HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Afinogenov

Old
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Afinogenov

What is the story with this player? Talk about a fall from grace. What's to blame? I noticed injuries became an issue a few years back. Even so, the drop in production per game has been staggering. Have the injuries just limited his effectiveness when healthy, or has he never really been healthy?

As a Coyotes fan, we experienced something similar with Ladislav Nagy. He was becoming a point per game player when he was hit by the injury bug. After that, he was never the same. His fear of becoming injured changed him. He went from a player who liked to rush the net, to a perimeter player, afraid of contact. He was ruined.

Perhaps I'm way off and it's just a motivation issue, or failure to commit to the system, or some other, behavioral problem.

Anyway, Buffalo fans seems pretty convinced that his time as a Sabre is running out. Do you expect he'll ever be the player he once was, for another team? Do you think a change of scenery might do him well? Or do you feel he's burnt out in this league, and will be back in Russia, sooner than later?

Any info. at all is appreciated. The more the better. I'm totally ignorant on the subject. Thanks in advance.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

He broke his wrist in the 06-07 season. That would be in the midst of his 2nd pt per game season. He cam back to early to try and contribute in the playoffs. The type of wrist injury was said to take 12-16 months for a hockey player to fully recover from. Max came back in 2-3 months. The next season he started of horribly, got a little bit going and then suffered a groin injury. Since that point he has never been the same player.

This season he started out poorly and has been out since Dec with another groin injury (re-occurring problem)

Their are many myths about Afinogenov. For one, he is NOT soft. He is aggressive, and pest like at times. He skates hard, and is an above average forechecker. He WAS an excellent playmaker before his wrist injury.

The two massive faults on Max are that he is prone to turnovers and tries to do too much. Also, for all of his offensive talent, his shot is very average at best.

If he can properly heal, he can have a comeback. He is a valuable PP contributor and can create opportunities for his linemates.... when he uses them

his welcome in Buffalo is worn out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a resurgence a la Samsonov somewhere

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Freezerburn

I don't know if Max has the hockey sense to be a top producer in this league, he makes many suspect decisions on the ice. His shot itself is also subpar.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see him do well somewhere else if he is put in the right situation. That situation will never be in Buffalo though.

Freezerburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Mental aspect of things. Max has a problem being reprimanded and he doesn't respond well to benchings. His tenure in Buffalo is overrrrrrr

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre
Quote:
The Penguins demoted rookie blueliner Alex Goligoski to the AHL on Saturday. The Penguins were carrying eight defensemen and the youngster didn't dress the last two games. So, GM Ray Shero told ESPN.com he wanted to make sure Goligoski got some playing time and he'll get plenty in the AHL.

They'll have another blueliner back when Sergei Gonchar gets healthy, giving the team plenty of depth at the position. Shero hopes to translate that depth into a forward by the March 4 trade deadline. The Buffalo Sabres have shopped Maxim Afinogenov all season long (he's a UFA on July 1), but we're told the Penguins have no interest at this point.
Scratch PIT off of the list, it seems

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Sunny Leone*

I think the perfect team for max to go to is Washington, with a good amount of Russians that can help him regain his game and confidence. Federov and ov could be his mentors.

Last edited by Sunny Leone*: 02-09-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Sunny Leone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
I expect the Sabres to give Max another shot as soon as he's healthy. I'm sure they'll be looking for an offensive spark. If he can't bring anything useful via trade that's the way to go. He can use those final games, and hopefully the playoffs, to audition for a contract offer from another team.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Stone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres77 View Post
I think the perfect team for max to go to is Washington, with a good amount of Russians that can help him regain his game and confidence. Federov and ov could be his mentors.
Atlanta is another team that would work for him I think.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He broke his wrist in the 06-07 season. That would be in the midst of his 2nd pt per game season. He cam back to early to try and contribute in the playoffs. The type of wrist injury was said to take 12-16 months for a hockey player to fully recover from. Max came back in 2-3 months. The next season he started of horribly, got a little bit going and then suffered a groin injury. Since that point he has never been the same player.

This season he started out poorly and has been out since Dec with another groin injury (re-occurring problem)

Their are many myths about Afinogenov. For one, he is NOT soft. He is aggressive, and pest like at times. He skates hard, and is an above average forechecker. He WAS an excellent playmaker before his wrist injury.

The two massive faults on Max are that he is prone to turnovers and tries to do too much. Also, for all of his offensive talent, his shot is very average at best.

If he can properly heal, he can have a comeback. He is a valuable PP contributor and can create opportunities for his linemates.... when he uses them

his welcome in Buffalo is worn out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a resurgence a la Samsonov somewhere

Very good breakdown of Max

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Another thing about Max is that he's never been a finisher, even though everyone tries to put him into a category with all the russian snipers. He's never been anywhere close to a sniper - he's actually a very good playmaker but he tries to do too much and doesn't ever seem to be on the same page with his teammates. Everyone tries to typecast him as a Pavel Bure of sorts, but he just isn't...he's a streaky, fast skating pest type player who can't finish to save his life and doesn't seem to have his head in the game most times. We've given him almost 10 years to try and cash in on the whole risk/reward thing and it just isn't happening.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

its a lot more negative hype then reality. max's game is consistent and all he has needed was a good line. the sabres struggled early this season and most of last yearbecause of changes.max was discriminated against with lofty expectations, he cannot do it all on his own. that being said, max will always be an exciting player to watch.i want him to do more some where else, he is a unique player and the term share the love comes to mind.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
vaneson

Send a message via AIM to vaneson
Watching Afinogenov come up through Rochester as a pimply faced teenager I must say I had high hopes for him. He was fast, aggressive, and extremely wild. I thought that the Sabres (and Randy Cunneyworth) would take the raw talent that he had and try to harness it in a way that was less selfish and promote his speed in the transition game. Unfortunately he never settled down and still plays the way he did 10 yrs ago. He is too wild with the puck, tries to do too much, and by the time he actually does pass, his teammates have no idea what to expect.

I wish Afino the best but I think it's time to move on too.

vaneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneson View Post
Watching Afinogenov come up through Rochester as a pimply faced teenager I must say I had high hopes for him. He was fast, aggressive, and extremely wild. I thought that the Sabres (and Randy Cunneyworth) would take the raw talent that he had and try to harness it in a way that was less selfish and promote his speed in the transition game. Unfortunately he never settled down and still plays the way he did 10 yrs ago. He is too wild with the puck, tries to do too much, and by the time he actually does pass, his teammates have no idea what to expect.

I wish Afino the best but I think it's time to move on too.

sorry man but there is no way this is true. max was an assist machine a few years ago. he showed clear progress towards playing a system and started to explify a strong ability to control the play along the boards. his passing became a weapon for his stick handling pazaz. I am going to hype him up and suggest that he even mentored roy and vanek a bit. prove me wrong?

fans saw negative in connolly... max is just as capable of turning it arround.

though i do agree that its time to move on. the euro flash gave our community a nice distinction.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
wardigital*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
sorry man but there is no way this is true. max was an assist machine a few years ago. he showed clear progress towards playing a system and started to explify a strong ability to control the play along the boards. his passing became a weapon for his stick handling pazaz. I am going to hype him up and suggest that he even mentored roy and vanek a bit. prove me wrong?

though i do agree that its time to move on. the euro flash gave our community a nice distinction.
Everyone was an assist machine a few years ago. The dam was open. Anytime Max has not played on an elite team, vaneson's analysis of him is correct.

wardigital* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
slugfest*

Max would be the most likely candidate to repeat what Parik Stefan did against the Oilers a couple years ago when he skated in on an empty net and didn't score. The puck just refuses to find the back of the net for Max.

And like someone else said, he gets too fancy and turns the puck over a lot and a lot of the time it leads to a good scoring chance for the other team.

slugfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:25 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
I think I speak for most of us here when I say that the only real negative we've seen in Connolly is his inability to stay healthy for any stretch of time. When he's healthy there's very few holes in his game and he's the type of guy who can really change the whole game....it's just 60 or so games in 3 years isn't going to cut it on the type of contract and with the type of talent he has.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote