HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez on NHL live now

Old
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Gomez on NHL live now

I know everyone hates him and whatever but I just thought I'd let you know so don't shoot the messager.

He's supposedly coming on after the current commerical break.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont hate him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
josra33

I don't hate the man he is just overrated. Or he was prior to coming to New York. The reason he excelled in New Jersey was because he was part of a unit that relied on each other to succeed. That is one locker room I would love to be in because everyone knows their job and everyone does there job. His job back then was to score goals and set up goals. Mission accomplished. When he came to NY he expected to fill a role without the necessary support. In Jersey he had the support. In NY he doesn't. Simple as that.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
I don't hate the man he is just overrated. Or he was prior to coming to New York. The reason he excelled in New Jersey was because he was part of a unit that relied on each other to succeed. That is one locker room I would love to be in because everyone knows their job and everyone does there job. His job back then was to score goals and set up goals. Mission accomplished. When he came to NY he expected to fill a role without the necessary support. In Jersey he had the support. In NY he doesn't. Simple as that.
Hes not overrated, hes overpaid. And his job was never to score goals, it was to set them up....quite a difficult task with this ensemble of wingers.

Old
02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not overrated, hes overpaid. And his job was never to score goals, it was to set them up....quite a difficult task with this ensemble of wingers.

Exactly. Well said.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
And he's still tied for the team league in assists and his the guys he's played the most with is leading the team in goals.

02-12-2009, 01:47 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
yea i know..i feel awful for the guy

he had a chance to play with that hack jagr
he had a chance to play with zherdev, who is clearly the LEAST talented player on this team
he's playing with naslund who obviously sucks
he had shanny who has one of the weakest shots and slowest releases of all time

if we only had a player of elite caliber to play with him.....like brian gionta or someone with actual talent because those guys i listed above are just awful.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
ThirdEye

He at his best when his wingers are driving to the net with him. Unfortunately, most of the time our wingers are trailing behind him, which screws everything up. His shots result in some decent rebounds, but there is never anyone there to put them in the net.

He's not worth his contract, but when he's hot and his wingers are cooperating he makes a lot of things happen. If we had a legitimate first line center there wouldn't be nearly as much criticism of him. Just because some people expected him to fulfill the role of a true number 1 center doesn't make it so

I agree that with New Jersey his player supplemented him much better. Both Gionta and Elias could score goals, so there wasn't nearly as much pressure on him. There are probably 10 teams in the league that would take him in a second if his contract was just a little more reasonable - something like 5 million.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:01 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

he had a chance to play with zherdev, who is clearly the LEAST talented player on this team

if we only had a player of elite caliber to play with him.....like brian gionta or someone with actual talent because those guys i listed above are just awful.
None of these players, except for maybe Shanny, compliment his style. Naslund and Zherdev are perimeter players, as was Jagr for the most part when Gomez got here. Shanny, while still having a good shot, was just too slow at that point in his career.

A guy like Callahan compliments him perfectly, but he isn't really someone like Gionta who can explode for 50 goals.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
None of these players, except for maybe Shanny, compliment his style. Naslund and Zherdev are perimeter players, as was Jagr for the most part when Gomez got here. Shanny, while still having a good shot, was just too slow at that point in his career.

A guy like Callahan compliments him perfectly, but he isn't really someone like Gionta who can explode for 50 goals.
I'd also add that he really hasn't played much with Zherdev.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Gomez needs Phil Kessel.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:

Whatever bro----what team have you been watching. Pfffttt. Whatev.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Remind me what Jagr and Shanahan have to do with THIS ensemble of wingers again? But if you want to go that route, dont forget to mention how Gomez lead the team in assists last year and would have lead the team in points if not for a rib injury.

As for this year, well, a declining Naslund is leading the team in goals playing primarily with Gomez. And Zherdev? Well, first of all, Zherdev is my pick for the most overrated Ranger. Secondly, I think its pretty evident that hes more of a playmaker than a finisher.

Old
02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It isn't just about points and assists. He's not even that far off from his regular output. It's about his overall play, and that play isn't very good. He's a stupid player. He makes really bad mistakes almost every game. He makes the wrong play more often than he makes the right one. And this was all true last season as well. He simply got more points last year so no one cared. This has been true his entire career, long before he became a member of this club.

He is such a frustrating player to watch. He is such a detriment to the team overall.

I'm not saying it's his fault. It's obviously Sather's, but I really get tired by people defending him. He deserves every bit of criticism he gets. He has been terrible.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

someone should ask gomez why he continues to take pucks where they shouldnt go- hello dallas game?, why he passes when he shouldnt, why we rarely get a shot off when he leads an odd man rush, why he continues to pass to no one, why he shoots high and wide all the time and finally, why he has sucked so bad most of this season.

would love to hear his answer.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Did Gomez say anything interesting? This thread has turned into a is gomez good or not thread. What'd he say?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Did Gomez say anything interesting? This thread has turned into a is gomez good or not thread. What'd he say?
Not really. Pretty much the standard "No more excuses" and "Everyone on the PP is embarrassed, but i think we're moving the puck better than we did."

They did ask him about Avery, and he seemed as though he was choosing his words pretty carefully.

Old
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

did he make any wardrobe comments?
that gomez fella is oh so clever!

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

so what did he say?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
did he make any wardrobe comments?
that gomez fella is oh so clever!
Yes he did. He said that Jim Dowd should get some suits that fit. Dowd countered by saying Gomez dresses like a school teacher.

Old
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

gimme a break dude,
-Jagr and Gomez were simply too players that didn't mesh. The fact that the only center Jagr could play with was Dubinsky paints that picture perfectly. Wonder if we would've had Blair Betts as the 1st line center if Dubinsky didn't work...
-Z has been good but he's really hot and cold, there are stretches of time where he seems to just lose his game. He's still developing.
-Naslund is out of his prime. He's on pace to score about 30 goals I'd say. Not bad for his age or the point in his career by any means.
-Shanny-Gomez-Avery was the best line Gomez has ever been a part of, and even then you can't tell me Shanny belonged in any team's top 6 at the level he was at last season. Avery really didn't belong either. They made it work fairly well.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
Very well put. If the Rangers can play hockey games the rest of the way like they did last night, becoming a unit as well as each player learning what their role is, will just slowly materialize. Last night against the Caps, they played like a desperate team from the get go. They could have easily lost in the shootout but it was a big improvement compared to the loss against Atlanta, where we could have easily won the shootout. 20 minutes a time of busting your ass. IMO, that's more of what Renney should be preaching. Instead of all this "attention to detail."

I never heard that phrase used so much, except for when Renney got here. And I don't dislike him either. But even if a player doesn't know his current role on the Rangers now. Or is coming in and out of the lineup. Nothing is a better substitute than consistent hustle and hard work.

I'm certainly not going to say that everything said by Stan Fischler is "dead on" correct. But I think that was the point he was trying to make with a Jagr- less team. That instead of the offense (especially) being revolved around Jagr, the Rangers would build more confidence and gel, while working as a team, and develop into a cohesive unit without Jagr being the focal point and the rest of the team revolving around him. This includes all of the high priced players.

So with that being said. If the Rangers had the opportunity to grab Jagr again for the rest of the year, next year and possibly the year after that, I would have to say I'll take him. He's got too much skill to pass up. So I agree with Stan but then again I don't.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

That is the reason i was begging them to sign Ryder in the summer, instead of Naslund.

Ryder's style would have been perfect for Gomez.

Great shot off the rush.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
someone should ask gomez why he continues to take pucks where they shouldnt go- hello dallas game?, why he passes when he shouldnt, why we rarely get a shot off when he leads an odd man rush, why he continues to pass to no one, why he shoots high and wide all the time and finally, why he has sucked so bad most of this season.

would love to hear his answer.
Everyone continues to love to hate Scott Gomez. And this team as we can see is not the most explosive team in the league offensively. He makes mistakes yes? If you're going to ask him why he does that. Maybe I can help by saying everyone makes poor decisions at times. The Dallas game is over. He made 1 or 2 mistakes in that game but I wouldn't single out anyone in a game where a team loses 10 to 2.
Sometimes we rarely get a shot off when we have an odd man rush because many Ranger players shoot the puck wide consistently or a save is made. Sometimes there really is nothing there so he elects to shoot. Maybe Renney tells him to shoot more.
I don't really know about him shooting high and wide all the time and passing to no one. I see him shooting a lot more and his shot is far from the hardest in the league but anything can happen. Perhaps even a rebound or a deflection.
The reason why I don't single out Gomez is because what ever little offense we have, typically comes from 3 guys, as no one has more assists in fewer games than Gomez. Nas isn't close to being in any type of "Rocket Richard Trophy" race yet no one has more goals and I don't think Zherdev will win the "Art Ross" trophy this year, yet he leads the team in points.
We have a terrific goal tender, a solid defense and the offense is sub par. Gomez is just a piece of the puzzle. It would help if we had another bruising defense man and possibly a guy who can knock in some more goals. If the price seems fair enough, maybe Sather will make a deal before the deadline.
Pittsburgh has two of the most potent scorers in the league yet as of right now they're looking up at us. With Fleury back, this all could change but who knows?
As much as Devils fans won't admit it. He wasn't a problem in New Jersey. He was a piece of the puzzle in winning 2 Stanley Cups. If he was so disliked, he simply wouldn't have lasted there. Finally, for one night we got some production from are younger kids. If this happens a lot more frequently, Gomez will probably make less mistakes and put up more points. He's not a Jagr type player, where you build the team around him. He's been doing this year, what he's been doing since his rookie season. Nothing more. Nothing less.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote