HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun Blog ESPN

Old
02-11-2009, 06:54 AM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Pierre LeBrun Blog ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

pretty much acknowledges what we've discussed for months here. Sather put us in cap hell, he's at majority fault for the current state of the team. we'll be lucky just to make the playoffs let alone get any home ice...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Also worth noting they call Renney a "great coach" and say his situation has become "bogus" in regards to his apparent lack of job security.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Bla blah blah

enough of this sky is falling crap. This team has talent. Man up and win some games

02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
ivrydov

Montreal has an excuse, the Rangers don't. They've been hit with injuries to their key players, the latest being Lang. If some of our key players were thrown under the bus (figuratively of course) we'd actually be better off, such as, first and foremost Redden. Or maybe they should be sent for a heart transplant.

The way out for Sather if they don't turn this around, and I am still hopeful they do, is to do what they did with Kasparaitis. Dump them in the minors.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
In New York, there are whispers about Tom Renney's job as coach. That's bogus in our mind. The man is a great head coach. He didn't get stupid overnight. It's his boss who deserves much of the blame. Sather was a busy man last summer, but the moves have so far not worked in the least.
Brought a tear to my eye.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Brought a tear to my eye.
Same here! A lot of us are bitter and direct a lot of vitriol towards Renney, so it's nice to see he's still properly recognized elsewhere.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Levitate

They just really shouldn't have signed Redden to the contract he got.

I don't mind Reddens play, he's normally solid out there and does just fine, but that doesn't justify a $6.5 mill cap hit. If he was making $3 mill then it'd be a different thing entirely.

The Rangers were probably better off using that money on a forward

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
ThirdEye

I really think it's a moot point that Renney technically shouldn't be the one at fault because of his previous success. The fact still remains that the team has lost him. Ok, most of these players are overpaid and are underachieving big time, but you can't just trade all of them (gee I wonder why). You have to try and do something to cover up this mess

Maybe they will come out of the slump, but if it continues a coaching change is really the only thing that can save this season. Sather should lose his job as well, but that really won't have any immediate impact on anything

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Fletch

agree 100% Levitate - Brooks makes a great point in today's Post - Redden has one 5-on-4 point in the last three months. Wow, just friggin' wow.

I think a lot of us were pointing to Sather at the beginning of the season. Personally, I didn't like the lineup to start the season. And I mean I just didn't like it. I didn't understand Redden; I didn't understand Rissmiller - I mean, I really didn't get it; I wasn't ready to hand the team over to Gomez and Drury - thinking two A's don't make a C, but that's another debate. Sather does deserve more attention from the critics than Renney - but he's never seen; rarely heard from - and Renney, and the guys you see on TV everyday, are the ones who receive the attention (out of sight, out of mind).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I really think it's a moot point that Renney technically shouldn't be the one at fault because of his previous success. The fact still remains that the team has lost him. Ok, most of these players are overpaid and are underachieving big time, but you can't just trade all of them (gee I wonder why). You have to try and do something to cover up this mess

Maybe they will come out of the slump, but if it continues a coaching change is really the only thing that can save this season. Sather should lose his job as well, but that really won't have any immediate impact on anything
I pretty much agree, Third. I said it in a thread the other day: I like Renney, think he's a great coach, and think he's done a tremendous job with this team over his tenure. However, it's probably time to move on, even though I'm not sure if it's the best possible move for the team.

I just take issue with the posters here that call Renney incompetent and place the blame for our struggles solely on his shoulders.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

Nothing will turn this team into something it's not. Most agreed at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a borderline playoff team, possibly a 6 seed if there was some unexpected magic. That seems to be coming to fruition.

There is no question that Sather should lose his job, but I don't think Renney has to go with him.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Levitate

I might be overreacting, it's a little hard to tell at this point, but part of me wouldn't mind seeing some huge trades that shake up the team. Along the lines of Gomez or Drury getting shipped out.

It'd be hard to do though

Old
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Nothing will turn this team into something it's not. Most agreed at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a borderline playoff team, possibly a 6 seed if there was some unexpected magic. That seems to be coming to fruition.

There is no question that Sather should lose his job, but I don't think Renney has to go with him.
Nah, I think most people had no idea what the Rangers were going to do this season. Everyone likes to say 'well they lost Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, and Avery' and while that is true, it's not like this team was a scoring machine in 07-08. Bottom line is everyone knew there was going to be a ton of turnover and when that happened, I don't know how you could expect anything.

Sather should lose his job first, but he is Dolan's boy and that's just not the way the accountability ladder works.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Fletch

it's close to impossible.

