Old
03-09-2004, 03:22 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Cowan to LA for Kip Brennan

The Brennan File
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...io.asp?ID=6803

He is a hoss for sure. Great size. Looks like we may have a new sheriff in town. Considering how well this team plays when they take the body and are agressive I like this move.

Cowan was a solid 3rd line grinder, but Larsen seems every bit the player that Cowan is. He should help out LA in their playoff run.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
You'll like Brennan, he can skate a regular shift. Rarely loses a fight and doesn't take too many dumb penatlies

Old
03-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
... doesn't take too many dumb penatlies
How refreshing.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
The Brennan File
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...io.asp?ID=6803

He is a hoss for sure. Great size. Looks like we may have a new sheriff in town. Considering how well this team plays when they take the body and are agressive I like this move.

Cowan was a solid 3rd line grinder, but Larsen seems every bit the player that Cowan is. He should help out LA in their playoff run.
I don't like this move at all. Larsen and Brennan are not every bit the player Cowan was because they have NO offensive abililty. I think Cowan is much more valuable to the thrashers because as well as grinding people in corners, playing good d and penalty killing he can at least chip in a few goals from the third and fourth line.

Is DW unhappy with Lessard's contribution or does he want two enforcers on this team?

Note:It is interesting to note that the NHLPA bio of Brennan says that he is a defenceman but I sure he plays left wing, can anyone clarify this?

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 03-09-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old
03-09-2004, 05:47 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think he is a D who was converted to F due to his pugilistic nature, similar to Lessard.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:50 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
I don't like this move at all. Larsen and Brennan are not every bit the player Cowan was because they have NO offensive abililty. I think Cowan is much more valuable to the thrashers because as well as grinding people in corners, playing good d and penalty killing he can at least chip in a few goals from the third and fourth line.
K, I was going to question what btn said. Cowan does have offensive talent, Larsen definitely doesn't have that. Makes me wonder how this roster will shake out over the summer.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Fat Elvis

Kip is a much better wing than dman imo, if he ever gets some ice time I'm sure you'll find things to like about him. Don't really understand the trade either, not sure what it addresses for either team? Anyway good luck and he does kick some butt.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Mondo

Hey all,

Kings fan here, just thought i'd let you know about what type of player you are getting with Brennan and then maybe you guys could tell me a bit more about Cowan.

As you probably already know, Brennan is an enforcer, that is his role and he doesn't have the offensive or defensive abiity to become a 3rd liner. But he is a very good fighter and knows how to come to the aid of his teamates. In the 40 or so games he played in LA he became quite popular with the fans and his fighting style is enjoyable to watch. His end-of-fight salute to the home crowd has become a kind of double uppercut, always gets the crowds going. Also, since his short time in the NHL he has learned how to make the smart play in terms of going after a guy and not costing his team (ie like not getting a single 5 min major). He is not a complete liability out on the ice but he is still learning the game, but he has been working on his skating and preparing himself more for the NHL.

Overall Kip is a guy that'll play on your fourth line on nights when you need an enforcer and he'll provide a physical presence and protect his teammates, he's a good fighter and he's only 23 so who knows how much more he'll develop.

Good luck Kip.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:35 PM
HughJass*

I read somewhere else that Waddell got hosed. Why trade Cowan for someone like Brennan? Why not position your waiver situation better days ago and keep yourself from having to waive Grand-Pierre? Waddell is a tool. Even moreso than Rutherford.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:56 PM
swinginutter*

Kings fan here, and i'm also a bit stumped on this deal. I don't think it addressed anything for both teams. I really enjoyed Kip's stay here in LA, but AM refuses to play heavyweights for whatever reason.
What you guys got is a top five enforcer in this league. If anyone thinks of running Ilya or Dany they're screwed. He is a joy to watch when the mitts come off, and he's not that much of liability as everyone claims. He's young still and just needs a bit more of confidence which he should get in Hotlanta.

Old
03-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Kings fan here, and i'm also a bit stumped on this deal. I don't think it addressed anything for both teams. I really enjoyed Kip's stay here in LA, but AM refuses to play heavyweights for whatever reason.
What you guys got is a top five enforcer in this league. If anyone thinks of running Ilya or Dany they're screwed. He is a joy to watch when the mitts come off, and he's not that much of liability as everyone claims. He's young still and just needs a bit more of confidence which he should get in Hotlanta.
feel kinda weird responding to this question...seems like kings fans are taking over this thread....but yeah...here's my take on brennan...i think u overrate kip a lot...i've always liked him...he seems like a guy who's tough and agile on the ice, but that hasnt been the case...he's slow...he's not a good checker...and seems like evertime he's on the ice the other team gets a scoring chance...he's only gotten better at fighting this year...before he would lose almost every fight except for macallister and sawyer....
i realy like kip, and i feel like he has the potential to become a dynamite enforcer, who's aggressive, can move aorund the ice throwing checks and bringing lots of energy...maybe thats why atl went for him...but right now he's just not showing it...by the way, may sound immature of me but he looks really cool out there...until u see him standing there while other teams skate circles aorund him

Old
03-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Well, as an Avs fan, I can say that Larsen does indeed have offensive ability, but he's hardly a replacement for Cowan. I'm kind of curious about this one, seeing as how Cowan has had a solid season so far.

Old
03-14-2004, 07:56 AM
dunwoody_joe

Here is my take on the Cowan deal. After the fight which led to Cowan's concussion he just wasn't the same. He was a bit slower, a little less aggressive and his productivity and ice time was down.

I wonder if DW decided to move Cowan out of fear that he would never be quite the same again. If he believes that, then moving Cowan now, while his value is still relatively high, makes sense. Time will tell whether Cowan can regain his pre-concussion form.

I saw Brennan last night for the first time. He was solid enough. Not great speed and hard hands (so I guess it's fair to say he's not the second coming of Ilya). But he was mixing it up, played a disciplined style and commanded respect from the Caps. So I can understand the promise that DW also sees. (Reminded me a Semenko from the old Oilers--(we can only wish))!

I would prescribe some heavy dosages of power skating and agility drills for the summer. Plus whatever drills they do to soften his hands.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:29 AM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Plus whatever drills they do to soften his hands.
Soak those hands in some Dawn.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Dupuis>Ilya

Cowan was having a career year, but that's when you trade players, eh? Sell high, buy low. I liked what Jeff brought to the table, but let's face it, players like him are a dime a dozen. His scoring had tailed off months ago. I would've liked a little better return, but we couldn't have asked for too much more. Certainly nothing to fret over or call Waddell a "tool" over. That's silly. Complain about the fact he didn't add a real player to the roster when he could have, but complaining about losing bit players like Cowan or Grand-Pierre is trivial.

Closed Thread