HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Neil Out Indefinitely

Old
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
I remember watching CBC yesterday saying he had that Knee problem before, I don't know how you can lacerate your knee checking someone, did Neil have a pocket knife in his shin guards?
Your calf is not your knee. Maybe Numminen's skate cut him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
Neil is a reluctant enforcer, the same way Bass is. Neil got to the league based on fighting, but he has gotten away from that.
Is that why he's set for his highest fight total since before the lockout? Neil has not shied away from fighting at all, the stats disagree with you. He's only 4 fights away from his second highest fighting total since joining the league. He isn't the least bit reluctant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
And even better, he is replaceable internally.
Really? By who? If you're getting at Bass, you've got to be kidding. Bass is a tough, defensive minded centre, willing to occasionally drop the gloves with a middleweight, or to defend a teammate. Neil will fight a heavywight, starts fights more often than not, and is much more of an intimidating factor. Not to mention he occasionally wins his fights. Bass really can't replace Neil at all, nor should he have to.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Tanoooki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post
I'm still baffled as to why most of you want him gone, for a 2nd round pick? Do you guys forget that by no means are 2nd rounders sure bets? Especially since we have 2 firsts...(Also, Kaigorodov and Nikulin come to mind...).

OF COURSE, we don't want to lose him for nothing, but he has been great for us this year, not necessarily lighting it up, but being an intimidating physical force that doesn't back down and has been trying to spark his teammates in the ways that he can.

This is a great situation, because he hasn't been producing, his worth is much lower than his pace a few seasons ago, making him affordable for us, especially since he's established in the community here. We can most likely sign him for under 1,5M a season and this is worth it.

If we DON'T sign him, we're going to have to bring someone else in and who is available that does the same job for a similar price?

Most of you guys just seem to want a change, but logically, that change for me is not in the enforcer position, especially not for a draft pick .
Ugh....... why do we need an enforcer? to fight other enforcers right?

those fights that are pre meditated do nothing......

Tanoooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
PhysicalTorque

[QUOTE=Bass Lee;17802940]Your calf is not your knee. Maybe Numminen's skate cut him.

Again, I watched the CBC version which spoke of a knee injury, not about a calf.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:43 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Again, I watched the CBC version which spoke of a knee injury, not about a calf.
You mean the live broadcast? At the time, it did look like a knee injury, both by the reaction, and the hit itself. I don't think anybody knew until today it was a calf laceration.

Old
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Jared Cowen

Hopefully this kills all the trade neil crap and he can resign where he belongs. Neil is not the kind of player we should be trying to get rid of. Neil brings a lot more than just fights, he has a decent amount of skill and in a good year can put up 20-30 points and he's the only player we have who will actually stand up for his teammates. Heres to a speedy recovery Neiler.

Jared Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:03 PM
kyle747

Quote:
I'm still baffled as to why most of you want him gone, for a 2nd round pick? Do you guys forget that by no means are 2nd rounders sure bets? Especially since we have 2 firsts...(Also, Kaigorodov and Nikulin come to mind...).

OF COURSE, we don't want to lose him for nothing, but he has been great for us this year, not necessarily lighting it up, but being an intimidating physical force that doesn't back down and has been trying to spark his teammates in the ways that he can.

This is a great situation, because he hasn't been producing, his worth is much lower than his pace a few seasons ago, making him affordable for us, especially since he's established in the community here. We can most likely sign him for under 1,5M a season and this is worth it.

If we DON'T sign him, we're going to have to bring someone else in and who is available that does the same job for a similar price?

Most of you guys just seem to want a change, but logically, that change for me is not in the enforcer position, especially not for a draft pick .
I'd be glad to keep him, but we have too many 3rd liners already earning more than 1M a season. Unless he is willing to take less - and contract talks went nowhere - we have no choice but to lose him.

We can't afford 2M for Chris Neil - with the best will in the world there is no way that can be made to work.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Anasazi

Bass > Neil

Are you guys nuts? Bass is going to be a decent 4th/3rd line energy player in the future, but come on, he's not even close to the toughness and enforcerness of Chris Neil. Think about it....Has Cody Bass ever actually WON a fight? Just my 2 cents

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:51 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
Fail.

The correct answer is

Bass + Neil > 2nd

You people are hilarious. Why are you so obsessed with that pick, which would potentially be nothing more than a late one? Why is getting rid of one of the longest serving Senators, as well as our only tough guy left, who also happens to be a fairly rare type of player worth some damn meaningless pick? We're not even rebuilding for Christ's sake.

If saving a couple of K's is that important, then why not get rid of anybody else who are overpaid or not filling expectations. There are a lot of players I would trade before Neil that would return better assets and clear up more cap space( Smith, Kelly, Vermette, etc,)

You are worried that Neil might get 1.5? Is that it? Jesus H. Christ.
Get rid of Schubert and McAmmond. Voila. Minus 1.6 right there. Happy?

Not to be a pain, but...

Fail.

It's Bass + neil Vs. Bass+2nd... Or in simpler terms, cross out the bass and your left with neil vs. 2nd rounder...which is the trade...You guys over analyze too much.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Is that why he's set for his highest fight total since before the lockout? Neil has not shied away from fighting at all, the stats disagree with you. He's only 4 fights away from his second highest fighting total since joining the league. He isn't the least bit reluctant.

Really? By who? If you're getting at Bass, you've got to be kidding. Bass is a tough, defensive minded centre, willing to occasionally drop the gloves with a middleweight, or to defend a teammate. Neil will fight a heavywight, starts fights more often than not, and is much more of an intimidating factor. Not to mention he occasionally wins his fights. Bass really can't replace Neil at all, nor should he have to.
You're right that Neil has gotten back to fighting, but for a couple seasons he was trying to play a more skilled game. I think he's realized that its in his career's interest to fight again, which is why I say he is a reluctant fighter.

I have nothing against Neil specifically. I just think we have a glut of bottom 6 guys, and have a need to get younger and more skilled. The easiest and most likely way to start that is to move Neil. I'll concede that Bass doesn't bring the same ability as a fighter, but heavyweight fighters are becoming less common, and often they won't even dress if the other team doesn't have someone to match up with. Having a guy to fight the heavyweights isn't that big a priority to me. I think Bass can fill Neil's roster spot, take less money, and only be a small drop off in terms of impact.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
You mean the live broadcast? At the time, it did look like a knee injury, both by the reaction, and the hit itself. I don't think anybody knew until today it was a calf laceration.
i was watching the Buffalo feed, and they had a good angle on it and it really looked like it was the skate that cut him. As well their announcers (i hate to give Harry Neale credit for anything, Jack***) called that he was cut.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Bass doesn't replace Neil...

Bass replaces someone like Kelly.... but our oh so smart GM resigned Kelly for 2.1mil. <_>

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:49 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Bass doesn't replace Neil...

Bass replaces someone like Kelly.... but our oh so smart GM resigned Kelly for 2.1mil. <_>
Chris Kelly provides incredibly more use than Neil does at the same price, which is what many people are suggesting Neil should get. I'm not saying Kelly isn't overpaid, but Neil would be even moreso at the same price.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Classless Goon
Witty User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
Chris Kelly provides incredibly more use than Neil does at the same price, which is what many people are suggesting Neil should get. I'm not saying Kelly isn't overpaid, but Neil would be even moreso at the same price.
I don't see Neil getting 2 million.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
inthewings

Shame about the injury, but if we can extend him at less than a million it might be a blessing in disguise. Guy has been a warrior for this team, and I'd hate to see him playing somewhere else.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM
SilverSeven

Whoo!

Neil Stays

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Brennan thinks he will, and deserves it, as do others. At anything more than 1.3-1.5, I don't think we can afford to bring him back. That's not an indictment of his abilities and value, but our roster already has too many bottom 6 players, and McAmmond and Neil are the most convenient ones to lose, as UFAs. If he wants the raise, he's best served to get it elsewhere.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
JoeSakic

Quote:
Out of curiosity what would you pay Chris Neil?

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
source

Bieksa had the same injury before - it took him forever until he got healthy again. This sucks, big time.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
SNAPshot

HSF, yes, draft picks can be good when they pan out, but they very rarely replace a need on your team right away, and we'd need someone to fill Neiler's role RIGHT AWAY.

You guys are obsessed with having Cody Bass as our Neil replacement... Is this based on the 3 fights he's had this season or the ONE he's had last season?

The most penalty minutes he's had was 4 years ago with Missisauga, with 152, which makes it pretty clear that we SHOULDN'T make him fight over 20 fights a year, which is what Neil is on pace for this season.

Neil is not going to get 2M for this team. He might get it elsewhere, but if he ends up signing here, it'll be for much less. WE NEED this type of player. If we have too many 3rd liners, someone else should be traded because these are big shoes to fill.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
HSF

Quote:
HSF, yes, draft picks can be good when they pan out, but they very rarely replace a need on your team right away, and we'd need someone to fill Neiler's role RIGHT AWAY.

You guys are obsessed with having Cody Bass as our Neil replacement... Is this based on the 3 fights he's had this season or the ONE he's had last season?

The most penalty minutes he's had was 4 years ago with Missisauga, with 152, which makes it pretty clear that we SHOULDN'T make him fight over 20 fights a year, which is what Neil is on pace for this season.

Neil is not going to get 2M for this team. He might get it elsewhere, but if he ends up signing here, it'll be for much less. WE NEED this type of player. If we have too many 3rd liners, someone else should be traded because these are big shoes to fill.
we dont need this type of player. Ruutu, Fisher, Bass, Smith can handle it

how many times has he actually fought for the skae of fighting? pretty much every time.

a we are looking to change the face of this team it is time to change some bodies around

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
HSF

Quote:
i can

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Classless Goon
Witty User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
we dont need this type of player. Ruutu, Fisher, Bass, Smith can handle it

Handle what? Fighting? Sticking up for this team? For ****,s sake, do you guys even watch this team?

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
2.1 million =/= 1.3 million. Sorry, I like Brennan, but he was saying Neil deserves it (which he does), not he'll get it. Assuming Murray doesn't dick around with them like he has been known to, I'm confident Neil would re-sign for no more than 1.5 million.

But yes, with Bass' mini-emergence last year, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get what we can for Kelly. Instead Murray gave him a bad contract...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
how many times has he actually fought for the skae of fighting? pretty much every time.
As opposed to fighting for the sake of...? A lot of Neil's fights come from hits he's thrown, or hits an opponent has, he's not Laraque.

Old
02-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:

You're right, Bass is way over his head in the N, and if ppl saw him develop would tend to agree, he's not even in Chris Neil's league..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Zorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Bieksa had the same injury before - it took him forever until he got healthy again. This sucks, big time.
Bieksa's injury was pretty frigging severe though. We don't know how deep the cut on Neil's leg is. Bieksa couldn't even put any weight on his leg because his calf muscle was cut so deeply. Neil was able to skate off and walk (ok, hobble) down the hall way. I think it is still a nasty cut, but I doubt that it was as bad as Bieksa's injury.

Neil is as tough as they come, so he may have been able to deal with a Bieksa-type injury and put weight on the leg, but I'm hoping that it is not as severe.

And to people who think Bass can replace Neil, I suggest that you actually watch hockey. He is not even close to what Neil brings.
I'd rather resign Neil instead of trading him for a possible 2nd. You can list all of the 2nd round players who turned out to be great players, but, I can list a whole lot more who were complete and utter busts.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote