HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron vs Niittymaki

Old
02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
In fairness, Biron let a pretty cheese goal in the other day as well. All goalies let them in, it happens. At least with Niitty, he can say he wasn't paying attention (not cool btw), but Biron was focused on the shooter...what's his excuse/reason?
The day you find a goalie that doesn't let in some cheese goals...lemme know. Check out Brodeur in the last playoffs, btw.

I'm not making excuses for either. Actually, I'm specifically making arguments against making excuses for either. Nitty wasn't bad a couple years ago, IMO, because of everyone else on the team or him being hurt...he just sucked. Just like he wasn't very good the year before...Just like he struggled last year after playing very well when he first started to get a load of starts.

My argument is that Nitty is that to this point Nitty has done nothing to earn any belief that he's anything more than a decent backup. Biron has proven that he's an average starting goalie in this league based on numbers and in his stints as a starter both here and in Buffalo.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The day you find a goalie that doesn't let in some cheese goals...lemme know. Check out Brodeur in the last playoffs, btw.

I'm not making excuses for either. Actually, I'm specifically making arguments against making excuses for either. Nitty wasn't bad a couple years ago, IMO, because of everyone else on the team or him being hurt...he just sucked. Just like he wasn't very good the year before...Just like he struggled last year after playing very well when he first started to get a load of starts.

My argument is that Nitty is that to this point Nitty has done nothing to earn any belief that he's anything more than a decent backup. Biron has proven that he's an average starting goalie in this league based on numbers and in his stints as a starter both here and in Buffalo.
Yeah well, as we both know, they simply don't exist.

Suffice to say, the thing that allows 'us' (I use the term loosely) to believe that Niitty just might be willing and able, is his past achievements...even thought they aren't at the NHL level. He has proven he can win big games with pressure at it's highest level.

- Jarmo Wasama Memorial Trophy, 2000.
- Played in AHL All-Star Game, 2005.
- Calder Cup Champion - Philadelphia Phantoms, 2005.
- Jack A. Butterfield Trophy, 2005.
- Olympic MVP, 2006.

I know he's yet to translate this at this level, but it appears to be in his blood. One thing is certain, we'll never know if we don't give him the chance.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
EasyMac

I think the rest of the season (or at least until about 5 or so games before the season ends) will be basically an audition for the playoffs for both Biron and Nittymaki. Whoever outplays the other I could see them handing the reigns too.

If it is Nitty and he does well in the playoffs, then he likely will be retained (which does have its benefits as he shouldn't be too expensive)

If it is Biron and he does well in the playoffs, I see them letting Nitty walk and re-signing Biron. If he doesn't do well in the playoffs I could see them re-signing both for short-term contracts (if Nitty doesn't cost too much) and giving each one more chance to prove themselves.

And the worse-case scenario, Nitty plays well down the stretch, craps the bed in the playoffs, and we can't re-sign a disgruntled Biron and don't want to re-sign Nitty.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Yeah well, as we both know, they simply don't exist.

Suffice to say, the thing that allows 'us' (I use the term loosely) to believe that Niitty just might be willing and able, is his past achievements...even thought they aren't at the NHL level. He has proven he can win big games with pressure at it's highest level.

- Jarmo Wasama Memorial Trophy, 2000.
- Played in AHL All-Star Game, 2005.
- Calder Cup Champion - Philadelphia Phantoms, 2005.
- Jack A. Butterfield Trophy, 2005.
- Olympic MVP, 2006.

I know he's yet to translate this at this level, but it appears to be in his blood. One thing is certain, we'll never know if we don't give him the chance.
Give the guy a ******* chance.
Yeah I am a proponent of bringing in big time goalie help..
But! I have been calling Niittys number all the time in my circle of friends. He had a ****** year starting in 06-07. I still believed he was the better goalie than Biron.
Niitty > Biron

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, which is why I would have no problem moving JVR for a huge piece of the puzzle. Not saying that the puzzle piece is going to be a goalie, more that the time to win is now. Not 5-7 years from now.

I'm not sure how I would feel about Niitty being the #1 guy with no legitimate guy on the bench, especially with his hip issues. I also don't know how I would feel about signing Biron to a contract extension right now...unless he takes a pay cut.
The team can't be quick to move young talent: we've learned through Williams and Sharp that this is not the best way. We should move developed assets to better position ourselves (Jones, Lupul, and maybe Upshall, who has not lived up to his 1rd, 6th pick billing just yet).

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
The team can't be quick to move young talent: we've learned through Williams and Sharp that this is not the best way. We should move developed assets to better position ourselves (Jones, Lupul, and maybe Upshall, who has not lived up to his 1rd, 6th pick billing just yet).
If Rico and co. don't get hurt, moving Williams probably nets us a Stanley Cup.

Patrick Sharp asked out, and the team acquiesced.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
If Rico and co. don't get hurt, moving Williams probably nets us a Stanley Cup.

Patrick Sharp asked out, and the team acquiesced.
I am not certain of these assessments/accounts, but I am aware of Clarke's public statement regarding "mortgaging the future," which was an admission of sorts, really.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
I am not certain of these assessments/accounts, but I am aware of Clarke's public statement regarding "mortgaging the future," which was an admission of sorts, really.
We lost in Game 7 of the ECF, and Markov was a beast for that team that season. We had no defense left by the end.

And Sharp most definitely asked out of Philly because Hitch wasn't playing him much. Worked out well for him.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
We lost in Game 7 of the ECF, and Markov was a beast for that team that season. We had no defense left by the end.

And Sharp most definitely asked out of Philly because Hitch wasn't playing him much. Worked out well for him.
Loved Markov, but we mortgaged there. And, Holmgren mentioned Sharp's perceived development issues because he stayed in college, which means that it was probably a mix of issues that led to Sharp leaving. They weren't patient enough.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Loved Markov, but we mortgaged there. And, Holmgren mentioned Sharp's perceived development issues because he stayed in college, which means that it was probably a mix of issues that led to Sharp leaving. They weren't patient enough.
I'm pretty sure it was out there in the public domain that Sharp specifically asked Clarke to trade him at the time of the deal.

And, yes, when you trade youth for veteran players you're gambling a bit. That bet almost paid.

We're also not lacking for forwards at the moment, so I'm not really crying in my beer over Williams not being here.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Mike Richards 18

i always wonder what Gagne and Williams would have looked liked the last five years on the same line.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Cechmanek's headcase stats:

00-01 Season
35-15-6 2.01 GAA .921 SA% 10SO
02-03 Season
33-15-10, 1.85 GAA .925 SA% 6SO
Ill gamble on a guy like Emery any day of the week.
Cechmanek was also playing under Hitchcock and he can make any goalie look good with his system. See Robert Esche.
I think opus said it best with our goalie situation about playing Nitty more isnt going to help Biron get his groove back. But alos right now Biron's confidence is at a alltime low and I dont trust Niittymaki over a long stretch.
I wouldnt say we are ****ed, because last season Biron went thru a stretch like this and turned it around late in the season. I say we are going to have to play him and hope he gets his **** together.

We have 3 games in 4 days later this week, its gonna be interesting to see how things are juggled this weekend.
Its amazing people are still complaining over that Williams for Markov deal.
Werent we looking at playing John Slaney on the Flyers blueline that year with all the injuries?
yikes.
Anyone remember how well Markov played for us?
Cant complain over the Sharp deal. Anyone who saw him becoming a 30-40 goal scorer needs to by a lottery ticket.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 02-10-2009 at 01:28 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Chuck Downie
(New Coach Sucks)

vCash: 460
Holmgren :

"We turn the game of hockey into an individual sport. It's not. I think Nitty is definitely going to get more time in the net. If he continues to play well, then he'll continue to get time in the net."

With Marty Biron ($3.5 million) and Niittymaki ($1.225 million) scheduled to become free agents this summer, there is very little chance both will be back next season.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...902100348/1017

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Cechmanek was also playing under Hitchcock and he can make any goalie look good with his system. See Robert Esche.
You just solved the problem, we need to bring back Hitch.

Quote:
I think opus said it best with our goalie situation about playing Nitty more isnt going to help Biron get his groove back. But alos right now Biron's confidence is at a alltime low and I dont trust Niittymaki over a long stretch.
I wouldnt say we are ****ed, because last season Biron went thru a stretch like this and turned it around late in the season. I say we are going to have to play him and hope he gets his **** together.

We have 3 games in 4 days later this week, its gonna be interesting to see how things are juggled this weekend.
This is precisely the problem...and it's a double edged sword. I don't think Biron is going to better riding the pine. I'm all for running with the hot hand, but at the end of the day, if you want to win...you need your best players to be your best players. This includes getting Biron back (hopefully) where he finished things off last season.

At the same time, if he (Biron) is struggling and you're losing key ground in the standings coming thru the stretch drive...that's a problem. We'll most likely see Niitty in 3 of the next 4 games. I guess the results will dictate what happens from there.

Quote:
Its amazing people are still complaining over that Williams for Markov deal.
Werent we looking at playing John Slaney on the Flyers blueline that year with all the injuries?
yikes.
Anyone remember how well Markov played for us?
Cant complain over the Sharp deal. Anyone who saw him becoming a 30-40 goal scorer needs to by a lottery ticket.
Hindsight is 20/20, these deals were ones that needed to be made.

Markov was a horse for us, the deal needed to be made...and at the time, it was a good one.

Old
02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
BigBanger

ones is a steaming pile of poo and the other is just a Turd...

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:55 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
You just solved the problem, we need to bring back Hitch.
Talk about giving up on someone. Hitch should still be the head coach of the Flyers.

Old
02-13-2009, 06:55 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
ones is a steaming pile of poo and the other is just a Turd...
Yet another A+ contribution to a conversation from this guy..

Old
02-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Talk about giving up on someone. Hitch should still be the head coach of the Flyers.
I guess my refusal to use to use emotes, you didn't sense my sarcasm.

I can't stand Hitch, glad he's gone.

Old
02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
BigBanger

Quote:
Yet another A+ contribution to a conversation from this guy..

truth hurts don't it.

Old
02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
BigBanger

Quote:
Now thats funny!

Old
02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Just play Niity and see how he does. He is only young yet, and Tim Thomas, arguably one of the better goalies in the game this season and last, didn't get much of a shot in Boston until the past few seasons. He is almost 35.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Teezax

So Ekulnd is now stating that we have have interest in acquiring Khabibulin.
I don't see how that happens from a financial standpoint.... but oh to dream

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:04 AM
ilovetheflyers8

I have a solution to everyone being unhappy w/ Biron and Nitty, put me in goal for our next game, and everyone will so relieved to have either of them in net after the 30-5 loss.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Little article (was from yesterday but still counts today)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
While goaltending is the only thing keeping the New York Rangers afloat in the Eastern Conference playoff race, it also may be what keeps the Philadelphia Flyers from reaching their full potential this season.
It is actually very true... and I hate NBC...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
The Khabibulin ship sailed. The Blackhawks are going to keep what they have because it's working. If they want Khabibulin they're going to have to wait until July.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote