HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

High Salaries the Leafs may be willing to take on from Playoff contenders?

Old
02-08-2009, 05:29 PM
sharpie

vCash: 500
High Salaries the Leafs may be willing to take on from Playoff contenders?

Fernandez - I know he is playing well right now but, if Bos wants to add another piece to the puzzle they may have to look at dumpng some slary at the dealine.

Barker - I originally thought Sopel, however he still has a couple years left on his contract. I could see the Leafs taking Barkers Salary off Chi's books and sending a center the other way.

Madden - Not a total salary dump. If NJ wants to add some more for the Playoffs they might have to move a guy like Madden, Gionta or Holik.

Knuble - With Philly up against the cap. I am guseeing he may be one of the guys headed out of town if a deal is made. TO could comfortably afford his salary and wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

Other possible names: Higgins, Marchant, Morrison, Lupul (his contract is a bit longer).

Any thoughts on this topic?

Last edited by sharpie: 02-08-2009 at 05:56 PM.
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
grabo84

This won't turn out well.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
LeafsGetTavares*

Why would the leafs wan't any salary dumps? So they can finish one spot higher in the draft (which is a bad thing) and be stuck with a salary dump?

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:37 PM
sharpie

They take a guy that makes a bunch of money from a team looking to make a Playoff run that has little to no cap sapce. In return for taking an underachieving overpaid player they also get some picks or prospects. I am not saying they are looking to trade for other teams salary dumps. This thread is about guys that other teams will want to get rid of. Guys that TO will take on for the remainder of the season because they can afford them, whereas their current team wants them off their books so they can gear up for the Playoffs.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Did you just say Cam Barker is a salary dump?

hahahah Manny Fernandez too. This guys a comic.

Oh there's KNuble to.... Sweet jesus...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
Fernandez - I know he is playing well right now but, if Bos wants to add another piece to the puzzle they may have to look at dumpng some slary at the dealine.

Barker - I originally thought Sopel, however he still has a couple years left on his contract. I could see the Leafs taking Barkers Salary off Chi's books and sending a center the other way.

Madden - Not a total salary dump. If NJ wants to add some more for the Playoffs they might have to move a guy like Madden, Gionta or Holik.

Knuble - With Philly up against the cap. I am guseeing he may be one of the guys headed out of town if a deal is made. TO could comfortably afford his salary and wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

Other possible names: Higgins, Marchant, Morrison, Lupul (his contract is a bit longer).

Well Fernandez is playing well for the Bruins so they wont move him unless they can get a solid backup in return otherwise why take the risk?

Barker is not in any way shape or form a Salary dump, look at his stats for one thing... Also do you notice how Hawks fans have stopped bringing him up in trade proposals like they were in the summer, that alone should give you some idea of how hes playing.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
sharpie

Ok. I know Barker is a good player and all but with him making 2.8 mill and Chicago having less then 100,000 in cap space. How in the world do you expect them to make any deals? On top of this he is a RFA next year. I am not saying any of the PLayers that I mentioned are bad. All I am looking at is 1) Cap Space 2) Contract status 3) Will the team be able to afford him next year.

The same can be said for Knuble. The Flyers are HARD against the cap. Knuble makes 2.8 and is a UFA next year.

Fernandez is the same. I honestly think Boston will keep him however he is a UFA next year making 4.3 and they don't have much room under the cap either. Are they going to resign him next year? Who knows?

All of these players are simply suggestions of guys that teams might be willing to part with in order to add for the post season.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Ok. I know Barker is a good player and all but with him making 2.8 mill and Chicago having less then 100,000 in cap space. How in the world do you expect them to make any deals? On top of this he is a RFA next year. I am not saying any of the PLayers that I mentioned are bad. All I am looking at is 1) Cap Space 2) Contract status 3) Will the team be able to afford him next year.

The same can be said for Knuble. The Flyers are HARD against the cap. Knuble makes 2.8 and is a UFA next year.

Fernandez is the same. I honestly think Boston will keep him however he is a UFA next year making 4.3 and they don't have much room under the cap either. Are they going to resign him next year? Who knows?

All of these players are simply suggestions of guys that teams might be willing to part with in order to add for the post season.
Okay, but Salary dump isn't really the right word for these guys. Barker is a valuable young player, and both of the other guys could be traded for reasonable value.

A salary dump is a player who isn't useful to his team.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:59 PM
sharpie

Valid point. I changed the thread name. I did't mean to cause an uproar about this issue. I was just listening to Burkes interview and he mentioned that he may be willing to take on some players who have (unfovorable contracts) in order to get some of the things he wants. So i figured I would look at some playoff teams and see some of the guys he may be thnking about. Sorry if I offended anyone, just figured I would spark some debate.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:09 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Valid point. I changed the thread name. I did't mean to cause an uproar about this issue. I was just listening to Burkes interview and he mentioned that he may be willing to take on some players who have (unfovorable contracts) in order to get some of the things he wants. So i figured I would look at some playoff teams and see some of the guys he may be thnking about. Sorry if I offended anyone, just figured I would spark some debate.
Good, that should calm people down a bit.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Mike Richards 18

Briere Biron Jones for Antropov Toskala and Schenn

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
for the win...

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
sharpie

Somehow this turned into a trade proposal thread.
No to the deal. Briere -small/overpaid/not Bukre type guy-Jones -every Philly fan just includes him in every trade so I just say no (even though I think he is nice player). Biron - he is a downgrade as far as I am concerened look how bad he is on a good team. I can't even imagine him on bad team that is rebuilding. Plus Schenn is here for good.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Higgins salary doesn't need any sheding.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

If Barker is salary dump I want in.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Alex28*

Probably Sopel from Chicago or Eaton/Boucher/Satan from Pittsburgh, with a 4th included in there is what Burke would be looking at. If he wants serious return he'd have to take multi year contracts and give back moderate quality players. Then he'd get high picks/prospects.

The biggest Albatross he could take on would be Redden, but that would mess up his rebuild so no. Right now their only player looking at a real raise and stay with the franchise is Schenn, and he'll be paid starting 2011-2012. Assuming he does well in this draft his next franchise players would be paid later than that. So if he wants high return without burning the franchise he could shelter contracts that end the summer of 2011, from teams that will have to resign someone by then. Realistically, such guys include Nylander, Vrbata, Handzus (though he's picking up), possibly Jovanovski if Phoenix wants to get rid of his salary, but he actually warrants a good return. If Rangers are really reeling from their moronic signings and no one touches Drury he could be a steal for Burke.

Last edited by Alex28*: 02-08-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
rebel diamond

The premise of the thread makes sense, but the only guy you listed that I would count as a salary dump (ie. negative value) could be Morisson.

Also, what's with all the Cam Barker hate (not just the OP, but the trade board in general)? Just the other day someone was saying it would take Barker and a second to get Neil from Ottawa.

And no, Biron is not a downgrade on Toskala.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Schenn is the throw in eh?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
This could happen but none of the guys you mentioned are salary dumps. They all can contribute significantly to a team one way or another.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Burke simply has told GM's around the league that if they are looking to dump some upcoming UFA's with bad contracts then to give him a draft pick and he will take them on.. Basically the premise is too get a crap load of overpaid player and put them on the same team for picks etc...Jason Blake potted his 19th goal of the season last night doesn't look like he's a salary dump anymore lol

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:55 AM
2fortheshow

Since this quote was directly from a Teams GM, not simply rumour, I find this very interesteing.
Think of your favorite team, and list who you would like to see offered to the TML's as a playoff salary dump??? Burke put it out there, so you know other GM's are asking themselves this very question.

2fortheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Higgins...lolwut? How's that a high salary?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:

Is this poster actually serious?
Morrison would be the only dump but has played better of late.
I would like to thank you for my first Monday morning Chuckle.I needed that

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
voxel

Sean Avery
Kyle Calder
Rick DiPietro

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:19 AM