HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sedin Brothers

Old
02-08-2009, 12:27 AM
keemo905

vCash: 500
Sedin Brothers

People will think: "Not another get -insert star player name her- type of thread". While I was reading fellow hfers on the board and kept reading how Kovalev sucks, how we are too soft, that Price is not as good as we think and lets get -insert star player here-... Well, I still have faith in the boys. I believe that after the trade deadline, when they realise that are stuck with each other and that no ouside help will come, the leaders of the team are going to stand up and unite.

But if things don't go the way we hoped this year, we could build a team way different during the summer. With all the money we could be shaving, we could shape up our team with some interesting names. Offer sheet could be given. UFA could be signed. What are our real needs? Grit? Team toughness? D?

I can't imagine the Canucks letting them walk away, but if they were available during the summer, how much would the Sedin brothers cost us?? Even if the almighty leaf fans are convinced the brothers are T.O bound, they are players I would gladly overpay to come finish up our first line. I have not made the math, but with all the players with could opt to not resign, how much money could we have available?

The Sedins are getting in their prime and will be great players with time. They are very good now, but could become great soon. I would be willing to spend pretty much to the cap to have them here next summer... Our first line center problem would be solved, and Koivu (or not?) down to second center and Plekanek as our third line center with Lapierre down to 4th (I love the dude now).

Did someone do the map? Could it be possible to overspend on them? Would you?

keemo905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:32 AM
MayorFord

awww hell naw
say it aint so.

we need a new identity, not keep adding the same types of players and expecting different results.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905 View Post
People will think: "Not another get -insert star player name her- type of thread". While I was reading fellow hfers on the board and kept reading how Kovalev sucks, how we are too soft, that Price is not as good as we think and lets get -insert star player here-... Well, I still have faith in the boys. I believe that after the trade deadline, when they realise that are stuck with each other and that no ouside help will come, the leaders of the team are going to stand up and unite.

But if things don't go the way we hoped this year, we could build a team way different during the summer. With all the money we could be shaving, we could shape up our team with some interesting names. Offer sheet could be given. UFA could be signed. What are our real needs? Grit? Team toughness? D?

I can't imagine the Canucks letting them walk away, but if they were available during the summer, how much would the Sedin brothers cost us?? Even if the almighty leaf fans are convinced the brothers are T.O bound, they are players I would gladly overpay to come finish up our first line. I have not made the math, but with all the players with could opt to not resign, how much money could we have available?

The Sedins are getting in their prime and will be great players with time. They are very good now, but could become great soon. I would be willing to spend pretty much to the cap to have them here next summer... Our first line center problem would be solved, and Koivu (or not?) down to second center and Plekanek as our third line center with Lapierre down to 4th (I love the dude now).

The Sedins is not the answer. We have already so many soft forwards. The Sutters/Staals is what we needed.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Can we trade the Kostitsyn brothers for them?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:36 AM
RE-HABS

We need skilled players with toughness like Vinnie, Thornton, Iginla...not more softies.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
awww hell naw
say it aint so.

we need a new identity, not keep adding the same types of players and expecting different results.
lol seriously

if there is one thing everyone can agree on here its that we need more grit and size on our team. we have too many similar players.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
lol seriously

if there is one thing everyone can agree on here its that we need more grit and size on our team. we have too many similar players.
It's been the same story for years, yet never gets addressed.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
le_sean

Yes let's add more poofters to this team, that will solve everything.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:51 AM
keemo905

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's been the same story for years, yet never gets addressed.
I know I am annoying with the Twins, but Henrik is listed as 6'2" 197lbs and Daniel 6'1" 200lbs. And if you have seen them play, you will know they are not soft. Not beast but no Cinderalla either.

keemo905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Magic33

This is exactly the type of player we need to stay away from for years to come. Far, far away.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:57 AM
CPrice

I think they would make a big difference but the rest of the lineup would have to be bolstered with gritty players. They have each almost been a PPG player the last couple of years. I wouldn't call them that soft either, they are good on the cycle and down low in the corners.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:57 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
This is exactly the type of player we need to stay away from for years to come. Far, far away.
A pair of Lapiere/MaxPac will serve us better than a Sedins right now.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Disagree. We need better players, period. The problem with counting on Kovalev to be our best forward is not that he is not tough enough, it's that he is not good enough. The problem with carrying three forwards under 23 years old is not that they don't play with grit, it's that they are not (yet) good enough to beat established NHL'ers. The problem with our bottom four defencemen is not a lack of size, it is a lack of quality - we need one more good one, whether that player gets the job done with size, grit, speed, smarts, doesn't matter as long as he gets it done.

These days it's looking like some the easiest, best quality acquisitions of the summer will be Euro forwards (Gaborik, Havlat, Sedins). If so, get it done Bob.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Disagree. We need better players, period. The problem with counting on Kovalev to be our best forward is not that he is not tough enough, it's that he is not good enough. The problem with carrying three forwards under 23 years old is not that they don't play with grit, it's that they are not (yet) good enough to beat established NHL'ers. The problem with our bottom four defencemen is not a lack of size, it is a lack of quality - we need one more good one, whether that player gets the job done with size, grit, speed, smarts, doesn't matter as long as he gets it done.

These days it's looking like some the easiest, best quality acquisitions of the summer will be Euro forwards (Gaborik, Havlat, Sedins). If so, get it done Bob.
Execution

You give us a Bouwmeester, or Rafalski and our transition goes up 3 fold. We can split puck movement to all lines without having a huge risk (Brisebois)

We really shouldn't have let him go (streit)... had we kept him and picked up a Jay-Bo... watch out

Last edited by Ape Clutch: 02-08-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905 View Post

We are too soft, and adding the biggest cream puffs in the NHL would only solidify that fact. No thanks.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:07 AM
38 cupless years*

the sedin sisters are a major reason why the canucks do jack in the playoffs and why their team has been so bad this year. they get a ton of points in meaningless games, but when the going gets tough they get like thornton and get the **** out of town.

we need guys like shanahan, morrow, arnott...not more cream puffs.

i love max pac though, he's our future. more players like max, PLEASE!

38 cupless years* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:27 AM
capebretoncanadien

Never gonna happen. I don't know why anybody wouldn't want them. Have you naysayers even seen them play?? They are gold.......either one of them would be our best forward......why not two??

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
habs86

vCash: 1238
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We need skilled players with toughness like Vinnie, Thornton, Iginla...not more softies.

We will never get those type of players

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

It would cost probably 12 mil to sign both. I'd rather put 6.5 at JBO and 5.5 at sandpaper or great center

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
BigHab*

Please Bob, say it ain't so....no more Euros on the team. Give us some Canadian content with heart and passion!!!

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
JAVO16

The Sedins are not as soft as people would like to think( well, maybe they are, but they would still be our two best players if they where here) and I believe they would probably mesh well with a talented big body like Patches who would make space for the two of 'hem. The problem is, their asking price is probably to high for us.

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
Please Bob, say it ain't so....no more Euros on the team. Give us some Canadian content with heart and passion!!!
Don't say that. You gonna be flamed here, believe me. Some people are jumping on that as if it was racism or xenophobia, while it is NOT.

Gimme guys like Ovechkin, Holmstrom, Lidstrom or Kiprusoff any time of the week, and i will be super glad. Koivu is in that mold.

We have too many prima ballerinas and prima donnas on this team. It is not a team. Period !

Drafting A.Kost was one of the worst draft pick in recent Habs' history. Re-signing Kovalev was one of the worst moves. Hiring rookie coaches like Carbo and Muller was the icing on the cake.

Right now, Gainey MUST find solutions to salvage the ship. Maybe he's trying, but it is certainly not showing. Fist one would be to take Kovalev AWAY from this team. Trade him for a pick, wathever.

At some points all these injuries to key players are biting us in the ass.
Lang was playing great hockey
Latendresse was finding his groove with Lapierre
Tanguay could had been key to our offence.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 02-08-2009 at 12:38 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Yeah I agree that with guys like Thornton we'll go deep in the playoff, trade the team for thornton and we win the cup.

Honestly is there any team that doesnt need a guy like them?

Zetterberg and especially Datsyuk were consisdered as choker and yet they won the cup last year. ****ing sick of non sense. This is the exact same team that people said we'd win the cup in 16 games after a crazy start, but now we are soft, we suck, we cant do anything good, both of our goalies sucks, no heart not a team.

Whatevter you were ****ing dumb to to think this team was going to win the cup cause is this is the very same team we had early this season or you guys just act like real habs fan and push the panic button as soon as we dont win 8 games out of 10(except if we were on a 8 games winning streak and loss the last 2)

Is the team hot? No. Could we improve the team? Yes. Do we need to throw everybidy under the bus and cry to have players that we couldnt ever possibly have? I dont think so.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

The guys I'd go after in this upcoming UFA are Franzen, Bouwmeester/Skrastin/Kuba, I'd also try to get Neil here. Antropov would be interesting for his major size too.

We don't need some other average sized/small puck control players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
emb24*

we already have a pair of sisters on the team.
will silent Bob want two pairs of sisters?

probably not

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote