HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Coach Poll

View Poll Results: Who should coach the Rangers for the remainder of this season?
Jim Schoenfeld 23 18.55%
Peter Laviolette 24 19.35%
Ted Nolan 18 14.52%
John Tortorella 22 17.74%
Tom Renney 29 23.39%
Other (Explain) 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why? This has really never worked before. In fact, I think there's a huge problem if personnel decisions are made based on Garden chants.

Dolan doesn't know a thing about hockey.
1. I never said it would work out great but it has had a little impact before. At the very least the media takes full notice of it.

2. Dolan knew enough to wonder why Orr wasn't on the ice in that game or why the Rangers didn't push back. And for the rest of that season Orr was in the lineup.

The man doesn't know about hockey but he also isn't stupid enough not to ask questions.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
94now

Keep Renney. He's good and nothing is his fault. This team should have sank much sooner.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
1. I never said it would work out great but it has had a little impact before. At the very least the media takes full notice of it.
It's had an impact before? When? And so what if the media takes note of it. Brooks has been calling for Renney's head for 6 weeks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
2. Dolan knew enough to wonder why Orr wasn't on the ice in that game or why the Rangers didn't push back. And for the rest of that season Orr was in the lineup.

The man doesn't know about hockey but he also isn't stupid enough not to ask questions.
Never heard this before. I doubt that this was some great insight from Lil Jimmy. He might be smart enough to ask why the team wasn't winning. I can't see him being intelligent about hockey to question who is on the third line.

02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Torts

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
McMonster

Jim Schoenfeld

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:22 PM
DontStepanMe

For the Renney sniffers, who think that he is better than Lavs. This is what Lavs had to deal w/ the last two seasons. Do you honestly think Renney could have handled this?

the year after the cup they were missing Stillman, and only had 1 dman play all 82 games. In fact besides Commodore the next highest was Wesley w/ 68. There defense was injured the entire season. Plus the regular d-men just weren't that good to begin with. I mean look at the 06-07 roster. Forwards wise it was pretty good and solid but d-wise it was a disaster. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...009792007.html

and they still only missed the playoffs by 4 points. not too bad despite all the injuries.

07-08 - they were missing Cole, Whitney, Brindy, Cullen, Stillmen, and basically every forward for alot of time.

In fact only Staal played every game on the ENTIRE team. the next highest forward of significance was Cole w/ 73. that's an 8th of a season missed. In fact they only had 3 forwards play over 70 games at all. Staal, Letowski, and Cole. And again their defense was atrocious. Not really anybody who I would want to be on the Rangers except for Corvo.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...009792008.html

so yeah I actually think that the Rangers defense was better than them. plus we didn't deal w/ any of those injuries as the Canes did.

and again they only missed the PO's by 2 points last season despite all those injuries to their forwards.

If anything I think that Lavs overcame all those injuries and made them overachieve.

Imagine one season losing almost all our forwards in Drury, Gomez, Nazzy, Dubi, Cally for at least 14 games.

Imagine another season where only staal plays 82 games and the rest of the dmen shuffle around as you are always missing most of your d core.

Renney wouldn't even sniff the PO's if he had to deal w/ injuries like that. And that's even w/ the BETTER goalie in Lundy.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Such as?
Thats up to him to figure out in the confines of the salary cap.

Its a general statement, thats all...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
levski87

Why do people praise Tom Renney so much? Think about it for a second, what does he REALLY do thats so amazing as a coach?

1) We play a trap system, 1-2-2. EVEN if we fire Renney and our scoring woes are still there, we go back to playing this system. Its not like Renney was the master at working the trap.

2) PK = run by Pelino, but I'll give credit to Renney here a bit. If a new coach does come in, it might lower the PK, but I honestly doubt we would ever leave the top 5 in that category.

3) Renney CANNOT adapt to other teams. Its simple, Renney doesn't know how to counter opposing systems. Ever notice when aggressive teams play us we still play a 1-2-2 and just get pounded over and over in the boards, meanwhile we are playing passive on the forecheck. If a new coach comes in (Laviolette) for example, I'm sure he can at LEAST be able to impose a more aggressive system.

4) Anyone remember the Detroit game? The team played aggressive and opened it up vs the Stanley Cup Champions with a far superior roster than ours. We would have won if it wasn't for a fluke penalty.

5) Constant Line juggling by Renney is a stupid move. The guy can't have a few set lines for a week. How do you expect ANYONE to develop chemistry besides playing with set linemates?... It doesn't develop out of thin air or within a day.

My point is that even if Renney was to go, whats the worse that can happen? We open up the game and play more aggressive and lose 5-4? Losing is losing to me, but I rather watch us lose 5-4 then 1-0 while getting no offensive chances.

Second, IF our scoring woes aren't improving within a month and a half, we go back to playing the trap system of 1-2-2.

What no one seems to realize is that Renney doesn't do anything special for this team. We play a trap with a dump and chase. We can't break into the offensive zone, and our PP is horrible.

Renney is a very fundamental coach. He doesn't do anything amazing to warrant such praise from people. Besides his defense(which any other coach can copy as long as they play a 1-2-2), we have no offense or PP to actually win a game.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Imagine one season losing almost all our forwards in Drury, Gomez, Nazzy, Dubi, Cally for at least 14 games.
We'd go on a winning streak for 14 games.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Can the Rangers fire all three coaches, replace them with Redden, Gomez and Drury and start from scratch with a whole bunch of cap room?
Awesome idea!

I voted for Nolan. He's a bit unproven but has done well when he didn't have a lot. He always seemed like a well balanced coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Keep Renney. He's good and nothing is his fault. This team should have sank much sooner.
Now you just keep drinking the grape koolaid like a good little boy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
For the Renney sniffers, who think that he is better than Lavs. This is what Lavs had to deal w/ the last two seasons. Do you honestly think Renney could have handled this?
What was wrong with "For those of you who disagree with me"? Why are we 'apologists' or 'sniffers' or 'in denial'?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Nick00

The alternative to Renney being the wrong coach for this team is every single player on the roster being lazy and/or unskilled.
Which is obviously not the case.
You need to take a chance on another coach at this point, rather than just sitting back and watching the same miserable results happen over and over again.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What was wrong with "For those of you who disagree with me"? Why are we 'apologists' or 'sniffers' or 'in denial'?
sorry Trxjw... but to some people Renney can do no wrong, and that there is just no talent on this team and Renney is better than any coach available. These tend to be (not in all cases) but the same people who wanted Redden, or Malone, or Ryder, who didn't want Hossa or said he chokes when it counts, those who blamed everything on Jagr and Nylander, and tend to believe that Renney is the sole reason we make the playoffs, then change their minds once proven wrong. Therefore right now they are sniffin and if they we do fire renney and this team starts playing well again they will be the first ones saying that they wanted this to happen or badmouth renney etc.

Note that I did say not in all cases.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
We play a trap with a dump and chase. We can't break into the offensive zone, and our PP is horrible.
Wrong sequence. We can't break into the offensive zone, and our PP is horrible. Therefore we play a trap with a dump and chase.

Renney makes the best from material Slats handed to him. When we got Jagr we started playing dominant puck possession game. When Sather let Ruccin go and signed Cuillen (later replaced with similar player in Gomez) our second line switched to dump-n-chase. Now, when Jagr gone our 1st line doing that, while Zherdev tries puck possession. Regardless of how do we get in, once in the offensive zone we do not have size to protect the puck and our cycling fails quickly after start. That is why Renney uses what available and tries to score an ugly goals. This is a low level worse form of NA hockey. Jagr would be disgraced.

Last edited by 94now: 02-10-2009 at 02:58 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
It's had an impact before? When? And so what if the media takes note of it. Brooks has been calling for Renney's head for 6 weeks now.

Never heard this before. I doubt that this was some great insight from Lil Jimmy. He might be smart enough to ask why the team wasn't winning. I can't see him being intelligent about hockey to question who is on the third line.
It took me a while to find the thread but here it was almost 2 years ago:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ve+Dressed+Orr

I overexaggerated about the chanting but it would/will get attention by the media. Which will have others in other newspapers outside of the NY Post asking Renney more about his security. Which will lead to Sather having to answer similar questions about Renney eventually which Sather has apparently never had to do since the lockout. At this point if you're a fan who wants change it can't hurt. And I never have heard the fans start any such chants with authority during the lockout although they haven't had a reason to of course.

BTW, Brooks has never flat-out said "Fire Renney" during the last 6 weeks. He wants Renney to open things up like a lot of us do.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 02-10-2009 at 03:02 PM.
BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:06 PM
shoothepuck

I voted other, anyone Other than Renney.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

I voted for Torts to come in and kick some *****.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Any coach that can:

1) Get Zherdev to fulfill his huge potential.
2) Take years of Naslund.
3) Speed the development of Dawes, Dubinsky, Korpikoski and Callahan.
4) Rediscover the Wade Redden of three seasons ago.
I am one of those people who believe a coach can do all of those things and more. Renney killed Zherdev's game about 15 games in.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
sorry Trxjw... but to some people Renney can do no wrong, and that there is just no talent on this team and Renney is better than any coach available. These tend to be (not in all cases) but the same people who wanted Redden, or Malone, or Ryder, who didn't want Hossa or said he chokes when it counts, those who blamed everything on Jagr and Nylander, and tend to believe that Renney is the sole reason we make the playoffs, then change their minds once proven wrong. Therefore right now they are sniffin and if they we do fire renney and this team starts playing well again they will be the first ones saying that they wanted this to happen or badmouth renney etc.

Note that I did say not in all cases.
Can you point me to one single poster on this board who has stated that Renney can do no wrong or is better than any other coach?

These wild exaggerations add nothing to the conversation, and actually detract from it since they serve no purpose but to instigate. Same goes for the whole "I know that the Renney 'sniffers' will do/say x when y and z happens." You don't know that, and saying that you do only serves to frustrate Renney supporters such as myself with legitimate points. You can criticize Renney without painting the lot of us that support him as some sort of delusion, bandwagon hypocrites.

And I know you said "not in all cases," but unless you actually refer to specific posts/posters, what is the point?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pat Quinn.He was always a better coach than GM.Quinn is a better coach than any of those other guys.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
I am one of those people who believe a coach can do all of those things and more. Renney killed Zherdev's game about 15 games in.
So name him.

Oh, did you notice that Zherdev is on pace for the best season of his career?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
So name him.

Oh, did you notice that Zherdev is on pace for the best season of his career?
Why let facts get in the way? Only Gomez and Drury are under performing by any noticeable margin (10 points or so each), but that doesn't jive with the idea that we have offensive talent being suffocated by Renney.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
levski87

Fire Renney, tank and get Tavares. Would solve alot of problems

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Why let facts get in the way? Only Gomez and Drury are under performing by any noticeable margin (10 points or so each), but that doesn't jive with the idea that we have offensive talent being suffocated by Renney.
Cumulative individual stats are mostly irrelevant at this point. If you score 500 goals in one game, that doesn't excuse being shut out in the other 81 games. Sure you posted an NHL record for goals scored in a season but you also posted the worst record in NHL history.

In October we were leading the league in scoring. That isn't relavant now. We aren't scoring when it counts. We aren't scoring, period. The last time I checked, I think we led the league in being shut out. We are last in the league in scoring. There is clearly a problem at this point.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote