HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Will Mike Green win the Norris?

View Poll Results: Will Mike Green win the Norris?
Yes 48 30.38%
No 110 69.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Speaking of +/-....Schultz is a quiet +17

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Still love that guy. Gets shafted by many Caps fans. He struggled after coming back from injury. Barring that, I really like his game, and he's finding it again.

Schultz' wheels and positional game are underrated, in my opinion.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Still love that guy. Gets shafted by many Caps fans, in my opinion. He struggled after coming back from injury. Barring that, I really like his game, and he's finding it again.

Schultz' wheels and positional game are underrated, in my opinion.
Oh...he's slow. But for the most part effective.

He's like a slightly faster, younger, less mean Hal Gill with a better stick...or something.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 04:39 AM
jcbio11

Probably not. If he keeps up the unreal goal pace, he should be one of the finalists though. This has got to be Chara's year. Chara has never been a huge point producer, but what he brings defensively and as a captain of Bruins and leader of their defensive corps is off the charts. That said, I do believe Mike Green's time to shine will come later in his career and he will win the Norris.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:25 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I am still wondering how Ovi and Green were cherry picking at the TB blue, and how they didn't finish that two on none. TB's defense was horrible.

Chara had a goal in a road loss last night.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Exactly. Positioning is $$$....love to see more speed and a mean streak ever once and a while.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:32 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Asked if he deserved some of the credit for helping Green reach the milestone, Boudreau cracked, "Nah, he could have had Mickey Mouse as his coach and he was eventually he was going to be a great hockey player."
I tend to agree.

Old
02-15-2009, 08:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Bruce says the numbers don't lie. While we beat the guy down almost nightly, Bruce just keeps on truckin' with the guy. He is 9th among D and 24th in the NHL with that +17.

It won't happen, but its time we start cutting the kid some slack. Green is 23 and +27. Schultz is 22 and +17.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I tend to agree.
I disagree to this extent. He was failing under Hanlon. There are players that get fewer chances than he got. Its likely that he would have broken thru at some point and to some extent without Boudreau. But to blow up like he is, when he is, is all Boudreau.

I doubt there are two other coaches in the NHL right now that would let Green play remotely like he plays for Boudreau. I don't know who they are. You tell me.

Julien??? Hell no. Terry Murray? no. John Stevens? NO. Tom Renney....WTF NO

Old
02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

MG was the classic offensive defensemen early on, signs of great offensive talent, shoddy defensive work. It had nothing to do with Hanlon, just being a young defenseman progressing through a predictable sophmore slump. The thing that Bruce gave him that no one else could, was that Hershey confidence, which just so happened because he was his AHL coach. Nothing against Bruce of course. What makes Bruce great in coaching him is not bashing him when his offensive forays fail, and working him on the PP extensively.... i swear Green is about our only PP defenseman. Maybe all Bruce did was have confidence in him.

Old
02-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Xaroc

Quote:
MG was the classic offensive defensemen early on, signs of great offensive talent, shoddy defensive work. It had nothing to do with Hanlon, just being a young defenseman progressing through a predictable sophmore slump. The thing that Bruce gave him that no one else could, was that Hershey confidence, which just so happened because he was his AHL coach. Nothing against Bruce of course. What makes Bruce great in coaching him is not bashing him when his offensive forays fail, and working him on the PP extensively.... i swear Green is about our only PP defenseman. Maybe all Bruce did was have confidence in him.
It had everything to do with Hanlon. Starting sometime in the year before he was fired Halnon was having them lay back in a more passive trap. Boudreau uses a more aggressive scheme and gives his defensemen a lot more leash to jump into the play.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:15 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
It had everything to do with Hanlon. Starting sometime in the year before he was fired Halnon was having them lay back in a more passive trap. Boudreau uses a more aggressive scheme and gives his defensemen a lot more leash to jump into the play.
I am sure you have noticed that Green jumping up into the play has been tempered as late. IIRC, Hanlon gave Green the green light to jump into the play whenever he wanted to do it. Green rarely to never did it. Am I remembering that incorrectly? It wouldnt be the first time, but the board would have been up in arms about that very point. I remember waiting and waiting to see him jump into the play, and I never blamed Hanlon.

What Bruce did was let him learn on his own. He just gave him time. Sure Bruce has all his dmen move up, but that is not what makes Mike Green great.

Old
02-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Foy

Quote:

He's like a slightly faster, younger, less mean Hal Gill with a better stick...or something.
Schultz has what I call Robert Lang speed. He really doesn't look like he's moving, but he ends up getting there, and you're not really sure how he got there as slow as he was moving.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

I won't dispute that Bruce has been great for Green's career. And every other caps career outside of a few. But Bruce is just letting the guys play hockey. Mike Green was great when he was drafted long before he knew Bruce. We all know it takes defensemen years to mature, and Hanlon as it turned out had Green as a noob on a pathetic team. Bruce's system does allow for freedom for defensemen, but oddly the whispers of the norris have started now that green has tempered his jumping into the play, the thing many credit Bruce for letting him do.

You cant teach the sick skating and offensive skills he has. That is what makes him great.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
I am sure you have noticed that Green jumping up into the play has been tempered as late. IIRC, Hanlon gave Green the green light to jump into the play whenever he wanted to do it. Green rarely to never did it. Am I remembering that incorrectly? It wouldnt be the first time, but the board would have been up in arms about that very point. I remember waiting and waiting to see him jump into the play, and I never blamed Hanlon.

What Bruce did was let him learn on his own. He just gave him time. Sure Bruce has all his dmen move up, but that is not what makes Mike Green great.
I think most here know I am not a Hanlon basher. But I think what you are failing to see is that Hanlon had the team in a defense first system where the defense did not activate as a rule. So, Green did not have the Green light.

The kind of hockey the Caps played under Hanlon is close to the kind of hockey the Bruins played last season under Julien and revert to in big games this season. Trying to win 2-1 by minimizing the exposure of the young players. Hanlon wanted a simple game that didn't require his young players to make decisions that they would often make the wrong choice. What the Capitals play under Boudreau is far from simple.

Again, if Green were playing for Ken Hitchcock, he would not be showing his stuff.
To dismiss that is to dismiss the reality. The reality is Boudreau is different. Its not a slam of Hanlon anymore than it would be a slam on Sutter or Julien or Tippett.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Xaroc

Quote:

Bruce certainly showed a lot more confidence in Green than Hanlon but his system is also a lot more conducive to defensemen getting involved in the play. Hanlon never gave Green the green light like Boudreau does. Obviously it is not just the system but it has let Green reach his potential much sooner.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I am still wondering how Ovi and Green were cherry picking at the TB blue, and how they didn't finish that two on none. TB's defense was horrible.

Chara had a goal in a road loss last night.
Green came out the penalty box I think.

If Green keeps this pace up he'll have a decent chance at winning the Norris.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:52 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Where Green is really showing his stuff is on the PP. Even strength, Green is not jumping into the rush as much as he did a year ago. The whispers of Norris resurfaced. But ES goals are down PP goals up.

Any head coach that wouldnt use Green on the PP as much as possible is an idiot. Where Bruce has punked out other potential coaches, is that he has made our PP very dynamic, Green Ovi et al are roving and roaming along the blue across the top down to the goal line or deep slot, and back again.

Hanlon IIRC did encourage Green to jump up into the play ES. Does anyone else remember that? I remember Green as somewhat gun shy his first two years. But, Hanlon did not use Green much on the PP, and when he did, seemed to relegate him to right point. That i blame Hanlon for not developing the PP part of his game..

About our Hanlon system, yes i will agree it stiffles offense team wide. Green was but a pawn in that scheme. But maybe it helped him learn discipline which we are starting to see now. FWR, he never pinched under Hanlon. Then under Bruce, he was go go go. Now ES we are seeing a hybrid game, a little hanlon a little bruce.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-15-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old
02-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
I tend to agree.
Mickey Mouse >than Henlon...although he did pretty good job with Belorussian national team few years back.

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 04:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
Hanlon IIRC did encourage Green to jump up into the play ES. Does anyone else remember that? I remember Green as somewhat gun shy his first two years. But, Hanlon did not use Green much on the PP, and when he did, seemed to relegate him to right point. That i blame Hanlon for not developing the PP part of his game..

About our Hanlon system, yes i will agree it stiffles offense team wide. Green was but a pawn in that scheme. But maybe it helped him learn discipline which we are starting to see now. FWR, he never pinched under Hanlon. Then under Bruce, he was go go go. Now ES we are seeing a hybrid game, a little hanlon a little bruce.
I recall reading Green talking about being afraid to make a mistake under Hanlon. That if he made a bad decision he would get benched. That is what happened. Boudreau told him to do what he did in Hershey.

Hanlon did not use Green on the power play. He was certainly not a primary pp player. Boudreau put Green on the 1st PP unit on day one. Big differences.

Old
02-15-2009, 07:36 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I recall reading Green talking about being afraid to make a mistake under Hanlon. That if he made a bad decision he would get benched. That is what happened. Boudreau told him to do what he did in Hershey.

Hanlon did not use Green on the power play. He was certainly not a primary pp player. Boudreau put Green on the 1st PP unit on day one. Big differences.
Green repeatedly got benched under hanlon for the smallest defensive mistakes and never got to rush the puck.

Hanlon certainly limited green's talent by not allowing him to use any of his skill and instead forced him to play hanlon's defense only system.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Schultz is currently 20th in all-time +/- among Caps players, eighth among defensemen.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Your Mike Green Stat of the Day: Greener has played 105:25 of short handed time this season and been on the ice for 3 power play goals against. Swish that around for a few seconds.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
GangGreen52

Send a message via AIM to GangGreen52 Send a message via MSN to GangGreen52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Your Mike Green Stat of the Day: Greener has played 105:25 of short handed time this season and been on the ice for 3 power play goals against. Swish that around for a few seconds.
Damn, not bad at all!

As for the OP.. Yes, I hope he does.

GangGreen52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Bananas

Hmmm.

Well, he just hit 30 goals. That was a number quite a few thought it would take.

Any changes of heart?

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote