HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti: Verizon Center ice "an embarrassment"

Old
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
StikSav

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Yeah, too bad there is nothing Ted can do about it until you know who goes away.
Absolutely, entirely, completely an incorrect myth. Leonsis and his group own 44% of WS&E, he can absolutely do something about it. But instead we get spin. For the love of all that is holy, the NHL has said with the new technology available they can construct a rink in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip. If that can happen, the ice at Verizon can be improved tenfold. But it costs $$, and unless ownership is willing to make the investment, it ain't gonna happen.

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Ovechkin

Ted could easily take Abe to court since he has to have some sort of business contract with the old man. It'd like renting property from a landlord and having the floorboards being unsafe. Ted could easily get the NHL people to back him up since I doubt anybody within the league has anything but respect for him. A judge could rule that either Abe has to fix the problem, or the cost associated with fixing the ice would come out of whatever Ted has to pay to fix it.

It would also be nice to see Abe get knocked down a few pegs before he exits stage left for good. Knowing deep down that he may have been the father of certain DC sports, but in the end, he was pretty much just a sperm donor.

Ovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

It is frustrating to see the number of people (no not everyone) that act like Leonsis isn't a spin machine and think that there is nothing that the Washington Capitals organization can do regarding the ice.

Glad to see players, opposing coaches, etc., talking about the ice conditions.

On a more general note outside of the investments needed and something that has been mentioned before, the ridiculous warm temp. at Verizon Center compared to other arenas during NHL games.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:07 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Oh, one thing I just noticed was Katie reported Poti's quote, not Tarik. So I'm sure she is going to get chewed out for it.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Oh, one thing I just noticed was Katie reported Poti's quote, not Tarik. So I'm sure she is going to get chewed out for it.
Corey reported it as well, though. He actually devoted a specific post to it, too.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

No worries, Tarik is going to make an article about the ice and all will be solved.

Wait, wasn't that a year ago now?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Foy

Clearly the team needs to suck again.

A half empty stadium is easier to keep cold, and therefore easier to keep up the ice quality.

As much as I hate to defend Ted here, yesterday's unseasonably warm temperatures, combined with all the bodies for the Georgetown game, and the doors openning and shutting a lot more than they normally would on a game day create circumstances that make it much more difficult to keep the building cold inside.

And as I type this, Don't Stop Believing just came on the radio.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

Not sure I understand your response. And fwiw, I don't recall the last time I actually felt cold at a home Washington Capitals game - sellout or not.

Regarding the building temp's and the ice, my comments in no way referred specifically to yesterday, although yesterday was no different than many others in terms of the warm building temp. And if the starting point regarding the ice, facility, etc., stinks, obviously on a day like yesterday, the situation will be exacerbated.

Specific to yesterday, given it was a Sat. night, the Caps don't play again until Wed., and the Wizards game isn't until 6pm today, not sure why the game last night wasn't a late start (7:30 or 8:00) (and I'd say that even if the G'town game didn't go into OT) - not that this would solve the problem, given it is a bigger issue, but it couldn't have hurt.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Foy

My comments were simply that unseasonably warm temperatures mean that you have to pump more AC into the building to get it cold. As anyone with a home knows, the more you open and close the doors, the more that cold air comes in and out. The more people you pack in any building the warmer it gets. So between a ton of people in the building for a basketball game, plus all those people going in and out, plus the sheer number of people going in and out to enter the game, leave the game, take a cigarette break, etc. means more cold air is getting out.

I'm just saying that there were a lot of conditions in place yesterday that could make the building warmer than usual, and that it's the next day when someone else (other than Clark) speaks up about the ice conditions.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:22 PM
sk84fun_dc

I'm not arguing against your points about the extra issues yesterday and if it created an opportunity (not saying it did) for Poti to comment on the ice conditions at the arena in a manner that was not specific to yesterday, all the better. However, this is an ongoing issue at VC.

FWIW, there is also a general issue related to the changeover and the multiuse arena schedule...last Sunday it was obvious things had been rushed related to the glass (and related, but the lights above one of the goals, etc)....Sat. afternoon hockey game, Sat night Wizards game, Sun 12:30 hockey game...ugh

Old
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
No worries, Tarik is going to make an article about the ice and all will be solved.

Wait, wasn't that a year ago now?
Ted contacted the post and prevented that.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

the temperature is part of it.

but really, that isn't everything.

As far as I know, there are a few things that could help but not all are realistic.
  • dehumidifier or some other similar machine that the arena doesn't have and Ted won't pay for/Abe won't allow etc (there has been talk of this but it is expensive)
  • elminate Mites and other on ice activities during games. I know, heresy, but that would allow at least another 5-6 minutes for the ice to settle
  • lower the temperature inside the building
  • employ some better ice guys, i'm not saying that we've got to fire people, but if you want the ice to be good, find the best at doing it and go from there. the ice has been awful for a while now and I still see the same guys in charge of it all
  • Bring in some more advisors. Not from the league, or from some other owners, but get the best ice guys you can find to fix the problem. if that means raiding vancouver or somewhere that has good ice crews, do so
  • find a way for the ice to set longer when you finally do make up the sheet. i know that is very difficult with the nba and all, but something has to be done

Old
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
nautikal

http://www.tedstake.com/?p=3478

Quote:
I was concerned about the conditions of the ice last night as it was unseasonably warm and there was a Georgetown basketball game that went into OT in the afternoon. The building staff has to really hustle to get the ice in game ready condition when this happens.

I asked our coaches about it after the game and they weren’t as displeased as I would have thought although I just read Tom Poti’s comments and am very concerned.

We are truly working these matters. We are very detailed about what we need to do as to temperature, timing, humidity and the like.

One of the things we will have to consider doing is not having any activities on the ice between intermissions. That extra 2 to 3 minutes may help us treat the ice. We are looking into this as a development now as well.

We are on it as is the building. We are looking at issues such as the building scheduling basketball games on our afternoons too although Georgetown has a schedule and is a tenant in the building and pays rent. And while the building tries to schedule their games before Wizards games, coordinating NHL, NBA and NCAA is an art not a science.

We are doing our best. We are making progress but we want to have great ice NOT acceptable ice and I hear Tom Poti loud and clear.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
the temperature is part of it.

but really, that isn't everything.

As far as I know, there are a few things that could help but not all are realistic.
...[/LIST]
I never meant to imply (and don't think I did) that the temp. is everything, just commenting on another aspect.

Old
02-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Foy

Give Ted credit for admitting it is something to be looked at, and addressing his' employee's concerns. Certainly what he should do, but not what I thought he'd do in this instance.

Old
02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I never meant to imply (and don't think I did) that the temp. is everything, just commenting on another aspect.
No worries, I knew that you didn't mean it was everything.

I'm not certain it is much more than lip service.

Old
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
No worries, I knew that you didn't mean it was everything.

I'm not certain it is much more than lip service.
glad to hear and agree

IMO, he didn't have much of a choice, but to write/say something given the comments and the attention the comments are getting. It also has be read in the context of his comments in the past.

Old
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Foy

At least he isn't burying his head in the sand.

Old
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Spin machine.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautikal View Post
Now lets see if anything happens. Appluad him for actually acknowledging the issue, but unless something happens, its just more hot air

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Spin machine.
I'm on board with that.

The first time these came about, he said, "well, we're gonna work on getting such and such". the more recent time was a "well, we're actually more in the middle of the pack, you can ask the NHL".

Now we're back to square one I guess.

I don't believe anything will happen until it happens. It isn't anything against Ted, he probably is trying to have people do the best they can do, but frankly, so far it has been not enough.

One would think with a 13 year 124 million dollar investment in a premium asset he would be moving heaven and earth to protect that asset.

Edit: the problem is, he confuses us being happy with the teams performance and packing the stands with a general acceptance of the ice situation. When there's no one speaking out about it, he is more than willing to accept the status quo (which is mediocre at extreme best) and maybe just turn the temperature down a bit (which I will admit has been colder so far this year at times. Yet, it has gone from warm to room temperature so far) to pacify any discontent. He also deep down realizes with the use the arena gets and the investment it would cost, he can't do much more than lip service.

Old
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Clearly the team needs to suck again.

A half empty stadium is easier to keep cold, and therefore easier to keep up the ice quality.

As much as I hate to defend Ted here, yesterday's unseasonably warm temperatures, combined with all the bodies for the Georgetown game, and the doors openning and shutting a lot more than they normally would on a game day create circumstances that make it much more difficult to keep the building cold inside.
And as I type this, Don't Stop Believing just came on the radio.
Very good point...I was thinking the same thing.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
A good way to start is to ice the mites until after the game and give the ice an extra 5 to cure. Many leave their seats as soon as intermission starts anyways. Those that stay can watch the telescreen and the zamboni. Put those cheerleaders we never see on board. Show some old WWF midget wrestling instead. I am no rocket scientist but I think an extra 5 minutes of treatment would help.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
sikosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
A good way to start is to ice the mites until after the game and give the ice an extra 5 to cure. Many leave their seats as soon as intermission starts anyways. Those that stay can watch the telescreen and the zamboni. Put those cheerleaders we never see on board. Show some old WWF midget wrestling instead. I am no rocket scientist but I think an extra 5 minutes of treatment would help.
I am no rocket scientist, but there is never an instance where they should NOT show midget wrestling.

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

amen on the midget wrestling.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote