HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire Renney! (Part 3)

View Poll Results: What Should Become of Renney?
Keep him! 48 22.33%
Fire him or Demote him! (Assistant Coach, Scout, etc) 167 77.67%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
KotsyJr
THE POWER OF CHRIST

vCash: 500
Always liked Renney. Classy guy, seemed like a decent coach, etc. But I'm all for him getting canned (I'd like to keep him within the organization though). I don't think it's all his fault, but the team seems to be at the point where some big change is much needed. They clearly aren't responding to adversity or Renney's "call-outs" (practice sprints and what not).

Old
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

well regardless of what this board thinks or for that matter even a majority of NYR fans, if that is even the case, I don't see Renney getting fired anytime soon. Maybe if we miss the playoffs.

Maybe.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Wow, Redden a part of two total collapses in two straight seasons...

Drury doesnt want the puck on his stick ever, unless hes going to shoot, he has Zero confidence in carrying the puck.

Gomez, more of the same crap.

Best forward on the ice for the Rangers is Betts once again, that should never be the case.

Naslund was absolutely invisible again.

Renney switching lines up every two shifts in game despite the fact that hes tried that about 2,000 times the past 3 seasons and its never worked once.

Voros, wow. what a player. He is SOOOO much better than Prucha on a team thats scored more than 2 goals in regulation 3 times in the last 15 games.

No second chances in the game at all, NONE. Come up with your own conclusions why that is happening. Its has nothing to do with the skill of the players on the team.

Once again making a backup or rookie goaltender look like Patrick Roy because its the same identical rush every time up the ice, with no support whatsoever.

Once again Lundqvist giving his team a chance to win, what a terrible waste of a very high caliber goalie. What a waste.

This team is absolutely horrendous.

For those who think Renney is doing a great job... tell me why the PP is so bad and costing them game after game after game. Dont blame it on the assistant coaches please. Thats taking the easy way out.

While your at it tell me why a record of 1 game over .500, ONE GAME since November is sufficient enough for a team that has a better roster than others with similar records.

I blame the coach, i blame the players, i blame the GM, i blame everyone. I dont think ive seen the Rangers this bad since before the lockout and thats including the last few seasons slumps. They have incredibly bad leaders on this team starting with coach on down.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
BJo

Sather should be fired before Renney. He has done a horrible job with UFA signings and has just been unable to control spending. Spending is fine if its on the right players, and i don't think he's done a good enough job, considering he gets paid to make those assessments. Did anyone think Gomez would be this bad? Maybe not but thats what you pay the "experts" to figure out. Just my view.

I think that Sather has basically saddled your team with huge contracts with players who are not "go to" guys. I don't think any of Drury/Gomez are the type who are going to carry you to a cup or be difference makers. I'm sure many of you differ. But I think he built a core that is simply not good enough and cannot be traded with their cap hits

Old
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
The Thomas J.*

He has got to go, I've made up my mind, It;s time to clean house, Everyone mist go from the top down, Sather, Renney, Pearn the players, Keep Aliure, Build around Lundquist, Drury, MAra, Cally & Staal.

Old
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
When Renney is canned tomorrow and this team goes on to miss the playoffs with his replacement what will you blame then?

I thought your avatar was a joke, but your head really is that far up your ass.
keep drinking the koolaide bro. atleast im not in denial.

so its better then to keep renney and miss the playoffs ?

atleast im for trying something diffferent.

whats your solution, more of the same right?

i figured.

Old
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
nonsense

Newsflash, the players can't be themselves if they get benched every time they think offense. It's ridiculous that Renney would bench players (Dubinsky, Zherdev) for working hard and trying to score goals. That set a tone that if you don't play by his system, you won't play. Well we don't have players to play his system.

Also, how can anyone have chemistry on lines where he changes them every game, and then 2 - 3 times a game. How are the players supposed to know where their linemates are when they don't even know who is on their line.

Could you please tell me the last time Dubinsky or Zherdev were benched for thinking offense?

If I recall Zherdev was benched months ago, and was the only one of the two who was benched for taking ridiculos chances with the puck that ended up hurting the team.

Dubinsky was benched in the Islanders game for taking lazy penalties, not trying to create offense.

Renney has said multiple times that he has absolutely nothing against offensive creativity. His problem is with taking unneccasry risks that leave us vulnerable the other way.

He encourages Zherdev to make plays when in the zone. He encourages everyone.

Do people really think Tom is that dumb that he'd rather lose 1-0 than win 4-3?

He knows this team needs to score and he knows he needs to win to save his job.

The team has NO ONE capable of doing it though.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
mattyd99

Thank you Renney the first 3 years were good but it's time. I appreciate how players actually improved under you but all good things come to an end and unfortunately this ended months ago. Good luck in the future and keep this in mind, good defense can win games but you have to score goals to win.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Sign Avery, Fire Renney...and call up the 4 horsemen.

Seriously this is ridiculous.

People like Dawes , Voros , and Orr are in the lineup when people like PAP, Artem, and Prucha should be playing.

It doesn't matter how big you are if you are so slow you show up to the play after everyone else has left.

Z is the only bright spot, but its hard to play hockey when you have no one to pass to.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Send him on a conditioning assignment in Hartford.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
ruckus*

[QUOTE=MikeyLikesHockey;17826527]Sign Avery, Fire Renney...and call up the 4 horsemen.

Seriously this is ridiculous.

People like Dawes , Voros , and Orr are in the lineup when people like PAP, Artem, and Prucha should be playing.

It doesn't matter how big you are if you are so slow you show up to the play after everyone else has left.

Z is the only bright spot, but its hard to play hockey when you have no one to pass to.[/QUOTE]

I love Zherdev, but how are you going to make this comment and yet blame Renney?

Can you explain that to me?

Old
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
NYRSchrute217

I know this will never happen, but this team needs to sell at the deadline. Get rid of garbage like Gomez, Drury and Redden and make a run for Kovalchuk next year.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

At what point isn't it obvious that if EVERYONE sucks, then the coach is at least partially to blame?

Sadly, I don't know that Sather fires Renney tomorrow. I'm thinking it may take at least 10 games in a row (i.e. another five games - ugh) or something like that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Could you please tell me the last time Dubinsky or Zherdev were benched for thinking offense?

If I recall Zherdev was benched months ago, and was the only one of the two who was benched for taking ridiculos chances with the puck that ended up hurting the team.

Dubinsky was benched in the Islanders game for taking lazy penalties, not trying to create offense.

Renney has said multiple times that he has absolutely nothing against offensive creativity. His problem is with taking unneccasry risks that leave us vulnerable the other way.

He encourages Zherdev to make plays when in the zone. He encourages everyone.

Do people really think Tom is that dumb that he'd rather lose 1-0 than win 4-3?

He knows this team needs to score and he knows he needs to win to save his job.

The team has NO ONE capable of doing it though.
The point was that by benching them so early, he set the tone that if you play like that you will get benched. The players are playing scared. What's so bad about taking chances? Thats why you have defenseman. Renney has a 4th line that is insignificant. How does Colton Orr play every day? How can you defend a guy that played Ryan Hollweg every day? I think any coach would rather win than lose, however I think he tries to win games 2 - 1 and rely on Lundqvist. Does he not realize that changing the lines every game isn't working? Does he not realize that our powerplay sucks and maybe he should practice it? You can't tell me that guys who have had past successes scoring points all just decided to suck at the same time. Maybe one or two guys fall off, but not the whole team. They are afraid to crash the net fearing that they will not get back in time for defense and thus be benched by Renney. It's not working and we need a change.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
10 games in a row (i.e. another five games - ugh)
No way that's happening.
They always win a game here and there out of luck or just the other team not showing up.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Macke*

Give teh Rangers someone that is an offensive style coach.

At least some of the games will be entertaining then.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:51 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
The point was that by benching them so early, he set the tone that if you play like that you will get benched.
if Dubinsky and Zherdev are scared of being benched for turning the puck over and being overall irresponsible, I'd hate to see what they look like when they're comfortable.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
Sather should be fired before Renney. He has done a horrible job with UFA signings and has just been unable to control spending. Spending is fine if its on the right players, and i don't think he's done a good enough job, considering he gets paid to make those assessments. Did anyone think Gomez would be this bad? Maybe not but thats what you pay the "experts" to figure out. Just my view.

I think that Sather has basically saddled your team with huge contracts with players who are not "go to" guys. I don't think any of Drury/Gomez are the type who are going to carry you to a cup or be difference makers. I'm sure many of you differ. But I think he built a core that is simply not good enough and cannot be traded with their cap hits
Bingo. It all starts with Sather. He signed guys that aren't superstars to superstar money. At the very most, these guys are worth $5 million. I understand Renney has to take some of the blame and I think a coaching change has to happen but sometimes there's only so much you could do with your roster.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Scratch Renney next game, hey Omsk did it to their coach for a period

Old
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
if Dubinsky and Zherdev are scared of being benched for turning the puck over and being overall irresponsible, I'd hate to see what they look like when they're comfortable.
they won't turn the puck over? wow easy answer

can't you see the team doesn't play with the same edge they used to? Watch the tapes from the first 5 games of the year. It was a completely different game

Old
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Bingo. It all starts with Sather. He signed guys that aren't superstars to superstar money. At the very most, these guys are worth $5 million. I understand Renney has to take some of the blame and I think a coaching change has to happen but sometimes there's only so much you could do with your roster.
He just simply not disciplined enough. Everyone knew that Redden had lost a step last year. He was terrible in Ottawa last season. I can see why Sather may have envisioned him rebounding his career in a new atmosphere and in a new city, but he still should never have offered him that much money. I think his strategy is that if he thinks a player will fit in well here, he will do ANYTHING to make it happen. That is the right attitude only when it comes to Alex Rodriguez type players, but when its Redden and Drury he has to be able to show some discipline and say that "this is the maximum i am going to give you."

As poorly as you can argue Edmonton is being run, I think they handled the Ryan Smyth situation perfectly. This is a guy they wanted to stay with their team and thought was extremely valuable to the organization. But they set limits on how much they thought he was worth and were willing to move on if Smyth thought he was worth more.

NYR are a desirable place to play. I don't really see why they need to throw the money at these guys that they do. Drury grew up a Rangers fan his whole life and is from CT. He wouldn't have signed here for less than what he got? I think Sather is horrible at estimating player's worth and thats just an inexcusable quality for a GM.

Not trying to troll. I just hate seeing all the blame on Renney when it really starts with Sather IMO. You should be able to do more with their financial resources.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:06 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
He just simply not disciplined enough. Everyone knew that Redden had lost a step last year. He was terrible in Ottawa last season. I can see why Sather may have envisioned him rebounding his career in a new atmosphere and in a new city, but he still should never have offered him that much money. I think his strategy is that if he thinks a player will fit in well here, he will do ANYTHING to make it happen. That is the right attitude only when it comes to Alex Rodriguez type players, but when its Redden and Drury he has to be able to show some discipline and say that "this is the maximum i am going to give you."

As poorly as you can argue Edmonton is being run, I think they handled the Ryan Smyth situation perfectly. This is a guy they wanted to stay with their team and thought was extremely valuable to the organization. But they set limits on how much they thought he was worth and were willing to move on if Smyth thought he was worth more.

NYR are a desirable place to play. I don't really see why they need to throw the money at these guys that they do. Drury grew up a Rangers fan his whole life and is from CT. He wouldn't have signed here for less than what he got? I think Sather is horrible at estimating player's worth and thats just an inexcusable quality for a GM.

Not trying to troll. I just hate seeing all the blame on Renney when it really starts with Sather IMO. You should be able to do more with their financial resources.
Your not trolling at all. I actually agree with everything your saying. Sather has to say enough is enough. Believe it or not, if you don't sign somebody to a long term deal and waste all your cap space on guys that don't deserve it, the world won't come to an end. You can actually save cap space for something that's actually worth it.

There's no way you could argue that Redden is worth $6.5 million after the last 2 seasons he's played. Just no way. He didn't spend big money the 2 years after the lockout and those were the two best teams since then. Sometimes I think Don Maloney had a bigger impact then some think and that Sather is just clueless without him.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
they won't turn the puck over? wow easy answer
easy and nonsensical, well done.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Did Renny do a post game?

Old
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

I'm pretty sure most people here agree with you and won't mind the firing of Sather... but it simply won't happen. Even if it is his fault, the head coach will inevitably be the first to go.

Closed Thread