Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer of 2010's Impact on Trade Deadline/Summer of 2009

Old
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Summer of 2010's Impact on Trade Deadline/Summer of 2009

I hadn't thought about it much before, but do you realize how many free agents Dallas has in 2010?

RFA's
Loui Eriksson
James Neal
Matt Niskanen
Nicklas Grossman
Fabian Brunnstrom
Raymond Sawada
Mark Fistric - 2008 RFA
Tobias Stephan - 2008 RFA

UFA's
Stephane Robidas
Mike Modano
Marty Turco
Steve Ott
Toby Petersen
Krys Barch
Sergei Zubov - 2008 Free Agent
Jere Lehtinen - 2008 Free Agent
Brian Sutherby - 2008 Free Agent

Dallas already has $22,834,167 tied up in the 2010 season with all of these free agents. Plus, there are rumors that the cap could go down to $50 million.

What kind of money do you think Eriksson, Neal, and Brunnstrom are going to get? Kessel, Krejci, Clowe, and Booth could really push their numbers up with contracts they sign this year.

In regard to Niskanen, Gilbert got $4 million for one 30 point season in his mid 20's. Att 22, Niskanen is on pace for the late 30's in points, but his recent point explosion could push him over 40 this year if he keeps it up.

Dallas may want to consider throwing down some extensions this summer before Niskanen or Eriksson have a chance to repeat their 2009 performance.

Plus, doesn't it seem like it would be impossible to sign everyone? When you think about Morrow, Eriksson, Neal, and Benn, don't you get the feeling that Brunnstrom could be the odd man out? I think Dallas could seriously see Neal and Eriksson sign deals in the $3 to $4 million range. Makes that Avery signing even more stupid when you consider everything. Not that it needs any more proof about how dumb it was.

Furthermore, if they sign a guy like Bouwmeester (ever Dallas fans favorite free agent) how many of these guys can they realistically re-sign?

That $2 million tied up in Avery (re-entry) could be the difference of being forced to move Brunnstrom or Grossman or worse case scenario one of Eriksson or Neal.

I hate to say this because it justifies some of those ridiculous offers people have made for Avery, but if Dallas could trade his contract with a decent asset not a great one, wouldn't that be better than potentially losing a roster player because of cap issues? If not that, wouldn’t the buyout be a better option because it saves Dallas close to $600,000 against the cap in the 2010 season?

The co-GM’s are really going to earn their money over the next 17 months.

Last edited by BigG44: 02-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627

la la la la la i am not listening la la la la la!!!

That's so far away, no need to panic now! Scary just looking at all those names, lol

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:16 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

la la la la la i am not listening la la la la la!!!

That's so far away, no need to panic now! Scary just looking at all those names, lol
But it's not that far away. The decisions the team makes in the coming days regarding Avery, the trade deadline, and this summer will significantly impact the team’s ability to re-sign those key players.

Especially if the cap goes down to $50 million like many have claimed. Some are even reporting that it could go down again in 2011.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Loui Eriksson
James Neal
Matt Niskanen
Nicklas Grossman
Fabian Brunnstrom
Raymond Sawada
Mark Fistric
All long term contracts please, expect maybe Fistric. kthxbai

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dallas already has $22,834,167 tied up in the 2010 season with all of these free agents. Plus, there are rumors that the cap could go down to $50 million.

Plus, doesn't it seem like it would be impossible to sign everyone? When you think about Morrow, Eriksson, Neal, and Benn, don't you get the feeling that Brunnstrom could be the odd man out? I think Dallas could seriously see Neal and Eriksson sign deals in the $3 to $4 million range. Makes that Avery signing even more stupid when you consider everything. Not that it needs any more proof about how dumb it was.

I hate to say this because it justifies some of those ridiculous offers people have made for Avery, but if Dallas could trade his contract with a decent asset not a great one, wouldn't that be better than potentially losing a roster player because of cap issues? If not that, wouldn’t the buyout be a better option because it saves Dallas close to $600,000 against the cap in the 2010 season?

The co-GM’s are really going to earn their money over the next 17 months.
Hey G where did you find that 22 million number? The website I was at said 19.2 million and that was with Avery's 4 million still on the books. edit: I take it back that is not counting Avery and I'm assuming your number was so moving on...

I also think it is easier to list who we do have signed at this point...lol.

Richards 7.8
Morrow 4.1
Ribeiro 5
Daley 2.5
Vishnevskiy .765
Avery at some number to be determined

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...AL&season=0809

They might make some of the contracts end loaded. Normally not a fan of this practice but Richards 7.8 comes off at the end of that year. I have no idea what he would resign for but my guess would be ribeiro-ish numbers give or take some. And some time soon Lehts, Mo, and Zubie will retire. The three of them combined this year are 11.6 million. Here is hoping for the home town discount with these 3.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Hey G where did you find that 22 million number? The website I was at said 19.2 million and that was with Avery's 4 million still on the books. edit: I take it back that is not counting Avery

I also think it is easier to list who we do have signed at this point...lol.

