HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather / McPhee

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Sather / McPhee

Today, probably by default, Sather turned out to be George McPhee's worst enemy.

He pre-empted deals that WAS had hoped to close with:

a) Ottawa - in exchange for Kolzig. Ottawa could only take on one financial committment and choose DeVries over Kolzig. When Muckler settled on DeVries, McPhee was sent scrambling to unload Olaf. McPhee turned to Vancouver.

b) Van - McPhee was attempting to trade a package including Kolzig to Van for several players (Umberger, Cloutier, a mid-level prospect and a 3rd round pick). Vancouver felt they needed the address their forwards (even more exacerbated after Bertuzzi incident) and chose to deal for Rucinsky and Sanderson, rather then address the goaltending issue.

This could deal McPhee's fate - he was issued a directive by Leonsis to rid the Caps of Kolzig's salary.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Edge

funny, but this goes back to our discussion in another thread of how linked washington, ny and vancouver were as the deadline approached.

and i didnt even know about these two deals.

for more info check out the thread titles RJ Umberger, Park and i discuss the past two months worth of talks.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
funny, but this goes back to our discussion in another thread of how linked washington, ny and vancouver were as the deadline approached.

for more info check out the thread titles RJ Umberger, Park and i discuss the past two months worth of talks.
Exactly, and this doesn't mention how Sather forced McPhee's hand on Gonchar.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Park #2

Quote:

And also, it makes me think that if the interest in Carter was there, McPhee must have been kicking himself today when he was missing the chip to unload Kolzig.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Edge

yup.

sather and mcphee have been locked in this struggle since january and that was BEFORE the rangers decided to unload talent.

you've got the kolzig deal, the carter deals, the umberger deals.

like i said, it's the same teams that keep getting connected to each other.

the ONLY deal mcphee got a good return on, was the one sather walked away from {LA and Aulin} and even then he probably got the better return because he got a good young defenseman from ottawa from devries instead.

it's gonna be very interesting at the draft IF Pitts. decides to move their pick {big if} because these are exactly the two teams that are gonna be trying to pool their young assets into a package for that pick.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Park #2

Quote:
yup.

sather and mcphee have been locked in this struggle since january and that was BEFORE the rangers decided to unload talent.

you've got the kolzig deal, the carter deals, the umberger deals.

like i said, it's the same teams that keep getting connected to each other.

the ONLY deal mcphee got a good return on, was the one sather walked away from {LA and Aulin} and even then he probably got the better return because he got a good young defenseman from ottawa from devries instead.

it's gonna be very interesting at the draft IF Pitts. decides to move their pick {big if} because these are exactly the two teams that are gonna be trying to pool their young assets into a package for that pick.
Yeah... I wonder if McPhee will still be there. From what I understand, from multiple people, Pittsburgh has all but resigned to the fact that they are going to trade the pick or the player (post pick).

I think the Ottawa deal is far better then LA (Aulin).

Old
03-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Edge

at this point i really wouldnt be shocked if they did.

having said that my hope is the rangers dont overpay for the pick {i think their pick and two second rounders should be the limit}.

I'm not in favor of trading all of our picks on the top 60 for the number one overall.

of course it all depends on how this team plays down the stretch.

if they really bomb {which is very possible} they could finish as high as third reasonably.

if they win the lotto they are going to be very dangerous because not only will they have the top pick but they'll still have toronto's and a murder of second rounders.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
There's no two ways about it, Glen Sather in the last week or two has done his best work as a Ranger GM during his stay here.

I'm just not completely sold on the idea that next season's lineup is going to be rookie filled, mainly because Sather himself won't completely shoot down the idea that he won't look into FAs once the CBA is settled. Even if he did shoot it down, that doesn't say much anyway since he is still TLB.

So with all this good work and good direction we think Glen's finally taking now, we could potentially still end up with a opening night lineup of UFA signings.

Time will tell.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Edge

maybe, maybe not.

we didnt just trade one or two guys like the past, we REALLY cleaned house this time and that leads me to believe that sather might indeed sign some older guys, but the eye of this team is def. towards getting younger.

it took him too long, but sather is finally doing what should have been done in 2000.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Edge

mccarthy is a body to throw out there.

purinton might be the same at this point.

messier is gonna retire i think

and that leaves poti.

i dont hate him as much as some, so we'll call him a dust bunny. the house aint sparkling yet, but it's certainly smells alot less.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:02 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
I say the house is still dirty, we need to take out garbage like Poti, Messier, McCarthy and Purinton.
McCarthy is a body for 13 games (not directed at you just at everyone so surprisingly upset at the claim) ... he will be gone at end of season.

Purinton is another body ...

Poti is poti. Sather likes him ... you don't (i'm kinda mixed on him).

Please, PLEASE, for me (so I don't end up having to post another 2 page post in defense of Messier) lay off of the Messier is garbage ... treat him with a modicum of respect ... please? He's got 13 (12 after tonight?) meaningless games left in his storied career. Give the man a break. Please.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
Please, PLEASE, for me (so I don't end up having to post another 2 page post in defense of Messier) lay off of the Messier is garbage ... treat him with a modicum of respect ... please? He's got 13 (12 after tonight?) meaningless games left in his storied career. Give the man a break. Please.
I understand what you're saying and my only problem with that is I'm not sold on the idea that he's only got 13 or 12 meaningless games left in his stories career.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Park #2

Quote:
at this point i really wouldnt be shocked if they did.

having said that my hope is the rangers dont overpay for the pick {i think their pick and two second rounders should be the limit}.

I'm not in favor of trading all of our picks on the top 60 for the number one overall.

of course it all depends on how this team plays down the stretch.

if they really bomb {which is very possible} they could finish as high as third reasonably.

if they win the lotto they are going to be very dangerous because not only will they have the top pick but they'll still have toronto's and a murder of second rounders.
I think the Rangers two first rounders (Leafs) and Umberger whom they can sell in Pittsburgh would get the deal done.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Edge

i dunno if i'd really wanna pay that.

i like ovechekin but i am not totally sold on him being "the next one" and giving up two firsts and a prospect for him.

having said that, i WOULD be willing to give up our first, two seconds and lundmark for him.

but i really want that extra first round pick {maybe package it with another second to move up a little}.

besides i'd like to believe the seconds offer us flexibility to move in the first, not to necessarily give us a corner on the market of second rounders.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:20 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I think the Rangers two first rounders (Leafs) and Umberger whom they can sell in Pittsburgh would get the deal done.
It probably would, but i feel that trading lets say the fourth or fifth pick, the 25th pick and umberger (a former 16th pick) is overkill. Keep the picks, take the best player available and move on.

I just feel thats two much to give up to move up four or five spots.

Old
03-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I don't think the Pens do this trade, not because it's unfair, but because they would be trading one entry level contract for basically three entry level contracts. The way it is economically in Pittsburgh I don't see them willing to do that trade off, it dosen't make sense for a struggling franchise. Plus, if you want someone to sell in Pittsburgh there is nobody better than Ovechkin to do that. He's an exciting young player that will put fans in the seats, and a marketable player for them to use.

Old
03-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Edge

it buys them time.

ovchekin is playing in the nhl next season, getting a less polished kid buys you likely a year maybe more.

the contract isnt what will hurt pitts. its the bonuses they will end up having to give him.

same thing happened with fleury. it isnt the base contract it is the bonuses that hurt.

Old
03-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Hankenstein

Seriously, pitts is such a joke. Like others have stated, either fix your organization (i.e. get a new arena or move the team) or fold.

Heck if they do get Ovechkin I hope he puts up 70 goals, Fleury get 20 shutouts and they have a dispersal draft the next year due to the hit they will take from the bonuses.

Closed Thread