HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for the not so young guys anymore to step up!

Old
02-07-2009, 09:33 PM
mario66lemieux*

vCash: 500
It's time for the not so young guys anymore to step up!

We can blame 36 year old Kovalev all we want, and he has not been playing up to par, not at all this year. But where are our not so young guys? No hab forward has more points then Kovalev this year. That just shows how INCOSISTENT and for some HORRIBLE a season they are having, yet nobody criticises them or pressures them to play better, or even expects them to play better.

I'm talking about

A Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Tomas Plekanec and Chris Higgins. Those four are our top forwards other then Kovalev and Koivu from the ones that are healthy now.

A Kost: 31 pts in 49 games, thats on pace for 51 pts, yet nobody expects more out of this seemingly highly skilled player who has great hands, vision, the best shot on the team and is built like a tank. For a guy who has all those attributes, why is he only on pace for 51 pts? He's 24 years old, he should do much better. Look at the superstars in this league, there all around that age and in some cases even younger. That is NO excuse.

Tomas Plekanec: 22 pts in 53 games, just a horrible season for him, on pace for 33 points. 33! The teams top center last year, "high flying, blazing speed, great shot, vision." Where is it? Does the on pace for 14 goals show any of them? He's 26 on top of that, UNACCEPTABLE.

Chris Higgins: 11 pts in 28 games, HORRIBLE just HORRIBLE. 26 years old, gets 20 million scoring chances a game yet cant burry one to save his life. I thought he had great puck protection skills, was a hard worker, nose for the net, all the attributes of a great scorer. Where is it? Scoring in only 5 games this year? Why does he get off so easily?

S Kostitsyn: 20 pts this year.. he has amazing vision, great hands right? Where are the results? Sure hes 21.. big deal, Alex Ovechkin is 21 and hes on pace to score 60 goals. Not comparing him to Ovy, but surely a 50 pt season shouldnt be out of the question for S Kost, yet he has only 20 so far this year?Why? Why cant he play as well as he can every night? Lack of effort? Probably, but then where is the blame?

I wont get to Price, because he's a goalie and just came back from an ankle injury, but those 4 really need to step it up, because theyve been just as bad as Kovalev, and people seem to be content with that.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
We can blame 36 year old Kovalev all we want, and he has not been playing up to par, not at all this year. But where are our not so young guys? No hab forward has more points then Kovalev this year. That just shows how INCOSISTENT and for some HORRIBLE a season they are having, yet nobody criticises them or pressures them to play better, or even expects them to play better.

I'm talking about

A Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Tomas Plekanec and Chris Higgins. Those four are our top forwards other then Kovalev and Koivu from the ones that are healthy now.

A Kost: 31 pts in 49 games, thats on pace for 51 pts, yet nobody expects more out of this seemingly highly skilled player who has great hands, vision, the best shot on the team and is built like a tank. For a guy who has all those attributes, why is he only on pace for 51 pts? He's 24 years old, he should do much better. Look at the superstars in this league, there all around that age and in some cases even younger. That is NO excuse.

Tomas Plekanec: 22 pts in 53 games, just a horrible season for him, on pace for 33 points. 33! The teams top center last year, "high flying, blazing speed, great shot, vision." Where is it? Does the on pace for 14 goals show any of them? He's 26 on top of that, UNACCEPTABLE.

Chris Higgins: 11 pts in 28 games, HORRIBLE just HORRIBLE. 26 years old, gets 20 million scoring chances a game yet cant burry one to save his life. I thought he had great puck protection skills, was a hard worker, nose for the net, all the attributes of a great scorer. Where is it? Scoring in only 5 games this year? Why does he get off so easily?

S Kostitsyn: 20 pts this year.. he has amazing vision, great hands right? Where are the results? Sure hes 21.. big deal, Alex Ovechkin is 21 and hes on pace to score 60 goals. Not comparing him to Ovy, but surely a 50 pt season shouldnt be out of the question for S Kost, yet he has only 20 so far this year?Why? Why cant he play as well as he can every night? Lack of effort? Probably, but then where is the blame?

I wont get to Price, because he's a goalie and just came back from an ankle injury, but those 4 really need to step it up, because theyve been just as bad as Kovalev, and people seem to be content with that.
I think you forgot to add Latendresse to your list. And as for Sergei, he recently joined the habs, calm down and be patient with him. Comparing him with Ovechkin... So because he's 20 and got talent, he should do 50 points in his first year....

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
I think you forgot to add Latendresse to your list. And as for Sergei, he recently joined the habs, calm down and be patient with him. Comparing him with Ovechkin... So because he's 20 and got talent, he should do 50 points in his first year....
I didnt add Lats cuz hes a third liner at best, and 20 goals a year would be good for him. He was on pace for something like that before his injury, so he is excused.

And I even wrote NOT comparing Sergei to Ovy, where do you get that I'm comparing him to ovy? The 2 kostitsyns by the way are my favorite players along with Markov, but I'm just being honest.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AgRiVaToRR*

Really?

Way to state the obvious...

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoodKiwi

Very disappointed with Andrei this season. Much more than with Plekanec because I've always felt Andrei's sealing was higher.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Twister mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Very disappointed with Andrei this season. Much more than with Plekanec because I've always felt Andrei's sealing was higher.
Same, the guy is getting paid big money also

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
HabsHockey

Ovechkin

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Johnny Hotrox

[QUOTE=mario66lemieux;17790138]We can blame 36 year old Kovalev all we want, and he has not been playing up to par, not at all this year. But where are our not so young guys? No hab forward has more points then Kovalev this year. That just shows how INCOSISTENT and for some HORRIBLE a season they are having, yet nobody criticises them or pressures them to play better, or even expects them to play better.

I'm talking about

I wont get to Price, because he's a goalie and just came back from an ankle injury, but those 4 really need to step it up, because theyve been just as bad as Kovalev, and people seem to be content with that.[/QUOTE]

I think deep down people do recognize this and try to drown it out by bashing Kovalev more. To keep calling 26 year old players "kids" is embarrassing. It's time to them to get it done.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
I didnt add Lats cuz hes a third liner at best, and 20 goals a year would be good for him. He was on pace for something like that before his injury, so he is excused.

And I even wrote NOT comparing Sergei to Ovy, where do you get that I'm comparing him to ovy? The 2 kostitsyns by the way are my favorite players along with Markov, but I'm just being honest.
They are my favorites as well. But I find it unfair to judge Sergei in his first year. We've been patient with Komisarek, Plekanec, Lats, etc, we should give him more time.

As for A.Kost, there's no excuse. He's not playing like he should be.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Rgolt

Quote:

I'm talking about

first off kovalev plays in every situation whether its powerplay, penalty kill, empty net and he always has the most time on ice out of every forward every game. i just dont the see the his passion its like he doesnt even care. when u get as much ice time as he does he should putting up more points, i am fed up for kovalev

as for andrei i think hes had a pretty solid year..when hes put with the right players. when he was playing with koivu he had like 10 points in 5 games and when he plays with kovalev he plays like ******. i dont understand why carbo tries to put the kovi-pleks-kost line together, face it, it doesnt work. put akost with koivu and put kovalev by himself considering he tries to do everything himself anyways

to sum everything up....i agree with u every1 does need to step it up including kovi, when ur a leader of this team, a veteran and when u have the best hands in the league u have to be putting points on the board and i just feel like kovi doesnt care

just my 2 cents im sure some ppl will disagree

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
JV

Kovalev is at the root of the problem. When he's not on his game (85% of the time this season) he's worse than ineffective. He actually becomes like a dragshute that slows the whole team down. He takes lazy penalties at critical times, turns the puck over through nonchalance, and doesn't do the little things (like hustle) when he's not putting the puck in the net. Meanwhile, he continues to suck up first line minutes and the lion's share of the pp time. In the end, if he's not actually leading the team he's like a ball and chain.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Rayne*

Quote:

I'm talking about

Ovechkin's not 21. That would've made him 16-17 when he was drafted in 2004.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
gusfring

The guy who needs to step up is Bob Gainey. Inaction (or as you guys would say "patience") will not work.

He has this team in a terrible position - a bunch of FA's and a fading team with little confidence.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
MayorFord

i think its a coaching problem..

carbs wants them to focus on the defence first.. as long as our D core is that terrible, the coach will ask them to back check to help the D. if we could get 1 or 2 defencemen then they'll be able to open up a bit more and points will stack up.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Erika

Quote:

I'm talking about

Christopher Higgins: One of the worst "supposely offensive" player I've seen in a while... The guy has hands of stone and wouldn't score in an ocean even if his life depended on it... Such a useless player, it's not even funny anymore...

Sergei Kostitsyn: could've had 3 points tonight if only his teammates could've burried their chances... ahhemmm Bouillon ahhemmmm

Carey Price: He looks like an AHL goalie at best in his last 15 games...

Enough said !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Next Best Thing*

The problem is that when someone is skating with the puck, everyone just ****ing stops and ****ing stares at him, instead of getting into open spaces, and they get covered easily by the other team, like child's play. And our defensemen are never able to shoot on the net, it's always the shinpads. It's like we have 6 Craig Rivet's playing defense.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Christopher Higgins: One of the worst "supposely offensive" player I've seen in a while... The guy has hands of stone and wouldn't score in an ocean even if his life depended on it... Such a useless player, it's not even funny anymore...

Sergei Kostitsyn: could've had 3 points tonight if only his teammates could've burried their chances... ahhemmm Bouillon ahhemmmm

Carey Price: He looks like an AHL goalie at best in his last 15 games...

Enough said !!

Yea I really loved it when he passed the puck BACKWARDS on that breakaway, to a leaf player.

Old
02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The problem is that when someone is skating with the puck, everyone just ****ing stops and ****ing stares at him, instead of getting into open spaces, and they get covered easily by the other team, like child's play. And our defensemen are never able to shoot on the net, it's always the shinpads. It's like we have 6 Craig Rivet's playing defense.
i wanna kill myself every time they shoot on the shinpads. same thing when on the PP instead of one timing it, they ****ing fan on it for 2 seconds giving time for the goalie to get in position, then they give me this weak-ass wrister from the point..

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Ross MacLochness

Its the whole team that needs to step up. Ever since the Lecavalier rumours took hold every aspect of this team has gone to ****, from the coach on down. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 3 weeks since all that happened and all we've done is squeak out 3 wins against 3 ****** teams. Nashville, LA, and Pittsburgh all at home. Everyone needs to pull their heads out of their ass. Yes the Kostitsyns and Plekanec but I'm much more angry with Carbonneau, Kovalev, Komisarek and Price.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
i wanna kill myself every time they shoot on the shinpads. same thing when on the PP instead of one timing it, they ****ing fan on it for 2 seconds giving time for the goalie to get in position, then they give me this weak-ass wrister from the point..
We had a really good Swiss player who knows how to shoot the puck properly... he had 62 points last season. The Genious Bob Gainey thought that he would be easilly replaced... What was his name again ?! Ahhh yess... Mark Streit... And we had another all-star player too, Sheldon Souray the year before... SO we lost 2 All-Stars defensemen and didn't replaced them... Well I have something for you mister Bob Gainey....

EPIC FAILED !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:07 AM
redmachine54

Sergei's too young to really rag on in comparison to the other guys on that list. D'Ago's older than him, and there weren't too many complaints about his 13 game goal-less drought (Brunet mentioned it briefly, but it wasn't really blown out of proportion like Sergei's play has). I think expectations were a little high on the younger brother.

The others, though, I completely agree with. Higgins looks like a Stormtrooper out there, Andrei really needs to learn how to deal with his consistency, and Plekanec... well, where the hell is Plekanec? He looks like Zednik post-McLaren, except without ever getting smashed across the face.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Its the whole team that needs to step up. Ever since the Lecavalier rumours took hold every aspect of this team has gone to ****, from the coach on down. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 3 weeks since all that happened and all we've done is squeak out 3 wins against 3 ****** teams. Nashville, LA, and Pittsburgh all at home. Everyone needs to pull their heads out of their ass. Yes the Kostitsyns and Plekanec but I'm much more angry with Carbonneau, Kovalev, Komisarek and Price.
I don't think this has anything to do with the Lecavalier rumors. LA and Boston decimated us by injuring half our roster almost, can you believe it? We got run over by a bulldozer. Pittsburgh might not make the playoffs this year, and we're next if this keeps up. You shouldn't hate Carbonneau, look at the players instead.

Komisarek, before he got injured, was playing brutally at the start of the year - only after he came back his game solidified, but he's still making mistakes.

Kovalev's age is showing this year, don't ever expect a season like 07-08 out of him again, good times are over, time to move on. He gave us way more than we expected over his tenure as a hab anyway.

Price is having his first rough stretch in the regular season. He has been winning us games before his injury, he's the reason we got wins at the beginning of the year despite our poor play.

Plekanec looks like he's waiting to be traded.

Also, I hope I never ever see Brisebois in the lineup again. Yes, he hasn't played tonight but I just wanted to throw this out there haha, don't ask.

Old
02-08-2009, 12:14 AM
totalrecall

Good coach with decent team can lose couple of games, even 3 or 4.
But at some point he has to adjust. Not sure if Carbo knows what to do now

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:05 AM
couris

We dont have enough good centers for all our skilled wingers. We only have 1 good center in Koivu.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote