Notices

Call Up Fistric, Right Now

Old
02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Then cut off his already decrepit foot, affix it to a key chain and stick it in Tippett's pocket. There's a point when superstition needs to be called out for what it is; poppycock.
Remind me to never cross you.

Quote:
If Fistric makes the Stars a better team on the ice than Sydor or whomever, he needs to be out there playing. I think he does, have thought so for some time now
I'd love for Fistric to be back in Dallas. Plus, as we've already talked about, Fistric was sent down because of the cap. I think you could easily argue that Niskanen (and sometimes Grossman) were playing much worse in those first 11 games. Someone had to go down because of the cap, and Fistric was the only one that didn't have to clear waivers.

I think the acquisition of Huthinson screwed Fistric. The team thought they would need someone to replace Zubov's offense (and they didn't), but out of no where Hutchinson comes to Dallas and plays like an above average 3rd pair defenseman. The guy's had maybe 2 or 3 bad games. I don't think that means he should play over Fistric, but Tippett obviously does.

Quote:
but would Tippett actually change the defensive pairings if Fistric was in Dallas?
No. For the first time in his career as the Dallas coach, he's shown inability to change. Even when he shuffles the lines now (for a period or 2) it's 1 guy.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think the acquisition of Huthinson screwed Fistric. The team thought they would need someone to replace Zubov's offense (and they didn't), but out of no where Hutchinson comes to Dallas and plays like an above average 3rd pair defenseman. The guy's had maybe 2 or 3 bad games. I don't think that means he should play over Fistric, but Tippett obviously does.

No. For the first time in his career as the Dallas coach, he's shown inability to change. Even when he shuffles the lines now (for a period or 2) it's 1 guy.
I'm not so sure about the former. They are two completely different players, and with the pairings Tippett insists upon, Fistric would be a horrible fit with Grossman. Neither could bring the puck up the ice and numerous turnovers would be a cause of that.

That is why Piqued's statement to bring Fistric up is also a comment against Sydor because it's the path of least resistance to replace just one d-man and not completely revamp all three pairings.

Tippett has always tinkered with the forward lines, but throughout his career in Dallas he's kept fairly consistent defensive pairings, at least when they were healthy.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:35 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I'm not so sure about the former. They are two completely different players, and with the pairings Tippett insists upon, Fistric would be a horrible fit with Grossman. Neither could bring the puck up the ice and numerous turnovers would be a cause of that.

That is why Piqued's statement to bring Fistric up is also a comment against Sydor because it's the path of least resistance to replace just one d-man and not completely revamp all three pairings.

Tippett has always tinkered with the forward lines, but throughout his career in Dallas he's kept fairly consistent defensive pairings, at least when they were healthy.
I don't think it would be a major shuffle. Grossman and Robidas were dominant together last year and effective earlier this year before Grossman's big slump. IMO, Grossman has recovered, and he has been very effective at carrying the puck up the ice. In recent games, Grossman has down that very well. Along the lines of what Piqued said (GDT thread) in regard to Niskanen's physical play, you can tell Grossman is in a good zone when he is willing to carry the puck.

Daley and Fistric played very well together last year as well, and Daley is good on the right side of the ice.

Grossman-Robidas
Fistric-Daley
Sydor-Niskanen

Not saying that is what I want. I'm just saying if Fistric ever gets re-called, I imagine this is the direction Tippett goes. For those calling for Fistric, I believe your best bet is a string of bad games from Hutchinson.

Lastly, I just recalled hearing Tippett say multiple times recently how much he likes having a right and left shot on his defensive pairs.

Old
02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
BigG44

I've given up on the chance of Sydor getting benched. I just don't believe it is a realistic situation.

________ points it out all the time that Sydor could be effective if he wasn't an every game player. I would say the possibility of him rotating with a 7th defenseman is unlikely, but maybe they could limit his minutes. Sydor's biggest blunders seem to come later in the game.

This would be a more radical change because Niskanen and Daley weren't too successful earlier this season, but I'd like to see that pair receive a second chance now that both are on a tear. I don't honestly believe that the fact Niskanen is paired with Sydor is the reason he is playing better. Plus, Syodr can play the right side as well.

Grossman-Robidas
Daley-Niskanen
Fistric-Sydor

I don't think this would happen, but I'd like to see if it could be effective. If Niskanen and Daley could click in the defensive zone, could you imagine how great they'd be together in the offensive zone?

Sydor and Zubov use to get paired with the Modano line in the late 90's. A Niskanen-Daley pair with Ribeiro's line really could be something. Ott and Lehtinen would be out there to support them in the defensive zone as well.

Old
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Captain Awesome

Fistric gives this team a whole new dimension, outside of Grossman we don't have a big hitting d-man. And I'm sure Fistric is better at it, even if he isn't better at defense. But then again, anyone is better than Sydor at defense.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I wouldn't want Daley and Niskanen together because neither of them is physical enough in front of the net. You'd also want a puck moving guy to pair with Fistric. The ideal solution would be something like this.

Shoots Left:
Fistric
Grossman
Daley

Shoots Right:
Hutchinson
Robidas
Niskanen

So it actually works out perfectly left/right.

Grossman-Niskanen
Daley-Robidas
Fistric-Hutchinson

A puck moving guy paired with a more defensive minded partner.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
haf

I think Sydor has been and is still valuable to this team. I know everyone (almost) disagrees with me and that's fine. I am not going to regurgitate why everyone else is wrong. ha!

I do think the time is right to call up Fistric. I think part of the reason why you haven't seen him up is that the defense has been playing well. You role with the hot hand and all of that. Even in our recent losses, defense was not the problem. But we are starting to see cracks.

As Hutchinson's minutes climb, I think you will see him flounder a bit.
He is fine as a 9-11 minute a night guy because he can focus and keep his motor high. He is like Connor in that when he gets a little gassed, his value goes to nil.

I think you waive Janik and scratch Hutchinson. Play Fistric and see what happens. His bite is work than his bark and our net could definitely use that, especially come playoff time. Let's get him in the mix.

Though I do think Tippett has been wise to resist until now.

* what site do you guys use for stats? TSN doesn't show TOI anymore on the game by game section. suck.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Tippet has no say in the matter as to whether Fistric is called up. Jackson went on record saying they hadn't recalled him to be a healthy scratch. Whenever he does come back up it will be to play everyday. So knowing that Tippet wasn't going to play him Jackson kept him in the minors. Again it's yet another reason to despise Tippet.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I don't think it would be a major shuffle. Grossman and Robidas were dominant together last year and effective earlier this year before Grossman's big slump. IMO, Grossman has recovered, and he has been very effective at carrying the puck up the ice. In recent games, Grossman has down that very well. Along the lines of what Piqued said (GDT thread) in regard to Niskanen's physical play, you can tell Grossman is in a good zone when he is willing to carry the puck.

Daley and Fistric played very well together last year as well, and Daley is good on the right side of the ice.

Grossman-Robidas
Fistric-Daley
Sydor-Niskanen

Not saying that is what I want. I'm just saying if Fistric ever gets re-called, I imagine this is the direction Tippett goes. For those calling for Fistric, I believe your best bet is a string of bad games from Hutchinson.
I agree with the reasoning as it relates to what is more likely, but I'll still stick to my previous comment that it would benefit the Stars more if Fistric replaced Sydor. Move Grossman up with Niskanen if necessary. He's earned more playing time after a slow start, though I shudder to think he'd be a guy needed to bring the puck up with him at this point.

Quote:
Lastly, I just recalled hearing Tippett say multiple times recently how much he likes having a right and left shot on his defensive pairs.
I seem to remember him saying something along those lines as well, or at least someone well connected to the Stars, but Tippett says a lot of things and doesn't do many of them (thankfully too). And it makes sense on principle, but remember the pairing of Zubov and Niskanen. Tippett never shied away from playing those two, including a rookie on his off-side.

If we were to conclude there should be balance within the defensive pairings, the ones you wrote should fit the criteria of playing styles and matching up skills for more complete pairings. It does, however, go against the right-left argument, but again, I'm not sure that's entirely what Tippett wants to do.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Remind me to never cross you.

I'd love for Fistric to be back in Dallas. Plus, as we've already talked about, Fistric was sent down because of the cap. I think you could easily argue that Niskanen (and sometimes Grossman) were playing much worse in those first 11 games. Someone had to go down because of the cap, and Fistric was the only one that didn't have to clear waivers.

I do recall Tippet calling him out before the season even started as needing to show more effort and act prove that he wanted to be there. At the time I thought it odd he would be calling someone out that early in public.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
* what site do you guys use for stats? TSN doesn't show TOI anymore on the game by game section. suck.
timeonice.com <--- last game

Takes a little bit of work and knowledge of the game's 5 digit NHL assigned number, but it's worth it.

If you just want the numbers, use nhl.com's event summary.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
I do recall Tippet calling him out before the season even started as needing to show more effort and act prove that he wanted to be there. At the time I thought it odd he would be calling someone out that early in public.
He called everyone out including Grossman and Niskanen.

Like I said, he was the only waiver exempt defenseman. I never said anything about him not deserving to go down because of his play.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
txomisc

Quote:
He called everyone out including Grossman and Niskanen.

Like I said, he was the only waiver exempt defenseman. I never said anything about him not deserving to go down because of his play.
no. He specifically called and singled out Fistric. There was definate emphasis placed on him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

but according to dallasstars.com Sydor is excelling
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=409012

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
but according to dallasstars.com Sydor is excelling
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=409012
LIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

So false false false.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
piqued

I wonder if sports teams have found a correlation between ********, non-stop positive spin and ticket sales/website hits. I mean, you'd think there must be some benefit (in their minds) to running a PR department like a political campaign. Or is it just second nature and there is no purpose? Because doesn't objectivity generate interest?

Old
02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
beardedgraf

Or maybe the office and players genuinely believe that Sydor makes the team better

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:42 AM
piqued

I refuse to accept that

Old
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
beardedgraf

On the other hand, you know Turco or whoever else isn't going to mention his turnovers when asked about Sydor's impact. It would be funny though.

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
timeonice.com <--- last game

Takes a little bit of work and knowledge of the game's 5 digit NHL assigned number, but it's worth it.

If you just want the numbers, use nhl.com's event summary.
Still working on sorting out the five digit code thing but great resources. thanks very much.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
Or maybe the office and players genuinely believe that Sydor makes the team better
I believe this 100%, for those who watch HIMYM this is a classic case of revertigo

Old
02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Captain Awesome

Revertigo eludes me right now, which probably looks bad considering the avatar. What is it?

Old
02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Revertigo eludes me right now, which probably looks bad considering the avatar. What is it?
people still see Sydor for what he was eventhough he is not. However he is not as bad as people would like to believe

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=revertigo

Old
02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Captain Awesome

Haha I remember that episode now. Maybe the entire crew does have that, maybe Sydor is a really, really, likeable guy and they don't have the heart to tell him he's too sucky to play in the NHL. I don't know.

Old
02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
joshh09

What vetern D-man do you we plan to stick niskanen with if you scratch sydor. Niskanen can't play with just anyone. He is at least 2 years away, I think, of being able to play with just any other dman and not be a liability on d.

As much as I would like to see Fishstix up with the big boys, I don't think the time is right. We are winning, and our d is looking the best it has all year.

joshh09 is offline   Reply With Quote