HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Regier wants to re-sign Connolly before the trade deadline(maybe)

Old
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
From the Buffalo News article referenced in this thread (or some equivalent source), if you take the number of games Connolly will have played in his 3 year, $8.X million deal, and normalize to an 82 game season, he's essentially getting paid Briere / Vanek / Lecavalier type money, in terms of $/game-played, or $/points. But I state the obvious.
Quoting myself, I know, (last post 3rd page), but I hope BUF has made an appropriately low but not outrageously low offer, at least to try to get the net-net if he is resigned to wash out somewhat.

(If the offer has indeed been made.)

To me, that is the point of Darcy negotiating now. Asking for a little discount, to see where TC is in terms of wanting to stay in BUF. Wait until FA begins, and there's no chance of getting a discount, whatsoever. Amongst the pending BUF FA's, TC is the only one whom the Sabres may feel would consider giving them back a little discount.

(Although Max probably should too, but they're not going to offer him, IMO.)

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Kruschiki

So, my guess is that the offer probably isn't worth Regier commenting on nor Connolly countering, and is something along the lines of the type of 'gesture' they made to Briere before trading him. They need to know where they stand at the deadline, and this offer was just part of the process.

With that said, I agree that he should be signed and retained as a sabre if at all possible, unless they are big sellers at the deadline and can get a 1a/b center that is a year or two away from the NHL.

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
So, my guess is that the offer probably isn't worth Regier commenting on nor Connolly countering, and is something along the lines of the type of 'gesture' they made to Briere before trading him. They need to know where they stand at the deadline, and this offer was just part of the process.

With that said, I agree that he should be signed and retained as a sabre if at all possible, unless they are big sellers at the deadline and can get a 1a/b center that is a year or two away from the NHL.
what?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that's absurd.
This year is "the past"? Please. Your view on Connolly is the ultimate wordplay game.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
what?
Sorry, quick post, 'letting him walk'. But the essence is the same, they need to make some sort of effort to sign him prior to the deadline, in case they get a good offer.

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
what?
It was all part of the plan. We "traded" Briere to Philly and Drury to the Rangers in return for a better draft pick. We just did it in a round about way.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Fan-of-#9

I'd sign Connolly for a maximum of 2 years and an absolute maximum of $2.5M per season.

Otherwise, I'm not interested. If Darcy ponies up stupid money over stupid years, I will officially become a major detractor of Mr. Regier.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
I'd sign Connolly for a maximum of 2 years and ~$2M per season.

Otherwise, I'm not interested. If Darcy ponies up stupid money over stupid years, I will officially become a major detractor of Mr. Regier.
When the game becomes important his play level diminishes.

He is the antithesis of anything involving physicality. The fact that he refuses to accept a pass if he's against a wall is ****ing sickening. His hesitation to go into the corners is a detriment to his LINEMATES, and his secondary assists give him a free pass because his on-ice play is so infrequent that it's simply eye candy for his fans.

Get this man off my team.

Old
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

He is the antithesis of anything involving physicality. The fact that he refuses to accept a pass if he's against a wall is ****ing sickening. His hesitation to go into the corners is a detriment to his LINEMATES, and his secondary assists give him a free pass because his on-ice play is so infrequent that it's simply eye candy for his fans.

That claim is entirely unfounded.

The 05-06 playoffs disagree with you. I don't think I even need to pull up stats to justify that claim, anyone watching it would know. Unless those games weren't important.

And he still managed 9 points in 16 games in the 06-07 playoffs coming off not playing for a full season.

And last season down the stretch before he was shut down and he was taking all those painkillers, he was still generating a good deal of offense--hell, he was arguably our most consistent player (when he played).

Did he show up tonight against Anaheim? No. But that one game doesn't justify this whale of a claim.

There are plenty of rational, true reasons to justify not wanting to resign him. Saying he doesn't show up when the game get important is not one of them.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
That claim is entirely unfounded.

The 05-06 playoffs disagree with you. I don't think I even need to pull up stats to justify that claim, anyone watching it would know. Unless those games weren't important.
He played 7.2 games in the playoffs in 05. He scored a nice goal in game 1 against PHI and he had a performance for the ages in game 1 against OTT that year.

His playoff sample size isn't large enough to justify that claim you thought I was making, but I was speaking more on the recent games, see Anaheim, NYR, Ottawa... he hasn't done much recently, and his shying away from the walls makes his linemates worse. I'm tired of the attempts at excuses for the guy.

I said "when the game" becomes important... meaning as it wears down. Love when people take things how they want to debate them and not how they're written.

Old
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:

I can live with him in a secondary or tertiary role. Let him help us on the PP and provide a right-handed playmaker down the middle. Or let him be injured.... Just do not rely on him and treat him as a key piece moving forward.

At ~$2M on a short term deal, the risk related to his injury history can be validated by the potential reward. If Regier locks him up long term at anything even remotely close to the market value of a consistent 50-60 point player I might throw up.