Without saying that Drury and Gomez flat-out suck, which really isn't the case, what GM in their right mind would want to take Drury or Gomez at the current contract (forget about NMCs or NTCs for the moment)? Now, compound the possibility of a cap that, at best, stays the same but likely falls by some amount, and it makes matters even worse. On a good day another GM doesn't take their contracts. Unfortuntely both are support players, and both were paid like top line players, and unfortunately, you don't sign both of them if you drafted right over the last 6-7 years.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Fletch

Bobby...

it wasn't just the turnover - it was who left and who came in. Out with Jagr (who brought more than just 70 points last season) and in with Zherdev. Out with Avery and his 16 goals (or whatever he scored) and in with Voros and his 7 career goals. Out with Shanny's old legs and 20+ goals and in with Korps' one postseason NHL goal. Out with Straka's (14?) goals and in with Naslund (got me on that one!). The rest were ?'s too - would Dawes blossom? Would Cally mature? Would Dubi get better? Too many question marks to suggest the team would do very well, and given what we knew about those players, I don't see how anybody would think they would do better than a 6th seed. We all knew Lundqvist would break down at some point. We all knew the defense was mostly mediocre and was only as good as it's last link (Lundqvist). So I think one can say with confidence what they thought this team would look like to begin the season.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Stepan Razor

Yeah I mean, I certainly didn't think we were cup contenders. But I had the Rangers points range for this season at anywhere from 80-82 to 96-98 (which may or may not mean anything to anybody else). To me that qualifies as a big WTF. Maybe I'm just bad at predictions.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Renney said during the summer that he had more input and say, in what players Sather signed/resigned.

So as badly as Sather screwed the pooch, this summer. Renney was right there with Sather holding dow the pooch and awaiting his turn.

They're both to blame.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Rangers were probably better off using that money on a forward
Or not using it at all and giving the job to a kid like Potter.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Renney said during the summer that he had more input and say, in what players Sather signed/resigned.

So as badly as Sather screwed the pooch, this summer. Renney was right there with Sather holding dow the pooch and awaiting his turn.

They're both to blame.
I'm completely okay with firing both. However I think it's unjust to s***can only Renney when Sather holds as much responsibility.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Yep. Then, when the cap goes down, we'll be there with open arms to collect those young stars that teams can't afford to resign.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Nah, you know the Rangers are going to spend to the cap. There's no incentive for them to do otherwise.

Also, I don't think the defense is really mediocre. It's a fine defense, they all usually do a good job at what they need to do, they just don't have a star player leading the way on offense or defense. They're solid, but unspectacular (except when the whole team is breaking down and the defensemen freak out and do stupid stuff).

Old
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Obviously this team isn't going to be an offensive powerhouse anytime in the near future, but last in the league in goals scored per game? Really? Are we that bad? Is our PP still even in the double digits?

I think one of the reasons this team gives up so many high scoring chances is because the game plan is extremely haphazard. Most of the our offensive players are focusing so hard on trying not to make defensive mistakes that they probably already forget what offense is. Eventually they break down mentally and we see games like the one in Montreal and NJ where you have 5 players out of there that look like they completely forgot how to play elementary hockey. It's just sad

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Nah, you know the Rangers are going to spend to the cap. There's no incentive for them to do otherwise.

Also, I don't think the defense is really mediocre. It's a fine defense, they all usually do a good job at what they need to do, they just don't have a star player leading the way on offense or defense. They're solid, but unspectacular (except when the whole team is breaking down and the defensemen freak out and do stupid stuff).
The incentive is to get better players than the ones they have now. Seems like a pretty good reason to show some patience.

And our defense is most certainly mediocre, because aside from Staal, and he hasn't been without his blemishes this season (though, of course, at his age, that isn't a big deal), the rest of them are not particularly special. Mara has had a decent season. Girardi has been very mediocre this season. Kalinin started the season awful but has been better before the injury. Rozsival started terribly, then went on a really good little streak, but he's been very "eh" for the last month or so.

And Redden...well, like I've said all along, there isn't a third-pairing defenseman in this league that earns a million bucks a year or a little bit more that can't serve the same function that Redden does.

There isn't a single aspect of the game that Redden stands out in. Beating him one-on-one requires nothing more than average speed, since his is below average. Just go wide on him and you're in the clear.

This team would be no worse with Potter or any other cheap defenseman.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Also worth noting they call Renney a "great coach" and say his situation has become "bogus" in regards to his apparent lack of job security.
And that is 100% correct.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This thread should be renaned "Keep Renney!"

Then you guys could have yours and we could have ours and a lot of arguments would be avoided.

But then again, that wouldn't be nearly as fun.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote