HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Coach Poll

View Poll Results: Who should coach the Rangers for the remainder of this season?
Jim Schoenfeld 23 18.55%
Peter Laviolette 24 19.35%
Ted Nolan 18 14.52%
John Tortorella 22 17.74%
Tom Renney 29 23.39%
Other (Explain) 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Schoenfeld here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Cumulative individual stats are mostly irrelevant at this point. If you score 500 goals in one game, that doesn't excuse being shut out in the other 81 games. Sure you posted an NHL record for goals scored in a season but you also posted the worst record in NHL history.

In October we were leading the league in scoring. That isn't relavant now. We aren't scoring when it counts. We aren't scoring, period. The last time I checked, I think we led the league in being shut out. We are last in the league in scoring. There is clearly a problem at this point.
There's absolutely a problem, no one disputes that. I'm of the belief that it's due largely to the players on the team being unable to score big goals, rather than the system neutering offensive output. If the system allows everyone to achieve their normal point production over the course of a season then the system ought to allow players to score goals when it matters. If players aren't scoring goals when it matters, to me it's a reflection of the inabilities of the personnel.

That seems to be the difference (in my eyes) between the Renney "sniffers" and the people calling for his head--poor personnel vs/ poor system.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
gravytrain6t

I'm not even sure Schoenfeld wants to coach. But those are all good choices (including Tom Renney). I don't like some of the things he has done here. But I guess he's been here long enough to warrant making a few mistakes himself.

This is a really tough one, not matter who the options are because if someone new comes in and the team doesn't play well, we'll be having another poll.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:48 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So name him.

Oh, did you notice that Zherdev is on pace for the best season of his career?
I can't currently vote so I decided not to post the coach:p

You have to be crazy to not see how explosive Zherdev was in the first couple of the games in the season. Renney's "defensive" system is holding him down.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Fataldogg

Tom Renney. Honestly I scratch my head at a lot of decisions he makes but I like the guy. We've been in the playoffs three straight years with him. It's nice to have some stability on the bench and in the organization after those seven years of well... I don't have to say. Firing Tom Renney would put as back to 2003-2004 Ranger hockey. I don't want that. He has a system, the Rangers can't play in it successfully. Everything can't be the coaches fault. You can't blame him for not being out there and scoring goals. The Rangers have to get the job done.

Adding a new coach won't change a thing. We still don't have the raw talent to be a quality team. That's the bottom line. You can't compare this situation to Washington where they became playoff contenders instantly. We don't have Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom, etc; the list goes on. We don't have that to work with. The only one you can blame this teams woes on is Sather. He is the one responsible for giving Renney so little to work with. A new coach coming in can't make Zherdev turn into Malkin or Gomez turn into Thornton or Drury turn into Mike Richards. It's just not realistic. The first person to be fired should be Perry Pearn (he hasn't earned a single paycheck), the second person should be Sather, and than we can start talking about firing Renney after that. But for now leave the guy alone.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Tom Renney. Honestly I scratch my head at a lot of decisions he makes but I like the guy. We've been in the playoffs three straight years with him. It's nice to have some stability on the bench and in the organization after those seven years of well... I don't have to say. Firing Tom Renney would put as back to 2003-2004 Ranger hockey. I don't want that. He has a system, the Rangers can't play in it successfully. Everything can't be the coaches fault. You can't blame him for not being out there and scoring goals. The Rangers have to get the job done.

Adding a new coach won't change a thing. We still don't have the raw talent to be a quality team. That's the bottom line. You can't compare this situation to Washington where they became playoff contenders instantly. We don't have Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom, etc; the list goes on. We don't have that to work with. The only one you can blame this teams woes on is Sather. He is the one responsible for giving Renney so little to work with. A new coach coming in can't make Zherdev turn into Malkin or Gomez turn into Thornton or Drury turn into Mike Richards. It's just not realistic. The first person to be fired should be Perry Pearn (he hasn't earned a single paycheck), the second person should be Sather, and than we can start talking about firing Renney after that. But for now leave the guy alone.
Quoted for truth.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Voted for Laviolette.
^^^^

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
DrewN

There's absolutely no excuse that Redden hasn't been benched once this season. Absolutely no excuse for that useless pylon Voros to be playing over Prucha after Pru has proven he deserves a regular spot every time he stepped on the ice this season.

Renney needs to go. I voted Torts but really, anyone of the choices listed would be better than Renney at this point.

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
There's absolutely no excuse that Redden hasn't been benched once this season. Absolutely no excuse for that useless pylon Voros to be playing over Prucha after Pru has proven he deserves a regular spot every time he stepped on the ice this season.

Renney needs to go. I voted Torts but really, anyone of the choices listed would be better than Renney at this point.
Hard to bench a guy when you've been carrying only 6 defensemen.

02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
DrewN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hard to bench a guy when you've been carrying only 6 defensemen.
That's no excuse. You call up an AHLer and bench the veteran with the cozy contract to prove a point.

If anyone deserves to sit at this point it's Wade. Did you see how that third-line Devil walked right around him (God I wish I remember the scrub's name, it certainly wasn't a top-sixer) and scooted to the front of the net for a scoring chance? It's ridiculous.

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

You can see into the future?

Yea because comparing good coaches like the poll options to coaches like Trots and Low means we are going to go back to 03-04.

Did you know the ISLES have almost exactly the same amount of goals scored then us...now does that mean the Isles have just as good as offensive players then us?? Not even close.

A new coach could bring in a offensive system that will lead to goals. We have Lundqvist in net, we dont need to focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE...we see how that works out when we don't have a superstar on offense.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 02-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Yea because comparing good coaches like the poll options to coaches like Trots and Low means we are going to go back to 03-04.

Did you know the ISLES have almost exactly the same amount of goals scored then us...now does that mean the Isles have just as good as offensive players then us?? Not even close.

A new coach could bring in a offensive system that will lead to goals. We have Lundqvist in net, we dont need to focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE...we see how that works out when we don't have a superstar on offense.
Honestly, this is my biggest and possibly only argument against Renney and I'm glad FLY said it.

A high-scoring offense this team is not. On par with the Isles? Significantly worse than a team like Florida? That's what bothers me.

Of course, I can only imagine what Sens fans feel right now being below us and the like.

EDIT: Just to add, the Panthers team shooting % is 9.6. The Rangers? 7.4

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:23 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
How would he STOP the habit, Is Renney supposed to jump on the ice during the game?

Are you seriously going to sit here and not give the players most of the blame for the failure of the power play?

Where is your praise for Renney for the OUTSTADING Penalty killing?
This kind of response is the main reason why I don't post that much. The other poster stated outright how Renney should STOP the bad habits of the overpaid stars. You snipping that part out of the quote doesn't change that. Renney won't bench anyone not named Prucha or Fritsche.

It's no different than students in my classroom. I can rant and rave all I want, but if I say something, the class ignores it, and I don't penalize them for ignoring it...they will keep on doing it. These guys already have their money. They have it for a lot of years. The only way you can even TRY to make them change their bad habits is to attack their pride and sit their butts down. Renney has refused to do that on any meaningful level for four years. Sitting Prucha doesn't send a message. If Renney wants to get the attention of his veterans, he needs to bench one or two of them, and slash their minutes (cutting ALL of the powerplay time). He won't do that...so they won't care what he says.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:22 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'd go with Schoney. The guy has experience, he brings fire, you would think he would be a guy that players would respond to. Granted, he hasn't actually coached in the NHL for a while, so that's a demerit, but he's already in-house so he might be a decent addition for the remainder of the season.

Pat Quinn is also somebody who I like. I thought he did a very good job in the WJC (of course it helps when you have guys like Tavares, Eberle, Subban, et al). Obviously he's older though, so it depends on if you want a fresh start or a veteran who can wake up the vets on this team.

An extreme wildcard for down the line, what about Bob Boughner? Remember him? He's coaching the OHL's Windsor Spitfires and has them dominating the league. He's younger and would possibly bring a new personality to the team. Now he owns the team, so he might not have interest in anything other than staying in the O, and there's no way on earth that you would thrust someone like that from Windsor to the NHL in the span of a couple of seasons, but it's something to at least consider.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:

I do think the Isles have better offense than us and a much brighter future right now. Are we blind to the talent of our players, does a contract of high proportions mean they're good? Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc; are no better than Weight, Guerin, Okposo, Hunter, etc; lets not ignore the talent there. We're not really better than them. Okposo and Bailey will be good players, they're going to acquire either Tavares or Hedman (depending on whether or not they win the lottery), they'll be better next season, they'll have more talent, and right now I'd place them a notch above us.

In terms of offense;

Doug Weight > Scott Gomez
Bill Guerin > Chris Drury
Okposo > Dubinsky
Hunter > Naslund
Streit > Mara, Staal, Girardi, Roszival, Redden, Kalinin, Reitz, etc;

Zherdev > Weight / Guerin / Okposo / Hunter

We have one legitimate good forward. I think the Isles have a better offense, sadly.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
snowcloud

Quote:

What FlyLine said. ^^^

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
I do think the Isles have better offense than us and a much brighter future right now. Are we blind to the talent of our players, does a contract of high proportions mean they're good? Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc; are no better than Weight, Guerin, Okposo, Hunter, etc; lets not ignore the talent there. We're not really better than them. Okposo and Bailey will be good players, they're going to acquire either Tavares or Hedman (depending on whether or not they win the lottery), they'll be better next season, they'll have more talent, and right now I'd place them a notch above us.

In terms of offense;

Doug Weight > Scott Gomez
Bill Guerin > Chris Drury
Okposo > Dubinsky
Hunter > Naslund
Streit > Mara, Staal, Girardi, Roszival, Redden, Kalinin, Reitz, etc;

Zherdev > Weight / Guerin / Okposo / Hunter

We have one legitimate good forward. I think the Isles have a better offense, sadly.
Doug Weight > Gomez? We are talking now, not in their primes. Weight has 60 points in the past 3 season (111 games), Gomez has 168 points in the last 3 seasons (203 games)

Past 3 seasons:
Gomez - .83 points per game > Weight - .54 points per game
Drury - .75 points per game > Guerin - .63 points per game
Naslund - .69 points per game > Hunter - .52 points per game.
Streit, yes is much better offensively then our defense.

Okposo 20 points in 41 games this season, Dubinsky 28 points in 55 games this season, in the future Okposo will be the much more talent player, but right now its not that far off.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
In The Flesh

I want Messier, mainly for ***** and giggles.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I forgot about Nolan. He'd be a very good coach for this team to be honest.

For met it's a tie between who I want more..Nolan or Shoeny.
I do like Nolan as a coach. In most cases he get's his players to over-achieve. BUT...he has a long history of not playing youth from with-in the system. And that just happened to be a huge sore spot with Nolan & the Islanders.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:30 AM
TylerDurden

I can't believe people would really vote for Nolan. This is the same guy that complained about the Rangers and defended Simon while trashing Hollweg for laying on the ice after he was assaulted by that piece of trash. He's the biggest coach complainer I have ever seen.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote