HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rags fans, explain this one to me

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Rags fans, explain this one to me

Hey Rags fans, haven't posted here in a long while, but once again, I have a good reason to.

I just watched the Canucks tie the Wild tonight 1 - 1, with the Canucks new acquisitions of Geoff Sanderson (who scored the Canucks only tally), Marc Bergevin (didn't really notice him), and of course, Martin Rucinsky cast off from Sather's new-look diaper brigade (sorry, I heard some guy call in on a radio show and call them the 'Diaper Brigade', referring to the innundation of youth going on there, and I couldn't help but laugh).

Now, no doubt I quite liked R.J. Umberger, and still do for that matter. He'll be a key acquisition for the Rangers, and I have no doubt in my mind he'll go on to an NHL future and score about 20 - 25 goals a season as a second line centre or winger in the NHL. Martin Grenier I'm sure we can all agree is a knuckle-dragger of the highest order, really no better than fellow goonster Dale Purinton outside of the crisp touch of a french accent in Grenier's voice.

But I'm watching Rucinsky tonight, playing on a wing with Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison, and I cannot for the life of me believe that Slats took this guy off the team, weather or not he was an Unrestricted Free Agent. Okay, maybe if he plans on signing him back, I could see that. But Rucinsky tonight displayed a very high level of talent, and while didn't record a point, was one of the best Canucks. He played give and go with Markus Naslund and showed great chemistry with the Canucks C-bearer. He broke up Wild rushes, one very dangeous one in particular. He had some great scoring chances, and was all in all an absolute star out there tonight.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why this guy wasn't good enough for Glen Sather to resign to an extension. Is he that streaky? From what I've heard, he was one of the better Rangers, which says something since gold seems to turn to copper in New York quicker than the next Rangers coaching change (which by the way I can only assume is being done by the careful and selective method of 'Pick a name out of a hat'). Perhaps Sather hasn't lost his touch, still knows good talent when he sees it, and recognized that Rucinsky was out of place with his underacheiving bunch.

PS: Sorry Rangers fans, if I'm picking on you. I've been reading 'A Tale of Two Cities', and have felt particularly literate today. Still, I am dumbfounded as to why Sather didn't extend this guy and keep him there. He's absolutely dynamite, and I can see it already that he's got Top-6 skill on both ends of the ice.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:52 AM
NYR2

Well, the season was over for the Rangers and Rucinsky is going to be a free agent and wouldn't mind coming back here, so why not trade him and get something for him and then bring him back over the summer?

Old
03-11-2004, 01:53 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Hey Rags fans, haven't posted here in a long while, but once again, I have a good reason to.

I just watched the Canucks tie the Wild tonight 1 - 1, with the Canucks new acquisitions of Geoff Sanderson (who scored the Canucks only tally), Marc Bergevin (didn't really notice him), and of course, Martin Rucinsky cast off from Sather's new-look diaper brigade (sorry, I heard some guy call in on a radio show and call them the 'Diaper Brigade', referring to the innundation of youth going on there, and I couldn't help but laugh).

Now, no doubt I quite liked R.J. Umberger, and still do for that matter. He'll be a key acquisition for the Rangers, and I have no doubt in my mind he'll go on to an NHL future and score about 20 - 25 goals a season as a second line centre or winger in the NHL. Martin Grenier I'm sure we can all agree is a knuckle-dragger of the highest order, really no better than fellow goonster Dale Purinton outside of the crisp touch of a french accent in Grenier's voice.

But I'm watching Rucinsky tonight, playing on a wing with Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison, and I cannot for the life of me believe that Slats took this guy off the team, weather or not he was an Unrestricted Free Agent. Okay, maybe if he plans on signing him back, I could see that. But Rucinsky tonight displayed a very high level of talent, and while didn't record a point, was one of the best Canucks. He played give and go with Markus Naslund and showed great chemistry with the Canucks C-bearer. He broke up Wild rushes, one very dangeous one in particular. He had some great scoring chances, and was all in all an absolute star out there tonight.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why this guy wasn't good enough for Glen Sather to resign to an extension. Is he that streaky? From what I've heard, he was one of the better Rangers, which says something since gold seems to turn to copper in New York quicker than the next Rangers coaching change (which by the way I can only assume is being done by the careful and selective method of 'Pick a name out of a hat'). Perhaps Sather hasn't lost his touch, still knows good talent when he sees it, and recognized that Rucinsky was out of place with his underacheiving bunch.

PS: Sorry Rangers fans, if I'm picking on you. I've been reading 'A Tale of Two Cities', and have felt particularly literate today. Still, I am dumbfounded as to why Sather didn't extend this guy and keep him there. He's absolutely dynamite, and I can see it already that he's got Top-6 skill on both ends of the ice.
hes been more then quality for us this year but he is by no means a top 6 skill on the offensive side.. his value is he gels with anyone which is why hes been able to be so good on this chemistry defunct team... twice now (bure lindros line 2 years ago)

as for your question why sather dumped him.. well shoot he traded leetch i would hope that makes everyone expendable.. besides that rucinskys best value to us was as a trade chip.. hes a ufa and as good as he has been he isnt exactly a player you build around and to be honest i could careless if we resign him because he is of no use to us and i think youre putting too much imput from one performance.. rucinsky is a nice player.. a complimentary winger on a second or third line that can play the pk and pp and is very versatile.. it ends there.. hes not scoring 20 goals nor is he preventing 20 goals hes a good tweener...

also i'll add sather wouldve been assassinated if he resigned him rather then trade him continuing the trend.. in short rucinsky is a nice complimentary player who is really a role player.. certainly not a player you lock up long term if you are rebuilding and certainly not a player you dont trade for a good prospect in a contract year..

Last edited by in the hall: 03-11-2004 at 01:56 AM.
Old
03-11-2004, 05:29 AM
pld459666

I can't believe I'm going to say this

Quote:

But this was a case of great asset management. Something that Sather has been horrible at since signing with the Rangers.

He took a player (33 years old) who's been marginal at best over the last 3-5 years with this year being a bit better than the norm for him (Martin that is) and turned that asset into a 21 year old 1st round draft pick.

The kicker is that Sather may sign him and we end up renting his services for Umberger and a gorilla.

I've kicked Sather in the balls enough for moves that were ********, I'd have to pat him on the back on this one though.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Rucinsky has been consistently the Rangers best forward this season. He has played an excellent two way game, been physical, and has worked hard every game. And that's why the Ranger fans expected a big return for him.

With all those positive attributes (and Rucinsky has proven twice now that he can play in New York and actually flourish), it still was the right move to trade him. Rucinsky has spoken of his infinity for New York (wanted to play here last season when he was in STL) and I think he will be back. But Sather made a decision to trade the guy and get some assets in return for him.

I do think that he will be back next season (he played very well with Holik) and he certainly can be part of the solution here but trading him for the remainder of the season was the right move. Trading him certainly does not preclude Sather from bringing him back this summer.

03-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Trading him certainly does not preclude Sather from bringing him back this summer.
Depending on how things go in Vancouver though, the Rangers could be a tough sell for Rosie. If I'm a 34 year old free agent that's taking offers from contenders, a team in a year 1 rebuilding phase probably doesn't interest me. Who's to say that Rucinsky would have even accepted an extension for the same reason.

We got some assets and left our options open for next year. I became a supporter of Rosie's, but I have no reservations about trading him.

Old
03-11-2004, 08:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Depending on how things go in Vancouver though, the Rangers could be a tough sell for Rosie. If I'm a 34 year old free agent that's taking offers from contenders, a team in a year 1 rebuilding phase probably doesn't interest me. Who's to say that Rucinsky would have even accepted an extension for the same reason.

We got some assets and left our options open for next year. I became a supporter of Rosie's, but I have no reservations about trading him.

I agree that it is no lock that he comes back but there was not lock that he would come back even if he wasn't traded.

I agree. He had a nice season here and I found a whole new respect for him as a player but I still would have made this trade every day of the week.

Old
03-11-2004, 09:38 AM
kazo

Quote:
Rucinsky has been consistently the Rangers best forward this season. He has played an excellent two way game, been physical, and has worked hard every game. And that's why the Ranger fans expected a big return for him.

With all those positive attributes (and Rucinsky has proven twice now that he can play in New York and actually flourish), it still was the right move to trade him. Rucinsky has spoken of his infinity for New York (wanted to play here last season when he was in STL) and I think he will be back. But Sather made a decision to trade the guy and get some assets in return for him.

I do think that he will be back next season (he played very well with Holik) and he certainly can be part of the solution here but trading him for the remainder of the season was the right move. Trading him certainly does not preclude Sather from bringing him back this summer.
So does this mean so much for the youth movement as we begin to resign UFA's next year? And then wind up with nine forwards at the age of 30 something.

I'll believe in rebuilding in NY when I see it.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
So does this mean so much for the youth movement as we begin to resign UFA's next year? And then wind up with nine forwards at the age of 30 something.

I'll believe in rebuilding in NY when I see it.

This is not my call. It's Sather's.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
kazo

Quote:
This is not my call. It's Sather's.
It sounded like you were proposing resigning Rucinsky. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It sounded like you were proposing resigning Rucinsky. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm not advocating it. But I do think there will be an offer made to him to return (again, not my call). And I do believe that if he came back he could be part of the solution.

But I also think that Rucinsky off this years performance will get offers from better teams.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:46 AM
kazo

Quote:
I'm not advocating it. But I do think there will be an offer made to him to return (again, not my call). And I do believe that if he came back he could be part of the solution.

But I also think that Rucinsky off this years performance will get offers from better teams.
I'm already getting the feeling that next season's team will have the same flavor as the past seven. The usual "youngsters" like Lundmark, Ortmeyer, and Tyutin. And I suppose Balej as he seems to be everybody's darling. Then trades for vets and UFA signings.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate kick in the a**?

Old
03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
ddheyman

Quote:
I'm already getting the feeling that next season's team will have the same flavor as the past seven. The usual "youngsters" like Lundmark, Ortmeyer, and Tyutin. And I suppose Balej as he seems to be everybody's darling. Then trades for vets and UFA signings.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate kick in the a**?
WHy? Why is it bad to have 5-6 kids on a team and some other veterans. We normally have 1 or none. At least we're moving up.

There is NO way we're going in there with only Holik and Jagr as our forwards with more than a month of experience. ITs just not happening. This isn't Pittsburg.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Explain this one.How does Brian Burke NOT sign Martin Rucinsky as an unrestricted free agent last summer after he watched Rucinsky nearly knocked out the Canucks all by himself last spring?For only $150,000 more,Burke could have had Rucinsky instead of Magnus Arvedson.

Rucinsky has been decent the last few months.He was better in the first half of the season.Rucinsky might end up returning to the Rangers this summer.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:08 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
WHy? Why is it bad to have 5-6 kids on a team and some other veterans. We normally have 1 or none. At least we're moving up.

There is NO way we're going in there with only Holik and Jagr as our forwards with more than a month of experience. ITs just not happening. This isn't Pittsburg.
In the doomsday scenario I'm talking about you'll have 4 or 5 younger players (maybe) that we've already seen and the rest would be a new wave of FA signings and trades.

That's what you call a youth movement?

Old
03-12-2004, 12:20 PM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Sather is on the 'pipe......
Das whatidis!
Its a mad mad mad mad world. Sather is giving away the whole friggin team. Gonna rebuild around Jagr i guess??

WTF?

Why not just fold the team Sather. You complete *******. I can hardly believe what he is doing right now. Prove me wrong Sather. Please. Make me eat my harsh words. Please. I beg you.

ahem..... lets go rangers?

Old
03-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Its pretty simple actually.

Hes a very solid player, IMO very underrated since many people say he is way past his time. While that is true, he still does everything onthe ice to be a solid player.

What did Sather let him go? he is a UFA at seasons end, and if you dangle RJ Umberger for someone who will be unrestricted with a good chance of coming back here, its a no brainer to do the deal.

Thats why none of us had a problem (besides leetch) with any of the moves Sather made. We all love Barnaby, Simon, Rucinsky but if we can get something now, no matter if they comeback or not is a good thing.

If he doesnt do the deals, the players play out the season here and nothing comes out of it.

Closed Thread