HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Not Avery, Chris Neil?

Old
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
If Not Avery, Chris Neil?

If we cannot/will not grab Avery from the stars, what do you guys feel about the possibility of trading for Chris Neil from the Ottawa Senators?

The Sens are clearly out of the playoff picture and would be looking to rebuild. If we put together a package to bring the RWer, Neil could be a physical veteran presence. He's 6'1", 209lbs, plays an intense, game; he could bring to the ice what the Rangers have been missing: intensity. He will be an unrestricted free agent after this season though.

I'm sure he's not liked by many Rangers fans, but that never stopped us from acquiring the likes of Matthew Barnaby; Sean Avery.

What does everyone think? What do you think it will take to acquire him?

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen...tml?id=1260177

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's been widely reported that Ottawa wants a pick in return, I don't care if Neil can't score, get him and Avery, this team has no balls

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:33 PM
HenrikO'doyle

I also echo the get both sentiment. Whens the last time we had 2 very physical players who could score?

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
nyrangers23

we need both and on the same line. talk about putting some fear into opposing teams

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:39 PM
SML

We're way too easy to play against. I've always liked Neil, but I bet contending teams are going to pay up pretty nice for him.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
nyrangers23

so trade dawes for neil, think thats enough??

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'd be really happy if we got Neil. Always liked him (when we weren't playing against him).

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
We need goalscoring and size. Remember when we were scoring goals early in the season? There was no lack of grit on the team at the time either. We don't need a bunch of instigators. That is unless you guys want to have some players to start brawls when we're getting blown out like last night.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Voros/Dawes and a 3rd.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Garv23

See now this is something I'd really like. He's not going to solve our scoring problems, but the guy is tough as nails without the circus sideshow baggage of Avery.

I'd love if this could be done.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
We need goalscoring and size. Remember when we were scoring goals early in the season? There was no lack of grit on the team at the time either. We don't need a bunch of instigators. That is unless you guys want to have some players to start brawls when we're getting blown out like last night.
So if we have proven the ability to score maybe we do not need to acquire another 'scorer'. We have plenty of offense on paper. What we don't have is and edge which was what everyone was complaining about when we were winning before and now when we are losing. How about we address the issues that are most pertinent?

Acquiring another scorer on this team would be akin to all those darn moves we made when we weren't making the playoffs; "if the players who need to score aren't scoring, just acquire more of those types." I'd much rather get people like Naslund Gomez and Dubinsky scoring consistently again than add another player that will turn into another enigma under Renney's system.

Old
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
NHLsnipers

No!

Avery may talk a bunch of crap but he never went and tried to hurt players like Neil does.

Drury wouldnt approve of this either.

Neil is a smarter version of Hollweg. Hollweg hit people because he is just dumb. Neil does it on purpose.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
eco's bones

Neil's best season he got a lot of pwp time. He would go to the front of the net and he's not easy to move and he's pretty nasty besides. So I'd be very okay with the idea of having an almost immovable object in front of the other teams goaltender on the pwp. Avery as well is excellent at driving the net--maybe not quite as good at staying there but he has better hands.

This is a thing that some people refuse to believe--they see 40 shots on goal on Adam Graves night and think well they worked hard. But they are taking too many of their shots from too far out with nobody causing any havoc in front. The Rangers are not driving the net with any real purpose.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:41 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Neil's best season he got a lot of pwp time. He would go to the front of the net and he's not easy to move and he's pretty nasty besides. So I'd be very okay with the idea of having an almost immovable object in front of the other teams goaltender on the pwp. Avery as well is excellent at driving the net--maybe not quite as good at staying there but he has better hands.

This is a thing that some people refuse to believe--they see 40 shots on goal on Adam Graves night and think well they worked hard. But they are taking too many of their shots from too far out with nobody causing any havoc in front. The Rangers are not driving the net with any real purpose.
Funny I felt Voros was excellent at doing this the first couple of weeks of the season. What happened? Did he just wear down?

Old
02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2009 View Post
No!

