HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Great Video for Parents with Kids in Youth Hockey

Old
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
AngryBoss

vCash: 500
Great Video for Parents with Kids in Youth Hockey

From KuklasKorner:
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/

Quote:
This is from a blog post that 11 year old Miller Donnelly wrote for CBC.ca, sharing the story of why he made the remarkable (and effective) video embedded below:

People often ask me why I wrote it. Well, I was simply fed up with all of the parents yelling at me and my teammates. Theyd yell something like, Use your head! and I wanted to yell back I thought I was using my head. It was just a bad play I made because Im learning the game. Then the same guy would say, Good game, Miller! as Im walking out of the arena. Whats up with that? I felt that if they were going to treat me like a kid when I walked by them then they should treat me like a kid when Im playing hockey too. And so I wrote the speech about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjBv...layer_embedded

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
MikeD

Our hockey org has the link to it posted on our Community BB.

OUTSTANDING VIDEO that shouldbe required viewing at Teams first parent meetings!!

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
noobman

I'm sending that to all of my friends...

Sometimes I regret the fact that my parents didn't know what hockey *was* until I asked them to play at age fourteen, but on the other hand I'm glad that I was able to avoid the nonsense that is Canadian minor hockey.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:18 PM
MerryJ99

Great Video! They should make a commercial out of this! Play it during minor Hockey week!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:48 AM
IniNew

Amazing video. Being from Texas we don't have many magical hockey helmets as much as magical football helmets. It's down right ridiculous down here.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 04:13 AM
vivianmb

the first time i ever coached, i was assistant to a guy that had played D-1. we coached a high school hockey team, in PA.
after the first practice, he called all of the parents in for a "speech".
the "speech " was this..."there is not one kid on this team that will EVER make the NHL... so lose the dream NOW."
then he walks out and leaves me to deal with it.

that team went 19-1 and won the title game 10-0.
on a side note we had one kid play in the UHL.(one of my defensemen!!!)

we never had any problems with any parents.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Mathies_dane

Send a message via AIM to Mathies_dane Send a message via MSN to Mathies_dane
WOW great video. I know on my brothers hockey team that they had a meeting between the team manager the coaches and the parents. A set of guidelines were given and all parents abide by them.

Mathies_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Phaser

Ya i finally gave up ice hockey when i was playing rec league and the coach was being an absolute dick to the players who weren't playing well, even though it was all for fun

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Amazing video. Being from Texas we don't have many magical hockey helmets as much as magical football helmets. It's down right ridiculous down here.
I can imagine.
It's a shame really. And I bet if you talk to those parents that go nuts, they'll believe they aren't bad sports parents.

The CBC ran something similar to this a few years back where they'd visit rinks and videotape parents reacting to their kids games.

In one game, a father and uncle were screaming their heads off - at the ref, the coaches, opposing players, and their own kid.
They were making ***** out of themselves.

After the game the CBC interviewed them asking how they felt about over exuberant hockey parents.
Both of them calmly stated that there's no room for this in hockey and they're just kids and to enjoy it.
That's when the host showed them the video of how ridiculous they had acted. Both seemed shocked at what they saw.
That was the scariest part. These two guys thought they were good hockey parents/supporters, and yet they clearly were not.

I'm sure some of these people have no idea they're acting inappropriately.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote