HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/6/09 Habs at Thrashers- Protest Against The Atlanta Spirit Group Night!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2009, 07:58 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
3/6/09 Habs at Thrashers- Protest Against The Atlanta Spirit Group Night!!

A small man I know has a big idea I would like to share with you.

Spread the Word

Make plans NOW

Let's all try to be part of the SOLUTION and tell the owners what we think of their stewardship of our hockey franchise.

Quote:
It is plain as the nose on Chris Thornburn's face that the Atlanta Spirit Grope Group is running this franchise into the ground. Like the owner of the Indians in the movie Major League, they are cutting every corner with the arena, the radio and TV broadcasts, players, staff, and sticking it to the fans in the way of higher ticket and concession prices. It’s as if they’ve received a copy of the old Bill Wirtz playbook. Because of this, the team continues to be a laughing stock of hockey. While this is apparent to the hockey fans in Atlanta, the rest of North America simply assumes that the city will not support the sport. Stories, columns, and blogs that report on empty seats and the team’s poor performance only help to support this notion…

I’m not one to organize these things, I consider myself more of an idea man, but you guys have just over a month before the Thrashers play the Habs on a Friday night in a game that will be broadcast across North America on the NHL Network both in the US and Canada, as well as RDS. <small>The Thrashers also play the Caps a few weeks later on Vs, RIS, and TSN2 (Canada’s ESPN2), but me thinks the Habs game on a Friday night would pull a much bigger audience than the Caps on a Monday…</small> This would be a perfect opportunity to steal an idea from the Detroit Lions! Round up all of your hockey loving friends (via beer and bribes if need be) and bring them to the game to show the hockey world that Atlanta HAS hockey fans, but the Thrashers have crappy owners. It’s a FRIDAY!! Get out! Take advantage of all of the ticket deals that are being floated around… Through the team… Through the AAHL… Through $10 seats… Through scalpers... Then, make a point to voice your displeasure DIRECTLY AT THE OWNERS via signs, banners, chants, paper bags, etc… Keep them short and on point. This ISN'T about the players, the GM, or the coaches. Everything should be directed at the ownership, they are the ones ruining hockey in Atlanta.

Who’s with me??

Last edited by btn: 02-07-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
GetPucksDeep

I'll go, if I win the Blueland Blog trivia tickets that night.
It doesn't matter. Atlanta Spirit is broke. They won't spend money they don't have.

Old
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I'll go with a paper bag

Old
02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
HockeyWench

No offense against anyone but that is the dumbest thing I have heard of. For one that was done in football and this is hockey. People all around the league know that all arenas are low in attendence due to the economy so having a full arena with people holding signs and wearing bags over their heads does nothing but make the fan base and the team an even bigger laughing stock. It also shows major disrespect to the coaches and players and the last thing the fans need to do is make them feel worse than they do already. This is also a disrespect to fans who do not share the views of such immature behaivior. If people are trying to get the attention of ownership this is so not the way to do it. It will get you absolutely no where trust me I know that first hand. All this accomplishes is making all the fans here look like dumb southern redneck trash. I am a native here in Atlanta and so hate being labeled as a redneck and unknowledgeable of hockey just because I am from the South. So let me just say THANKS A LOT in advance to those of you who participate in this idea.

Flame me if you wish I do not care. What I do care about is how myself and other fans get viewed when this stunt goes down. I also care about how the team I love is going to feel about it as well. This is not the way to make players want to come to Atlanta but further push away anyone who we are trying to keep here or get!

Old
02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
i don't think im gonna be participating in this idea but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna be at this game. i kinda wanna see us whoop the canadiens cause my friend from canada is a huge montreal fan plus we're undefeated when i go to the games hehe

Old
02-08-2009, 09:59 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWench View Post
No offense against anyone but that is the dumbest thing I have heard of. For one that was done in football and this is hockey. People all around the league know that all arenas are low in attendence due to the economy so having a full arena with people holding signs and wearing bags over their heads does nothing but make the fan base and the team an even bigger laughing stock. It also shows major disrespect to the coaches and players and the last thing the fans need to do is make them feel worse than they do already. This is also a disrespect to fans who do not share the views of such immature behaivior. If people are trying to get the attention of ownership this is so not the way to do it. It will get you absolutely no where trust me I know that first hand. All this accomplishes is making all the fans here look like dumb southern redneck trash. I am a native here in Atlanta and so hate being labeled as a redneck and unknowledgeable of hockey just because I am from the South. So let me just say THANKS A LOT in advance to those of you who participate in this idea.

Flame me if you wish I do not care. What I do care about is how myself and other fans get viewed when this stunt goes down. I also care about how the team I love is going to feel about it as well. This is not the way to make players want to come to Atlanta but further push away anyone who we are trying to keep here or get!
I respectfully disagree. I think this is a great idea. Message to the league and to the frigging anti-Southern hockey media that there are fans in Atlanta and we do care but we're pissed about the ownership issues.

Old
02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Selanne08*

great idea . ill be in finland though

Old
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
The league needs no message. I and a couple other people spoke to a couple of officials (at the last Toronto game), and they are well aware of the problem here. They know Waddell is the problem, and they know the ownership is, at best, questionable. The league anticipates Waddell being sent packing once the ownership lawsuit is settled.

Fun fact: The league has absolutely no idea WHO owns the Thrashers!

Secondly, it's disingenuous to claim the ASG is all out of money. It appears logical, but is it true? We've seen no cashflow statements. We actually have no idea what the ASG is worth, or how much money they have.

Having said all that, I love a good protest. I've been trying to organize one for months, now. "Operation Pink Slip" wasn't a success (again, took place at the Toronto game), but it did make the few of us who participated feel good. Especially after giving up three goals in the first period.

Count me in. Free tickets, discounted, or full price -- doesn't matter to me. I'll be in attendance.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:

I agree with fatschoonerrat. Doing something like this demonstrates that we show up and care about this franchise. The signs we should be carrying won't be attacking the coach or the players, they'll be attacking ownership for what they're doing to hockey in Atlanta. I don't think the players will get upset about that.

Old
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Tommy Hawk

The players I know will appreciate the support of the players and giving a message they themselves can not - the ownership group and upper management (Waddell) are slime.

Waddell has a tendency of lying to players (Larose, Haydar, Krog, Giroux, etc. just to name a few) and giving them one way deals and telling them not to worry your spot in Atlanta is secure then going out and signing even more 3rd/4th line players (Sim, Metropolit,etc.).

If I lived there or was going to be in Atlanta that day, I would do it.

Old
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post

Fun fact: The league has absolutely no idea WHO owns the Thrashers!
Anyone else think of Denis Lemieux when reading this statement.

Count me in for the Habs game. I definitely think that the $10 tickets is the best option. Why throw good money to a bad ownership?

It's obvious that voting with our wallets isn't going to change things. ASG seems to not give a damn that they lost a huge chunk of their season ticket base. The Thrashers seem to be more and more like they were a throw in by Time-Warner (Kind of like the bamboo steamer thrown in when you buy a set of Ginsu Knives.).

You have members of the ASG ownership that cannot afford to throw any more money into the teams and as a result have seen their ownership stakes shrink. Rutherford Seydel made his situation known in testimony during the David McDavid v. Time-Warner lawsuit. They cannot take on any additional investors because of the lawsuit with Steve Belkin (Dominique Wilkins was supposed to have taken a stake in ASG before all of the Belkin brouhaha was stirred up and because of it, he is still on the sidelines in terms of an ownership stake.).

At this point, publicly calling out the ownership is what needs to be done. This needs to be done not only at Thrashers games, but also at Hawks games.

I've got an idea for the emblem of the movement. A flag flown upside down is considered to be a distress signal. I would suggest that we as Thrashers fans, take the symbol foisted upon us by this ownership and turn it upside down.

Old
02-13-2009, 09:07 AM
hydromel

Quote:
No offense against anyone but that is the dumbest ...... southern redneck trash. I am a native ... redneck and unknowledgeable of hockey ......

Flame me if you wish ......!
You couldn't be more wrong.
First of all, the team couldn't BE a bigger laughing stock than it already is. This team is at rock bottom (still). I don't think that some fans expressing their feelings about the direction this franchise has been headed would do any more at keeping players from wanting to come here than the fact that this team is a losing team with disfunctional owners and well-intentioned but less than capable GM is keeping players from coming here.
I am glad that you are sensitive to the players feelings and everything but they know as well as we do how much they suck this year. They know better than we do the reasons why.
I am pretty sure that they won't take it personally, if they even care.
Besides, what else are fans to do? We have already spoken by not attending games. It doesn't seem to have changed anything. What will?
At least this will show those who are watching that there are fans down here and that they are tired of the season in and season out mis-management of the team and that we care enough to show up and express our discontent. And rightfully so. This, in fact, is long overdue.
I think that hockey fans watching on TV would be nodding their heads in support in that they would be doing the same thing if their team is, was, and has been a perennial loser since its inception.

Old
02-13-2009, 10:51 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You know what.

Whether you agree with it or not, lets just fill the damn place.

One of the many bad things about the Thrashers stinking, is that the building is never full. Philips Arena is a heck of alot of fun when the place is packed. The boos are louder, the AWWWWs when we almost score a goal are louder, and the place goes nuts when we score.

Let's treat ourselves to a sold out building for this piss poor team at least once more this year.

Let's show the hockey world that we do care, unlike some parts of the organization.

Old
02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
You know what.

Whether you agree with it or not, lets just fill the damn place.

One of the many bad things about the Thrashers stinking, is that the building is never full. Philips Arena is a heck of alot of fun when the place is packed. The boos are louder, the AWWWWs when we almost score a goal are louder, and the place goes nuts when we score.

Let's treat ourselves to a sold out building for this piss poor team at least once more this year.

Let's show the hockey world that we do care, unlike some parts of the organization.

good post, i agree.

only problem is with all of the french canadiens that are gonna say "look they filled the building, but its only because the canadiens are in town"

Old
02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
good post, i agree.

only problem is with all of the french canadiens that are gonna say "look they filled the building, but its only because the canadiens are in town"
They wish. I was at the last Habs game at Philips and was expecting to be bombarded with bleu, blanc, and rouge. For an original 6 team to bring that few people in a city of transplants, they should be embarrassed. Nowhere near the level of Sabres, Flyers, Penguins, or Hawks fans that I've seen at Philips.

Old
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Bongo

Quote:

This protest isn't against the players or the coach, it's against the ownership. There isn't a whole lot a fan can do about bad owners. I'm sick of being a laughingstock. I'm sick of inept management. I'm sick of these businessmen killing the sport I love in my hometown. What can I do about it? Boycott isn't an option. About the only thing we have is our voices. Screw one game. At the 10 minute mark of every period, every home game, we need to chant Atlanta Spirit Sucks.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
If I can get that day off I'll be there!

Old
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
HockeyWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
This protest isn't against the players or the coach, it's against the ownership. There isn't a whole lot a fan can do about bad owners. I'm sick of being a laughingstock. I'm sick of inept management. I'm sick of these businessmen killing the sport I love in my hometown. What can I do about it? Boycott isn't an option. About the only thing we have is our voices. Screw one game. At the 10 minute mark of every period, every home game, we need to chant Atlanta Spirit Sucks.

I understand how you feel trust me. I have been a STH for a few years now and have had hopes our team would do better and go farther. The people in Philadelphia are still being made fun of for bags over their heads over twenty years later. Is that what we want here? No. The signs are a different story. Voice your opinion and beliefs. One jerk has already taken this little idea after it was posted and stood next to the glass during warmups with a bag over his head and took a piece of tape, placed it over the Thrashers name on his jersey and wrote slackers. That is the kind of BS we do not need and is completely disrepectful.

Respectfully how much more of all this campaining against ownership is going to go on? As a fan of this team, and many others share this same opinion, I am tired of having to go to game after game for a second season in a row with people continually protesting in one way or another. It gets old. Last season it was petitions, email campaigns, signs, t-shirts and a STH revolt. When is it ever going to end, when the team leaves? I mean come on. Before everyone carries this out, everyone needs to step back take a deep breath and wait until this lawsuit is done. Nothing can be or will be done about any type of ownership by anyone including the NHL until this is settled. Any kind of fan campaigning about anything right now is a waste of time and effort. Why not wait until it does?

Old
02-16-2009, 07:05 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
When is it ever going to end, when the team leaves? I mean come on. Before everyone carries this out, everyone needs to step back take a deep breath and wait until this lawsuit is done. Nothing can be or will be done about any type of ownership by anyone including the NHL until this is settled. Any kind of fan campaigning about anything right now is a waste of time and effort. Why not wait until it does?
First of all, the team isn't leaving. That card is just about as pointlessly played as a "rules" card that was accidentally shuffled into the deck.

Secondly, you're right in the sense that we won't know anything until the lawsuit is done. Hence why this is scheduled for a date after which the lawsuit should be done. Time will tell.

Thirdly, campaigning like this makes the fans feel good. Wins are good, but a right good protest can really bring people together. Especially people with a common interest. Many of us here want to see Waddell fired. An example: I made a few "FIRE WADDELL" signs, hoisted them up at Sec216 during the most recent Toronto game, and it attracted a whole lot of positive attention. We were down 3-0 after the first period, and fans were cheering upon seeing the signs.

You might think it embarrassing or disrespectful for us as fans to display our displeasure, but the fact remains that until displeasure is displayed, no one has any motivation to make any meaningful changes. A fine example from last season, where the fans in Washington was calling for the head of former coach Hanlon during a game where they got stomped by our own Thrashers. Hanlon was terminated the next day. The fans spoke out, and spoke loudly. Response was swift.

The chanting you complain about is routinely drowned out by the mascot and his drum. The STH "revolt" hasn't worked. The petitions, e-mails, and even that "Fire Waddell" website, which is ill maintained and has been collecting dust for quite a while, just haven't worked. This is the next step. Agree, disagree, whatever. Obviously, we have our differences of opinion. The fact is, however, that a vast majority of fans have just about had it with the "wait and see" stuff. It's time for action, and said action should be swift and should be loud.

If the lawsuit is resolved, Waddell is fired, and a more intelligent GM is brought in, I can see the wind being yanked out of the sails of this protest. If all the above doesn't happen, then anticipate this protest to follow through.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

It's a nice idea and all but it's not enough. In order to get the message across and make a statment one has to do something big, not a bunch of little things to show ones displeasure. Chants will go unheard, signs will go unread, and the paper bag gimmick would be looked at as a satire for a dismal season, not poor ownership.

In order to get the message across organize a 3rd period walk out or something else that's bold. I'm pretty sure the message would be become crystal clear when 10,000 fans stand up and walk out in the middle of the 3rd period. Will things change imeditaly? absolutley not, but it's a bold enough statement for the owners to understand the fans and the city of Atlanta are sick and tired of how they run business. It's far easier said than done to organize such a large movement, but the venues exist to get the message out.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Ashe

I don't know about unheard. This is a nationally televised game here in Canada on TSN. So i definately think people will take notice at how upet you guys are. Hell, I plan on wearing my thrashers jersey to the bar to watch the game, and tell people to "Read the signs" About my team. Im ****ing proud of my team. I am NOT proud of the way they are run.

I have no problem telling people here, in a city filled with Habs, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Leaf, Sens Fans, That I. Am A Thrasher Fan. And am rightfully the ONLY one here who is a fan, and im not afraid to express is. Hell Army/Christenson when they were here in the summer, came up to me and we chatted for 30 minutes about the Thrashers (Some charity road hockey game)And they both knew things are done wrong. They were shocked to see someone with one of they're jerseys, Let alone a toque, Hat, and a Game Puck for them to sign for me.

This is EXACTLY what needs to be done. Show how ashamed you are to having to watch this **** show of an ownership group. The players know it, The coach knows it. Hell the fans know it. Its about time someone does something about it for once.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
I have no problem telling people here, in a city filled with Habs, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Leaf, Sens Fans, That I. Am A Thrasher Fan.
I'm from Detroit, as a couple of you might know. As such, I was born a Red Wings fan. I get a lot of crap about that down here from all the Thrashers fans, come playoff time - particularly when they're cheering on teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and NY Rangers. But I'm also a Thrashers fan, and I get a LOT of crap about that from my friends back up north.

I was a Wings fan when they were still in the dumps. I started watching them when I was three years old, during the 1983-1984 season. I couldn't see them on TV (I've been living here since before then), but my relatives used to send VHS tapes down so I could see some of their games. I also tried to keep up with them in the sports pages of national papers. So its not like being a Wings fan is a new thing for me. Despite all the lumps they took, I was still proud of the team. I'm proud to be from Detroit, and proud of my city.

Having said that, I tell those guys up there the same thing. I'm proud to be a Thrashers fan. I may not like the city of Atlanta, but I will always be proud to have lived here and experienced hockey in Atlanta. The fans here are something special. They tend to love the sport - live and breathe it, really. The way this organization is being run is disenchanting a great many fans, and it's about time the ownership group is put on notice that we're not going to take it anymore.

I'm behind any protest that could garner the attention of the proper parties. The NHL knows Atlanta can sustain a hockey team. The future of hockey isn't on "thin ice" in Atlanta, as some would lead you to believe.

It's a little scary, the trial and all, and the prospects of the team being sold. But if these owners know just one thing, it's that if the Thrashers move, the Philips name drops off the arena. If that happens, the ownership loses a ton of money. Sure, they could find another party to sell the naming rights to, but that takes time.

I'm proud of the Thrashers, night in and night out, even if they're dogging it out there. Every missed shot, every soft goal, and every odd-man rush given up... I'm still proud of the team, and still a fan regardless.

When I move back to Detroit (an inevitability), I'll still rock the Thrashers blue.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Bongo

I just posted a link to this thread on the "Official" Thrashers board. It lasted all of about 30 seconds then I got this response:

"We take a very hands off approach to moderating the team message boards and we allow virtually limitless criticism of the players, coaches, management, and owners as long as it is in good taste and pertains to the on-ice product. However, these message boards will not be used to organize a protest against the owners of the team. Your post containing the link to the HFboards has been removed."

Old
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Ashe

Can someone just link the thrashers section, and kinda put "Read the sticky threads, and come join us for logical thrasher talk"

Its kinda beating around the bush there.

Old
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
In order to get the message across organize a 3rd period walk out or something else that's bold. I'm pretty sure the message would be become crystal clear when 10,000 fans stand up and walk out in the middle of the 3rd period. Will things change imeditaly? absolutley not, but it's a bold enough statement for the owners to understand the fans and the city of Atlanta are sick and tired of how they run business. It's far easier said than done to organize such a large movement, but the venues exist to get the message out.

This may work in some markets but I cannot see this happening in Atlanta. If we're losing this activity is the normal course of action. Our barn gets empty early when we lay an egg

If we're winning? That happens so infrequently that we're stunned into not moving at all. They actually have to prod us to get us to leave after the 3 stars presentation.

Closed Thread