HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Biron vs Niittymaki

Old
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Jaydepps

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I've supported Nitty since his rookie year. I always thought he should start, so I am glad that he is getting his chance again. I think I may be one of like 10 people with a Nitty Flyers jersey.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'd really hate to be the GM this off season. I have no idea who I would resign. I'd probably keep Biron for the time being.
No kidding, it's not going to be fun for Holmgren.

Unless Biron heats up and elevates his play, and takes the team on a deep playoff run...then the only way I resign Biron is for 3.25 on a two year. With cap trouble were in, and future economic situation...we can ill afford to over-pay.

If the Wild sign Backstrom, which I have to think they will...then maybe package Lupul (+, ?) off to them for Harding...and roll with Niitty and Harding (this would free up cap space to address the D a little better too). I know it might look a little scary, but I'm really not all that sold on Biron. He's been in la-la land this season.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
These are all great options for the future, but I meant addressing the goalie position/hole right now. Nothing personal, but I don't see how any of these options make the Flyers better immediately.

Also, I simply don't see us in the market for one of the big three potential UFA's unless there is somehow we can move Briere...again, another long shot.

However, I do agree with you. Holmgren needs to address this issue.
Naturally, it wouldn't be until next season and further on (with the possible exception of acquiring Lehtonen). Other then him, I think it would be next to impossible to acquire a legitimate starting goalie to finish this current season.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
chromemaro

its like last season all over again

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Naturally, it wouldn't be until next season and further on (with the possible exception of acquiring Lehtonen). Other then him, I think it would be next to impossible to acquire a legitimate starting goalie to finish this current season.
I have no idea what Lehtonen makes, do you?

Unless it's significantly less than Biron, then I'd rather keep what we have.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:47 AM
JS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I've supported Nitty since his rookie year. I always thought he should start, so I am glad that he is getting his chance again. I think I may be one of like 10 people with a Nitty Flyers jersey.
My thoughts exactly. I thought that he should have been allowed to continue playing prior to the Burke trade. He was playing well then and has shown the promise but has never been given the true chance. He gets 2-3 games, has a poor game or the team doesn't show up, and then it's back the Biron.

I can never tell if people are mocking me when I am wearing my Niitty jersey at a game.

JS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
No kidding, it's not going to be fun for Holmgren.

Unless Biron heats up and elevates his play, and takes the team on a deep playoff run...then the only way I resign Biron is for 3.25 on a two year. With cap trouble were in, and future economic situation...we can ill afford to over-pay.

If the Wild sign Backstrom, which I have to think they will...then maybe package Lupul (+, ?) off to them for Harding...and roll with Niitty and Harding (this would free up cap space to address the D a little better too). I know it might look a little scary, but I'm really not all that sold on Biron. He's been in la-la land this season.
With a cap dump of Niitty + Biron, Lupul, Jones there is ample room to afford Backstrom.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
With a cap dump of Niitty + Biron, Lupul, Jones there is ample room to afford Backstrom.
I doubt he's even going to be made available. With Gaborik all but gone, the Wild have the money to sign him, and I expect that they do just that.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:58 AM
TheFlyingP

Contract year for Thomas and Fernandez, Boston can't keep them both. There probably gonna throw a ton of money at Thomas so he is most likely out of the running. I wouldn't mind seeing Fernandez here next year.

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:15 AM
BADger

I dont see Fernandez that much better than Biron or Nitty, so acquiring him doesnt really change the situation, Thomas homever would be a different thing, as would Backstrom if he becomes FA.

Lehtonen's salary is 3mil, and will be a RFA after this season. I see him as a guy, who should we should take a chance on: change of scenery could be all he needs to become true franchise goalie, as he has all the potential and skills to do it. Atlanta's teams dont give him any help to build up good numbers, so the stats lie a bit in his situation. There has also been clear signals that Atlanta has a plan with Pavelec, and Lehtonen may be available.. Has anyone any idea what would he cost at deadline? Nitty,Jones and Lupul/pick would do it?

BADger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADger View Post
I dont see Fernandez that much better than Biron or Nitty, so acquiring him doesnt really change the situation, Thomas homever would be a different thing, as would Backstrom if he becomes FA.

Lehtonen's salary is 3mil, and will be a RFA after this season. I see him as a guy, who should we should take a chance on: change of scenery could be all he needs to become true franchise goalie, as he has all the potential and skills to do it. Atlanta's teams dont give him any help to build up good numbers, so the stats lie a bit in his situation. There has also been clear signals that Atlanta has a plan with Pavelec, and Lehtonen may be available.. Has anyone any idea what would he cost at deadline? Nitty,Jones and Lupul/pick would do it?
Trading Niitty for Lehtonen would jeopordize our guaranteed wins over the Thrashers.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:15 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Trading Niitty for Lehtonen would jeopordize our guaranteed wins over the Thrashers.
Truth.
Niitty!!!

I would honestly consider keeping Niitty over Biron.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:16 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
I doubt he's even going to be made available. With Gaborik all but gone, the Wild have the money to sign him, and I expect that they do just that.
They'll let him go as they do with every star player.
Would you want to play for a team that develops talent then lets its purposefully slip away.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
We've got some news on former Ottawa Senators goalie Ray Emery, who has left his Russian club, at least for now. Emery didn't report to his KHL team, Mytishchi Atlant, after the league's break this past week.

A source told ESPN.com the netminder is upset because the team has been short-changing him on his $2-million net salary. Apparently, Mytishchi Atlant hasn't used the right exchange rate for most of the season and Emery is about 33 percent shy right now of what he should have earned. The Russian ruble has been hammered all year long, making it hard on KHL teams to pay players.
Bring in Ray Emery.
Upgrade!

posted on the main board
Source:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

Old
02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
I would be amazed if Minny doesn't re-sign Backstrom. It seems like they don't really see Harding as the future, or see that him as a starter is still a ways off, as he has only played in 11 games and several of those have been in relief appearances. Harding definitely would be a good target in the offseason.

I would like to see the team try to acquire a younger goalie this offseason (Harding, Schneider, Pavelec, Enroth come to mind) and go with a tandem of the young goalie and either Biron or Niitymaki (with the rest of this season determining who) next season. Plus if he happens to fall to our first pick, I wouldn't mind the Flyers drafting Olivier Roy. I know using high picks on goalies is a gamble, but it looks like time to take one.

However, I cannot see anything being done by the deadline in regards to our goaltending. There just isn't any upgrade to what we have that are even feasible to acquire.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:24 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I would be amazed if Minny doesn't re-sign Backstrom. It seems like they don't really see Harding as the future, or see that him as a starter is still a ways off, as he has only played in 11 games and several of those have been in relief appearances. Harding definitely would be a good target in the offseason.

I would like to see the team try to acquire a younger goalie this offseason (Harding, Schneider, Pavelec, Enroth come to mind) and go with a tandem of the young goalie and either Biron or Niitymaki (with the rest of this season determining who) next season. Plus if he happens to fall to our first pick, I wouldn't mind the Flyers drafting Olivier Roy. I know using high picks on goalies is a gamble, but it looks like time to take one.

However, I cannot see anything being done by the deadline in regards to our goaltending. There just isn't any upgrade to what we have that are even feasible to acquire.
Oliver Roy in the Draft.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
They'll let him go as they do with every star player.
Would you want to play for a team that develops talent then lets its purposefully slip away.
I'd be absolutely shocked, but stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post

You and me both. It was speculation at the beginning of the season that Harding would get a chunk of starts...that hasn't happened for whatever reason.

Schneider would be the guy I key in on, but I don't see the Canucks moving him until they have Luongo locked up long-term.

Harding wouldn't be bad, but I don't see it as an upgrade, just a cheaper option....and I think the time to take a serious run at the cup is now. Timonen isn't getting any younger and the cap/economy is going to cause us to break the team down.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Few options:

1. Sign Harding to an offer sheet or trade for him. If Minny decides to go with him for next season, pursue Backstrom via free agency.
Since when is Harding a legit #1? Hes played 11 games this year and last year when he played more he was up around a 3gaa.

Quote:
2. Trade for Leclaire from Columbus Lehtonen from Atlanta (if they decide to go with Pavelec). Keep one of Biron or Nitty for if/when they go down due to injury.
Leclaire looks good on a defensive team but is always hurt. Lehtonen gets shelled year in and year out. I dont care who he plays for, a 2.88gaa is not a legit #1, nor is it much of an upgrade if any over what we have.

Quote:
3. Trade for a prospect that is ready for the NHL and stuck behind an established starter (like Pavelec, Enroth or Schneider). The price will likely be much cheaper than advertised on hfboards and the return has the potential to be huge.
Niitty was a pretty big prospect, same with boucher, oulette and pelletier...any legit #1 goalies there?

Quote:
4. Free up a bit of cap space and pursue a legit UFA goalie. Out of Khabibulin, Backstrom, or Thomas, at least one will likely be available come July 1st.
Khabibulin...old and splitting time with Huet, if he cant beat him out, how good is he?
Backstrom...best option yet.
Thomas...old as ****, that solves what, 2 years of tending issues...IF we can get him and IF hes available, too many if's?

Quote:
5. Look to Europe. There are a few goalies that have come from Europe and impressed in the NHL. Maybe the Flyers can get lucky with one (Jonas Gustavsson looks like the best bet right now).
Taking a shot in the dark isnt exactly the best strategy.

Quote:
6. Draft one (if that counts as an option).
How has that worked out in the past?

Quote:
None of the options are really sure bets, but the chances would be a lot better if Homer actually tried to do something
Just because we arent moving goalies left and right doesnt mean hes not trying. Theres so much going on behind the scenes that we have no clue about, if homer could get a legit #1 for next year or even this year he would pull the trigger but a lot of your proposals are big IF's and we've taken a lot of what if type approaches in the past that havent worked out.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
^Amen! Gospel. People have anointed Biron based on that run: it is not wise to do such a thing. Nitty has earned some trust. Give him 4-5 games and some trust.
Biron: 410 GP .910 SVPCT

Nitty: 152 GP .902 SVPCT

Biron has been a better goaltender in this league, it isn't just the playoff run. Biron has also proven to be streaky throughout his career. His numbers last year were based almost entirely on him playing out of his mind for the first month of the season...and then he got hot again in the playoffs. He hasn't had that run yet this year, but he's done it in Buffalo, he's done it here...I wouldn't be shocked to see him get back into one of those grooves.

Nitty, on the other hand, has always played well in a lesser/secondary role and then struggled when you give him the big role.

However, arguing that the only reason to believe Biron is better than Nitty is the playoff run is ignoring the fact that the man had a career prior to coming here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Niitty was a pretty big prospect, same with boucher, oulette and pelletier...any legit #1 goalies there?
Nitty was a 6th rd. pick, the others were 1st/2nd rd. picks.

Of course, what level prospect you were is pretty meaningless once you reach the NHL level...trading for a goalie prospect means we'd have another potential quality player, so I'm not sure why previous struggles at getting consistent goaltending should lead to a cessation of efforts on that front.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Biron has been a better goaltender in this league, it isn't just the playoff run. Biron has also proven to be streaky throughout his career. His numbers last year were based almost entirely on him playing out of his mind for the first month of the season...and then he got hot again in the playoffs. He hasn't had that run yet this year, but he's done it in Buffalo, he's done it here...I wouldn't be shocked to see him get back into one of those grooves.

Nitty, on the other hand, has always played well in a lesser/secondary role and then struggled when you give him the big role.

However, arguing that the only reason to believe Biron is better than Nitty is the playoff run is ignoring the fact that the man had a career prior to coming here.
Put Biron in the year we sucked hard core, and he will be just as bad. Nitty had a big role ONCE, the year we were bad. It is totally unfair to base assumptions off of a year that all the players played bad. Nitty wont ever have a career if people continue to base him off of the one bad year, which many people tend to do. Great, he is a backup goalie on a good team, just like Marty Biron was before he came here. No matter how you look at it, Biron was a backup before he came here. Goalies can change. They wont always be the same way they were before. Basing Nitty of off two years ago is highly unfair. Its like basing Biron off of the years he only played 10 games.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Opus

Quote:

Career wise (NHL) there is no denying who the better more proven goalie is. I think what helps Niitty, is his collective trophy case at other levels of hockey. Still though, as you say...he's never been able to roll with the pressure and responsiblity...yet. For what it's worth, Biron has been struggling big time this year and I'm less than impressed with how he's responded after a nice playoff run.

Where I think the potential controversy lies, is...

- Is Biron worth 'X' amount of dollars more than Niitty?
- With our cap crisis, are we better keeping the younger cheaper Niitty and trading for (as discussed 1,000 times) a prospect.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
BigBanger

I can never tell if people are mocking me when I am wearing my Niitty jersey at a game.

Oh their Mocking....

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Nitty was a 6th rd. pick, the others were 1st/2nd rd. picks.

Of course, what level prospect you were is pretty meaningless once you reach the NHL level...trading for a goalie prospect means we'd have another potential quality player, so I'm not sure why previous struggles at getting consistent goaltending should lead to a cessation of efforts on that front.
The point is, they were all thought to be good prospects and goalies that could turn out to be very good NHL goalies so going out and signing a prospect doesnt solve out goaltending trouble. Just because someone is a highly thought of prospect doesnt mean they will turn out the way everyone thinks...kind of like the guys I listed. I wasnt implying that because we have had goalie prospects go south in the past that it will happen again, i was implying that just because they have high hopes doesnt mean they will solve out problems.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Put Biron in the year we sucked hard core, and he will be just as bad. Nitty had a big role ONCE, the year we were bad. It is totally unfair to base assumptions off of a year that all the players played bad. Nitty wont ever have a career if people continue to base him off of the one bad year, which many people tend to do. Great, he is a backup goalie on a good team, just like Marty Biron was before he came here. No matter how you look at it, Biron was a backup before he came here. Goalies can change. They wont always be the same way they were before. Basing Nitty of off two years ago is highly unfair. Its like basing Biron off of the years he only played 10 games.
The first year out of the lockout the Flyers all but gave Nitty the starting job in the spring and he **** the bed, so they went with Esche. It wasn't just one year.

And, no, Biron wouldn't have been just as bad as Nitty was that year. Nitty was absolutely and utterly atrocious...thus why the only move we made that season for a veteran was trading for Biron. In big roles he had put up .895 (on a playoff team) and .894 SVPCT. If you think his poor play the bad season was the product of the team, then why was his SVPCT exactly the same as that of the year before?

Biron played 16 games for that same team and put up a .908. That's an immense leap in a sample group that is pretty much .895-.930.

Biron had also played 72 games, and two 50 game seasons prior to coming here. Ryan Miller won the job in Buffalo...Ryan Miller would win the job with most teams in the league. That doesn't mean Biron isn't a starter in this league.

EDIT: And not to sound like Biron is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you can go back to prior to the season when I was explicitly arguing that it was more likely that Biron would regress from last season.