HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The 2009 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread (Updated Regularly!!!)

Old
02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
AlMo

vCash: 500
I usually don't like making up proposals but I'll go along with it. Here are some of my predictions

To Pit: Nik Antropov
To Toronto: 2nd Rd Pick, Pierro-Zabotel

To Boston: Mathieu Schneider
To Atlanta: 3rd Rd Pick

To Calgary: Jordan Leopold
To Colorado: 2nd Rd Pick, Daniel Ryder

To Columbus: Mike Comrie
To NY Islanders: Maxim Mayarov

To Chicago: Keith Tkachuk
To St. Louis: 1st Rd Pick

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
To NJ: Jordan Leopold
To COL: Nicklas Bergfors + 3rd round pick

or

To NJ: Scott Niedermayer
To ANA: Matthew Corrente and 2009 1st Round Pick
Would be interesting to see if Scott would like to go back. IMO though, it would cost more than that and the Ducks would have to be out of the playoff race..........it's not going to happen.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Here's the real problem with handicapping the trade deadline right now: who are the real sellers?

-- Toronto is, obviously. Burke all but has a "WE'RE SELLING!" sign hung on the Air Canada Center.
-- The Islanders are obviously sellers, but Weight is out 6 weeks and Sillinger is out for the season; after that, they've got Guerin and Comrie as the only "big name" UFA's.
-- Tampa Bay probably is, but who knows.
-- Atlanta should be; who's available is the real question here.
-- Ottawa should be, but their only real UFA's of value are Kuba, Neil, and McAmmond.
-- St. Louis probably is at the moment, but who's available is a question.
-- Colorado is; will Sakic say "trade me?" If not, they've got Leopold, Laperriere, and Arnason plus Tjarnqvist and ... Raycroft?

That's it at the moment. Pittsburgh and Carolina aren't sellers [though the Hurricanes are trying their best to play their way out of contention], and after the Avs and Blues in the West, no one else is completely out [though the Coyotes are trying to play their way out]. Heck, even Los Angeles is trying to play its way back in and Nashville isn't out yet [though with the league's most difficult remaining schedule, it's going to be hell]. Seven (7) teams that are really sellers - and about 13 who could go from "in the playoffs" to "missed the playoffs" pretty quickly.

The key to the deadline is what happens to the teams that aren't really in, but aren't really out. I think you'll either see those teams trying to make swaps with the other conference trying to improve each team [hoping that it kick starts things down the stretch] or several "Tim Jackman for a 7th" type moves. It's really hard to handicap things at the moment - and I wouldn't be surprised if going into the weekend before the deadline there are teams that still don't know if they're going to be buyers or sellers.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Darklord

Trade NJ/Col

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that New-Jersey needs a good D-man, but I think that bergfors is not the kind of player that Colorado needs.

To Colorado : Scott Clemmensen

To New-Jersey : John-Michael Liles

Darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Irish Blues

That 1st trade actually looks good. The 2nd one ... not a chance the Devils trade Clemmensen at this point.

Old
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Here's the real problem with handicapping the trade deadline right now: who are the real sellers?

-- Toronto is, obviously. Burke all but has a "WE'RE SELLING!" sign hung on the Air Canada Center.
-- The Islanders are obviously sellers, but Weight is out 6 weeks and Sillinger is out for the season; after that, they've got Guerin and Comrie as the only "big name" UFA's.
-- Tampa Bay probably is, but who knows.
-- Atlanta should be; who's available is the real question here.
-- Ottawa should be, but their only real UFA's of value are Kuba, Neil, and McAmmond.
-- St. Louis probably is at the moment, but who's available is a question.
-- Colorado is; will Sakic say "trade me?" If not, they've got Leopold, Laperriere, and Arnason plus Tjarnqvist and ... Raycroft?

That's it at the moment. Pittsburgh and Carolina aren't sellers [though the Hurricanes are trying their best to play their way out of contention], and after the Avs and Blues in the West, no one else is completely out [though the Coyotes are trying to play their way out]. Heck, even Los Angeles is trying to play its way back in and Nashville isn't out yet [though with the league's most difficult remaining schedule, it's going to be hell]. Seven (7) teams that are really sellers - and about 13 who could go from "in the playoffs" to "missed the playoffs" pretty quickly.

The key to the deadline is what happens to the teams that aren't really in, but aren't really out. I think you'll either see those teams trying to make swaps with the other conference trying to improve each team [hoping that it kick starts things down the stretch] or several "Tim Jackman for a 7th" type moves. It's really hard to handicap things at the moment - and I wouldn't be surprised if going into the weekend before the deadline there are teams that still don't know if they're going to be buyers or sellers.
regarding the Isles, I'm surprised to see Brendan Witt's name not getting kicked around more often. maybe i over-rate the guy, but who wouldn't want a self-less, grizzled dman to help them in the playoffs.

i can see many an-inept GM looking at his current season and +/- and thumbing their noses, while an organization like detroit casually steps up and takes Witt off the Isles hands (salary cap not-withstanding).

Witt likely won't command a 1st rounder, but I can see him being moved for a low 2nd rounder +.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I usually don't like making up proposals but I'll go along with it. Here are some of my predictions

Wow. A big trade between rivals. I don't see that one happening personally.

Quote:
Would be interesting to see if Scott would like to go back. IMO though, it would cost more than that and the Ducks would have to be out of the playoff race..........it's not going to happen.
If the Ducks are out and Niedermayer is truly on the cusp of retiring this time, I think that would be enough to get it done. If Niedermayer agreed to that deal, I think that would also seal his mindset in terms of retiring after the season. No way he wants back to Jersey full time and it's doubtful that he'd agree to that and then pull a Tkachuk and return to the Ducks.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

With Weight out for 6 weeks and Sillinger out for good, the returns Snow might have been thinking of at the beginning of the season have already taken a real hit.

Comrie is as sure a goner as there is. Guerin will be tricky with his NMC, but rest assured, he still has some hockey in the tank and has made some excellent plays in recent games.

Witt is a warrior and any GM in this league who thinks along the same lines of Don Cherry are gonna have Witt on their list, poor +/- or not. The man can certainly help a few teams in the playoffs. However, he still has no less than 1 year on his 3 million per contract.

Islander fans are bit on the fence with regard to trading any and everybody other than Comrie (everyone knows he's not returning next season).

Still, in general, this Islander team can do a lot for its ultimate future with a huge draft this summer. With a possible #1 overall and already 3 2nds, two likely within 31-40, there's no real need for more draft picks, but this team is going NOWHERE with its current line-up and a GM for the league's worst team must think about the team's future on trade deadline day.

Another thing that is gonna affect Snow's trading potential is the fact that this team has more injuries than just about anybody. It seems like someone gets injured every night. There may not be enough bodies to go around if a few are traded at the deadline.

Chapin Landvogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Hawks trade 2nd round pick to NYI for Doug Weight.
Well, you can forget this one.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 04:08 PM
kmillzy5

Van- Jordan Staal
-Satan

Pit- Raymond
Grabner
late pick

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Florida keeps Bouwmeester, make the playoffs, lose to the Bruins in the first round, he leaves as a UFA in the offseason and Martin is fired.
Fixed

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
David71

to nashville 3rd round pick

van:greg zanon (probably makes sense because kabs and bou will ask more.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Question regarding all these Antropov posts: Hasn't anybody read Dreger's comments on TSN.ca. He makes it clear that there has been little interest in Antropov and that Burke has come down on Big Nik in a last ditch attempt to motivate him enough to up the ante on his play for a trade.

Leafs are simply not getting a first rounder or any high value assets for this guy.

02-13-2009, 06:32 PM
AK

Gaborik to Edmonton for 2nd round pick.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
Van- Jordan Staal
-Satan

Pit- Raymond
Grabner
late pick
I'll get Gillis on the phone

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

I see the leafs getting, a couple of intresting prospects.
Maybe some boom or bust type of players ex; Robbie Schremp

second round pick and a couple third and fourths.

I don't think they will trade Kaberle.

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Darklord

Quote:
That 1st trade actually looks good. The 2nd one ... not a chance the Devils trade Clemmensen at this point.
Scott Clemmensen is RFA and I don't think he'll sign for 500 000$, they can't give him too much money as a backup goalie for Martin Brodeur.

Darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Question regarding all these Antropov posts: Hasn't anybody read Dreger's comments on TSN.ca. He makes it clear that there has been little interest in Antropov and that Burke has come down on Big Nik in a last ditch attempt to motivate him enough to up the ante on his play for a trade.

Leafs are simply not getting a first rounder or any high value assets for this guy.
and Dreger isn't wrong. He also stated Tim Connolly is being shopped and then a report coming out he isn't and trying to be resigned.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
Scott Clemmensen is RFA and I don't think he'll sign for 500 000$, they can't give him too much money as a backup goalie for Martin Brodeur.
God forbid, Brodeur goes down injured again. Are the Devils really going to go into the playoffs with Weekes [the guy who still rode the pine after Brodeur went down] as the #1 guy? I don't think so.

Old
02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:

Boston would have to open up some [but not a lot of] cap space for Schneider. The Hawks would have to open up a ton of cap space for Tkachuk.

Old
02-14-2009, 01:33 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
And for this reason I suspect that the market may not have many names available; the more teams in contention, the more likely teams hold onto impending UFA with the hope of making the PO's. And for desperate teams on the cusp, the likelihood of buying enters the equation.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:43 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Witt likely won't command a 1st rounder, but I can see him being moved for a low 2nd rounder +.
Personally unless somebody overpays big time(read that first rounder), I rather see the Islanders keep Witt. Now if somebody wants Sutton(who has 1 year left after this) I would be more willing to deal him(not that I expect a huge return)

When all is said and Done with the Islanders, the only guy I see being delt is Comrie(Unless some team wants Macdonald for a backup)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:51 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that New-Jersey needs a good D-man, but I think that bergfors is not the kind of player that Colorado needs.

To Colorado : Scott Clemmensen

To New-Jersey : John-Michael Liles
Not a chance is hell I would trade Liles for Clemmensen. Thats brutal.

As for the first trade, it's been discussed before, and both parties seem to like it.

One change I would make, to make it more fair, is

Jordan Leopold

for

Nicklas Bergfors, and a conditional 2nd round pick (If Leo re-signs with New Jersey, the Avs get a 2nd, if not the Avs get a 3rd round pick).

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:03 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

To my favorite team: your favorite team's MVP

To your favorite team: a forward (an overpaid, underachieving one), a defenseman (not a good one), a prospect (not the one you want), and a draft pick (not a 1st rounder, though).

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:14 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
not sure on the exact return but heres what i think the avs do or something along those lines.

Leopold to Bos: Depending on how the bidding war gets, i think it will be something along the lines of Stuart to Det or Rivet to Sharks ie 2nd +4th or a late 1st.

Lapperriere to Mtl: They need some toughness and the montreal faithful would absolutly fall in love with this guy: 2nd pick 09

Tjnarqvist to Det: Seems like the cheap/smart move the wings always do at the deadline to add some crucial depth for a long playoff run: 4/5th rd 09

Salei to NJ: Probably make a nice fit in a structured system: 2nd rd 09

Raycroft to Cal: Vet backup for Kipper: 6th rd or Average Ahler prospect.

And I think someone desperate for offense gambles on Arnason for a 7th rd or future considerations....maybe florida.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote