HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nash To Leafs

Old
02-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Marky9er

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan827 View Post

And why would he go from an unsuccessful team (thus far... may change this year) to an even WORSE off team. It would be foolish.
TO BE A GOLDEN GOD??

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:15 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
Bouwmeester was an RFA last summer not a UFA. If he hadn't signed that 1-year, $4.875 million contract with the Panthers, he and the team simply would've gone to salary arbitration.
I don't think thats what he meant, it looked like he was saying that Panthers fans would have said that there's no way they'd let Bouwmeester leave if there was a similar debate last year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
TO BE A GOLDEN GOD??
Nash needs to call up Luke Schenn and ask him about being a god in Toronto

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
No its not. Nash would be signing with one of the biggest hockey markets in the league. A signing like that doesn't only help the Leafs but it also helps Nash' pocketbook as well.

I am not saying it's going to happen, but you're kidding yourself if you think Nash staying with the Jackets is a sure thing. I'm sure FLA fans and other thought the same thing about JBo last season as well.
Nash's pocketbook isn't hurting in the least. He is making 6.5 million this year, will make 7 million next year and has filled his pocketbook nicely for several years. If you think Nash, the captain of the jackets, is the type to go someplace just for the money, you don't know anything about him.

It is the jackets priority to start negotiating with him as soon as they are legally eligible.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
Nash is the face of the Jackets, Columbus would never let him sign anywhere else...
It's not up to Columbus. It's up to Rick Nash.

Personally, I don't see it happening, but if there's any team outside of Columbus that has a shot, it's probably the Leafs.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFracing View Post
I'm not a 100% sure but i think it was Bobby Clark talking about it on tsn's "preveiw to the trade deadline show"

and i was reading something about it on a website called " the fourth peroid"

nothing that would be credited with any kind of set in stone links.
I watched the preview deadline show also.. there was nothing on this, and i just checked the fourth period, nothing on Nash signing with the leafs in the offseason. So your obviously making this up..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
JoeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
False its everyone in the world who wants to play for the leafs.
Yet, no one does and they have to give Blake and Finger quadruple what they are worth to play there and their team always sucks.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
suprvilce

It would be gread if he signed with Leafs, but i think Jackets will sign him long term.

suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
GeneralSwell

Would be awesome to see the hometown kid come home. Unfortunately Columbus will do everything in their power to keep him.

GeneralSwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Nash's pocketbook isn't hurting in the least. He is making 6.5 million this year, will make 7 million next year and has filled his pocketbook nicely for several years. If you think Nash, the captain of the jackets, is the type to go someplace just for the money, you don't know anything about him.

It is the jackets priority to start negotiating with him as soon as they are legally eligible.
Serious question: how much does Under Armour pay him? If Nash came to Toronto, Tim Horton's could have a new poster boy... the endorsement cash would be endless. Obviously, Nash would be a huge target for the Leaf's based on jersey sales alone, I would have to say #1 on their radar. For sure though, I could see Nash signing a loooong term deal in Columbus.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
No its not. Nash would be signing with one of the biggest hockey markets in the league. A signing like that doesn't only help the Leafs but it also helps Nash' pocketbook as well.

I am not saying it's going to happen, but you're kidding yourself if you think Nash staying with the Jackets is a sure thing. I'm sure FLA fans and other thought the same thing about JBo last season as well.
Strange, I thought he resigned with the Panthers last season. Who's he playing for this year again?

Is it a 100% sure thing? No. Highly likely he'll stay? Hell yes.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Serious question: how much does Under Armour pay him? If Nash came to Toronto, Tim Horton's could have a new poster boy... the endorsement cash would be endless. Obviously, Nash would be a huge target for the Leaf's based on jersey sales alone, I would have to say #1 on their radar. For sure though, I could see Nash signing a loooong term deal in Columbus.
I have no idea how much he makes in endorsements.

There is no question he could really cash in on those types of deals. The only thing that concerns me a bit with him being re-signed in Columbus is pressure from the NHLPA to get the most that he can get, although the wings have been signing players to hometown discounts for years so this pressure can be overcome.

Thing is, I am certain he is happy in Columbus, likes the direction the team is heading, likes the anonymity that Columbus provides (over and above the fish bowl that Toronto would be). He is a really private guy, low key guy and is comfortable in Columbus.

My guess is he signs a long term deal for around 7.5 million a year. The real plus with Nash is that he is only 24 so a long term deal would be appropriate.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Quote:

your so wrong it's not even funny, as many here may know I have a great connection in terms of rick nash that being his father in law, and I can tell you with most certainty that nash is not as set in stone to stay in Columbus as you may think and that yes he has always and still does wish to play for the Leafs. Nash comes home every summer and loves it here still has alot of strong relationships here and If there's one thing Nash loves more than money it's his mom who has a strong say in his decisions.

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHENNsational View Post
your so wrong it's not even funny, as many here may know I have a great connection in terms of rick nash that being his father in law, and I can tell you with most certainty that nash is not as set in stone to stay in Columbus as you may think and that yes he has always and still does wish to play for the Leafs. Nash comes home every summer and loves it here still has alot of strong relationships here and If there's one thing Nash loves more than money it's his mom who has a strong say in his decisions.
You are his father in law? When did Nash get married?

Did you hear that? That was the sound of your credibility going out the window...

Old
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Cappo40*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
Yet, no one does and they have to give Blake and Finger quadruple what they are worth to play there and their team always sucks.
Its about the History behind the franchise itself, not whether the team is good or not..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
Quote:
You are his father in law? When did Nash get married?

Did you hear that? That was the sound of your credibility going out the window...
Ya im gonna have to side with you, I don't recall Rick tying the knot. There goes your credibility bud.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Hon? Nash isn't married. Go play elsewhere.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:37 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post
Ya im gonna have to side with you, I don't recall Rick tying the knot. There goes your credibility bud.
lol , your right, had a brain freeze, I meant his step father, we worked together for a few years and in fact still meet at least once or twice a month at a local portuguese sports bar, his step dad is portuguese. further evidence is his steps dad's name is Carlos jose nicknamed paki by fellow employees in the construction sector, we worked together for a company called metro forming.

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
He was right about Nash living in Toronto after the season if anything. He trains here every summer and did grow up a Leafs fan.

Some players want to go home when the decision is theirs. I'm not sure if Nash is one of those guys, but I have a feeling that if there were any star player in the league that the Leafs could lure, it would be Nash.

Probably more likely that he comes to Toronto when hes past his prime after his big contract though.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:46 PM
hashmarks

It is pretty common knowledge that Nash, like pretty much every NHL player, don't live full time in the cities in which they play.

I am sure Nasher was a leafs fan when he was a kid, loads of Ontario kids are.

No, it isn't written in stone, but I hardly believe he is going ton hold Columbus ransom over signing in Toronto.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Deal Sealer

Quote:
lol , your right, had a brain freeze, I meant his step father, we worked together for a few years and in fact still meet at least once or twice a month at a local portuguese sports bar, his step dad is portuguese. further evidence is his steps dad's name is Carlos jose nicknamed paki by fellow employees in the construction sector, we worked together for a company called metro forming.
That sounds more like it, I can actually believe that, Nash is a UFA in 2010 tho right so if anything the leafs can trade with CBJ after next season if they fail to make a splash in the postseason. If they make the playoffs and are unreal next season which might be the case I find it highly unlikely he'd leave. I think Nash would end up coming toronto post prime like most stars end up doing. But in 7-10 years picture a savard nash tandem coming. Ive heard rumours marc savard will consider coming to toronto after his stint with Boston to play for his Leafs. Again its hearsay though so don't take offense please.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
leafscrazy

if the leafs get tavares somehow, then Nash bolts it to TO just to have Tavares feed him the puck all day long

leafscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Deal Sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafscrazy View Post
if the leafs get tavares somehow, then Nash bolts it to TO just to have Tavares feed him the puck all day long
Talk about a portuguese connection, next we need to get drew doughty, and mike ribeiro (hope not tho hes like cristiano ronaldo with respect to always diving)

Old
02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFracing View Post
why do you say that? leafs have cap room to offer and whay guy who hasnt played near toronto want to play for the leafs?
This is all we need to know about the op.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
leafscrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post
Talk about a portuguese connection, next we need to get drew doughty, and mike ribeiro (hope not tho hes like cristiano ronaldo with respect to always diving)
ribeiro and doughty are part portuguese? that's brand new information here

leafscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote