HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/6/09 Habs at Thrashers- Protest Against The Atlanta Spirit Group Night!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
dj4aces

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Interesting twist: The STH "town hall meeting" is also on this date.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Bongo

What a coincidence. Here's the question I hope get's asked:

"Back in 1999 you had a five year plan to turn the Thrashers into a playoff caliber team. Admittedly, the Dany Heatley incident and the Pasi Nurminen injury hurt that plan somewhat. But it's now 10 years later and the Thrashers show no sign of being any closer to being a playoff caliber team than they were in 1999. Thrashers defense has consistently been ranked among the 5 worst teams in the league, year in and year out. The offense has had it's moments but is too inconsistent to ever really have been playoff caliber. Why should we have any faith in your ability to assemble that "playoff caliber" team that you promised us a decade ago? And since you're still the General Manager, why should we have any faith that Thrashers ownership cares one whit about the Thrashers on-ice performance?"

Old
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
What a coincidence. Here's the question I hope get's asked:

"Back in 1999 you had a five year plan to turn the Thrashers into a playoff caliber team. Admittedly, the Dany Heatley incident and the Pasi Nurminen injury hurt that plan somewhat. But it's now 10 years later and the Thrashers show no sign of being any closer to being a playoff caliber team than they were in 1999. Thrashers defense has consistently been ranked among the 5 worst teams in the league, year in and year out. The offense has had it's moments but is too inconsistent to ever really have been playoff caliber. Why should we have any faith in your ability to assemble that "playoff caliber" team that you promised us a decade ago? And since you're still the General Manager, why should we have any faith that Thrashers ownership cares one whit about the Thrashers on-ice performance?"
Wasn't this question essentially asked before in the form of, "why do you still have a job?"

Old
02-19-2009, 01:58 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Wasn't this question essentially asked before in the form of, "why do you still have a job?"
Yeah... and Waddell always seems to come away looking better when people throw those at him, he probably rehearses his answer to that question 15 times a night in the mirror.

Old
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Ashe

I think DW is actually an HF board member who throws out all the ridiculous thrasher player trades to see if we'd like them or not.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
I think DW is actually an HF board member who throws out all the ridiculous thrasher player trades to see if we'd like them or not.
Dammit, my cover's been blown....

Old
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
HockeyWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Interesting twist: The STH "town hall meeting" is also on this date.
This happened at the same time last season. There was a TH Meeting right after the trade deadline then. It takes time to plan these so it is only a coincidence and has nothing to do with the chaos going on.

Old
02-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Somebody from the Chicken asked it, maybe Falconer or Letnonein(sp).

It was good talking to you the other night.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
machoki

Listen, I know one of the owners, Bruce Levenson. Maybe they don't have money, but i'm sure that he'll do anything to save the hockey in Atlanta.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Bongo

Then tell him to sell the team to someone who gives a damn and has a clue.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoki View Post
Listen, I know one of the owners, Bruce Levenson. Maybe they don't have money, but i'm sure that he'll do anything to save the hockey in Atlanta.
Maybe that is so. However, you have to look at the big picture.

Waddell should have been fired in 2007, after the quick playoff exit. Some would argue that he should have been canned earlier, but 2007 is a good date for me. He wasn't.

2007-08. What happened? We went from worst (Hartley fired) to first (Kovalchuk carried the team), then back to worst (Hossa, inevitably, traded) again. At one point last year, Atlanta was tied for first place with Carolina in the SE Div. They won a phenomenal game in New Jersey, where the shootout went something like 13 rounds before Atlanta won it. They followed that one up by laying a huge turd on Long Island, as well as losing eight more after that. Waddell remained employed through all that, and the off-season.

2008-09. New coach. Beautiful. New GM? Didn't happen. The highlights of this year include a re-signed Enstrom and the acquisition of Hainsey. We're on pace for something like 66 points on the year. Un-good. Atlanta is pretty much mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (Atlanta must go 21-0-1 to reach the 90pt threshold).

If you truly know Bruce (pardon me for taking that with a grain -- no, a bag -- of salt), do us all a favor and ask him why Waddell is still employed. Make our 10th anniversary in Atlanta a memorable one, and send the guy packing. That would be a beautiful start to 2009-10 (or a beautiful way to finish 2008-09).

Old
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The latest on this....according to some folks at the Nasty Nest the ushers made someone take down a handmade signs...and will not allow any handmade signs in the building on 3/6/9.

Funny how it took a fan launched effort to protest the ownership to force them to hold their first STH Townhall Meeting of the year....in March.

It is a shame the ASG seems to put more importance on their own image, than they do the success of this hockey franchise.

Old
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The latest on this....according to some folks at the Nasty Nest the ushers made someone take down a handmade signs...and will not allow any handmade signs in the building on 3/6/9.

Funny how it took a fan launched effort to protest the ownership to force them to hold their first STH Townhall Meeting of the year....in March.

It is a shame the ASG seems to put more importance on their own image, than they do the success of this hockey franchise.
Banning signs for that game sends the wrong message. It actually provides more ammo for their critics (I'm sure this will result in some pissed off Habs fans as well.). I wonder if they'll ban flags for this game as well. If not, they might as well, lest someone decides to fly theirs upside down.

I guess folks will have to go all Hogan's Heroes and do things covertly. Anyone for stuffing a cloth sign down their pants? Or perhaps sewing one on the inside of a jersey?

Old
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
dj4aces

The ASG have officially taken the bait.

Too bad it's too late. Other markets picked up on this thing a little while ago, and the ASG will only make this spread like wildfire.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

To be fair, the mod on the official board said that the sign ban was not correct. So I just want to put the other side out there.

I do know that it took the threat of a fan revolt for the Thrashers to hold their first STH Townhall meeting, and I had heard that there were supposed to be many STH meetings based on what was communicated to the STH over the summer.

My biggest fear now is that we hold a fan revolt and nobody shows up. We need to make sure that Philips is packed to the rafters on 3/6/9, protesters or no.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Blue32

The whole ban on signs March 6 has been blown way out of proportion based on an isolated incident last night. A sign ban RUMOR manifested out of that incident.

The mod's word is good.

Old
02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Holly Gunning

This will end badly.

Or well, depending on your perspective of course.

The Thrashers are very controlling with the "message." Uppity fans and national embarrassment are something scary for them. Popcorn, please.

Old
02-26-2009, 02:55 AM
DetroitThrasher

Try as they might, there's no way they can stop people from smuggling protest signs in.

Folded up poster board or cloth is easy to conceal under a jersey/down the back of your pants. And they expect people to have flags. Throw on a jacket and they'll never know, unless they plan on patting down every fan that walks through the door.

The Detroit Lions fans had this issue a few seasons ago. It was hilarious to watch security trying to chase down fans in the stands. Just keep passing the signs along. Or give them up if you don't want to get kicked out (haha). You'll have made your point by then. Even though there's no official sign ban, you know they'll try to confiscate protest signs.

If I didn't have to work I'd be there in a hot minute. I do plan on recording the game. Good luck, everybody!

Old
02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Bongo

The smartest thing AS could do is ignore this. Given their intelligence we'll probably all be clubbed senseless by ushers, beer sellers, and hired thugs thus making the national news for days. I guess I can take one for the team.

Old
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
machoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Maybe that is so. However, you have to look at the big picture.

Waddell should have been fired in 2007, after the quick playoff exit. Some would argue that he should have been canned earlier, but 2007 is a good date for me. He wasn't.

2007-08. What happened? We went from worst (Hartley fired) to first (Kovalchuk carried the team), then back to worst (Hossa, inevitably, traded) again. At one point last year, Atlanta was tied for first place with Carolina in the SE Div. They won a phenomenal game in New Jersey, where the shootout went something like 13 rounds before Atlanta won it. They followed that one up by laying a huge turd on Long Island, as well as losing eight more after that. Waddell remained employed through all that, and the off-season.

2008-09. New coach. Beautiful. New GM? Didn't happen. The highlights of this year include a re-signed Enstrom and the acquisition of Hainsey. We're on pace for something like 66 points on the year. Un-good. Atlanta is pretty much mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (Atlanta must go 21-0-1 to reach the 90pt threshold).

If you truly know Bruce (pardon me for taking that with a grain -- no, a bag -- of salt), do us all a favor and ask him why Waddell is still employed. Make our 10th anniversary in Atlanta a memorable one, and send the guy packing. That would be a beautiful start to 2009-10 (or a beautiful way to finish 2008-09).

Yes you are right. I don't know him that well, we just change mails. But all I can see, that he doesn't have any money, but he still wants to help the team. I was chocked when Hossa got traided, but after that, we made decent signings, didn't we? And when they could, they spent the money... But I think they thought really short term. Mellenby, Holik, Tkachuk... These were horrible signings. They were good, but they weren't good enough. I think they destroyed the image of the "young, fast' thrashers, that I knew. We should have made everything to keep Savard allso... Anyway, I'm just saying that the Atlanta Spirit is doing everything to run the Thrashers, maybe they made some errors in the past season, but they always wanted the best.

Who would you bring instead of Waddell? I mean he knows the team the best, doesn't he? But right know, at this point I think he should stay. He should've been fired after the playoffs, ur right. But I think this is the last opportunity for him. If he can't resign Kovalchuk, you could basicly say, that he destroyed the Thrashers.

Old
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Who would you bring instead of Waddell? I mean he knows the team the best, doesn't he? But right know, at this point I think he should stay. He should've been fired after the playoffs, ur right. But I think this is the last opportunity for him. If he can't resign Kovalchuk, you could basicly say, that he destroyed the Thrashers.
To be honest, this is the heart of the problems that most Thrashers fans have with the team.

You say you want to bring the Cup to Atlanta, yet after the 3rd worst record in the NHL, they stick with Waddell....and they also raised ticket prices.

When you look at the last two seasons, and ask who would you bring in instead of Waddell...I would say who could do worse?

Old
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Who would you bring instead of Waddell? I mean he knows the team the best, doesn't he?
Just throwing any old name out there, I would say Yzerman. Granted, he has stated that he will not consider NHL GM offers until after the 2010 Olympics... and the likelihood of Atlanta convincing him to come here is slim to none... but that is one glaringly obvious selection.

Another would be Pat Quinn -- a man who already has a connection with Atlanta, in that he is a former Atlanta Flame. What better way to celebrate hockey in Atlanta than to bring in someone who has a history in Atlanta? Furthermore, he helped assemble a kick-ass Canadian WJC team. I think he deserves a shot at turning this franchise around.

Just because Waddell "knows the team," however, doesn't mean he shouldn't be canned. Consider all of the coaches and GMs that have been canned. They knew their teams, too. However, they sucked. That's what we're faced with here. Sure, D-Wad knows our team. Inside and out, even. Unfortunately, even after nine years to get it right, he still hasn't.

It's time to let the current sweep this grain of sand out to sea, and put an end to the collective misery of Thrashers fans everywhere.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Holly Gunning

Change just for change's sake would even be a good move at this point. Pickiness is an advanced topic.

Old
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
machoki

You could be right.. but Pat Quinn? He was the GM for Toronto also, for a couple of years. But I don't think he made any good signings. Another fact is that right know he is one of the owners of the Vancouver Giants in WHL. I'm not sure that he would take this job.. All tough he has nothing to loose....

Actually I think Yzerman would be great. Wich player wouldn't like to be apart of his team?? But of course money is alawys a problem..

Old
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...g-their-faces/

Closed Thread