HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Renney! (Part 3)

View Poll Results: What Should Become of Renney?
Keep him! 48 22.33%
Fire him or Demote him! (Assistant Coach, Scout, etc) 167 77.67%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
  #26
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
"Quinn is known for promoting a rugged puck possession oriented style of offensive hockey"

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
  #27
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Dawes at center?

Its time. Fire him. Demote him, whatever.

He isnt reaching this team.

Just dont bring Avery back.
dawes isn't playing center....
carpinello had the
lines screwed up...

he isn't reaching the team?

you realize before that before the dallas game the argument was his system was holding up the teams offense...so........wouldn't that mean he is reaching the team?

is it time for renney to go? no not during the season...renney has earned the right to coach this team to the end of the season...he should be evaluated then...I'm curios as to what coach you think could come in and turn 15 goal scorers into 30 goal scorers?

don't tell me your want of those fans that can't apperciate a cerebral coach...please tell me you don't relate a coach who yells with success...the classic beaten as a child syndrome this board is plagued with...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
  #28
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I guarantee you Dawes was not practicing at center.
Ok, Zipay has Korpedo as the center, so thats probably the case then.

If so i retract my statements, but you cant blame me for thinking that if in fact Dawes was at center.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
  #29
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Keep him.
Unless you root for me in my prediction (back in Sept when every one loved him) that Tom will be fired in Jan based on Sather's summer work. Well, I might be off by just a month...

94now is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
  #30
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,531
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Ok, Zipay has Korpedo as the center, so thats probably the case then.

If so i retract my statements, but you cant blame me for thinking that if in fact Dawes was at center.
no, but I can absolutely blame you for thinking that was the case

Thirty One is online now  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
  #31
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
dawes isn't playing center....
carpinello had the
lines screwed up...

he isn't reaching the team?

you realize before that before the dallas game the argument was his system was holding up the teams offense...so........wouldn't that mean he is reaching the team?

is it time for renney to go? no not during the season...renney has earned the right to coach this team to the end of the season...he should be evaluated then...I'm curios as to what coach you think could come in and turn 15 goal scorers into 30 goal scorers?

don't tell me your want of those fans that can't apperciate a cerebral coach...please tell me you don't relate a coach who yells with success...the classic beaten as a child syndrome this board is plagued with...
Youve got a lot of nerve saying something like that.

I thought you actually could carry a good argument, now i've lost a lot of respect for you SOS.

Id rather not waste my time explaining myself for the 20th time.

Have fun continuing twisting arguments in favor of your point and not having the capacity to see the other side of a discussion, later.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
  #32
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
"Quinn is known for promoting a rugged puck possession oriented style of offensive hockey"

Inferno is online now  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:38 PM
  #33
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
no, but I can absolutely blame you for thinking that was the case
Well it's what was being reported, guess now that Sam is gone we get the guys (and gal) who apparently can't figure out what position players are playing during practice....

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
  #34
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not totally thrilled with his evaluations either.

We have passed on some very very good players that could be helping this team right now and as the guy that ran our player personel dept before becomming coach, I blame him for some missed opportunities that we had at the drafts

We could have had Zajac or Wolski instead we took Korpikoski

We could have had a whole slew of guys after Jessiman.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but as a coach he's very lacking and as a talent evaluator he's just as lacking.

I would rather we just up and part ways at this point. Keeping him doesn't better the organization.
so those players being passed over is renneys fault? interesting I guess somedays you blame sather the others renney...

I guess renney shouldn't get any credit for the good players the team did draft? what about the countless kids hes given major ice time to...when was the last time we have had a coach that did that?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
  #35
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Youve got a lot of nerve saying something like that.

I thought you actually could carry a good argument, now i've lost a lot of respect for you SOS.

Id rather not waste my time explaining myself for the 20th time.

Have fun continuing twisting arguments in favor of your point and not having the capacity to see the other side of a discussion, later.
I see the other side to all the arguments I just think a lot of this renney bashing is offbase..not rooted in reality...etc.....

I could care less what you think of me.....later..lol

the guy who can't figure out dawes playing center was a typo is going to complain about my point of view...now that is funny..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
  #36
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so those players being passed over is renneys fault? interesting I guess somedays you blame sather the others renney...

I guess renney shouldn't get any credit for the good players the team did draft? what about the countless kids hes given major ice time to...when was the last time we have had a coach that did that?
I don't think anyone here gives Sather a pass. In this thread, though, the discussion is Renney, and people are just saying that he had a hand in draft choices which involved not drafting players who are now awesome NHL players, while picking guys who have much lower upside.

I appreciate the fact that Renney's incorporation of youth has been good, but comparing it the old days is stupid, since there WAS no youth then.

we want cup is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
  #37
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Youve got a lot of nerve saying something like that.

I thought you actually could carry a good argument, now i've lost a lot of respect for you SOS.

Id rather not waste my time explaining myself for the 20th time.

Have fun continuing twisting arguments in favor of your point and not having the capacity to see the other side of a discussion, later.
Relax, SOS is right. His argument about 15 vs 30 goal scorers was made and it is all you need. Reed his post. No coach change can help.

94now is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
  #38
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
"Quinn is known for promoting a rugged puck possession oriented style of offensive hockey"
Quinn is all wrong for this team. This team isn't just soft on the ice, I think they're soft in the room, too. They'll crumble under a coaching tyrant like Quinn. He can be a good coach in the right situation, but this isn't it.

I know you can make the same argument for Tortorella, but I think he actually makes a lot of sense. There's a difference between the two. If not him, than Laviollette.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
  #39
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,531
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I know you can make the same argument for Tortorella, but I think he actually makes a lot of sense. There's a difference between the two.
what is it?

Thirty One is online now  
Old
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
  #40
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Relax, SOS is right. His argument about 15 vs 30 goal scorers was made and it is all you need. Reed his post. No coach change can help.

thank you...it was my argument as well as how ridiculous it is that the same people that cry about the system being played to tight now say renney lost the team...you can't have it both ways!!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
  #41
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
dawes isn't playing center....
carpinello had the
lines screwed up...

he isn't reaching the team?

you realize before that before the dallas game the argument was his system was holding up the teams offense...so........wouldn't that mean he is reaching the team?

is it time for renney to go? no not during the season...renney has earned the right to coach this team to the end of the season...he should be evaluated then...I'm curios as to what coach you think could come in and turn 15 goal scorers into 30 goal scorers?

don't tell me your want of those fans that can't apperciate a cerebral coach...please tell me you don't relate a coach who yells with success...the classic beaten as a child syndrome this board is plagued with...
It's what's best for the team.... not always what's the right thing to do for a coach. This is a professional sport and if your not succeeding, then you need to change things up.

Since Renney has been here we have made the playoffs three straight years. We have been doing well and he is partially to thank for that success. But we need change if we want to get into the playoffs and even past the first round.

Garfinkel1 is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 05:12 PM
  #42
RichterLundqvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oswego, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Fire Sather is more like it. The guy is stuck in the stone age money management wise; get a GM who can work with the salary cap and then see what can be fixed (which you know will take time; something a lot of people on this board can't stomach) Trading away the youth for a scoring winger at the deadline so we can bomb out in the 2nd is not worth it.

Not saying Renney doesnt have his faults but many of the major problems with the team lie on Sather's shoulders. Renney can only do so much with what he's given. When you dont have a top line it's kinda hard to do anything but play defensively.

Main problem I have with Renney is his dicking about with the lineup CONSTANTLY; and not giving players who earn their ice time and play their guts out(Prucha, etc) playing time over dolts like Voros, who has done nothing but stink up the joint since about the 2nd week of the season. His reasoning that Prucha wears down doesnt fly when you could play him a couple games, sit him one, and so on. At least he is visible on the ice (and not in a taking boneheaded penalties sort of way).


Last edited by RichterLundqvist: 02-08-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added more
RichterLundqvist is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
  #43
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Tomorrow night will tell........

Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
  #44
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
before we panic let's see how the team bounces back

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #45
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,576
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so those players being passed over is renneys fault? interesting I guess somedays you blame sather the others renney...

I guess renney shouldn't get any credit for the good players the team did draft? what about the countless kids hes given major ice time to...when was the last time we have had a coach that did that?
As director of Player Personel he has ALOT to do with the type of player we draft and who we select when it is our turn.

Absolutely he bears alot of the blame in that regards.

I give him alot of credit for the players he's drafted, but when you have the ability to generally get the pick of the litter in the draft after the top 10-15 guys are gone and you screw the pooch 2-3 years in a row (Montoya is a semi bust but I understand the need to draft him when the did with Dan Blackburn still injured).

Even with some of the solid players he has had a hand in drafting, there's still not an offensive leader amongst them. Not one of the drafts he's been an integral part of has the ability to point to one individual player nad say teams are going to game plan against this player or that player. We have no offensive weapons that we have drafted that causes problems for opposing teams. He had the ability to draft 2-3 of those and what we got was a 3rd line winger (Korpedo) and a total bust in Jessiman. Lets take is a step further. I absolutely love the Staal pick, but we all knew we needed an offensive forward in the system as that was what we truly lacked. Instead he goes out and selects Sangs when he could have gotten a Berglund. He did follow the Sangs pick with Artem (was considered by many to be a late 1st riunder that fell the day of the draft). Cherepanov was a no brainer. He had to be taken in that position. It's a good pick, but not one that was "hard to make". I would have liked to have seen who he would have chosen had Cherry not fallen into our laps. I like the DZ pick and I think he's going to be more of a force for this team than Sangs will be. But based on the selection of Sangs, already having a guy like Staal on the team with Girardi also on the team and Sauer in the system, I personally think that we could have used that pick on what was and still is more of a need which is an offensive forward. Someone like Eberle or Nemisz.

Yes, Tom has alot to do with the piss poor drafting this team has had in the first rounds over the last few years and while they are progressing nicely, Sangs and DZ still have alot to prove before they are considered successes.

As for giving the kids ice time, I applaud that I really do. But if those kids are not getting any better, and they aren't, he's not making the organization any better by playing them.

Tom Renney has no balance to his system. I'm not saying we have 40 goal guys here, but some balance to the system and this team should have a 30 goal guy. The fact that he fails to sit any vet that make continous mistakes is pathetic. The fact that the ONLY players to be made held accountable is Fritchie, Dawes, Voros, and Prucha is absurd.

When you hold the kind of practice he held and the team resonds they way they did, it's LOUD and CLEAR that he's lost the team. He needs to go and we need to cut ties once and for all.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
  #46
Macke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Quinn eh? He's old and has been out of the NHL for a while now..though had some success with Canada.

As long as it's a short term thing.. this year and next.

Macke* is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
  #47
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
It's what's best for the team.... not always what's the right thing to do for a coach. This is a professional sport and if your not succeeding, then you need to change things up.

Since Renney has been here we have made the playoffs three straight years. We have been doing well and he is partially to thank for that success. But we need change if we want to get into the playoffs and even past the first round.
Give one example when it worked, please. Feel free to pick ANY sport team in New York. Just do not go outside NYC. We are special place.

94now is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
  #48
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Give one example when it worked, please. Feel free to pick ANY sport team in New York. Just do not go outside NYC. We are special place.
Buck Showalter did a nice job with the Yankees.

He gets fired, Joe Torre comes in, 4 World Series Championships.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  #49
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Tom Renney has no balance to his system.
What balance? F to D? Right to left? Any system is balanced, that is why it is called System. When team is unbalanced, the system usually balances it. That is the system's purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not saying we have 40 goal guys here, but some balance to the system and this team should have a 30 goal guy.
Nonsense. It is like saying, if you save money, you can be rich. System does not suppress scoring. All system does is balancing and by doing that it prevents losing. We lose not because of the system, but BECAUSE THE OTHER TEAM IS BETTER. There's no way to coach out of mediocrity. You cannot make a good bullet out of pile of crap. It will be soft no matter what. Change the players. If not, just keep quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The fact that he fails to sit any vet that make continous mistakes is pathetic.
I agree here, but the call to sit Gomez or Redden doesn't come from Tom. Slats should Okay that, because it would be beginning of the war. Sather may even replace Renney to get into war with Gomer, but decision to start it is not Renney's. Melrose started it on his own and got axed quickly. Sertain thing coach is not allowed to do. Coach deosn't run the show.

94now is offline  
Old
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
  #50
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
before we panic let's see how the team bounces back
Wasn't Dallas supposed to be the "bounce back" game?
Even if they win tomorrow night, what does that prove?
That they're capable of beating the Devils?
We know that already.

Nick00 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.