HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Sean Avery 2 (UPDATE: Placed on Re-Waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
All Things Sean Avery 2 (UPDATE: Placed on Re-Waivers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Naslund's the only guy on this team that consistantly scores. And he's actually somewhat playing to his salary. You're being overcritical of players like everyone else here. We're not going to have a firesale like 2003 because we've lost the past 5 games.

I agree Naslund is giving us exactly what we expected. He is a periphery player who will net his goals. But he is not the kind of guy who dramatically impacts any game. He is what he is....

But he also fits the Rangers new Vanilla mold to a T

Old
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I agree Naslund is giving us exactly what we expected. He is a periphery player who will net his goals. But he is not the kind of guy who dramatically impacts any game. He is what he is....

Thanks for saving me the typin'.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

You can't hate the guy because he doesn't act crazy on the Ice, it's not his fault he is who he is. It's not like because he comes off Vanilla that he doesn't care or isn't trying any harder than the rest of the guys out there.

He should be on a 2nd line somewhere, instead he's pretty much projected into the 1st line sniper role by default, something that he obviously is not.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I think some aren't saying they are against it because it doesn't address a need, but rather who cares because it doesn't address a need.
And even at half price, Avery is still 2 mil a year for 3 years. He is a band-aid on a huge gash. And 2 mil a year for a 3rd line player, that does not really help our cap situation at all.
I disagree. Avery may not serve our scoring need, but he addresses the need of passionate play & emotional intensity that is severely lacking in this team.

Redden, Drury, Naslund, Gomez, and Rozy among others are all way to passive and laidback. We need some bite & an infusion of energy in this lineup and Avery will provide that.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
RangerFan10

there was passion at the beginning of the season when we were scoring goals. Plenty of it. You don't think Cally, Dubi, Girardi, Staal, Korpi, Betts, Orr, Sjostrom, Zherdev, and to a lesser extent Gomez don't bring passion? Everyone seems to hate Drury now, but I feel for him everytime he's sitting in front of the net taking crosscheck after crosscheck on a powerplay that makes about 6 passes and then turns it over.

You can't have a team full of hotheads and expect to win. Now that we're losing I don't understand why having some more passive personalities on the team has become the reason we're losing. When we were winning, guarantee you these players recieved a label of "leading by example" and "composed, focused, etc."

The only need he addresses is to provide a spark, and honestly, everyone has given up on the season after the past two games. There is no hope. It is time for a firesale apparently. Trade everyone, fire everyone, hell move the team to Kansas City.

You can get a spark by trading for a goalscorer at the deadline that will lift this team just as much if not more than Avery will. A lot of the guys that were here when Avery had his success are gone. In turn that will probably mean limited success for Avery as well, I don't see him fitting in nearly as well with this team.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Hopefully Avery fights Redden and Drury in practice.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
RangerFan10

that will do wonders for sparking the team. fight the captain and the guy we're stuck with for 5 more years. I'm sure the next 3 years of Avery's contract wouldn't be awkward or intrusive.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I can't describe to you how happy bringing Avery back would make me. We never should have let him go in the first place. As for the concern about what he may do to the locker room, maybe this locker room is a little too comfortable right now. The one thing about Avery that you can't deny is that he brings it every single night. I can't say the same thing for everyone on this current team. He raises the entire teams battle level because he brings the fight to the other team. Instead of sitting back and reacting like everyone on this current team does.
IMO, great post.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

These guys are playing like they really want Avery back.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Esa 10

Avery does NOT have to play a minute in Hartford to be brought back. The Dallas Stars have to make 2 simple PAPER transactions following Avery's clearing of normal waivers:

1. Assign Sean to an AHL team (supposedly done --- to Hartford)
2. Place Avery on Re-Call waivers. They can do this tomorrow, in a week, or may have already done it. No set amount of time has to pass between the 2 events.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Avery does NOT have to play a minute in Hartford to be brought back. The Dallas Stars have to make 2 simple PAPER transactions following Avery's clearing of normal waivers:

1. Assign Sean to an AHL team (supposedly done --- to Hartford)
2. Place Avery on Re-Call waivers. They can do this tomorrow, in a week, or may have already done it. No set amount of time has to pass between the 2 events.
This is what I thought as well. I'm not sure what NHL regular needs to go down to HFD, especially one like Avery. Fringe NHL'ers go down for conditioning stints. Others like Shanahan and Sundin practice with the team for a week or so to get back in shape.

Avery's been working out hard during this break. All he needs is those paper transactions to go through and he's good.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
This is what I thought as well. I'm not sure what NHL regular needs to go down to HFD, especially one like Avery. Fringe NHL'ers go down for conditioning stints. Others like Shanahan and Sundin practice with the team for a week or so to get back in shape.

Avery's been working out hard during this break. All he needs is those paper transactions to go through and he's good.
As much as he doesn't have to play an AHL game, he will. He will play at least a couple of games so the Rangers can get a real look at what a competetive Sean Avery looks like today.

Old
02-10-2009, 01:03 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
what gives!?!? we keep getting shut out and tons of goals scored on us i mean we need something already didnt this guy clear waivers today!?!?

Old
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
then again i just found this on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3895259

Old
02-10-2009, 02:48 AM
gravytrain6t

I'm liking the polls. Bring back Avery. I actually ******* love the polls. Next time we go back to that swampy, river rat hole and Clarkson thinks he could mess around. Avery loves raggin on that pile. He's gonna knock Clarkson's ass out. I betcha Avery could beat the **** out of rupf or rupp or w e that other piles name is.

Old
02-10-2009, 02:57 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'm liking the polls. Bring back Avery. I actually ******* love the polls. Next time we go back to that swampy, river rat hole and Clarkson thinks he could mess around. Avery loves raggin on that pile. He's gonna knock Clarkson's ass out. I betcha Avery could beat the **** out of rupf or rupp or w e that other piles name is.
I think you're going to find out that that team isn't going to let a very real chance at a Stanley Cup this season be in any way affected by the shenanigans of the "new" Sean Avery.

In case you haven't noticed, these aren't last year's Devils. Sutter has obviously gotten them to mature and buy into his ****. Plus, I'm pretty sure Shanny has more than a few tips he can give the Debbies to get under Avery's skin, as if they'll need any extra ammo with this whole ordeal.

Lesser teams have proven that Avery can be ignored, and thus, neutralized.

I have a feeling the first few contests against the Devils will be some very, very tough ones for Avery.

Old
02-10-2009, 03:28 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I disagree. Avery may not serve our scoring need, but he addresses the need of passionate play & emotional intensity that is severely lacking in this team.

Redden, Drury, Naslund, Gomez, and Rozy among others are all way to passive and laidback. We need some bite & an infusion of energy in this lineup and Avery will provide that.
It's true the team needs a swift kick in the ass. Laidlaw summed it up very well in his post. He bring so many different entities that are just flat out missing right now. In bold I realize that you too realize, what this Ranger team needs. I can't wait for this too get done. This guy loves being a Ranger. And the fans love him.

Old
02-10-2009, 03:33 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
that will do wonders for sparking the team. fight the captain and the guy we're stuck with for 5 more years. I'm sure the next 3 years of Avery's contract wouldn't be awkward or intrusive.
Referring to your other post. It's true, what Drury endures in front of the net. But with Avery. You have a guy that will gladly share that load.
And no, Avery will not be fighting Redden or Drury. Drury was already quoted as being all for this.

Old
02-10-2009, 04:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Drury was already quoted as being all for this.
What did you expect him to say? "I hate Avery, that ****. This is a horrible idea and I totally disagree with management!"

???

Maybe he is for it, maybe he isn't. But he was also quoted comparing Avery's issues to that of a drunk or a druggie.

He's not going to say anything bad about it to the press. The only one who might do something like that is Avery.

Old
02-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Hollywood163

One thing that is still to be seen is how the refs will treat Avery's antics.

He's made allot of enemies in the NHL front office. He's publicly trashed the NHL's marketing.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the refs have him on a very short leash therefore castrating his game.

Old
02-10-2009, 05:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
SEAN Avery is on his way to Hartford, where, The Post has learned, he will be assigned today by the Stars for an indeterminate period before going on re-entry waivers that all but assuredly will lead back to Broadway
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102009...ost_154373.htm

No re-entry waivers yet.

Old
02-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
i actually think it may be a game or two before being put on re-entry waivers, just for sean to somewhat prove himself before actually getting the callup. also allowing the rangers time to make a trade or waive someone else.

Old
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Vitto79

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ery_wolf_pack/

Wolfpac

Old
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266412&l...headlines_main

click on the nhl insider video on the right, Mckenzie makes a good point, if the Dallas doesn't put Avery on reentry waivers they don't have Avery counted against their cap the rest of the season and then can buy him out in the offseason, which would mean only 1.2 mil would go against their cap for the next few years...if I'm correct thats less than putting him on reentry waivers.

If I'm Dallas that doesn't sound like a bad plan.

I think he will definitely shake things up back on the Rangers and it is the BEST fit.

Old
02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266412&l...headlines_main

click on the nhl insider video on the right, Mckenzie makes a good point, if the Dallas doesn't put Avery on reentry waivers they don't have Avery counted against their cap the rest of the season and then can buy him out in the offseason, which would mean only 1.2 mil would go against their cap for the next few years...if I'm correct thats less than putting him on reentry waivers.

If I'm Dallas that doesn't sound like a bad plan.

I think he will definitely shake things up back on the Rangers and it is the BEST fit.
hmm almost right. except the Start still pay 4 million a year, if they buy him out they need to negotiate with the player a buyout package which is counted against the cap. 4 million for 4 years for example can be spread out to 2 million for 8 years. But they still are on the hook for his contract in the cap, the can just renegotiate the terms. Would be better to bring him back on re-entry and let someone gobble him up and be on the hook for half his salary. Avery can just come back and say screw you 4 million for 3 years, pay me.

Closed Thread