HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

HF boards Top 100 all time--- #3

View Poll Results: Whose #3?
Gordie Howe 48 29.45%
Mario Lemieux 102 62.58%
Maurice Richard 4 2.45%
Bobby Hull 3 1.84%
Stan Mikita 0 0%
Eddie Shore 0 0%
Steve Yzerman 2 1.23%
Mark Messier 3 1.84%
Jean Beliveau 0 0%
Doug Harvey 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2009, 04:15 PM
  #26
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Mario.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
  #27
tony d
ATD 2015
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,666
vCash: 500
Gordie Howe.

Add Phil Esposito and Guy Lafluer.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
  #28
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Howe accomplished about ten times more than Lemieux in his career, in a much lower scoring era. Unless this is a "could have been" poll, Howe is head and shoulders above Mario.
I figured it was more of an "in their primes"-type deal...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:44 PM
  #29
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I figured it was more of an "in their primes"-type deal...
As Thornton_19 posted (with links), Howe was better in his prime (or at worst, just as good as Lemiuex), as well as having the much better career.

It's strange that Lemiuex is beating Howe so badly, in all honesty. I'd be curious to read some reasons why Lemiuex is clearly better in so many minds.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
  #30
Dark Shadows
Registered User
 
Dark Shadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Japan
Posts: 7,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy P Martini View Post
no goalies on this list yet? add plante and sawchuk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
As Thornton_19 posted (with links), Howe was better in his prime (or at worst, just as good as Lemiuex), as well as having the much better career.

It's strange that Lemiuex is beating Howe so badly, in all honesty. I'd be curious to read some reasons why Lemiuex is clearly better in so many minds.
Its mostly because a good portion of this section have no clue that 95 points in 1953 was equal to 175 points in 1989. People just see a high number and think "Wow"

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
  #31
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
add Guy Lafleur and Luc Robataille

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
  #32
Dark Shadows
Registered User
 
Dark Shadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Japan
Posts: 7,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
add Guy Lafleur and Luc Robataille
Not this again

Luc Robitaille is arguably not even a top 120 player. He 100% is not a top 50 player.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
  #33
Zetterberg4Captain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Gordie Howe, add Lafleur.

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
  #34
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,907
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Lemieux, add Phil Esposito

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
  #35
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,676
vCash: 500
Are you really gonna create 100 polls?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
  #36
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,129
vCash: 500
Howe.

Add Lafleur, Morenz, Bourque

__________________

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
  #37
asdf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country:
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
As Thornton_19 posted (with links), Howe was better in his prime (or at worst, just as good as Lemiuex), as well as having the much better career.

It's strange that Lemiuex is beating Howe so badly, in all honesty. I'd be curious to read some reasons why Lemiuex is clearly better in so many minds.
It could be because more people here saw Lemieux play, or maybe they're factoring in his dominance on the ice more than his games missed due to injures. Yes I know "what ifs," "phantom points," "useless to the team when he's injured," etc. but maybe not as many people see it that way. Another factor, as already mentioned, is that Lemieux has the flashier numbers so that could be why (it happens with Gretzky as well).

In any case it's no more ridiculous than you saying that Howe accomplished ten times more and is head and shoulers above Lemieux. Why aren't you picking on Gretzky winning #1 by such a landslide like you are with Lemieux?

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:19 PM
  #38
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
It could be because more people here saw Lemieux play, or maybe they're factoring in his dominance on the ice more than his games missed due to injures. Yes I know "what ifs," "phantom points," "useless to the team when he's injured," etc. but maybe not as many people see it that way. Another factor, as already mentioned, is that Lemieux has the flashier numbers so that could be why (it happens with Gretzky as well).

In any case it's no more ridiculous than you saying that Howe accomplished ten times more and is head and shoulers above Lemieux. Why aren't you picking on Gretzky winning #1 by such a landslide like you are with Lemieux?
There is a big difference between Gretzky and Lemieux - I think Howe is a lot closer to Gretzky than he is to Lemieux.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
  #39
asdf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country:
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
There is a big difference between Gretzky and Lemieux - I think Howe is a lot closer to Gretzky than he is to Lemieux.
That's your opinion. I don't really agree but my point was that on the History of Hockey board Gretzky was barely ranked #1 over Orr (and I believe that's only because somebody left Orr out of the top 4) yet here he was easily ranked #1 by a mile.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
  #40
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I don't really agree but my point was that on the History of Hockey board Gretzky was barely ranked #1 over Orr (and I believe that's only because somebody left Orr out of the top 4) yet here he was easily ranked #1 by a mile.
Correct, one (out of 23) voters didn't have Bobby Orr in their top four.

For the record, you can find our voting results here and our discussions at the bottom of this post.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
  #41
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Correct, one (out of 23) voters didn't have Bobby Orr in their top four.

For the record, you can find our voting results here and our discussions at the bottom of this post.
Even without that voter, Gretzky would have still taken 1st placehaving more 2nd place votes than Orr. But yes, on the HOH list, just like the original THN list, the first three picks are quite close, with Mario more or less a consensus #4.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-09-2009 at 11:31 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.