HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Brindy out?! Call up Dreamy Keith! Oh wait....

Old
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Love to see the feistyness from the kid, but please put one a good bit more weight before dropping them. He's going to be nasty when he gets some size, but I get the feeling that's at least a couple more seasons off. At least a couple... hell we're still waiting for Staal to fill out.

Ok, so LaRose only has hands shorthanded I guess.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

vCash: 500
Chad LaRose on the PK is win

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Chad makes up for previous misses- with a 5 on 3 shorthanded goal.

Or had one expired?

NVM, one had. Plain old shorty.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Third time's the charm for Larose. With every goal he scores he's one step closer to leaving Carolina.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Sens1Canes2

Boy, LaRose can turn the hands on and off...sometimes he's sick, and sometimes he makes you sick.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813
Cullen with an assist. Nice.

Tank King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
... With every goal he scores he's one step closer to leaving Carolina.
that my friend is an ugly truth.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

That was a nice change in pace. Been a while since we've scored a bunch of goals.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:37 PM
dmonk
doughberle

4 points out of 6 on the road is pretty much a picture perfect.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:37 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Indeed, this offseason someone is going to offer him 1.5 per thinking that they're getting a 3rd liner that can chip in 20 goals per season. And that person certainly isn't going to go by the name of Jim Rutherford.

I figured 4 in 6 would mean a good road trip. Just didn't figure we would get the wins over the two teams we did. Scary thing is that if it wasn't for a Pitkanen brainfart and/or if Massive Hoser didn't blow the Sutter goal it could have been a clean sweep on the road trip.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Indeed, this offseason someone is going to offer him 1.5 per thinking that they're getting a 3rd liner that can chip in 20 goals per season. And that person certainly isn't going to go by the name of Jim Rutherford.

I figured 4 in 6 would mean a good road trip. Just didn't figure we would get the wins over the two teams we did. Scary thing is that if it wasn't for a Pitkanen brainfart and if Massive Hoser didn't blow the Sutter goal it could have been a clean sweep on the road trip.
If we can get rid of Brookbank and Melichar we can get rid of anyone. I bet we find some salary for 2/3 of Ruutu,LaRose, and Seidenberg. And we trade the odd one out at the deadline

Old
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
What a complete effort! That my friends is what a I call a fun game to watch... And I for one will be a very unhappy camper on the day that Rosie leaves Raleigh.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
If we can get rid of Brookbank and Melichar we can get rid of anyone. I bet we find some salary for 2/3 of Ruutu,LaRose, and Seidenberg. And we trade the odd one out at the deadline
Why would we want to trade any of them? We probalby want to resign all or at least 2/3 of them, and def want to keep Ruutu.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Why would we want to trade any of them? We probalby want to resign all or at least 2/3 of them, and def want to keep Ruutu.
Yeah we want to resign all but if we can't fit them under our budget then we should get something out of it

Old
02-07-2009, 10:50 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I feel the play of Rodney and the eventual ascention of guys like Borer, Carson, and McBain makes Seidenberg fairly expendable. Alot more expendable than a guy like Ruutu, or even LaRose.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Three stars of the game

Samsonov
Ruutu
Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I feel the play of Rodney and the eventual ascention of guys like Borer, Carson, and McBain makes Seidenberg fairly expendable. Alot more expendable than a guy like Ruutu, or even LaRose.
I tend to agree. I am also surprised how good Babchuk looks right now, and if Anton continues this play than makes Seids even more expendable.

Old
02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Anyone in their right mind knows this kid will never hit 220lbs. He was 6-3 170 when drafted. That's 50lbs! Not happening. I'd be happy to see him at 200lbs but even to get there it's gonna be a tough road.
Never say never. You're right I think, chances are it won't happen. However, with that said there was a day when a young kid named Joe Thornton was 6'4 180 soaking wet. Today, he stands 6'4 235. Went from a boy to man and along the way he filled out his frame. 55 pounds later, he is one hell of a dominant force. You just never know. It seems so far out of reach, but it isn't impossible.

I was scared when I saw it was Sutter. All I was thinking was 'oh no, oh no'. The kid did ok. I can't wait to see him in a few years.

The entire team played a great game. Start to finish. I loved the fact that we did not step off the gas pedal in the 3rd period. We just kept going. We dictated how the game would finish and gave Phoenix no chance to come back. I was mostly impressed with Ruutu and Samsonov. They were once again the impact players we need them to be. Staal had a nice game aswell. Cullen again is proving game after game that he can be a second line center. Still very impressed with that line of Cullen, Whitney and Williams. I'll say it again, I am not sold, but for each passing game I am becoming more and more of a believer in #8. I just want to see it become consistent in the long haul.

We dominated in the faceoff circle for once, so that was icing on the cake.

I agree 100% with Cardiac_Canes when he says for each goal LaRose scores, it puts him one step close to leaving Carolina. When he scored his 12th goal tonight, that was my exact thoughts. I have a hard time seeing JR shedding out the money Chad will probably be asking for. Which is to bad. We've really given him an opportunity and he has really excelled. My hat is off to him. If he can do better elsewhere, he has earned every penny. I have a feeling he won't ever have and put up the points and be utilized like he is here, which could be a shame. I guess you don't know until you cross the bridge. Hopefully he doesn't try to cross it. I hope he stays, but I can understand every reason he would have for playing elsewhere. For a small guy who was never drafted, he's having one hell of a career in the best league in the world.

4 days off now as we head back home for a 2 game stand. This will be a good time for the team to rest after a very successful road trip. These next four days should help some injured bodies. Can't say I am really looking forward to a 'healthy' lineup as the one we have right now is getting the job done. With that said, it's gunna be one hell of a game vs Florida. Hope the team is ready and can continue this surge of good, solid hockey.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
semin4captain

Jokinen 13-for-16 in face-offs tonight.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Jokinen 13-for-16 in face-offs tonight.
Whole-e-shat. Take as much time as you need, Brindy.

I was really hoping to see Jokinen get some time on the PP this game but it was just clicking too well as it was to try to make changes. I think he'll eventually end up there.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Sutter has a much slighter frame than Thornton so it's a poor comparison imo. Anyone who has seen Sutter in shorts knows the kid has some serious chicken legs. He just doesn't have the frame to add that much size, I don't think.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:58 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Sammy's goal got the diet pepsi max highlight of the night on NHL on the FLY.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
Jokinen can pass. I would like to see him with Williams for a little.
That might be his best asset. Though he can pick a corner if given the opportunity. Just don't expect the greatest skater or a guy who's going to win a ton of puck battles along the boards. His defense has greatly improved from his rookie year, so he can get better. I'm just happy to see him out of hockey hell in Tampa. Jokinen was frustrating at times in Dallas but with the right linemates is a 40+ guy, which for basically a 4th is a great deal for Carolina. I'm wishing both him and y'all well.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:14 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
That might be his best asset. Though he can pick a corner if given the opportunity. Just don't expect the greatest skater or a guy who's going to win a ton of puck battles along the boards. His defense has greatly improved from his rookie year, so he can get better. I'm just happy to see him out of hockey hell in Tampa. Jokinen was frustrating at times in Dallas but with the right linemates is a 40+ guy, which for basically a 4th is a great deal for Carolina. I'm wishing both him and y'all well.
I know it's getting waaaaaaaay ahead of myself but if Brindy hangs it up and Jussi fits in like a fin on a dolphin (get it?), maybe we found ourselves a very cheap 3rd line center replacement... I didn't get to watch the game so I didn't see him, but I saw quite a bit of him the last 3 years and he's definitely better than what his stint in tampa indicates... I mean really who's doing well on that team this year? Vinny and Marty are having good years... but it's Vinny and Marty. That's what they do...

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
I know it's getting waaaaaaaay ahead of myself but if Brindy hangs it up and Jussi fits in like a fin on a dolphin (get it?), maybe we found ourselves a very cheap 3rd line center replacement... I didn't get to watch the game so I didn't see him, but I saw quite a bit of him the last 3 years and he's definitely better than what his stint in tampa indicates... I mean really who's doing well on that team this year? Vinny and Marty are having good years... but it's Vinny and Marty. That's what they do...
Carolina would have to offer Jokinen 100% of his salary number to retain his rights under a QO. Unless they decide to take him to arbitration, in which case they can ask for a 15% discount but no more than that amount.

I would imagine that Carolina at the end of the year will tender him for a season unless he flat out stinks here. I doubt he will command a raise, but usually RFAs do not take less than their QO. That isn't really looked well upon by the NHLPA.

If Carolina REALLY wanted to get creative, they could work out an extension for less than his total cap number this year without even having to worry about the QO.

I think Jokinen knows that he'll probably not get the $1.875 million he is due by his QO standards on the open market and if he has plans to stay in the NHL for the long term he is going to have to prove that his time in Tampa was an abberation. It wouldn't shock me to see Carolina go after him as a long term Cullen replacement .

Carolina will probably work until the 11th hour to get him signed below his QO but at the end of the day they may find themselves taking it. Who knows. It all depends on how he works out here.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:01 AM
urho

vCash: 728
Good game. Sammy and Ruutu were beasts!

Juice looked a bit lost out there sometimes but that's understandable in his first game with the new team. He showed his vision every now and then and proved to have good passing skill. I know this is early but I feel very good about this trade!

urho is offline   Reply With Quote