HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Avery - Should the thrashers make a claim?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Avery - Should the thrashers make a claim?

The team need his attitude on the ice. Someone that plays with passion and will get on his teammates if a lack of effort is shown.

Old
02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
i have to lean towards no on this one. in fact i lean so far towards no that i just fell on my head.

Old
02-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Ashe

Im the other way, I think Atlanta needs the influx of media attention that will get some people int he seats.
Someone who will cause a disturbance, and cause shti on the ice. And smoeone who gives a ****. The guys made enough money, you dont think if he didnt want to give it his all (like he always has) that he woul dof told off the stars?

After he enters re-entry waivers. ****ing take him. 1.8 mil for 3 years of Avery to piss off the entire division? Yes please.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Koval17

yes, hes a great player

Old
02-08-2009, 01:07 AM
blankspace6

Hell no. If you'd like to say goodbye to Kovalchuk, pick up Avery's 3 year contract.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Georgia Dawg

Absolutely not.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:25 AM
StevenintheATL

Here's a thought. Pick him up, hold on to him until the trade deadline and see what you can get for him. Since the only team with a worse record is the Isles, we'd have a pretty good shot at getting him. While I personally don't like his attitude and feel as though he could be more of a negative than a positive in the locker room, why not take a short term risk with him. Pick him up for the 10 games prior to the trade deadline (while the Thrashers have 11 games until the trade deadline, if they were to make a claim, he would definitely not be with the team in time for today's game) and see what teams need his grit and skills as they make a run for the playoffs and get some pieces for the future.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Koval17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
Here's a thought. Pick him up, hold on to him until the trade deadline and see what you can get for him. Since the only team with a worse record is the Isles, we'd have a pretty good shot at getting him. While I personally don't like his attitude and feel as though he could be more of a negative than a positive in the locker room, why not take a short term risk with him. Pick him up for the 10 games prior to the trade deadline (while the Thrashers have 11 games until the trade deadline, if they were to make a claim, he would definitely not be with the team in time for today's game) and see what teams need his grit and skills as they make a run for the playoffs and get some pieces for the future.
why would we trade him at the deadline, if a team wanted him, they owuld pick him up now? It would make no sense not goin for him then at the trade deadline give aay a player or a pick for Avery who was just a FA

Old
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

i hate the *******s in the media who get carreied away and some of the idiot fans who actually think he done something wrong.

Dallas fans should be pissed he did nothing wrong.

I would LOVE to have him in a Thrashers uniform. It would be the best thing to happen after drafting Johnathan Tavares.

Old
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
i hate the *******s in the media who get carreied away and some of the idiot fans who actually think he done something wrong.

Did you notice Dallas was playing terrible hockey while he was with the team? Have you noticed they're making a playoff push since he left?

Old
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koval17 View Post
why would we trade him at the deadline, if a team wanted him, they owuld pick him up now? It would make no sense not goin for him then at the trade deadline give aay a player or a pick for Avery who was just a FA
I'm guessing you're not familiar with the waiver process. While every team (outside of the team who places a player on waivers) is eligible to pick him up, the waiver claim priority is based on the records of the teams. The only team that has a worse record than Atlanta is the Islanders, so if the Isles don't make a claim and the Thrashers do, they would get his services. The teams that could best use his services may not be able to make a successful waiver claim if a team with worse record makes a claim on him. So there are 28 teams that would not get him if the Thrashers were to claim him on waivers.

Another thing you have to remember is that nobody at the beginning of the season would have imagined that he would become available in this manner. At best, conventional wisdom suggested that the only way he would leave Dallas this season was in a trade. Nobody expected him to be suspended and eventually waived until he made those comments which lead to the situation that is going on right now.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

NO!

Old
02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Ashe

Have you noticed that Turco sucked earlier this year?
As did the whole team?
They sucked with him, And Without him for awhile. Theyve just finally shaken ioff the rust.

NYR Seems to do pretty well with him dont you say?
I'd gladly take Avery instead of our 3rd/4th line(Minus reasoner/armstrong) right now.

EDIT : Just because Avery made a comment about his slutty ex girlfriend, in aj oking matter, things got over blown. Does anyone watch the stuff that gets said during games? Or other sports? The trash talking? Hell, Avery got how many for a comment? and slamming a guy face first into the boards is worth one or two? give me a break.
Get him back here, and show that we want him, and get him to play his ass off. If it doesnt work, send him in the waivers

Old
02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
fatschoonerrat

Do you like playing with fire? Sure, it might work out. But if it doesn't, it's probably the one thing that could put our team in a worse position than we're in now.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Shameus

Avery disrupted the Stars locker room and created a lot of tension and disharmony with that team. I say No. Kovy doesn't like him, and I honestly don't think pissing Kovy off and disrupting what little locker room harmony we might have is worth picking up Avery.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:18 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Lysenko: You went out with him on the ice on the same line?

Jagr: Sometimes, but we didn’t play well together. So Sean approached me and said with a serious face: “You played really badly.” And how do I respond to that? I answered with a sad face: “Sorry, Sean. I know, Sean. I’ll work to improve my performance.” In general, a joke, a story.

Lysenko: Here’s a guy that you should have with you at «Avangard»!

Jagr: No! [He throws his hands up and nearly falls out of his chair laughing.] Two years with him on «Rangers» was enough for me. Really, is it not possible to devise a lighter punishment?
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-john-grahame/

I know he is half-joking so this isn't the best example, but players just don't like the guy. And what kind of moron 3rd-liner thinks Jagr needs to be told he played a bad game? I can just imagine how well Kovy would take to that, haha. But really, the guys just a moron that can't even get along with his teammates. Teams that win cups without all-star lineups are cohesive units, there is no way he would fit in Atlanta.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Im the other way, I think Atlanta needs the influx of media attention that will get some people int he seats.
Someone who will cause a disturbance, and cause shti on the ice. And smoeone who gives a ****. The guys made enough money, you dont think if he didnt want to give it his all (like he always has) that he woul dof told off the stars?

After he enters re-entry waivers. ****ing take him. 1.8 mil for 3 years of Avery to piss off the entire division? Yes please.
Avery is a cancer. Period. Nobody who has played with him looks back on those days with fondness. Avery plays for himself and himself only. If you think he's a team-first guy, you're wrong.

You want this team to get media attention? Win a few games. Nothing gets peoples attention like a winning team.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

I would LOVE to have him in a Thrashers uniform. It would be the best thing to happen after drafting Johnathan Tavares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Have you noticed that Turco sucked earlier this year?
As did the whole team?
They sucked with him, And Without him for awhile. Theyve just finally shaken ioff the rust.

NYR Seems to do pretty well with him dont you say?
I'd gladly take Avery instead of our 3rd/4th line(Minus reasoner/armstrong) right now.

EDIT : Just because Avery made a comment about his slutty ex girlfriend, in aj oking matter, things got over blown. Does anyone watch the stuff that gets said during games? Or other sports? The trash talking? Hell, Avery got how many for a comment? and slamming a guy face first into the boards is worth one or two? give me a break.
Get him back here, and show that we want him, and get him to play his ass off. If it doesnt work, send him in the waivers
You two apparently did not understand the whole story. It wasn't the comments that cost Avery with the Dallas Stars. Tippetts TOLD him NOT to talk to the media at all why they were in Calgary. The media did not come up to him and ask him any questions, he went to where the media was around another player, called them all over to his locker, and then made his proclamation. He then said That is all I am going to say.

This was not the first time that he directly disobeyed instructions from Tippetts and/or management.

He also had ignored the team leaders telling him to quit behaving certain ways (quit being a jerk to your teammates).

Many of his former teammates have called him the worst teammate they ever had and hoped to never play with him again.

The Thrashers have enough of a circus surrounding the ownership and upper management that this would be an even bigger black eye for the franchise.

Closed Thread