Richards 7.8
Morrow 4.1
Ribeiro 5
Daley 2.5
Vishnevskiy .765
Avery at some number to be determined

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...AL&season=0809

They might make some of the contracts end loaded. Normally not a fan of this practice but Richards 7.8 comes off at the end of that year. I have no idea what he would resign for but my guess would be ribeiro-ish numbers give or take some. And some time soon Lehts, Mo, and Zubie will retire. The three of them combined this year are 11.6 million. Here is hoping for the home town discount with these 3.
Forwards2010-11
Brad Richards$7,800,000
Mike Ribeiro$5,000,000
Brenden Morrow$4,100,000
Jamie Benn$850,000

Defense2010-11
Trevor Daley$2,300,000
Ivan Vishnevskiy$846,667

Goalies2010-11

Re-Entry Waivers2010-11
Sean Avery$1,937,500

Totals2010-11
Forwards$17,750,000
Defense$3,146,667
Goalies$0
Waivers$1,937,500

Grand Total$22,834,167

I always get my numbers from Irish Blue's site Cap Central at Hockeybuzz. The most acurate information available. Check it out if you have some free time: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DAL

EDIT: I noticed your numbers are salary and not cap hit as well. So that is one reason for the difference.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Richards 7.8 comes off at the end of that year. I have no idea what he would resign for but my guess would be ribeiro-ish numbers give or take some.
Lets hope Richards is willing to take a pay cut. I'd like to see him end his career here. 5 mill seems about right, but still if we could, I'd like to see his lower than that. We'll see I guess. Not like he actually needs all that money.

Mo and Zubie will be retired for sure by then. The only way I see Mo coming back is if we're fresh off a Cup Finals visit (and lose) and it looks like we might have a shot again the next season. But even then, I still can't see him coming back.

Lehts might be gone by then as well, especially if he can't stay healthy.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:47 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I don't think it's that dire.

You'll have somewhere around 12 million coming off the books that summer, hopefully. (Mo and Zubie retiring plus letting Turco walk)

Fistric will be a regular on a cheap deal.

Like you said, some of them will get offered longer deals that should keep them below market value for a while and stagger the years you have free agents rather than all in a clump like we're headed toward now.

If worst comes to worst you could play hardball with some of these guys, offer 10%, and pray no offer sheets get thrown around since other teams will be dealing with potential cap squeezes themselves.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
plus letting Turco walk
Like that'll happen.

Is Bachman still sitting as our goalie for the future?

Old
02-11-2009, 12:54 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Like that'll happen.

He's not having as good a season statistically so he's not getting as much press.

He won't likely be ready for the 2010-11 season unless he plays at least next year in the AHL.

It doesn't seem likely that he would sign a contract this summer after taking a step back from his freshman year.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:02 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Yes, Bachman is the future. No, it doesn't matter if he's ready by the Fall of '10. ( <---- doesn't that look weird? You just say "ten"? That's going to be confusing) Just pick someone out of the goalie bargain bin.

And nhlnumbers is better because it has those little flags and I like looking at them.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I notice you left Sydor off your list of FAs to be.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
vofty

Quote:
Lets hope Richards is willing to take a pay cut. I'd like to see him end his career here. 5 mill seems about right, but still if we could, I'd like to see his lower than that. We'll see I guess. Not like he actually needs all that money.

Mo and Zubie will be retired for sure by then. The only way I see Mo coming back is if we're fresh off a Cup Finals visit (and lose) and it looks like we might have a shot again the next season. But even then, I still can't see him coming back.

Lehts might be gone by then as well, especially if he can't stay healthy.
Don't get me wrong I like Richards but right now he is the 4th highest cap hit in the league behind Ovechkin, Crosby and Sundin. No way he commands that kind of money, he better take a pay cut, especially with the cap going down.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Richards will have a pay cut the question is how much? For his production 5 million is reasonable. But if the cap does go down that year less money will be available and maybe he could be talked into a two year 4.5, 4.75 deal. It depends on if he still likes Dallas, wants to return to Tampa, or will flee for the highest bidder.

As for the defense, no offense to Robidas but I'll take my chances with the young guys. Just like I imagine they'll negotiate with with Neal for a deal that ends in 2014 or beyond like the locked up Morrow for. Paying him more earlier yet over the life of the contract would be less than premium money in the later years.

Eriksson could be the scary one. He's earning a well below market value of 1.5 next season. The kind of points he's putting up places him in the four million dollar range. That's a significant pay raise. At least he'll play through next year to ensure he continues the production but Eriksson maybe the one let go or traded in order to afford the others.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Like that'll happen.

We have Krahn so why do we need Turco.......

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
map94

I don't have access to my spreadsheet today, so I'm guessing a little here. In 2010, Neal and Niskanen won't be arbitration eligible yet, so that will affect their leverage for a big contract some at that point. Brunnstrom might not be arbitration eligible either, but I need to check him. I think you'll find most teams are in a similar situation two years down the road. The only reason this is standing out for us now is we actually have a good crop of young guys playing right now. We haven't had that happen in a long time.

I would expect to see at least a couple of these guys get extensions this off season.

I think it could be a good move to give a team a good prospect if they were willing to take Avery's full contract. I wouldn't give up Neal or Benn. But I would listen to any other offers.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
I don't have access to my spreadsheet today, so I'm guessing a little here. In 2010, Neal and Niskanen won't be arbitration eligible yet, so that will affect their leverage for a big contract some at that point. Brunnstrom might not be arbitration eligible either, but I need to check him. I think you'll find most teams are in a similar situation two years down the road. The only reason this is standing out for us now is we actually have a good crop of young guys playing right now. We haven't had that happen in a long time.
Of the main players, Eriksson and Grossman are the only arbitration eligible (per IB).

Quote:
I would expect to see at least a couple of these guys get extensions this off season.
I hope at the very least they lock up Eriksson on July 1st, 2009.

Quote:
I think it could be a good move to give a team a good prospect if they were willing to take Avery's full contract. I wouldn't give up Neal or Benn. But I would listen to any other offers.
Maybe Perttu Lindgren and a 3rd? Lindgren seems to have fallen behind Tom Wandell and Ondrej Roman in center depth. A team might see some value in him. I'd hate it, but maybe Sawada. Dallas Top 9 wingers look pretty set now (Morrow, Eriksson, Neal, Brunnstrom, Benn, Ott) and the future (Sceviour, Korostin, Roman (can play LW), Wandell (can play LW)).

I've seen a few reports that teams below NY may have some interest in him on re-entry. If that could heat up (maybe he plays amazing in the AHL), New York might be motivated to do it. I doubt it though with the high contracts they already have. It wouldn't make sense for Dallas to take one in return over the re-entry option.

Last edited by BigG44: 02-11-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
map94

I wonder how this works. Now that Avery is in the minors, if we traded him to another team, would he still have to go through recall waivers to be placed on the NHL roster? If so, trading him is really hard.

I guess they could trade him to a third team with some prospects/draft picks, then that team puts him on recall waivers and the Rangers pick him up. The third team esentially would be buying some prospects/draft picks.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
BigG44

Quote:
I wonder how this works. Now that Avery is in the minors, if we traded him to another team, would he still have to go through recall waivers to be placed on the NHL roster? If so, trading him is really hard.

I guess they could trade him to a third team with some prospects/draft picks, then that team puts him on recall waivers and the Rangers pick him up. The third team esentially would be buying some prospects/draft picks.
I never thought about that.

I'll ask IB.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I am not too worried about it, I think eventually we will be able to lock everybody up

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
That's your problem right there. You're using a crappy, inaccurate site to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
And nhlnumbers is better because it has those little flags and I like looking at them.
Maybe they'll put up pink flamingos and little cocktail umbrellas, too - and some flashing lights for added effect. It doesn't hide the fact that the information there is inaccurate and half-assed, and the person who runs it honestly has no clue how the cap works beyond what he ripped off of my site ... but if you like "it looks pretty" over "it's really damn accurate," more power to you.

Quote:
Yes - if the Stars traded Avery now, it would be like the Melichar trade to Tampa earlier this month. The acquiring team would be responsible for bringing Avery out of the minors and having him clear recall waivers - not the Stars.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Yes - if the Stars traded Avery now, it would be like the Melichar trade to Tampa earlier this month. The acquiring team would be responsible for bringing Avery out of the minors and having him clear recall waivers - not the Stars.

Thank you.

Old
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Maybe they'll put up pink flamingos and little cocktail umbrellas, too - and some flashing lights for added effect.
That's not a bad idea.

Old
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Chad_

It tastes like stale beer in here.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Of the main players, Eriksson and Grossman are the only arbitration eligible (per IB).
Brunnstom signed at 23 years old. According to the CBA, a player signing at 23 is arbitration eligible after 2 seasons.

Fistric signed at 19 and will play his 4th professional season next year. According to the CBA, a player sigined between 18 and 20 is arbitration eligible after 4 professional seasons. So, he should also be arbitration eligible in 2010.