Trading down from number two.

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Trading down from number two.

Assuming the Islanders end up with the number one pick and take Tavares would Atlanta consider trading down to third or fourth in order to find a legit number one center rather than another defenseman? Ie, swapping with Tampa so both teams get what they need.

Hedman is a nice player but Duchene or Kane might prove more beneficial for the Thrashers.

If you were the GM would you take Hedman or pick up extra pick/prospects and take either of the above?

Old
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

No chance of trading down.

Hedman is a stud and Atlanta will take him if they can't trade up to get Tavares at no. 1 (assuming Islanders win the lottery).

Old
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Ummm...no.

Hedman is still head and shoulders above all of those guys, and Atlanta seems to do very well with Swedish defensemen (Enstrom, from the same organization as Hedman, and Havelid).

Old
02-08-2009, 10:20 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
yeah i have to say no way would we trade down from #2. we're takin the best player we can get.

Old
02-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I thought Atlanta was fairly happy with the defense they're building. I mean yeah they're young and need a few seasons to grow but I would have thought Atlanta's biggest need was a legit centerman to play with Kovy. Especially if in so doing they pick up an extra 1st rounder or another good prospect or two.

Let's say to Atlanta: Ottawa's 1st, San Jose's first, and Erik Karlsson for Atlanta's first, 2nd over all.

Right now that would be the 5th over all, the 29th overall and a really good young Sweedish defenseman in Karlsson. Atlanta then selects Evander Kane fifth over all.

Y'all would turn that down?

Old
02-08-2009, 10:38 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I thought Atlanta was fairly happy with the defense they're building. I mean yeah they're young and need a few seasons to grow but I would have thought Atlanta's biggest need was a legit centerman to play with Kovy. Especially if in so doing they pick up an extra 1st rounder or another good prospect or two.

Let's say to Atlanta: Ottawa's 1st, San Jose's first, and Erik Karlsson for Atlanta's first, 2nd over all.

Right now that would be the 5th over all, the 29th overall and a really good young Sweedish defenseman in Karlsson. Atlanta then selects Evander Kane fifth over all.

Most likely, yeah, even though that's a pretty good draft day deal. While ATL's defense is certainly looking better than it has, that is no reason to pass up a guy like Hedman. A pairing of Bogosian-Hedman could/would dominate to piss out of the league for years.

ATL could possibly trade down if they fall outside of the top 2, but I don't see them (or anyone, honestly) passing on either Tavares or Hedman.

Old
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
fatschoonerrat

Really. A good defense is really hard to build, and it would be a reward for these last couple/few years of agony (assuming the owners don't run the team out of town again). Once the owners get out of court, I'd say the prospect of a crazy good defense for years to come would draw the right free agent signings this way at forward, especially if Kovy is still around.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:02 AM
teme

One reason to consider it though, defenseman take time to develop, and while they develop they make rookie mistakes. As do forwards, but when they make mistakes they lead to goals less often. Because of this, ideally you wouldn't have more than one or two kids at defense at a time. I am not sure having Bogosian, Hedeman, Valabik and even Enström in the lineup at the same time is a good idea. Give it five years and they would look great, but still.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
fatschoonerrat

Bogosian is looking better and better every game. Enstrom isn't young at all (he's, what?, 25 or 26). I'm not sure it's an issue.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

There's no pressure to succeed right now, and if for whatever ungodly reason Atlanta decides they don't need him, Hedman's return in 2 or 3 years would probably blow that out of the water.

Old
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
The Maltais Falcon

No to a trade. "Number Two" suits the Thrashers perfectly.

Closed Thread