HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/11 The NY Rangers vs The Washington Capitals: The Man Up Edition

Old
02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
mti79

vCash: 500
I thought it was an overall good game for us... I liked the play of the lines for the most part. I would make one change though, but I'm not looking to start arguments....

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund: I thought they played really well together and were quick. Give them some time to gel and they may well produce.

Korps-Drury-Cally: Talk about a high flying energy line. I liked the up tempo pace they played and they generated offense too. YAY!

Sjo-Betts-Orr: 4th line is the 4th line. Solid play and an occasional offensive chance.

I'd like to see our healthy scratch in on the left with Dubi-Zherdev: I thought that line played very well together and generated lots of speed and offensive chances. Give them more than 2 games and see what happens.

Whatever they decide to do, play with the energy they did tonight. Shoot the puck, crash the net.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Rangers WIN!? 5 Goals!?

Yatzi!

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Rangers WIN!? 5 Goals!?

Yatzi!
well it was 4 real goals, but i take it anyway

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:21 AM
DrewN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
They had one PP that looked good. Then they went back to the crap they always do. The only movement they had on the 5 on 3 let to two rangers getting in each others way.

They really are lost out there. Pearn has no excuse.
PP looked like garbage as usual. A double minor and a 5 on 3, and all they came up with was a facepalm

Someone needs to remind this team that there are no shootouts in the playoffs.

Other than that we got two points, woo.

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Decent game....... at least they won. I saw Sather walking out of the garden as I was going in, I should have thrown my shoe at him. He looks like he is off in la la land. I left the game with 2 mins left of the 3rd period cause my buddy has a bum knee, walk into the Meyers parking Garage, and standing there before me is Ron Dugay. Very nice guy. Shook my hand and bull****ted for a hot sec. He didn't seem to happy with the team tho. He said, "Still 4-4?" I said, "yep" then he gave me a they'll probably loose look. Man that guy looks great for his age. I was going to touch his hair to see if he got mad but...... didn't think it would be cool lol.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I thought it was an overall good game for us... I liked the play of the lines for the most part. I would make one change though, but I'm not looking to start arguments....

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund: I thought they played really well together and were quick. Give them some time to gel and they may well produce.

Korps-Drury-Cally: Talk about a high flying energy line. I liked the up tempo pace they played and they generated offense too. YAY!

Sjo-Betts-Orr: 4th line is the 4th line. Solid play and an occasional offensive chance.

I'd like to see our healthy scratch in on the left with Dubi-Zherdev: I thought that line played very well together and generated lots of speed and offensive chances. Give them more than 2 games and see what happens.

Whatever they decide to do, play with the energy they did tonight. Shoot the puck, crash the net.
In my pefect world the line of Korps, Drury , Cally stay together.........I always thought those 3 would work together since they are all similar, very good Defensive forwards with some offenseive upside like the showed in this one............just keep the 4th together so their is 2 lines.............it seems Dubi and Zherdev are together and htey re just trying to find that winger with them.........hello Sean Avery?

Then it looks like Gomez and Naslund are toghether, we all know this is where they need a big deal for someone, I will take Tkachuk

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Have to build on the positives

02-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
Decent game....... at least they won. I saw Sather walking out of the garden as I was going in, I should have thrown my shoe at him. He looks like he is off in la la land. I left the game with 2 mins left of the 3rd period cause my buddy has a bum knee, walk into the Meyers parking Garage, and standing there before me is Ron Dugay. Very nice guy. Shook my hand and bull****ted for a hot sec. He didn't seem to happy with the team tho. He said, "Still 4-4?" I said, "yep" then he gave me a they'll probably loose look. Man that guy looks great for his age. I was going to touch his hair to see if he got mad but...... didn't think it would be cool lol.
Sather...Duguay...does anybody actually WATCH the games?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Thanks. It doesn't seem to even load up for me which is weird. I guess im just gonna listen. The game sounds great!
Next time try justin.tv they pretty much always have at least one game a night

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Fletch

not a pretty win, but it's a win. Hopefully this is the start of a trend and not a blip. It's nice to see some scoring; not so nice to see the goals given up. But, two points, at home, is two points at home and it ends a pretty ugly streak and positions the team for a push. I do have to bring up a negative: the PP. They really need to right that ship. Seems as though they were on the PP for 1/2 the third period and couldn't put it away. On the positive: Ovechkin was held to an assist - but man, did he really tally 13 hits?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Korpikoski's playing a great game so far.
He's only what, 22, 23? Excellent Hockey player.

In fact, look at who scored the points last night, LK/Cally/Dubi/Dawes/Staal - lots of young names on the scoresheet.

Hmm, but I dont want to laugh at all the posters on HF community that told me years ago that Mike Green was too small for a first round Dman

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
our pp is a joke.
Easily the worst part of our game last night.

No killer instinct and everyone stands around instead of moving. Like I said yesterday, we need someone selfish on the PP, no more of this obvious passing and shooting.

Old
02-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

actually a decent game to watch tho really
You mean it wasn't boring?

Where are the boring birds today?? Come out and chirp away....

Old
02-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You mean it wasn't boring?

Where are the boring birds today?? Come out and chirp away....
I only caught glimpses of the game, but it was noticeable the guys were skating harder. Perfect example was Naslund's goal, both he and Dawes hauled ass to make that one happen.

NYR team trying harder = not so boring

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I only caught glimpses of the game, but it was noticeable the guys were skating harder. Perfect example was Naslund's goal, both he and Dawes hauled ass to make that one happen.

NYR team trying harder = not so boring
Trying is the wrong word.

Like on the PP. They are trying but they use the wrong execution. Don't stand around looking to make the perfect pass, move around and finesse the pass into lanes or into traffic. Its not about effort, i think the effort is there, its the execution that has to be consistent.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Easily the worst part of our game last night.

No killer instinct and everyone stands around instead of moving. Like I said yesterday, we need someone selfish on the PP, no more of this obvious passing and shooting.
um. no. not selfish, purpose. big difference.

we need a coach or coaches who actually put out a pp unit with some purpose. and then make changes if certain players produce nothing. in fact, the pp should be a REWARD for skating hard and playing with fire. if you got guys going, like cally and korp were last night, reward them. instead, dopey and his sidekick goofy, go back to the same vets who have done nothing all season.

any pp unit with rozy and redden at the points will get you- shots not taken. too many extra passes. blocked shots. weak shot attempts and zero production. period.

and having gomez anywhere near the pp will get you missed nets, passes to no one and turnovers in the neutral zone along with minimal production.

the problem is the coaches continuing to put those same clowns out there that have done nothing the whole season on the pp. its more of the same with these coaches and thats why many of us want them fired.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Garv23

First off...why do you few wishing the Rangers lose even bother coming here? I don't post here much, but I do read it often and it's embarassing. Seriously, I hate 'fans' like you.

That was a fun game to watch last night. Good stuff! I wanted to choke Gomez for that penalty he took early while the Rangers were rolling and our PP is disgusting still, but it was finally a good effort by the whole team. This IS a good team when they play like they did last night.

And fight fans...

Notice Orr not going in like a rabid, swingin' gorilla since the Goddard fight? This guy, I believe, can beat anyone in the league. Especially when he tosses em patiently like he did last night against Brashear and the other night against Rupp. WTG Orr!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
An early sign of schizophrenia is repetition of speech
um. no.

an early sign of needing to be removed as head coach is repeating the same stuff that doesnt work.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
um. no.

an early sign of needing to be removed as head coach is repeating the same stuff that doesnt work.
We'll see .

Old
02-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
um. no. not selfish, purpose. big difference.

we need a coach or coaches who actually put out a pp unit with some purpose. and then make changes if certain players produce nothing. in fact, the pp should be a REWARD for skating hard and playing with fire. if you got guys going, like cally and korp were last night, reward them. instead, dopey and his sidekick goofy, go back to the same vets who have done nothing all season.

any pp unit with rozy and redden at the points will get you- shots not taken. too many extra passes. blocked shots. weak shot attempts and zero production. period.

and having gomez anywhere near the pp will get you missed nets, passes to no one and turnovers in the neutral zone along with minimal production.

the problem is the coaches continuing to put those same clowns out there that have done nothing the whole season on the pp. its more of the same with these coaches and thats why many of us want them fired.
ok....if you take naslund, gomez, drury, redden, rozsival, zherdev, dubinsky, voros, mara, and girardi off the power play who are you putting in to take there place?

The only player that shouldn't get consistant time is voros....you want to play korps and callahan on the power play.....i'm down with that but to remove both gomez and drury would be insane....i mean the rangers NEED those two players to get going on the power play....They NEED them too.....

Btw does the coach not coach the team into a great defensive system that normally doesn't give up many goals? What about the penalty kill? Do you think the coaches don't get involved with that?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I would take Redden off and just see what happens. Try Staal. Use Z on the point. Put Gomez up there and see what happens.

I just feel the less responsibility Redden gets, the better right now.

02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I would take Redden off and just see what happens. Try Staal. Use Z on the point. Put Gomez up there and see what happens.

yup. I feel the same way.

$6.5 million just doesn't buy you what it used to anymore.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Fletch

I would also take Redden off. It's just not working. You have Mara, Girardi, Rozsival and Staal - figure out a way to get them all out there. Play Mara for a little bit more on the PP so you don't have to rely much on Staal. At least try it and take the pressure of one PP point since November 19th off his back for a while. I mean one point - how doesn he continue to get PP time?

As for the rest of the crew, I've outlined my success for the PP, and I'll do it again. Nothing's perfect, but my thoughts have always been: Drury-Gomez-Zherdev - combines the top two playmakers with the best right handed, one-time and garbage goal-getter on the team who had a lot of success on the left side in the past. Overload the first PP unit with talent and play them more than the other unit - every other successful PP does it. The second unit has Naslund-Dubi-Cally. Drury and Naslund should get equal time. Gomez should get more than Dubi. Zherdev should get more than Cally. He's a very good playmaker and a good one with space - he should not be playing with two guys who have combined for 37 career NHL goals. You don't spread out the wealth on the PP - you overload it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Totally agree, Redden's not doing anything to help that PP.

And I definitely think they should try a forward on the point. Considering how bad the PP's been, I can't believe they haven't tried it yet. I mean, even on the 5-on-3, Redden and Rozy are out there on the points, you gotta have at least 4 forwards out there in that situation.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
yup. I feel the same way.

$6.5 million just doesn't buy you what it used to anymore.
It does if you spend it wisely. Unfortunately, Sather risked that amount on a guy he was betting would bounce back with a change of scenery.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote