HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tape sticking to blade?

Old
02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Tape sticking to blade?

Basically my stick has sat in my garage b/c i've mostly been playing outdoor. It was taped, and I pulled the tape off the blade and there was white crap all over the blade. Just wondering if its a big deal, like will tape still be as adhesive on the blade? Or should I try and get it off, and if so anyone have any recommendations on how to get it off? Thanks.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

it happens all the time. it is probably worse beacause you left it taped and didnt use it for a while. just use your fingers or something sharp and scrape it off. its not a big deal

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 03:11 PM
BadHammy*

It probably won't matter. Don't scrape the tape off the blade and take the outer layer off the blade though

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Spray a towel with WD-40 and it will come off. Just residue from the tape, happens when you leave it on for a long period of time.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Spray a towel with WD-40 and it will come off. Just residue from the tape, happens when you leave it on for a long period of time.
Goo-Gone works also.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Basically my stick has sat in my garage b/c i've mostly been playing outdoor.
Does this mean you use this stick for street hockey, shooting out doors on a target, or Playing pond hockey?

The reason why I ask is....

When you play ice hockey or street, you will always replace the tape because it get chewed of the bottom because of the surface...correct?

Well, when you play ice, the ice melts and soaks into the tape. When this happens, water is the worlds best cleaner so it emulsifies the gum on the tape. Which means it turns the glue gum on the tape into mush. This is why the tape always falls off.

So if you are having problems with the tape on this stick, you must be playing street hockey with it...or not.

Tikkanen and IniNew are correct. Both products work well. Plus, if you don't rinse of the product residue off with soap and water, it will be easier to take the tape off next time.

Good Luck
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Does this mean you use this stick for street hockey, shooting out doors on a target, or Playing pond hockey?

When you play ice hockey or street, you will always replace the tape because it get chewed of the bottom because of the surface...correct?

Well, when you play ice, the ice melts and soaks into the tape. When this happens, water is the worlds best cleaner so it emulsifies the gum on the tape. Which means it turns the glue gum on the tape into mush. This is why the tape always falls off.

So if you are having problems with the tape on this stick, you must be playing street hockey with it...or not.

Tikkanen and IniNew are correct. Both products work well. Plus, if you don't rinse of the product residue off with soap and water, it will be easier to take the tape off next time.

Good Luck
Head coach
I use WD-40 to clean puck and stick marks off my sticks as well. I guess it's weird but I like my sticks to look nice and new which is very hard to do.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:54 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Good Luck
Head coach
Best solution for that(on ice) is stick wax. The gunky crap on the bottom of the blade from using regular, unwaxed cloth tape is probably still soaked with water at that time... This is why a lot of people have trouble keeping wood blades to last. I'm sure most people would get a lot more quality use out of wood sticks/blades if they removed the tape after every icetime.

The gunk from the tape, treated with repeated soaking and then drying out leaves a dusty, crusty residue. I'm sure you guys have seen this when you replace your knob/grip after months of use.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would recommend trying a different brand of tape if you're getting the residue. I switched to Gear brand tape which holds up better than Andover, and it doesn't leave the residue as much. Also, using a bit of wax and removing the tape after the skate takes care of the problem.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote