Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09 Draft thread

Old
05-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Also need to remember the 07 draft at the time was considered pretty weak after the top 7-10 players, sure there are always others scattered throughout the rest but what i'm not getting did we gamble, or did we make a safe pick?

I'm not a fan of safe picks for the fact not all "safe" picks amount to much, with that said Logan has some tools that can make him valuable, but he's atleast 3 years from making it unless he plays really well in the AHL next year

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:01 AM
JeffShibley

I'm hoping the ducks take Chris Kreider in the first round

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:03 AM
GreatBear

Almost any player drafted at 18 is a guess based upon projections about how well the player will perform in the future. At this time last year people were talking about Bobby Ryan as a bust for being chosen second in the Crosby draft. Now the Ryan decision is considered a good one.

There is a reason that many experts wait five years to evaluate a draft, to see how well all of the players develop. If Logan McMillan turns into a solid checking center or even a second line center during that period then his selection will be reasonably successful.

His mental attitude is very important. Just look at the toxic poison of Avery. A good player when he plays who turns the locker room to @#$! Compare that with Marchant, who is considered a real character guy and leader.

This is not to say that I am a fan of the choice. I actually am somewhay happier with the Brandon McMillan selection, with Brandon playing defense. He has, excluding coughing up the puck for a goal, played well in the Memorial Cup games that I have seen. However, as with Logan, we need to wait and see how they both develop. A player at 23 is vastly different than a player at 18.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quick question for you guys, as you know, I know nothing of these kids, before or after the draft. Question is, how do you guys know so much about these kids? and where do you guys see them or do you just read about them?

They do not televise much college or other hockey, so where do you guys see them play?

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
GreatBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
Quick question for you guys, as you know, I know nothing of these kids, before or after the draft. Question is, how do you guys know so much about these kids? and where do you guys see them or do you just read about them?

They do not televise much college or other hockey, so where do you guys see them play?
The Memorial Cup games are currently on the NHL network. I am not aware of any other television of the junior games. Since I live in Southern California I am not able to see any of the games in person.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
I think MacMillan was chosen some 10 spots ahead of where he was ranked in most of the listings. Although I believe TSN (MacKenzie) had him going at around that spot.

I do remember when we made that selection I was like "Logan MacWho?" It's unusual that I don't at least know the name of a 1st round draftee.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:

Kevin and I both live in Atlantic Canada, where Logan played up until his trade at Christmas...also, all QMJHL games are streamed at qmjhl.mytelus.com (not including Memorial Cup)

The thing is that I live in Saint John, where we had the worst team in the division that year, and I watched Voracek perform his magic show and Logan get points...I'm not saying Logan is a bad hockey player...just that I think his upside is Kunitz, and with a 16th overall pick, I'm not overly happy with a Kunitz...aside from a draft thread where I express dismay with how high we picked him, he is a solid player that will probably be in the NHL full time the year after next

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I think MacMillan was chosen some 10 spots ahead of where he was ranked in most of the listings. Although I believe TSN (MacKenzie) had him going at around that spot.

I do remember when we made that selection I was like "Logan MacWho?" It's unusual that I don't at least know the name of a 1st round draftee.
The highest he was rated by anybody was somewhere around 22...the lowest, I believe, was around 50

Old
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Bjindaho

This is the last draft we can pick a highly regarded D with the chance to have them come to camp and spend all their time around Niedermayer/Pronger...I'd like to see us take advantage of that before we lose it...

Old
05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Well, for a while there, it was my job.
I kept tabs on them through a number of ways: video, first-hand accounts from other HF staff or other contacts, interviews and talking to people in the organizations and so on.

I was surprised that MacMillan was selected that high, but I understand the selection and looking at the players selected after him, there's not many that fit the Ducks' blueprint and are of a higher caliber.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
This is the last draft we can pick a highly regarded D with the chance to have them come to camp and spend all their time around Niedermayer/Pronger...I'd like to see us take advantage of that before we lose it...
The need for a center and LW, hell even RW, is greater than the need for a defensman at this point, in my opinion.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
The need for a center and LW, hell even RW, is greater than the need for a defensman at this point, in my opinion.
If we need a forward, we can sign one (or draft one later)...winning breeds winning

There are plenty of examples of great teams that made sure that they drafted at positions of strength so that their stars could teach the up-and-comers...

We could draft a forward but we aren't strong anywhere and the player we draft likely doesn't play for 2-3 years (after Pronger and Niedermayer leave, wouldn't it be nice if their replacements were actually mentored by them)

Old
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll leave the "scouting" to you guys since I don't have the time to watch.

I'll have to agree with Static, we need a forward more than D men. Although within the next couple of years, we'll be without both Pronger and Niedermeyer. But we've drafted more D men recently I believe.

I see the point of having those two tutor the kids, but we're only talking camp and not much else.

Old
Bjindaho

Drafting for a current need is never a good idea

Old
05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll leave the "scouting" to you guys since I don't have the time to watch.

I'll have to agree with Static, we need a forward more than D men. Although within the next couple of years, we'll be without both Pronger and Niedermeyer. But we've drafted more D men recently I believe.

I see the point of having those two tutor the kids, but we're only talking camp and not much else.
Depends...there are a few guys that might be worth the 10-game tryout to get to be super best friends with those guys...

Old
05-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Drafting for a current need is never a good idea
For sure, But, and a big one at that, we are in the need to forwards none the less, now and in the future.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
For sure, But, and a big one at that, we are in the need to forwards none the less, now and in the future.
Then you draft them in the following rounds. Never ever draft for need. You draft whoever you have at the top of your list. We can get forwards in the later rounds to add depth if that is a worry.

Now I know someone will argue we don't have top end talent at the forward position but Im not really concerned with that. We can trade for scoring depth if we have an abundance of talent in other areas.

The biggest issue for the Duck perspective IMO is their lack of finding any considerable talent past the first round.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Our top line is under 25...at some point, we will pay some 2nd liners (or accept the ones we have)...worst case scenario with drafting Ds is that Carlyle makes them good and we trade them to make up our future FWs...

Old
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Not arguing just asking here, you guys say never draft for your needs, but we've moved down to get a certain player, was that for the player or position?

I've seen teams trade player and picks to land a certain player, is it not for the holes they have to fill?

Old
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Not arguing just asking here, you guys say never draft for your needs, but we've moved down to get a certain player, was that for the player or position?

I've seen teams trade player and picks to land a certain player, is it not for the holes they have to fill?
Let's say that Olivier Roy was 10th on my list (he isn't necessarily but he'd probably be close)...if I know that he isn't going to be drafted anywhere near there, I trade down to get him (assuming he is the next best player on my list)...GMs use ISS, RLR, TSN, and other draft resources as hints to what others might do (so they don't take someone they really like too high)

It could easily happen with NYI if they take Hedman (take him at 2 instead of 1)

Old
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

OK, I see

Thanks for the clarification.

So back on topic, we pick 15th or so Who do you guys realistically see us going for?

Do we have anything to offer to move up?

Old
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
OK, I see

Thanks for the clarification.

So back on topic, we pick 15th or so Who do you guys realistically see us going for?

Do we have anything to offer to move up?
It's so hard to tell. Because it all depends on who the Ducks brass has targeted. Personally unless we fell in love with someone at our spot at 15 would always try to trade down rather than up to acquire more picks.

Any team could move up. They just have to be willing to offer up future high picks/current NHL players. At this point I don't think Anaheim has the depth for this type of move.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Our top line is under 25...at some point, we will pay some 2nd liners (or accept the ones we have)...worst case scenario with drafting Ds is that Carlyle makes them good and we trade them to make up our future FWs...
You have to take salary into account, however. The thing about drafting and growing talent is that you dont have to pay them big money for a couple of years. Once Ryan gets paid that big line is going to take up over 15 million in salary...where are we going to get the money to "pay" the 2nd liners? From the loss of Nieds and Pronger? The organization has a recent history of growing forwards and going outside for dmen, and with the lack of a number one dman in the system I dont see that trend ending anytime soon.

That said, the system needs forwards badly. You can talk about the whole dont draft for need bit, but really, will there be anyone head and shoulders above the rest at our draft spot? Unless a major player drops for some unforeseeable reason I highly doubt that.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
with the lack of a number one dman in the system I dont see that trend ending anytime soon.
That Tyler Myers kid looks like a stud. I had a bad dream where we traded down, picked a project dman and used one of the extra picks to trade for Erik Christensen.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Randall Graves*

all i'm going to say is the ducks never take who we expect it seems they go off the board every year, so i'm not guessing this time around

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote