HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andy McDonald resigns 4 Yrs

Old
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
The contract is front loaded.....

$5.2 09-10

$5.2 10-11

$4.2 11-12

$4.2 12-13

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
TrustInJarmo*

A bit too much....

There better not be a NTC/NMC!!!!

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

McDonald could get a lot more money on the open market. Great signing. I'm actually surprised it's less than 5M.

Watch the video on the Blues site of McDonald talking about the deal and he also comments he's excited to be back in the lineup. Oh this is a damn good day!!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Dawit49

How do you get a raise for being injured?

I was hoping for 4$/yr

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
TerminatorBlue

Is there a no trade clause... you know just in case.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
People are complaining that its too much, but I think this is significantly less than he'd command on the open market. Plus, this is probably the biggest contract he'll ever get. At 31, these are going to be his prime years as a player. After this he'll likely be declining or only get shorter contract offers.

I think Andy gave the Blues a fair home-town discount. Its a win-win. The NTC is just a courtesy. If a team wants to trade you, they'll do it anyway (see Doug Weight). But this allows the player to be involved in the process and probably be able to veto undesirable locations.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Take it from a Ducks fan, this is a good signing for your team. A lot of Ducks fans still hate that this deal was made and 4.7 is more than fair for a point-a-game, top-line center. We've had a gapping hole on our second line ever since that deal though I was one of the ones that didn't hate it. I hated how bad Doug Weight ended the year after he hurt his shoulder but what are you gonna do, we needed to get Scott Niedermayer back on the team. If only you guys could have taken Bertuzzi things would have been much better.

Congrats to Andy! He deserves it. I bet Brian Burke is pissed off that he didn't get a chance to snatch him up this summer.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
People are complaining that its too much, but I think this is significantly less than he'd command on the open market. Plus, this is probably the biggest contract he'll ever get. At 31, these are going to be his prime years as a player. After this he'll likely be declining or only get shorter contract offers.

I think Andy gave the Blues a fair home-town discount. Its a win-win. The NTC is just a courtesy. If a team wants to trade you, they'll do it anyway (see Doug Weight). But this allows the player to be involved in the process and probably be able to veto undesirable locations.
You can't say "it's a win-win" and than have the following sentence say "The NTC is just a courtesy."

Handing out NTC/NMC to almost every player we re-sign not only sets a terrible precident for future Blues signings...front office is creating a monster and are completely handcuffing themselves with all these NTC/NMC clauses to players that should not be getting them.

Berglund, EJ, Backes should be getting NTC clauses in a few years...not the ones that have been getting them the past 2 seasons.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
You can't say "it's a win-win" and than have the following sentence say "The NTC is just a courtesy."

Handing out NTC/NMC to almost every player we re-sign not only sets a terrible precident for future Blues signings...front office is creating a monster and are completely handcuffing themselves with all these NTC/NMC clauses to players that should not be getting them.

Berglund, EJ, Backes should be getting NTC clauses in a few years...not the ones that have been getting them the past 2 seasons.

Tkachuk, Brewer, Jackman, McDonald, and Kariya...

Off that list. Jackman and McDonald deserve one. The other three, not so much. But Brewer is gone after next season. Kariya's contract end after next season. While we have the option to deal Walt this season depending on the standings.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post

Off that list. Jackman and McDonald deserve one. The other three, not so much. But Brewer is gone after next season. Kariya's contract end after next season. While we have the option to deal Walt this season depending on the standings.
Jackman is one of my favorite players since 2002....but even his own "die hard fan" can say, Jackman does NOT deserve a no-trade-clause. His injuries and his inconsistant play in the NEW NHL since the fall of 2005 has proven he does NOT deserve it.

Why does McDonald deserve one?

Old
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Jackman is one of my favorite players since 2002....but even his own "die hard fan" can say, Jackman does NOT deserve a no-trade-clause. His injuries and his inconsistant play in the NEW NHL since the fall of 2005 has proven he does NOT deserve it.

Why does McDonald deserve one?
Jackman's injuries? He hasn't missed that much time. Out of a possible 298 games since the lockout, he's played 263. He's missed 35 games. That's it. You speak as if he's missed half his damn games.

Why does McDonald deserve one? He's the teams most offensive player outside of maybe Boyes. He fights every night to get his job done. Which is to put up the points. He's a huge piece of this team moving forward and I have no doubts that he is one of those guys in the locker room who you'd love to be around. He's shown his loyalty to St. Louis by taking a discount (He could have gotten at least 5.5M on the open market more than likely of not more) He loves it in St. Louis and he shows it with his play. That is the type of guy I'd give a NTC to. He's shown his offensive capability since his start of his career and he hasn't slowed down. Last year was his "off" year where he still nabbed 52 points. Why do you think he doesn't deserve it?

Old
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The NTC is just a courtesy. If a team wants to trade you, they'll do it anyway (see Doug Weight). But this allows the player to be involved in the process and probably be able to veto undesirable locations.

Ask Toronto fans about Thomas Kaberle and his team's ability to move him...

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
IGNACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Ask Toronto fans about Thomas Kaberle and his team's ability to move him...
Good Point.

When your see what Toronto could have gotten for Kaberle....well, I'm glad I'm not a Leafs fan. GO Canadiens!

The Blues have been lucky when it has come to the NTC and moving players, but its a helpless feeling when you can get a great return for a player but they have a NTC and enforce it.

I am happy we got McDonald signed, hope he gets back soon and stays healthy!

Last edited by IGNACE: 02-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
IGNACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Jackman's injuries? He hasn't missed that much time. Out of a possible 298 games since the lockout, he's played 263. He's missed 35 games. That's it. You speak as if he's missed half his damn games.

Why does McDonald deserve one? He's the teams most offensive player outside of maybe Boyes. He fights every night to get his job done. Which is to put up the points. He's a huge piece of this team moving forward and I have no doubts that he is one of those guys in the locker room who you'd love to be around. He's shown his loyalty to St. Louis by taking a discount (He could have gotten at least 5.5M on the open market more than likely of not more) He loves it in St. Louis and he shows it with his play. That is the type of guy I'd give a NTC to. He's shown his offensive capability since his start of his career and he hasn't slowed down. Last year was his "off" year where he still nabbed 52 points. Why do you think he doesn't deserve it?
My fault. I didn't look Jackman's games missed up. It seems like yesterday Jax was always hurt...I can't believe how long ago that was now that I look at it.

But Barret's inconsitant play in the new NHL can argue against Jackman getting a NTC.

I am not as concerned as much with McDonald's length and money in his contract...although he is 31 and will be 35 making that amount will be interesting. I hope when we are going for the Cup run in 4 years...I hope McDonald at 35 is able to bring it still....

Bottomline is this...I would not have as much of a problem with Jackman and McDonald getting NTC's....HAD Brewer, Tkachcuk and Kariya not gotten NTC/NMC.

And if anyone is going to tell me..."well we wouldn't have been able to sign those 3 guys without the NTC." I say, like I said before, I did not want them when we signed them at the time...and I don't want them now. (Kariya, Brewer & Tkachuck)

Old
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Market Street Heroes

It's a good thing TrustInJarmo knows more about contract negotations then the Blues front office. It's strange how they haven't offered you a job yet.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:

FYI: Brewer is with the Blues until June 2011.

Old
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFCBlues View Post
It's a good thing TrustInJarmo knows more about contract negotations then the Blues front office. It's strange how they haven't offered you a job yet.
I really don't have a clue.

I'm just glad that Legace, Brewer and Kariya's contracts are working out really well for us.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 02-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
FYI: Brewer is with the Blues until June 2011.
Really? Damn. I thought he was UFA after next season. Well maybe we'll get lucky and deal him in the offseason..

Old
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I really don't have a clue.

I'm just glad that Legace, Brewer and Kariya's contracts are working out really well for us.
What's wrong with Legace or Kariya contracts?

Legace is gone after this year. There's no long-term penalty and being unable to trade him had little to do with the contract. It has everything to do with him playing himself down to nil value. He's not over-paid though.

Kariya is a bit more than I would have liked, but he's insured so the money isn't on the books for this season. The overpayment is probably necessary for a team that is coming off the worst record in the league....but it also energized a lot of the fans. Would we do it now? No. But at the time it was reasonable, and sent a great signal that the team wanted to compete and would sign the right player if the opportunity was there.

We'll see how the rehabbed Kariya looks. I agree he's overpaid, his production had faded....but not sure how much of that was chronic hip stuff. If he comes back in good form, I think the Blues won't have any regrets about it.

The roster is shaping up pretty nicely for the next couple years. I don't see the Blues as being hamstrung capwise.....so what's the big deal?

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
General Veers

So as of right now our core of forwards for the future is Andy, Backes, Boyes, Oshie and Berglund. (With Perry and others to be extended soon) That's pretty damn sweet and I'm excited about it!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
So as of right now our core of forwards for the future is Andy, Backes, Boyes, Oshie and Berglund. (With Perry and others to be extended soon) That's pretty damn sweet and I'm excited about it!
As am I....Now add a couple free agents (playoff vets) to that mix in 2 to 3 years....

Along with Eller....

And than...hopefully....we finally have 3 Soild Lines for once!!!

Old
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

I'm generally happy about this signing. It takes a little pressure off of Berglund/Oshie and allows them to grow at their own pace. I doubt we would have found a better (offensive) center on the market that would have fit our price range. NTCs are always tricky though.

The only downside is the speculation in the Morning Skate that this would help in re-signing Kariya. Nothing against him, but I think I'd rather see him go when his contract is up.

Also, does this mean we don't re-sign Tkachuk? Eller or Sonne takes his spot as third line winger next season?

Last edited by Polaris: 02-09-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
It's around what I exprected. I just hope there isn't a NTC. If so we're giving those out like candy.
He DOES have an NTC in this contract.

Also, I was hoping for about $4.2 million for 3 years. But it's not terrible, especially as it's front loaded.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
As am I....Now add a couple free agents (playoff vets) to that mix in 2 to 3 years....

Along with Eller....

And than...hopefully....we finally have 3 Soild Lines for once!!!
You know something, Trust in Jarmo? You're a hard-nosed ******* (and I mean that in a good way). I really do.

But........there is no way that I want Lars Eller to play for the Blues next season. I say this because he needs to get bigger. I don't think he needs to "toughen up" necessarily (because he seems a fairly tough customer for his size and experience), but I really feel he should spend at least one more season at the SEL level and THEN come over to the AHL in 2010.

I might be wrong and I encourage others to argue against my stance.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
txbluesfan44

I for one like the signing, even with the NTC. Tkachuk has one and I dont get the sense its going to matter much assuming the Blues trade him to a contender. They'd give the same respect to McDonald in 4 years too I believe.

What this deal does is solidify the #2 center spot for 4 years and adds Stanley Cup experience which we will sorely lack when the time comes.

I think it also sends a pretty strong message the future UFAs as the Blues are committing to making this team a Stanley Cup contender and that will look awfully attractive to those on the market down the road.

Good signing, not a GREAT signing, but Im happy and cant wait for tomorrow night!

txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote