HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti: Verizon Center ice "an embarrassment"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2009, 11:19 PM
  #1
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Tom Poti: Verizon Center ice "an embarrassment"

Capitals Insider:
Quote:
"The ice was disgusting," Tom Poti said. "It's an embarrassment. it's why so many guys are hurt with groins....The puck is like a bouncy ball out there jumping around, banging around and it's tough to handle the puck when it's like that. I can't even imagine a guy like Alex Ovechkin on a decent sheet of ice how many goals he'd get and a guy like Mike Green as well. You look at the puck and it's just bouncing and rolling and flipping all over the place. The good thing that we have is it's the same for both teams."
Nothing we didn't know already, but it's nice to see a player with the guts to say it aloud.

Opponents have to play on it too, but they don't have to play 41 games on it like the Caps, which is where the injury factor comes in.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
  #2
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Yeah, too bad there is nothing Ted can do about it until you know who goes away.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
  #3
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
But but but . . . our ice is middle of the pack! Ted TOLD us so!

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:32 PM
  #4
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
But but but . . . our ice is middle of the pack! Ted TOLD us so!
Maybe so, even avg NHL ice is really rather bad today. Maybe we can take up some new pollution practice to create mass global cooling in the near future.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
  #5
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Will Ted blog about this?

He seemed to jump on fans who criticized the ice in emails to him.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
  #6
tim
Registered User
 
tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
if he does, you know it will be the canned "well it's on par, stop worrying" response.

he's honest about everything else.. can't he be honest about the ice?

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
  #7
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,671
vCash: 900
Good for Poti for speaking up.

Nothing is as bad as MSG's though.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
  #8
Stimpy
Registered User
 
Stimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
The G-town game went into OT this afternoon at VC. That means they didn't even get the ice ready until late. You can bet money the ice is going to be really bad when they are converting venues late in the day. Nothing anyone could do other than not schedule any events on game days. I bet that doesn't change much even when Ted owns the building. It's money.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:29 AM
  #9
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Will Ted blog about this?

He seemed to jump on fans who criticized the ice in emails to him.
I was surprised that Tariq reported Poti's comments, hence this thread.

Last year, there was a game where almost every player on both teams complained about the ice in the post-game comments. I asked Tariq by email why he didn't report it...and he said Caps management got upset whenever he reported problems with the ice.

For whatever reason, ice quality just seems to be a sore spot for management / ownership.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:29 AM
  #10
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,953
vCash: 500
It is bad when there is no early game.

that's not an excuse. that certainly doesn't help the situation, but its not an excuse.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
  #11
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix View Post
if he does, you know it will be the canned "well it's on par, stop worrying" response.

he's honest about everything else.. can't he be honest about the ice?
I wouldn't really say Ted's honest about everything. I wouldn't say he's dishonest, but he has a way of spinning things that make him look best. I dunno, he frustrates me a lot at times with his spinning machine.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:47 AM
  #12
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
For whatever reason, ice quality just seems to be a sore spot for management / ownership.
Cause they can't really do anything to fix it with the other guy in charge at Verizon. They don't wanna complain and risk upsetting him either. Ted is next in line to buy it...

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:34 AM
  #13
LadyIce
Registered User
 
LadyIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
The G-town game went into OT this afternoon at VC. That means they didn't even get the ice ready until late. You can bet money the ice is going to be really bad when they are converting venues late in the day. Nothing anyone could do other than not schedule any events on game days. I bet that doesn't change much even when Ted owns the building. It's money.
Last week when the Caps had the early game against Detroit, they had a Wizards game that night. The Wiz game started at 8:00 p.m. instead of the usual 7:00 p.m. time.

If they know there's a potential for the Hoyas game to go into OT, and they schedule a Caps game that night, the Caps game should start at 7:30 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. so there's time to get the ice ready. And if they don't want to do that, then start the Hoyas game earlier.

From where I sit in 118, you could see piles and piles of snow shoveled up by the kids. After it was resurfaced and they turned out the lights, you could see the pools of water all over the place.
throughout the game.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:39 AM
  #14
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
Last week when the Caps had the early game against Detroit, they had a Wizards game that night. The Wiz game started at 8:00 p.m. instead of the usual 7:00 p.m. time.

If they know there's a potential for the Hoyas game to go into OT, and they schedule a Caps game that night, the Caps game should start at 7:30 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. so there's time to get the ice ready. And if they don't want to do that, then start the Hoyas game earlier.

From where I sit in 118, you could see piles and piles of snow shoveled up by the kids. After it was resurfaced and they turned out the lights, you could see the pools of water all over the place.
throughout the game.



Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow. Does anyone else have to routinely play on crap ice and hate it? Hell, even the ice I skate on isn't that bad and I'm in a place that hasn't seen snow in like 20 years.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:00 AM
  #15
Biscuit Bullet
Registered User
 
Biscuit Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I can't believe this is still an issue. This is 2009, and the Caps are a profitable franchise. Technology + $ should = good ice.

I understand that prior events can compromise the ice quality, but isn't there some way to keep the pipes under the ice colder at all times? Yes, it would incur more costs, but the managements' complacency is irritating. Yes, we're a great team, we should all just be content, right? Since we're 2nd in the East, apparently we don't have a right to advocate a better playing surface for the team. This is what kind of annoyed me about Ted's (God bless his soul - really) reaction

This is poignant coming from Poti - an ex-Ranger.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
  #16
sikosmurf
Registered User
 
sikosmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I can't believe this is still an issue. This is 2009, and the Caps are a profitable franchise. Technology + $ should = good ice.

I understand that prior events can compromise the ice quality, but isn't there some way to keep the pipes under the ice colder at all times? Yes, it would incur more costs, but the managements' complacency is irritating. Yes, we're a great team, we should all just be content, right? Since we're 2nd in the East, apparently we don't have a right to advocate a better playing surface for the team. This is what kind of annoyed me about Ted's (God bless his soul - really) reaction

This is poignant coming from Poti - an ex-Ranger.
Well, no matter how cold you keep the pipes below the surface, it still has to go up against the temperature imbalance of the above surface air. Perhaps if they ramp up the cooling, it will make the subsurface ice much colder than the surface ice and cause worse problems?

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
  #17
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Obviously the fact the Wizards and Hoyas both play here makes it tougher to keep the ice good. However there are plenty of other teams that share their arena.

That being said, if anything I think the ice quality should favor the Caps. Someone mentioned earlier that the Caps have to play here 41 tmes like that was a negative. I think if anything thats a positive, as at least they are used to it. Sure it may hurt our player's stats. However you would think a team that plays half their games here would be much more used to it than a team who plays 3 or 4 (or less).

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:29 AM
  #18
sikosmurf
Registered User
 
sikosmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Hard to be used to it when you spend half your time worrying about a season ending groin injury..

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #19
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,700
vCash: 1300
our ice has sucked for 30 years but it used to help the perennially defensive muckerish caps. Now that we are up there in leading the league in scoring, its a little more important to get sorted out. I still am elated being 5th in the league in goals. Albeit a paltry 3.25 GPG, but its a start. If we fix the ice it could boost us up to 3.5 per game. More importantly, it should ease the injuries.

Maybe poti should be careful how loud he complains. The trade deadline is looming, and he has been largely invisible much of the year. Your top dmen cant be hurt all year when you want to win a cup, regardless of the cause.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
  #20
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe poti should be careful how loud he complains. The trade deadline is looming, and he has been largely invisible much of the year. Your top dmen cant be hurt all year when you want to win a cup, regardless of the cause.
Invisible? What? He's been a stud in his own end most of the year. if we had a couple more Tom Poti's, we'd be studly on the blueline.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
  #21
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,700
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Invisible? What? He's been a stud in his own end most of the year. if we had a couple more Tom Poti's, we'd be studly on the blueline.
Ok that word is a bit strong. I was more thinking how many games has he missed? Or been ineffective for a few games coming back. When he is healthy, he is a total stud. But we have won this year without him, have we not? I am not checking the log. Now he is pissing off the owner i would imagine, and basically saying he is going to be injured more.

He has only played in 28 games. And in those 28, has our PK done well? That seems to be one of his greatest values to the team these days, but the PK is not that good.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
  #22
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ok that word is a bit strong. I was more thinking how many games has he missed? Or been ineffective for a few games coming back. When he is healthy, he is a total stud. But we have won this year without him, have we not? I am not checking the log. Now he is pissing off the owner i would imagine, and basically saying he is going to be injured more.

He has only played in 28 games. And in those 28, has our PK done well? That seems to be one of his greatest values to the team these days, but the PK is not that good.
He definitely has seemed a bit off since coming back, but I think it's safe to say GMGM has a longer memory than that and Ted can't really get righteous about anything since what he's saying is absolutely true (even if it's not Ted's fault).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  #23
Xaroc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
I have heard the chillers under the ice need to be replaced and that Ted wants dehumidifiers put in but Abe is blocking him on both of them. Once Ted owns the building things will be better although the ice will still likely be crap after an afternoon change over. I am not sure you can do much about that.

It is puzzling how defensive Ted is about the ice though. I guess since he can't really do anything yet and probably doesn't want to piss off Abe since he is selling him the Wizards and the building he tries to spin it.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
  #24
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,700
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He definitely has seemed a bit off since coming back, but I think it's safe to say GMGM has a longer memory than that and Ted can't really get righteous about anything since what he's saying is absolutely true (even if it's not Ted's fault).
I agree. But our defense seems widely regarded as needing another piece to be a true contender. Right or wrong, Poti is in the mix in what is our current core. A minute muncher PP and PK guy before he came here... I just havent seen him dominating this year. He has missed ~half the games, is not on the PP, the PK is struggling... obviously the groin is an issue in play here. Since the ice wont improve, I think the groin will continue to be an issue or if nothing else a risk to re-occur. If he is as valuable to our team as he was last year, he HAS to be healthy for us. Maybe the Kronwall move was in part due to Poti's health.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:18 PM
  #25
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Haven't we know this for a while?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.