HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Feicht

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Recently, as in the past week or so, Bud — who has a well-known anti-man-crush for Barry Bonds — was all in favor of supporting his friend, Hank Aaron, and reinstating his HR mark as the career record and nixing Bonds.

Aaron has already came out and said that it's no longer his record and he's just No. 2 now.

Besides, do that, and how many records would have to be altered? Rocket's 300 wins? Raffy's 3,000 hits? Gagne's save streak? Many, many others we can go into, too, but I don't feel like typing out the list.

The easiest way to handle it is just say the era is tainted and hope it gets cleaned up for the future.

Yeah, I think in the end, the last 20 or so years will be our equivalent of the "dead ball era", only the opposite, and sort of sinister.

Old
02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Yeah, I think in the end, the last 20 or so years will be our equivalent of the "dead ball era", only the opposite, and sort of sinister.
Between steroids, the work stoppages and/or threats to stop, salaries, etc., this era will definitely be a forgettable one and the common thread is Bud Selig.

Old
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Feicht

Quote:
Between steroids, the work stoppages and/or threats to stop, salaries, etc., this era will definitely be a forgettable one and the common thread is Bud Selig.
He and Bettman should be banished to some horrible island somewhere. Preferably one of the ones in the Arctic the Soviet government used as a nuclear wastebasket.

Of course, knowing our luck, they'd both come back with super powers.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
He and Bettman should be banished to some horrible island somewhere. Preferably one of the ones in the Arctic the Soviet government used as a nuclear wastebasket.

Of course, knowing our luck, they'd both come back with super powers.
The Commissioners of Doom. Also including David Stern and Roger Goodell.

Anyway, here's a difficult question: Which commish between Selig and Bettman is worse?

I think the whole steroids mess makes Selig the one that's worse — for now.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Feicht

Quote:
The Commissioners of Doom.

Here's a difficult question: Which commish of the two is worse?

I think the whole steroids mess makes Selig the one that's worse for now.
Jeez, you're really gonna make me choose?

To be fair, I know a lot more about Bettman since I stopped caring about baseball around the time Selig became "legitimate" commissioner. Bettman expanded a league beyond its means in order to leave his own personal mark on it (think about it); was/is utterly lacking in knowledge on the sport; talks about making hockey "profitable" but by this he means dumbing down the sport so people who don't like it can follow along....

Selig meanwhile has allowed player contracts to get completely out of control and doesn't seem to care that 75% of the teams in the league can never hope to truly compete...has introduced Bettman-esque changes to the game that must have made Bettman smile (or gave him the ideas....grrrrrr). Has bumbled the hell out of this whole drug escapade...

Yeah I dunno, it's pretty close. But since I care about hockey and don't about baseball, Bettman is worse

Old
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Jeez, you're really gonna make me choose?

To be fair, I know a lot more about Bettman since I stopped caring about baseball around the time Selig became "legitimate" commissioner. Bettman expanded a league beyond its means in order to leave his own personal mark on it (think about it); was/is utterly lacking in knowledge on the sport; talks about making hockey "profitable" but by this he means dumbing down the sport so people who don't like it can follow along....

Selig meanwhile has allowed player contracts to get completely out of control and doesn't seem to care that 75% of the teams in the league can never hope to truly compete...has introduced Bettman-esque changes to the game that must have made Bettman smile (or gave him the ideas....grrrrrr). Has bumbled the hell out of this whole drug escapade...

Yeah I dunno, it's pretty close. But since I care about hockey and don't about baseball, Bettman is worse
I should main board this topic and see what people say. Would they be slanted towards choosing Bettman, since this is a NHL board? Or is Selig that bad?

Old
02-18-2009, 06:56 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
There will ALWAYS be cheaters in ANY sport.

The NFL has been proactive in trying to get rid of steroids and the like in the sport. But, Bud Selig and his cronies turned a blind eye to steroids back in the 1990s when they could have put stuff in place to try and deter the usage. Today, 'ol Bud is trying to save face and clean up the sport, making him a huge hypocrit.

That is why the two sports are viewed different when it comes to steroid use and quite honestly, it's justified. I don't advocate steroid use and the players who do it are wrong, but when 'ol Bud lets it happen, well, it's like having teens stay home alone for the weekend while the parents are gone, with a house full of alcohol: You tell me what's going to happen?
No dobut everyone in baseball is culpable and they deserve all the scrutiny and criticisim.

But the NFL (and media), despite the existing testing program, just shrug off (or bend over backwards) to explain away the suspensions of its players. And sometimes they give a major award to players who were suspended in that very same season (if you can't tell, I have a major hang-up on this Merriman thing ).

Also, a frequent cry in baseball is "what about the stuff we CAN'T test for?" Why is that call not put out in football? We're told PEDs always are evolving, but still football is just fine.

We all know why -- I just hate that it is total b.s.

Football (all sports, really) deserve a harsher look on this issue. Every major sport should be held to the fire on this.

Old
02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Appropriately timed article covering some of the positives and negatives of the NFL and performance enhancers:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...it-stay-there?

And another, getting into the issue of the Steelers teams of the 70s:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...rve-asterisks?

Old
02-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Appropriately timed article covering some of the positives and negatives of the NFL and performance enhancers:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...it-stay-there?

And another, getting into the issue of the Steelers teams of the 70s:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...rve-asterisks?
The Steelers do not deserve to be asterisked. The NFL acknowledged the era and moved on from it to be bigger and better. Everyone is able to accept it and understand it and go on.

Comparing that to MLB's current situation is apples and oranges, because of what we know now of Bud Selig and his cronies refusing to do anything about it. They had the chance to cleanse the sport and didn't, and now it's dirtier than ever, if not as dirty as cycling.

Really, the whole idea of trying to bring down the NFL a bit too much, in my opinion. On the previous comment of awards to roiders, that was tweaked that year so it wouldn't happen again. The NFL handled it that year. MLB, given its past history, would drag its feet.

And remember the HGH stuff when it first broke? The NFL was the first to do anything about it.

Congress talked to the NFL, and there's a reason the NFL got a pass. The NFL knows what its doing. Nothing is perfect, but the NFL is doing its best and works to stay ahead. But MLB is a joke, plain and simple.

Old
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Feicht

Quote:
I should main board this topic and see what people say. Would they be slanted towards choosing Bettman, since this is a NHL board? Or is Selig that bad?
Yep, that's my whole thing; if I gave a crap about baseball, I might hate Selig more. Interesting correlation: my cares about baseball ended right about when Selig took over as full-time commissioner

Old
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Bettman isn't half as bad as everyone around here says he is. The man has made some great decisions, in addition to some really bad decisions. Just because he doesn't want to add an NHL team in every Canadian city over 50,000 people doesn't make him a bad commissioner.

02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Feicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Bettman isn't half as bad as everyone around here says he is. The man has made some great decisions, in addition to some really bad decisions. Just because he doesn't want to add an NHL team in every Canadian city over 50,000 people doesn't make him a bad commissioner.

I agree that a lot of the bad rap he gets is largely because he ISN'T CANADIAN, and that's not really fair... but then again, when he only sees dollar signs instead of the value of the game itself, this is where I think the criticism is well-founded.

Old
02-24-2009, 11:40 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Is anyone else surprise at Lauranitus running a 4.8 40 at the combine? He always looked fast enough in games; but that a very poor time for a NFL linebacker, these days. In contrast, Freeman is testing very well. Watching him for four years, I would have thought that I could beat him on a pass pattern! To put that into perspective: Hitch, on skates, on a muddy field, could cover me!

This will be another good test of the different values placed on game film and combine scores. Should be interesting to follow.

Old
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Is anyone else surprise at Lauranitus running a 4.8 40 at the combine? He always looked fast enough in games; but that a very poor time for a NFL linebacker, these days. In contrast, Freeman is testing very well. Watching him for four years, I would have thought that I could beat him on a pass pattern! To put that into perspective: Hitch, on skates, on a muddy field, could cover me!

This will be another good test of the different values placed on game film and combine scores. Should be interesting to follow.
I'm not too surprised. I think Laurinitis is quick, but not fast. He has burst speed, but over distance, I don't think so. I did see that the mean time for a ILB like Laurinitis is something like 4.8, so he's not on the radar for a red flag.

Old
02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Hugg

Yeah, they said he did very well in the agility drills.

I hate how they overvalue 40 times anyway. They don't even run in pads.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Yeah, they said he did very well in the agility drills.

I hate how they overvalue 40 times anyway. They don't even run in pads.
To me, there's 40 speed and game speed. You can be the fastest guy in the world and run that 40 with flames popping up where your feet touched the ground, but if you don't have the vision on the field to see plays unfold and get your butt to the right place, that 40 speed means absolutely nothing.

Game speed is where you appear to be fast, but it's due to your vision of the game helping you get things done properly.

If you have vision AND 40 speed... look out!!!

Old
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Ramirez rejects Dodgers latest offer

PHOENIX (AP) — Manny Ramirez has rejected yet another offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Dodgers announced Thursday night the star outfielder’s agent Scott Boras had declined the offer — a $25 million, one-year contract with a $20 million player option for 2010 — the club’s fourth this offseason.

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt says he wants Ramirez back “but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves.”
General manager Ned Colletti and McCourt met Wednesday in Los Angeles with Boras.

The offer is similar to the two-year, $45 million deal with a buyout or club option that the Dodgers put on the table in November. Ramirez refused the offer and the Dodgers withdrew their proposal. The team came back with a one-year, $25 million offer, but Ramirez turned that down as well.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Mason4Heisman

About 40 times - Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 before his rookie year, but throughout his career coaches, team mates, and opposing players said he was the fastest player on the field on game day.

Scouts that put too much stock in how a player performs at the combine or at his school workouts need to realize that you have four years of play on the field that is a better indicator of a player's ability than any 40 time or bench reps.

Old
02-27-2009, 08:31 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Further reasons for me to depise Manny Ramirez.

Old
02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
$25 in one year and it gets turned down in baseball?

What a bunch of greedy ass holes.

Old
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Despise Manny? How is that possible? Manny's a blissful idiot who may be the best right-handed hitter of the last quarter century. I used to have season tickets in right field and watch him play a game with himself to see how long he could wait before a pitch to put on his glove! I'd love to see Manny back with the Tribe - but not for what his price is, these days! As for the contract issue, that's all Scott Boras. I doubt if Manny even knows what the offer on the table is worth - he didn't pick up a whole lot of education in NYC and I wonder if he reads English any better than he speaks it. Manny is a big kid who loves to play in the sun. Boras is Satan incarnate.

Does that help any?

Old
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Is A-Roid the Bertuzzi of baseball now?

Old
02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Despise Manny? How is that possible? Manny's a blissful idiot who may be the best right-handed hitter of the last quarter century. I used to have season tickets in right field and watch him play a game with himself to see how long he could wait before a pitch to put on his glove! I'd love to see Manny back with the Tribe - but not for what his price is, these days! As for the contract issue, that's all Scott Boras. I doubt if Manny even knows what the offer on the table is worth - he didn't pick up a whole lot of education in NYC and I wonder if he reads English any better than he speaks it. Manny is a big kid who loves to play in the sun. Boras is Satan incarnate.

Does that help any?
Sorry Pete, I don't buy it. I think Manny is a lot more cunning and intelligent than people give him credit for. That dumb and happy persona masks what lies beneath.

Old
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry Pete, I don't buy it. I think Manny is a lot more cunning and intelligent than people give him credit for. That dumb and happy persona masks what lies beneath.
You could be right, but all that cunning and intelligence would have to lie very, very, VERY deeply buried!

Old
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

On a different subject, congratulations to Jim Foster and his team for a fifth consecutive Big Te(leve)n Championship! Let's hope they perform a bit better in the tourney than they have in the recent past. This team looks much more athletic, deeper, and much quicker than the preceding ones, so I do have a bit more confidence in them. I enjoy women's basketball, quite a bit, and this is a very likable bunch.

Closed Thread