Avery may talk a bunch of crap but he never went and tried to hurt players like Neil does.

Neil is a smarter version of Hollweg. Hollweg hit people because he is just dumb. Neil does it on purpose.
So I guess you didnt approve of Messier as a player considering all the things he did? This is hockey and it is a tough sport, we are not a tough team. Our 94 team that won it all was tough, I love Chris Neil as a player and would love to have him on this team.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
polako

Quote:
No!

This is in jest, right?

I mean, is Drury hiding an 'assistant gm' clause somewhere between those extra zeros in his contract?

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
This is in jest, right?

I mean, is Drury hiding an 'assistant gm' clause somewhere between those extra zeros in his contract?
Well considering GM's take into account what the locker room will be like Sather would be an idiot to not check to see the overall feeling of the team.

I like Neil, honestly, and if the Rangers could get Neil and another hard-nosed player I would be all for it. Voros is a joke and shouldnt be playing on this team and this team is WAY too easy to play against. We all saw what Ott did last night. The guy goes all out every shift. The Rangers had nothing to counter-act that in any way. Players like Prucha, Dawes, Voros, Kalinin should all be shipped out as they are all redundant and players with size need to be brought in. If Renney wants to continue with this system then this team needs to get some tougher players who can punish the other team instead of always gettin punished. Also, Neil is a very good fighter, something this team also sorely needs.

Reitz also needs to stay in the lineup.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
No!

HAHAHA that's hilarious. Who cares what he does and doesn't approve, what a joke of a leader he is.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Funny I felt Voros was excellent at doing this the first couple of weeks of the season. What happened? Did he just wear down?
No, he just sucks

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
See now this is something I'd really like. He's not going to solve our scoring problems, but the guy is tough as nails without the circus sideshow baggage of Avery.

I'd love if this could be done.
Agreed - I like this idea much more than Avery.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Leetch66

At least with Neil we would have a player willing to head toward the net rather than away from it as most of our girls do now . It takes a long stick to score from the corner or a heck of a shot . I do still see one problem though...toughness/grittiness usually starts at the top and spreads throughout the whole team . We have to change the attitude of a lot of our girls .

Having been a fan for 30+ years...this team is by far one of the softest and gentle I've ever watched . Our blue line core could actually play without shoulder pads on most evenings . When was the last time anybody can remember an opposing forward being scared of going into a corner with a Ranger blue liner ? Heck if they changed the rules and allowed the goalies back into the corner it would instill more fear than a Ranger blueliner .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
mattyd99

I think getting both would be the best option for this team. It would get Voros out of the lineup....maybe.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I would prefer Tuomo Ruutu.

He hits every damn thing in sight.

And he can score.

Naslund - Gomez - Ruutu
Avery - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Korpikoski - Drury - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Orr

If they can move Voros, Prucha, Dawes, and Kalinin... it could be a possibility cap-wise.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
So if we have proven the ability to score maybe we do not need to acquire another 'scorer'. We have plenty of offense on paper. What we don't have is and edge which was what everyone was complaining about when we were winning before and now when we are losing. How about we address the issues that are most pertinent?

Acquiring another scorer on this team would be akin to all those darn moves we made when we weren't making the playoffs; "if the players who need to score aren't scoring, just acquire more of those types." I'd much rather get people like Naslund Gomez and Dubinsky scoring consistently again than add another player that will turn into another enigma under Renney's system.
I disagree, we don't have scoring on paper. Naslund's past his prime, he's still good but he's not good for more than 30ish goals. Gomez and Drury were never true goalscorers just look at the stats, and the rest of the guys are all young guys that get hot and cold or role players that belong on 3rd and 4th lines. Where is this scoring on paper that you're talking about???

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Excellent point. Not working hard also leads to the lack of drawing penalties. That many shots on goal, with no one driving to the net is almost useless.

I could argue that the team needs both Avery and Neil. However, obtaining the latter will not be easy. First of all, who would the Rangers give up? Second of all, is there any room under the cap? Rozsival's and Redden's contracts are choking the team right now.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote