HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal-Rangers/Flames

Old
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Proposal-Rangers/Flames

I never do this but considering Rangers pro scout Rick Kehoe has been reportedly following the Flames on a regular basis

Scott Gomez and Nigel Dawes to Calgary for Mike Cammalleri and Corey Sarich

When Gomez was in his last year in Jersey,there reportedly was interest in Gomez from Calgary.Gomez has three teams on his NTC list.Calgary probably isn't one of them considering it's close proximity to Alaska.Did Gomer also see Russia from his kitchen window when he was growing up?

Darryl Sutter likes Dawes.

Cammalleri is having a very good season.Surprise,surprise it's his contract year.Cammy is a group III this summer.Sarich has three more seasons remaining on his contract at $3.6 million per.The Flames are going to have to pay Cammy $5-6 million to keep him plus they would still have Sarich's money of their books.

Calgary would be adding about a $1 million in salary for this season but getting Gomez for only $3.757 million for the next 3 when you subtract the $3.6 million owed to Sarich.

Cammy and Sarich won't hurt the Rangers chances this season,they shed some salary going forward and open up a spot for AA(for next season).The Rangers don't need another big contract on defense but you have to take back another contract.The Rangers have always liked Cammy.They talked to LA in 04 about trading #6 for Cammy and #11.LA wanted Al Montoya.

Cammy will be fine with Drury.Defense is Redden,Roszival,Staal,Girardi,Mara and Sarich.Reitz is #7.Place Kalinin on waivers and send him to Hartford.

Add Avery on re-entry.So it's Sean,Cammy,Drury,Callahan,Naslund,Brandon,Zherdev,
Bettsy,Korps and Orr.Try to find a match with Prucha,Voros and maybe Sjostrom.

Mason Raymond in VAN appears to be on the outs there.Terrific skater.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Why does Calgary trade their leading scorer in the middle of the playoff hunt? Let alone trade him for Gomez?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think Calgary would want a bit more. That said, this proposal is at least reasonable, IMO. Props.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Synergy27

Cammy is playing the wing for the Flames right? This trade would force some line juggling over there, and I don't think they have a need to fix what ain't broke. I also don't think they would rather pay Gomez all that cash than Cammy.

Is that rumor you posted about the 2004 draft correct? Cammy + #11 for the #6? That would have been nice, eh?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I would do this any day of the week. Doubt the Flames, would, however.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
NYR Viper

I would do it....I think its relatively close, however, if at all possible, I would rather the Rangers get something of value out of a trade. Cammy is going to want too much money for the type of player he is and Sarich isnt anything special. I wouldnt mind taking Sarich + a relatively young player but the Rangers would be basically getting a rental in a year where they dont need one. Unless they could make it a three-way trade and the Rangers could get some picks/prospects for Cammy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

What about Matthew Lombardi instead? Eases some of the cap space for NYR. Calagary gets Gomez who, despite a poor season, is more than capable of improving that team.

I think the cap is the only issue... but Lombardi + Sarich + their current available cap space might be enough to take on Gomez.

That'd be a very good team with Gomez

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
What about Matthew Lombardi instead? Eases some of the cap space for NYR. Calagary gets Gomez who, despite a poor season, is more than capable of improving that team.

I think the cap is the only issue... but Lombardi + Sarich + their current available cap space might be enough to take on Gomez.

That'd be a very good team with Gomez
That is something I would do.....It doesnt make sense for the Rangers to get rid of Gomez if they cant resign the other player(like Cammy)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That is something I would do.....It doesnt make sense for the Rangers to get rid of Gomez if they cant resign the other player(like Cammy)
just getting rid of the cap space that gomez takes up makes sense to me.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Plus Lombardi only has another year on his contract after this season. Gives you some flexibility.

Lombardi can be a second-line center. He has a lot of speed. Perhaps him and Nicky Z?

Drury resumes the first-line center role.

Only thing... Do the Rangers need Corey Sarich? You'd have to trade away Girardi. Might not be a horrible thing, as it appears he has regressed slightly

Old
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Keenan making a risky trade at the deadline for an already very good team huh...

Mmmmm

02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
just getting rid of the cap space that gomez takes up makes sense to me.
Again, the all too over-valued cap space for the sake of having cap space. You assume that the money saved will be spent on a player(s) that will make this team better than they are with Gomez, but what happens if you dump him and can't find anyone to fill his spot? Moves for cap space and cap space alone are made in the off-season when there is a definitive plan in place to use the resources elsewhere.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Again, the all too over-valued cap space for the sake of having cap space. You assume that the money saved will be spent on a player(s) that will make this team better than they are with Gomez, but what happens if you dump him and can't find anyone to fill his spot? Moves for cap space and cap space alone are made in the off-season when there is a definitive plan in place to use the resources elsewhere.
Why do you need someone to fill in for him? He's a bigger detriment to the team than he is a help. His terrible turnovers and overall poor decision making hurt the team far more than his assists help.

The offense is LAST in the entire league with Gomez on the team. Can't get any worse.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
ThisYearsModel

Last time I checked, Darryl Sutter did not appear to be an idiot. That would be the only way a deal like this gets done.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Plus Lombardi only has another year on his contract after this season. Gives you some flexibility.

Lombardi can be a second-line center. He has a lot of speed. Perhaps him and Nicky Z?

Drury resumes the first-line center role.

Only thing... Do the Rangers need Corey Sarich? You'd have to trade away Girardi. Might not be a horrible thing, as it appears he has regressed slightly
Nah. Just waive Kalinin and prucha.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Cherepanov 71

Lombardi and Sarich would be ideal.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Cherepanov 71

I don't want to start another trade thread but I thought of an idea. Any chance Toronto might be interested in Gomez? They are looking for a player to be the face and have the cap room. Antropov would be a good fit with the Rangers.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Last time I checked, Darryl Sutter did not appear to be an idiot. That would be the only way a deal like this gets done.
Gomez, Dawes, 2nd might be a bit more appetizing.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Why do you need someone to fill in for him? He's a bigger detriment to the team than he is a help. His terrible turnovers and overall poor decision making hurt the team far more than his assists help.

The offense is LAST in the entire league with Gomez on the team. Can't get any worse.
Really? Listen man, Gomez is not very good, I agree, but are you honestly saying that this team wouldn't be worse without him in the lineup? I am honestly starting to come around to your side of the fence in this larger philosophical argument we have been having for weeks now, but there is no way Gomez hurts the team more than he helps it, he just doesn't help it as much as his paycheck says he should.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Really? Listen man, Gomez is not very good, I agree, but are you honestly saying that this team wouldn't be worse without him in the lineup? I am honestly starting to come around to your side of the fence in this larger philosophical argument we have been having for weeks now, but there is no way Gomez hurts the team more than he helps it, he just doesn't help it as much as his paycheck says he should.
I believe he's a detriment. His assists are not worth all of the bad stuff that comes along with him: the terrible shots on goal, the turnovers, the bad decision-making. He's a waste out there.

He's "good enough" to barely get us into the playoffs, where I firmly believe we won't do much.

I'd rather he wasn't here and they didn't get into the playoffs and got a higher pick. But I've been saying that all along.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I believe he's a detriment. His assists are not worth all of the bad stuff that comes along with him: the terrible shots on goal, the turnovers, the bad decision-making. He's a waste out there.

He's "good enough" to barely get us into the playoffs, where I firmly believe we won't do much.

I'd rather he wasn't here and they didn't get into the playoffs and got a higher pick. But I've been saying that all along.
So you agree that if he wasn't here, we'd be worse, at least in the present and short term?

Old
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So you agree that if he wasn't here, we'd be worse, at least in the present and short term?
Lombardi could be a decent fill in, which allows you to work around him. I know Gomez outscores him currently. But Lombardi is not getting the same quality minutes as Gomez.

But like you alluded to... cap space is only important if you do something with it.

Honestly if you could get rid of anyone, it should be Redden. Gomez' best years are ahead of him.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Lombardi could be a decent fill in, which allows you to work around him. I know Gomez outscores him currently. But Lombardi is not getting the same quality minutes as Gomez.

But like you alluded to... cap space is only important if you do something with it.

Honestly if you could get rid of anyone, it should be Redden. Gomez' best years are ahead of him.
I agree with all of this. I also believe that "cap hell" is only something to worry about when you actually have to deal with it. Sather still has a lot of resources at his disposal to make mistakes disappear, and until I find a definitive example of how the cap situation prevented Sather from improving the team, I'm not going to buy it. And please don't talk about Sundin. I think we all know that he wasn't coming here from the very beginning.

Old
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Gomez, Drury or Redden are being traded any time before the end of the season.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:

Honestly if you could get rid of anyone, it should be Redden.
Gomez' best years are ahead of him.
Agree. Statement of the year. However it just makes it that much harder to get rid of as some one else said, Way deadened

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote