HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Coach Poll

View Poll Results: Who should coach the Rangers for the remainder of this season?
Jim Schoenfeld 23 18.55%
Peter Laviolette 24 19.35%
Ted Nolan 18 14.52%
John Tortorella 22 17.74%
Tom Renney 29 23.39%
Other (Explain) 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I forgot about Nolan. He'd be a very good coach for this team to be honest.

For met it's a tie between who I want more..Nolan or Shoeny.
The guy has poise under pressure, and gets the best out of players. Which is key right now.

Ted Nolan, go get em slats...that's if you're going to be firing renney.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Can someone explain why Jim Schoenfeld is a name being mentioned? Does he even have an interest in coaching? I know he turned Sather down once (and rightly so at the times). To my knowledge, he's never been mentioned as a possibility for other NHL coaching jobs.

Sub .500 NHL coaching record.

02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What good does Orr do now? Seriously... they are still the softest team in the NHL... why not play a game suited to their style?

Why have a team full of smurfs play a big mans game?

Aggressive play is what they need, not playing not to lose.
What does Orr do? Are you serious? ...Orr plays his role, and plays it well. He is as effective as an anforcer as you are going to find in the NHL. The guy gives his all every night. He is certainly not the problem.

He is a 4th line player that dumps Sidney Crosby on his arse every single chance he gets. Give me another member of this team that you can say that for?

The guy flat out TKO'd one of the toughest players on the Devils last night.

This club is certainyl not the most physical club, but if he was gone it would be ten times worse...not too mention other players that would then take liberties on the rest of the Rangers.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Any coach that can:

1) Get Zherdev to fulfill his huge potential.
2) Take years of Naslund.
3) Speed the development of Dawes, Dubinsky, Korpikoski and Callahan.
4) Rediscover the Wade Redden of three seasons ago.
In other words, this poll should instead be titled: New GM Poll.

And I agree.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Mediocre? Three 30 goal scorers. 4 guys with 70+ points. That's mediocre?
That season they had good years. Because the team was WORKING. Go look at the career numbers for those 30goal/70pt players. If Naslund, Drury, Gomez, and Zherdev played to potential, we wouldn't be far off from their production that year.

Drury should be giving us 25-30g, and 65+ pts.
Gomez should be giving us 15g, and 70 pts.
Naslund should be giving us 30g and 65+ pts
Zherdev should be giving us 25-30g and 70 pts.

Add in the fact that the rest of our roster is underachieving as well, AND the fact we SHOULD be getting a much larger offensive contribution from our blueline and we'd have a team. Rosy and Redden have a lot more to give if a coach could pry it out of them.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Why would anyone seriously consider Messier?

Because he was a good player, and a great Captain?

Isiah Thomas was a pretty good player in his career, and that 5th grade science experiment didn't work out so well.

I'd rather see this team stay with Renney. A new coaching scheme isn't going to dramatically change the amount of scoring chances we capitalize on.. Nor are we going to see a big drop in GA.

If this team did want to head in a different direction, Laviollete would probably be my pick. But I don't see him changing our teams fortune. I don't think he alone makes this roster a legitimate contender.

I think people have gotten to the point where they would rather have anything, over what we currently have.

It's like that 2-year relationship with your girlfriend, that has gotten stale for various reason's. So you boot her out of your condo, and a week later you wonder why you're not better off without her.

Change isn't always a good thing. Sometimes, change makes us realize exactly how good things were.

In my opinion, this team is still a few years away. Our youngsters are still a little too green, and our veterans don't have the offensive talent to carry the load.

We're not going to even have 1 30+ goal scorer on this roster. If Petr Prucha was capable of breaking that barrier under Renney, I see no reason why the rest of the players on this team can't do the same.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I voted "other", simply because I don't know who the coach should be.

I've always been a Renney supporter and still like him to this day. I think he's done a marvelous job with the talent afforded him, and has helped our team overachieve in many instances. He's not perfect but he's a good coach who has done very good things for the franchise. And I certainly do not place the blame for this solely on him as many others seem to.

That said, I'm afraid that he's losing the team or has already lost it. I think it may be time for a shake up. I don't think that a new coach is going to come in and solve our lack or scoring (that's due to a lack of talent, honestly) and we may even be worse off for it in the long haul, but right now I think it's time to make a change.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

-from BB

Quote:
What does Renney think needs to be done to make the power play work? "Moving the puck quick, getting it up top, snapping it through," he said. "It doesn't have to be a slap shot, it doesn't have to pick a corner -- it has to get to the net. The big thing for us is to make sure that we move the puck quickly. When the shot opportunity is there, take it. Get traffic and battle for rebounds and hunt down loose pucks. Just be more on our toes, and shoot, shoot, shoot."

So why isn't that happening? "Maybe they're trying to pick corners, maybe they're trying to be too precise, maybe they're trying to pass the puck into the net," he said. "That is not a guess, that's reality. They want to set up the great play.
You see, a good coach STOPS that habit and MAKES them do the right things, not HOPES they do. Thats done by putting out Cally, Korpikoski, Dawes, Stall and Girardi every PP until the "leaders" of this team get it.

Hey, isnt that what people call "accountability" ??

Funny, Renney is always saying that word, he must have the meaning mixed up.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
That season they had good years. Because the team was WORKING. Go look at the career numbers for those 30goal/70pt players.
So they had one good year? Stay away from Laviolette than.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

^

Exactly why I made this poll. I've liked Renney since day 1. But once you lose a team, its hard as hell to get it back. And its not going to happen if the team keeps sliding. And Renney doesn't seem to handle pressure well, I don't think he adapts well on-the-fly.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I voted "other", simply because I don't know who the coach should be.
Probably the best and most honest answer in the thread right there.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
-from BB

You see, a good coach STOPS that habit and MAKES them do the right things, not HOPES they do.
How would he STOP the habit, Is Renney supposed to jump on the ice during the game?

Are you seriously going to sit here and not give the players most of the blame for the failure of the power play?

Where is your praise for Renney for the OUTSTADING Penalty killing?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
drewcon40

I'd rather hire a coach and his staff in the off season although I can see the positives of a coach coming in now and having some time to evaluate his talent. What would you think of having Ken Gernander on an interim basis and Schoenfeld can coach the Pack for the duration of the year? Then re-evaluate the situation in the off-season.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
So they had one good year? Stay away from Laviolette than.
I actually wasn't bringing them up as an endorsement of Laviolette. I was bringing them up as an example of how a team with mediocre talent CAN achieve success through hard work. I was trying to show a counterpoint to all those argueing that we don't have enough talent on this team to succeed, and therefore anything Renney does will be pointless. That obviously isn't true because teams without massive amounts of talent can and have succeeded.

Do I think we have enough talent to win the cup? No, probably not. But we are a better team than we are showing on the ice right now, and there is definitely a LOT of room for improvement.

I'm just sick of people saying "This team has no talent so it doesn't matter what Renney does, we'll still suck."

Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Can someone explain why Jim Schoenfeld is a name being mentioned? Does he even have an interest in coaching? I know he turned Sather down once (and rightly so at the times). To my knowledge, he's never been mentioned as a possibility for other NHL coaching jobs.

Sub .500 NHL coaching record.

Because somebody posted a video of him yelling at Don Koharski from 20 years ago...

Which I can't believe was 20 years ago.....20 years since John Maclean broke my heart....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
How would he STOP the habit, Is Renney supposed to jump on the ice during the game?

Are you seriously going to sit here and not give the players most of the blame for the failure of the power play?

Where is your praise for Renney for the OUTSTADING Penalty killing?
I think it's pretty obvious it's not just the coach and it's not just the players. It's a little bit of everything, which means the problem is the GM. And it also means this team is in a lot of trouble.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
That season they had good years. Because the team was WORKING. Go look at the career numbers for those 30goal/70pt players. If Naslund, Drury, Gomez, and Zherdev played to potential, we wouldn't be far off from their production that year.

Drury should be giving us 25-30g, and 65+ pts.
Gomez should be giving us 15g, and 70 pts.
Naslund should be giving us 30g and 65+ pts
Zherdev should be giving us 25-30g and 70 pts.

Add in the fact that the rest of our roster is underachieving as well, AND the fact we SHOULD be getting a much larger offensive contribution from our blueline and we'd have a team. Rosy and Redden have a lot more to give if a coach could pry it out of them.
Drury is a 65+ point player in half of his seasons, a 55 point player in the rest. He's disappointing this season but still on pace for about 50-55 points.

Naslund hasn't been a 30G-65P player for years. He's 3 points off his pace for last season and a year older at 35.

Zherdev is on pace for a career high in points, and has never been a 70 point player. His crappy Columbus team that stymied his potential offensive output is in retrospect just as talented offensively as this current Rangers team.

Players aren't performing as hoped, but let's not exaggerate or expect performances from players (like Naslund) that just aren't realistic.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
clmetsfan

I have two words for anyone advocating giving Messier the head coaching job: Bryan Trottier

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I'd just like to throw this out there because some people seem to have trouble grasping it.

If a team is falling apart, and talent/heart may be an issue, you have two options:

1) Gut the team, rebuild.
2) Fire the coach and see what happens.

First off, I'd like you to think about how often a team is gutted before the coach gets tired. We went through 7 years and about as many coaches prior to this team being gutted, we should know that gutting the team is a last-ditch effort.

Second, how are we supposed to gut the team? Ok, lets assume for a moment that Gomez, Drury, and Redden are somehow personally responsible for all our issues, and if we could replace them we would magically become better. How do we get rid of them? The first hurdle is a collection of NTC's and NMC's. Then, once you get past that, you have the fact that at the level they are currently playing at, all three are overpaid by at least twice their current value. None of them is worth much more than $4m right now, and that may be being generous. Who is going to take on their contract? Third, if you do find a taker, they would be doing us a favor by taking on the contracts so the returns would be minimal. How do you get the draft picks and prospects to rebuild the team?

If Renney cannot turn this team around, we have to face two possibilities:

A) Another coach can take the reins and shape things up.
B) Sather has handicapped the team for years, and we are back to 1997 all over again.

Shouldn't we contemplate A before we start to think about the depressing truth that B may represent?

Old
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I have two words for anyone advocating giving Messier the head coaching job: Bryan Trottier
No, no. Trottier had coaching experience and had won a Cup as an assistant. Compared to Messier he's Emile Francis.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Players aren't performing as hoped, but let's not exaggerate or expect performances from players (like Naslund) that just aren't realistic.
You can expect some players to underachieve in a given season. But what you can't expect is that ALL players will underachieve in the same season.

Someone has to pick up the slack when others are struggling.

As for Naslund, I honestly don't know what his problem is. He has the talent to do much better. He hasn't slowed down that much, and he isn't that old yet. I still think he is capable of much more if the whole team wasn't struggling. He isn't going to be your go-to guy, but he should be one of your key guys.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Voted Laviolette, but it would be a much better choice if Sather wasnt around.

Any new coach you bring in will want to shift things around a bit and that means Sather will have to admit the architecture of this team is incorrect to a degree. Shoenfeld is probably the most logical decision to finish out the year because he comes from the organization, and then things could start fresh next year with a new coach.

But with that said, with this roster, i still think Laviolette could implore a system that would work better than Renneys would, if he had the ability to make a few changes. At least he would be more decisive and not change lines every period and most likely understand the true meaning of accountability.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Voted Laviolette, but it would be a much better choice if Sather wasnt around.

Any new coach you bring in will want to shift things around a bit and that means Sather will have to admit the architecture of this team is incorrect to a degree. Shoenfeld is probably the most logical decision to finish out the year because he comes from the organization, and then things could start fresh next year with a new coach.

But with that said, with this roster, i still think Laviolette could implore a system that would work better than Renneys would, if he had the ability to make a few changes. At least he would be more decisive and not change lines every period and most likely understand the true meaning of accountability.
Such as?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
BwayBshirt

I'm afraid at this point the only way a coaching change happens is if:

1. the home fans start loud, multiple "fire Renney" chants at upcoming home games.

2. Dolan goes to Slats and "suggest" a change like back in 2006-07 when it was rumored Dolan "suggested" to both he and Renney that the team get tougher after that Flyers loss.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
I'm afraid at this point the only way a coaching change happens is if:

1. the home fans start loud, multiple "fire Renney" chants at upcoming home games.
Why? This has really never worked before. In fact, I think there's a huge problem if personnel decisions are made based on Garden chants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
2. Dolan goes to Slats and "suggest" a change like back in 2006-07 when it was rumored Dolan "suggested" to both he and Renney that the team get tougher after that Flyers loss.
Dolan doesn't know a thing about hockey.