HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Neil Out Indefinitely

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2009, 01:35 PM
  #1
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 35,956
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Neil Out Indefinitely

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...8/8312851.html
Quote:
Senators muscle man Chris Neil won't be making the upcoming five-games-in-seven-days road trip starting Wednesday in Buffalo, the club just announced.

The right winger lacerated his right calf when he hit Buffalo Sabres defenceman Teppo Numminen at the end of the second period.

Neil, the Senators' enforcer, will be out indefinitely.
For a UFA that is likely to be dealt, not good news for the Sens as they can't get anything for him. That's pretty nasty though, I remember it happened to Joe Sakic years ago and kept him out for a long time.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
  #2
DollarsAndSens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Well, looks like that should cool the Neil trade rumours.

DollarsAndSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
  #3
PhysicalTorque
Registered User
 
PhysicalTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Damn, oh well, hope he gets better, his trade value has just declined with this recurring injury.

Who is going to give us big hits?

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:46 PM
  #4
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
The Fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,504
vCash: 500
So much for getting a 2nd at the deadline.

Maybe we keep him now, hope he recovers well.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
  #5
Ours Whole
Registered User
 
Ours Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Hopefully Neiler is a fast healer. If I can't watch the Sens this postseason, I guess I would settle for seeing a few of our current players sprinkled throughout the postseason landscape if you will. So get well soon so that we can trade you, Neil. Go get that cup!

Ours Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
  #6
Sensfanman
Registered User
 
Sensfanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 500
Ah...that sucks. I love Neil, he's a real warrior. This could be good though as now he might be resigned at a lower price. His value will probably drop with this and the Sens could take advantage.

Hope he has a quick recovery though, he's a player who's team value is greater than his individual skill value.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
  #7
Anasazi
 
Anasazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
sucks for his trade value now, here's to a speedy recovery though

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
  #8
Operation Hot Mother
Registered User
 
Operation Hot Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep Neil than get a later pick for him. I remember the good old days when everybody wanted a Chris Neil-type player, and I think as the sens' offense picks up Neil will become effective again.

Operation Hot Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
  #9
Kanataboy68
 
Kanataboy68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Damn, oh well, hope he gets better, his trade value has just declined with this recurring injury.

Who is going to give us big hits?
Not a recurring injury. A lacerated calf, to me is a cut or a tear in the calf, not his knee.

Maybe this is an opportunity to get him signed at a reasonable rate...

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
  #10
SNAPshot
Registered User
 
SNAPshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OTTAWA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
I'm still baffled as to why most of you want him gone, for a 2nd round pick? Do you guys forget that by no means are 2nd rounders sure bets? Especially since we have 2 firsts...(Also, Kaigorodov and Nikulin come to mind...).

OF COURSE, we don't want to lose him for nothing, but he has been great for us this year, not necessarily lighting it up, but being an intimidating physical force that doesn't back down and has been trying to spark his teammates in the ways that he can.

This is a great situation, because he hasn't been producing, his worth is much lower than his pace a few seasons ago, making him affordable for us, especially since he's established in the community here. We can most likely sign him for under 1,5M a season and this is worth it.

If we DON'T sign him, we're going to have to bring someone else in and who is available that does the same job for a similar price?

Most of you guys just seem to want a change, but logically, that change for me is not in the enforcer position, especially not for a draft pick .

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:23 PM
  #11
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,174
vCash: 500
Isn't this somewhat good news in a way? He has such a history with knee injuries, we should be thankful this had nothing to do with his knee.

Really sucks, hope he recovers well, but if this means we don't trade him, good in a way.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
  #12
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,079
vCash: 500
Bass + 2nd > Neil

which is why ppl want to trade him, though it isnt looking good now


add to that he his salary is 1+mill which is a bit high for what he brings

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
  #13
Classless Goon
Witty User Title
 
Classless Goon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hull,QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Bass + 2nd > Neil
Fail.

The correct answer is

Bass + Neil > 2nd

You people are hilarious. Why are you so obsessed with that pick, which would potentially be nothing more than a late one? Why is getting rid of one of the longest serving Senators, as well as our only tough guy left, who also happens to be a fairly rare type of player worth some damn meaningless pick? We're not even rebuilding for Christ's sake.

If saving a couple of K's is that important, then why not get rid of anybody else who are overpaid or not filling expectations. There are a lot of players I would trade before Neil that would return better assets and clear up more cap space( Smith, Kelly, Vermette, etc,)

You are worried that Neil might get 1.5? Is that it? Jesus H. Christ.
Get rid of Schubert and McAmmond. Voila. Minus 1.6 right there. Happy?

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
  #14
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post
I'm still baffled as to why most of you want him gone, for a 2nd round pick? Do you guys forget that by no means are 2nd rounders sure bets? Especially since we have 2 firsts...(Also, Kaigorodov and Nikulin come to mind...).
The argument that a draft pick isn't a sure thing so therefore it isn't valuable is one of the stupidest things I regularly see on this site. Everyone knows that its not guaranteed. What you have to recognize is that good organizations build through the draft. How do they do this? It's not by discounting the value of picks because they aren't guaranteed.

Also, Nikulin was a 4th round pick.

Quote:
OF COURSE, we don't want to lose him for nothing, but he has been great for us this year, not necessarily lighting it up, but being an intimidating physical force that doesn't back down and has been trying to spark his teammates in the ways that he can.

This is a great situation, because he hasn't been producing, his worth is much lower than his pace a few seasons ago, making him affordable for us, especially since he's established in the community here. We can most likely sign him for under 1,5M a season and this is worth it.

If we DON'T sign him, we're going to have to bring someone else in and who is available that does the same job for a similar price?
We can bring someone in who does what he does at a much lower cost. Specifically Cody Bass. It is bad use of cap space to pay Neil over a million when we can have someone who does just as much for near the league minimum.

Quote:
Most of you guys just seem to want a change, but logically, that change for me is not in the enforcer position, especially not for a draft pick .
We need change and clearing some of the deadweight we have in our bloated bottom 6 is part of that. Neil is the most logical guy to go given his UFA status. If we can get a 2nd round pick for Neil that would be great. It's simple asset management.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
  #15
Kamina
Amok
 
Kamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,052
vCash: 500
Now Neil will re-sign for 1 million a year. Yayyy.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:00 PM
  #16
The Reg Season SC
Drafting my Overalls
 
The Reg Season SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,835
vCash: 500
A draft pick is better than watching Neil walk into UFA.

The Reg Season SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
  #17
Classless Goon
Witty User Title
 
Classless Goon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hull,QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
The argument that a draft pick isn't a sure thing so therefore it isn't valuable is one of the stupidest things I regularly see on this site. Everyone knows that its not guaranteed. What you have to recognize is that good organizations build through the draft. How do they do this? It's not by discounting the value of picks because they aren't guaranteed.

Also, Nikulin was a 4th round pick.



We can bring someone in who does what he does at a much lower cost. Specifically Cody Bass. It is bad use of cap space to pay Neil over a million when we can have someone who does just as much for near the league minimum.



We need change and clearing some of the deadweight we have in our bloated bottom 6 is part of that. Neil is the most logical guy to go given his UFA status. If we can get a 2nd round pick for Neil that would be great. It's simple asset management.
Cody Bass is not an enforcer. Maybe we should make a sticky thread about this. Without Neil we have no one to ride shotgun and our team becomes the softest in the division, with Laraque in MTL, Burke taking over in Toronto, the tough Bruins and the Sabres with Peters, Mair, and co., do you ****ing people even realize that? Probably not LOLZ, letz get rid of ne1l, yayz l@te r0und p1ck ftw omfgwtfbbq!!!11one

Second, if you want to get rid of the dead weight in the bottom six, you get rid of McAmmond, Schubert. These are completely replaceable players, unlike Neil and instead of shedding the potential 1 - 1.5 that Neil would get, you save 1.6 million + and you free up not one but TWO roster spots!! Tadda!

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
  #18
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
Fail.

The correct answer is

Bass + Neil > 2nd

You people are hilarious. Why are you so obsessed with that pick, which would potentially be nothing more than a late one? Why is getting rid of one of the longest serving Senators, as well as our only tough guy left, who also happens to be a fairly rare type of player worth some damn meaningless pick? We're not even rebuilding for Christ's sake.

If saving a couple of K's is that important, then why not get rid of anybody else who are overpaid or not filling expectations. There are a lot of players I would trade before Neil that would return better assets and clear up more cap space( Smith, Kelly, Vermette, etc,)

You are worried that Neil might get 1.5? Is that it? Jesus H. Christ.
Get rid of Schubert and McAmmond. Voila. Minus 1.6 right there. Happy?
LMAO are you JFJ? a 2nd rounder is valuable you can get good players in a deep draft in the second round.

and what does Neil bring that Bass can do? We have Ruutu and Fisher as well who can hold their own add to that Smith.

Neil is a waste of 1mill and is rarely effective anymore.

so you FAIL

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
  #19
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
A draft pick is better than watching Neil walk into UFA.
Neil walking into UFA is the least likely scenario. He'll likely either be traded, or re-signed.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
  #20
upperhouse
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Neil apologists will always point to his apparently long lost of intangibles....

In my view in a cap era you need players who can over-earn their paycheque. Neil is a player who barely earns his 1.1M/season. He'll never earn the ~2M he'll get this off-season.

Bender...the proposition that we would save 1.6M by dumping Schubert + McAmmond is a fallacy. Those players are basically league minimum players. Their replacements would cost every bit as much as they do. That is not to say that they shouldn't be replaced, it's just to say that replacing them does not create cap-savings.

upperhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
  #21
upperhouse
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Neil may not get traded if he is not healthy. A calf-laceration could potentially keep him out of action for a pretty lengthy period of time.

upperhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
  #22
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 13,996
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
LMAO are you JFJ? a 2nd rounder is valuable you can get good players in a deep draft in the second round.

and what does Neil bring that Bass can do? We have Ruutu and Fisher as well who can hold their own add to that Smith.

Neil is a waste of 1mill and is rarely effective anymore.

so you FAIL

Neil is still highly effective.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
  #23
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,079
vCash: 500
2004 - 2nd round

Booth, Dubinsky, Krejci, Lisin, Comeau, Goligoski, Chris Bourque


2005 - 2nd round

Neal, Chourney, Paul Stastny, Vlasic, Pavalec, Raymond


2006 - 2nd round

Lucic, Matthias, Holzapfel, Sneep, Nodl, Petry, Kulemin

There is a ton of talent in the 2nd round every year

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:18 PM
  #24
PhysicalTorque
Registered User
 
PhysicalTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanataboy68 View Post
Not a recurring injury. A lacerated calf, to me is a cut or a tear in the calf, not his knee.

Maybe this is an opportunity to get him signed at a reasonable rate...
I remember watching CBC yesterday saying he had that Knee problem before, I don't know how you can lacerate your knee checking someone, did Neil have a pocket knife in his shin guards?

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
  #25
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
Cody Bass is not an enforcer. Maybe we should make a sticky thread about this. Without Neil we have no one to ride shotgun and our team becomes the softest in the division, with Laraque in MTL, Burke taking over in Toronto, the tough Bruins and the Sabres with Peters, Mair, and co., do you ****ing people even realize that?
Neil is a reluctant enforcer, the same way Bass is. Neil got to the league based on fighting, but he has gotten away from that. Neil isn't in the same category as Peters. Peters is like McGratton, and I think most people feel that those guys are a dying breed. Neil is more like Mair, or Brad May. Guys who play tough and are willing to drop them. That is what Bass is.

Quote:
Second, if you want to get rid of the dead weight in the bottom six, you get rid of McAmmond, Schubert. These are completely replaceable players, unlike Neil and instead of shedding the potential 1 - 1.5 that Neil would get, you save 1.6 million + and you free up not one but TWO roster spots!! Tadda!
I'm all for moving Deano and Schubert. Neil is replaceable too though. And even better, he is replaceable internally.

Quote:
Probably not LOLZ, letz get rid of ne1l, yayz l@te r0und p1ck ftw omfgwtfbbq!!!11one
I didn't type like that, so don't use this ******** to try and discredit what I say. Grow the **** up.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.