The fact of the matter is, if Connolly remains healthy for the remainder of the season, he's going to command at least $3M+ per season and I don't want any part of that ordeal.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
I can live with him in a secondary or tertiary role. Let him help us on the PP and provide a right-handed playmaker down the middle. Or let him be injured.... Just do not rely on him and treat him as a key piece moving forward.

At ~$2M on a short term deal, the risk related to his injury history can be validated by the potential reward. If Regier locks him up long term at anything even remotely close to the market value of a consistent 50-60 point player I might throw up.

The fact of the matter is, if Connolly remains healthy for the remainder of the season, he's going to command at least $3M+ per season and I don't want any part of that ordeal.
I think you've provided a more unbiased opinion on the situation. Nice.

Old
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
He played 7.2 games in the playoffs in 05. He scored a nice goal in game 1 against PHI and he had a performance for the ages in game 1 against OTT that year.

His playoff sample size isn't large enough to justify that claim you thought I was making, but I was speaking more on the recent games, see Anaheim, NYR, Ottawa... he hasn't done much recently, and his shying away from the walls makes his linemates worse. I'm tired of the attempts at excuses for the guy.

I said "when the game" becomes important... meaning as it wears down. Love when people take things how they want to debate them and not how they're written.
So let me get this straight...his playoff sample size isn't large enough, but those three games are?

Never mind the fact that he was on a three game point streak entering tonight and now has points in 8 of his last 10 games (which by the way no other Sabre is even CLOSE to matching over the same span--not Roy, not Stafford, not any of them)...but he hasn't done much recently?

I really think you're just looking for reasons to hate Connolly, no matter how false it may be.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
OpethianSabre20

I'd still be down with offering him 3.5 for 1-2 years. Anything more in length or cost and I would let him walk at the end of the year.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
joshjull

If Connolly stays healthy he will command 4+mil per easily.

Thats too much for this team to pay him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
So let me get this straight...his playoff sample size isn't large enough, but those three games are?

Never mind the fact that he was on a three game point streak entering tonight and now has points in 8 of his last 10 games (which by the way no other Sabre is even CLOSE to matching over the same span--not Roy, not Stafford, not any of them)...but he hasn't done much recently?

I really think you're just looking for reasons to hate Connolly, no matter how false it may be.
His sample size in the playoffs isn't enough to dispute the claim that as the game goes on, and the minutes become more critical, his play deteriorates. Not too hard to comprehend if you legitimately want to.

Quantify the amount of times the play goes the other way from a failed deke of his or a failed pass reception due to fear of contact? Has he been in a corner in that 10 game span that has seen him score eighttttttt points? He's a *****. I hate him. I don't need to look for reasons to amplify the fact that he's a lot of what we don't need. It's obvious to those that don't love to simply see his body in the lineup no matter how he plays ( that's what it has come to - if he's playing at all, he's healthy, and that automatically means he's playing well to some)

Games like tonight put to rest any attempts to justify the contract his sorry ass will demand after FINALLY being healthy for over 50 games in a season (knock on wood). If he came to play EVERY NIGHT and gave his body up some more he'd earn more of my respect. He can't give his body up, though.

Old
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Ddubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If Connolly stays healthy he will command 4+mil per easily.

Thats too much for this team to pay him.
If he asks for that then **** him.
The whole organization has been waiting around for him to get healthy and start producing.
To ask for a contract like that would be a slap in the face.

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Luceni

2.0 or 2.5 mill per year is the absolute limit for Connolly to resign. He is never worth more than 3.0 million.

Want to see a 4,5 mill. 2 year deal. (2.0/2.5)

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
newostar

Question from a Canucks fan here...what would you guys want for Connolly or do you really think he'll be signed?

newostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newostar View Post
Question from a Canucks fan here...what would you guys want for Connolly or do you really think he'll be signed?
we have no center depth. we cant trade him, if we do we have no playoff hopes and the impending results from a fan base that sees the franchise give up would be disastrous.

he's not really available for anything less than a top 6 center.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think a lot depends on how this week of contract talks finish up. If saturday comes and regier feels far far apart, I'd expect him to shop TC. And rightfully so

Old
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
I think a lot depends on how this week of contract talks finish up. If saturday comes and regier feels far far apart, I'd expect him to shop TC. And rightfully so
Exactly. My gut feel is that we won't see him re-signed before the deadline, but that the FO is feeling their camp out to see how far apart they are. Too far = try to move him, in the ballpark and they will most likely hang on an work at a contract.

IN either case, you just won't be able to move him and bring back a player that can provide similar offense. So why not see if you have a shot at keeping him for a reasonable price.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newostar View Post
Connolly and Kotalik for Kessler

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Connolly and Kotalik for Kessler

that and a 2nd could do it but then we'd be sellers. PASS

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
wyldthing89

I would resign him for 2,5 millions and an option for 2010-2011 of 4 millions if he play at least 70 games so both wins if he stay healthy but i'm not sure if they can do that like baseball.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote