HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Don "I'm a buyer, not a seller" Waddell is a .........

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Hockey Mojo

vCash: 500
Don "I'm a buyer, not a seller" Waddell is a .........

a second hand GM (General Manager). He never has been or ever was a General Manager at the NHL level until the Thrashers contracted him. As you can see now, he has NO experience and CANNOT TAKE THE THRASHERS TO THE NEXT LEVEL! He cannot walk his talk and I'm calling him out to talk to the Atlanta Season Ticket Holders "their Own Chalk Talk". If you can't handle it, head back to MOTOWN, because you haven't earn your stay in Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-10-2004, 01:07 AM
cws
...in the drink

Dude, when have you ever known him to say what he is really thinking?

After five years, you should have known by now that more often than not he speaks in generalizations. His comments are normally very cryptic, not trying to give anything away. I stopped listening to what he was saying a few years ago, realizing I had no idea what he was going to do in reality.

Taking his words at face value is hazardous to your health as a Thrasher fan. Move on from this one, please.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:59 AM
dirt

Trade you Larry Pleau for him.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt

I think I'd like a Pierre Laciox or a Ken Holland PLEASE!

Old
03-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthrash

Taking his words at face value is hazardous to your health as a Thrasher fan. Move on from this one, please.

I'll move when I'm ready X-factor!

Old
03-10-2004, 10:39 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt
Nice try

In fairness to Waddell, he said he was a buyer around Feb. Recently all DW would commit to was that he wasn't a seller, and he pretty much lived up to that.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Hockey Mojo

After last nights loss to the Rangers you could tell the players and the fans were upset that DW did not make any substantial trades by yesterdays trading deadline! The players are not going to give 100% and risk injury if Don Waddell's not going to make an effort to improving the team for a possible playoff push. Yesterday, DW waved the White Flag and surrendered the season! DW showed the team he quit on them and they showed that in return.DW would say about making trades,"We must be better today than we are yesterday". Are the Thrashers, I think not? He's reluctance, devotion and commitment spoke to the team and the fans yesterday!!

Old
03-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn

In fairness to Waddell, he said he was a buyer around Feb. Recently all DW would commit to was that he wasn't a seller, and he pretty much lived up to that.

In fairness to DW, he's a poor buyer and a poor seller. What he bought and sold did not better the team today.

Old
03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Blatny Spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
After last nights loss to the Rangers you could tell the players and the fans were upset that DW did not make any substantial trades by yesterdays trading deadline! The players are not going to give 100% and risk injury if Don Waddell's not going to make an effort to improving the team for a possible playoff push.
You could tell that's why the team sucked last night? Because the players were pissed D-Wizzle didn't make any deals? You must be some kind of genius, being able to divine players thoughts and motives like that.

I chalk it up to them sleepwalking like they've done for most of the calender year to date.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:04 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
I'll move when I'm ready X-factor!
One day after the deadline and the blame-game has already ran itself into the ground; not just here, other places as well. But if it makes you feel better to target people or certain events for blame (whether it is justified or not) and bang it like a cheap drum, so be it. Personally I can't make those leaps and rushes to judgment, but that's just me.

The bandwagon always gets a bit lighter this time of year. By some of your comments, I thought you might be a prime candidate. But again, I'm not one to judge unless I've got much more evidence.

Old
03-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
a second hand GM (General Manager). He never has been or ever was a General Manager at the NHL level until the Thrashers contracted him. As you can see now, he has NO experience and CANNOT TAKE THE THRASHERS TO THE NEXT LEVEL! He cannot walk his talk and I'm calling him out to talk to the Atlanta Season Ticket Holders "their Own Chalk Talk". If you can't handle it, head back to MOTOWN, because you haven't earn your stay in Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be fair to Waddell, being an assistant GM at the redwings to go with being a successful GM at IHL/AHL level is a good apprenticeship for being a GM at NHL level. However lets review what he has done this season:

Traded 2nd Round Pick 03 to Florida for Ivan Majesky

Bad Deal. Clearly it has been major overpayment by DW. Majesky is a decent player but not worth a high 2nd Round Pick.

Re-signed UFA Slava Kozlov
Good Deal. Although he hasn't been as good this season as last, Kozlov has been pretty solid and should have a better season next season with Heatley back full time (we hope).

Signed UFA Bill Lindsay, Randy Robitaille, Shawn Heins
Good Deal. Lindsay and Heins both did their job as depth players while Robitaille has pretty much played all season and been an important contributor to the thrashers.

Claimed Ronald Petrovicky, Serge Aubin at the Waiverdraft
Good Deal. Both has been excellent contributors this season.

Traded 4th Round Pick 04 for Jani Hurme
Bad Deal. How can DW think of acquire someone without checking the players medical records. Hurme current back injury surely should of been know when he took his physical/medical just before joining the thrashers, that is if he did take a physical/medical.

Traded Simon Gamache and Kirill Safronov for Tomas Kloucek and Ben Simon
Bad Deal. Although the jury is still out on this trade. By all reports, Gamache and Safronov are both playing well for Nashville's minor league team while Simon has done a decent job as a part time 4th line centre in Atlanta. Kloucek as struggled with injury and consistency.

Claimed Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre off waivers
Good and Bad Deal. The good part of the deal that Grand-Pierre was a pleasant suprise in defence when injuries hit the team. The bad part of the deal is that DW foolishly put him on waivers and he was claimed by Washington.

Traded Brad Tapper for Daniel Corso
Wash. Minor league move which had no effect on the team. However I like to know why Tapper didn't get an opportunity in Atlanta this season after a decent season last season.

Claimed Brad Larsen off waivers
Good Deal. Larsen has done he job as a grinder when injuries has hit others.

Traded Kamil Piros for Kyle Rossiter
Bad Deal. Rossiter is clearly no more than 6th-7th/minor league defenceman while Piros has more value and talent and therefore should of got more from his return.

Traded Jeff Cowan for Kip Brennan

Bad Deal. Cowan is having a career season producing some good offense from the 3rd line, so DW trades him for an enforcer which we don't need. What's up with that?

Overall I'll give Waddell a D grade for this season work given that it was a trying time for all earlier in the season. In his 5th season on the job all Waddell did was plug holes but did not improve the team which means it was probably his worst season in terms of his performance of the five.

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 03-10-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old
03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
To be fair to Waddell, being an assistant GM at the redwings to go with being a successful GM at IHL/AHL level is a good apprenticeship for being a GM at NHL level. However lets review what he has done this season:

Traded 2nd Round Pick 03 to Florida for Ivan Majesky

Bad Deal. Clearly it has been major overpayment by DW. Majesky is a decent player but not worth a high 2nd Round Pick.

Re-signed UFA Slava Kozlov
Good Deal. Although he hasn't been as good this season as last, Kozlov has been pretty solid and should have a better season next season with Heatley back full time (we hope).

Signed UFA Bill Lindsay, Randy Robitaille, Shawn Heins
Good Deal. Lindsay and Heins both did their job as depth players while Robitaille has pretty much played all season and been an important contributor to the thrashers.

Claimed Ronald Petrovicky, Serge Aubin at the Waiverdraft
Good Deal. Both has been excellent contributors this season.

Traded 4th Round Pick 04 for Jani Hurme
Bad Deal. How can DW think of acquire someone without checking the players medical records. Hurme current back injury surely should of been know when he took his physical/medical just before joining the thrashers, that is if he did take a physical/medical.

Traded Simon Gamache and Kirill Safronov for Tomas Kloucek and Ben Simon
Bad Deal. Although the jury is still out on this trade. By all reports, Gamache and Safronov are both playing well for Nashville's minor league team while Simon has done a decent job as a part time 4th line centre in Atlanta. Kloucek as struggled with injury and consistency.

Claimed Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre off waivers
Good and Bad Deal. The good part of the deal that Grand-Pierre was a pleasant suprise in defence when injuries hit the team. The bad part of the deal is that DW foolishly put him on waivers and he was claimed by Washington.

Traded Brad Tapper for Daniel Corso
Wash. Minor league move which had no effect on the team. However I like to know why Tapper didn't get an opportunity in Atlanta this season after a decent season last season.

Claimed Brad Larsen off waivers
Good Deal. Larsen has done he job as a grinder when injuries has hit others.

Traded Kamil Piros for Kyle Rossiter
Bad Deal. Rossiter is clearly no more than 6th-7th/minor league defenceman while Piros has more value and talent and therefore should of got more from his return.

Traded Jeff Cowan for Kip Brennan

Bad Deal. Cowan is having a career season producing some good offense from the 3rd line, so DW trades him for an enforcer which we don't need. What's up with that?

Overall I'll give Waddell a D grade for this season work given that it was a trying time for all earlier in the season. In his 5th season on the job all Waddell did was plug holes but did not improve the team which means it was probably his worst season in terms of his performance of the five.
I disagree here on several items...A fourth round pick for Hurme is a good deal. We wont see the goodness this year, but come next year with Pasi, Lehtonen and Hurme healthy, we have someone that can be moved, most likely Pasi.

Also, the Gamache and Safronov deal for Kloucek and Simon wasnt a bad deal. We needed defensemen. Kloucek was a guy that Leetch said this was the best defensive prospect hes ever seen. We all know Gamache and Safronov are playing well for Nashville's MINOR league team, hell, they did that for Chicago, although some would argue that Safronov didnt do well in Chicago.

Piros for Rossiter...How is this a bad deal? You give up a cancerous guy who plays with as much heart as Jagr for someone who could maybe play for you down the road and or be a depth guy.

Old
03-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Hockey Mojo

I'm about as TRUE BLUE when it comes to being a Thrashers fan. My venting of fustrations is due because the players play with so much heart every night and the fans have so much passion for their team and to see management not have the same devotion baffles me. With twelve games left to play the Thrashers playoff hopes dead in the water, I don't want to hear "wait until next year, we're going down swinging, the players know their playing for a roster spot next year". It's the same song and dance every year! DW knew this was going to be a very important year for the franchise and it's fans due to the likelihood of a NHL Strike and no hockey in 2004-2005. Since the inception of this franchise we've had goalie and defensive problems and he promised that was going to be his No# 1 priority, but no, nothing is done. I'm sad for the players as well the loyal fans that come to watch the Thrashers play each night. As we head for the exits once again shaking our heads telling ourselves wait until next year, well there will be no next year, maybe half a season, which will mean no All-Star game in Atlanta. In the movie the "Gladiator", the line "you must win the crowd first", well they had the crowd and now management is slowly losing them. It's a whole lot easier to keep the fans than it is to get them to come back!

Old
03-11-2004, 03:17 PM
heat_15

Yesterday, DW waved the White Flag and surrendered the season! DW showed the team he quit on them and they showed that in return.

Yes, the team has quit. Great point. The Thrashers are doing what they have done every since at this time- play for next year's roster spots. I'm just as frustrated as the next T-fan, considering the way this season started out.

In all fairness to Don, I have to believe him when he says that the only players other teams were interested in were a few of our future stars, i.e. Lehtonen and Coburn. He would have to be high to let those guys go for anything. Still, the JLGP and Cowan deals for NOTHING make no sense, considering Don has shown a method to his madness in the past- Dominichelli, Audette, Buzek, et al.

There's always the 2005-2006 season!

Old
03-11-2004, 07:38 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
I'm about as TRUE BLUE when it comes to being a Thrashers fan. My venting of fustrations is due because the players play with so much heart every night and the fans have so much passion for their team and to see management not have the same devotion baffles me. With twelve games left to play the Thrashers playoff hopes dead in the water, I don't want to hear "wait until next year, we're going down swinging, the players know their playing for a roster spot next year". It's the same song and dance every year! DW knew this was going to be a very important year for the franchise and it's fans due to the likelihood of a NHL Strike and no hockey in 2004-2005. Since the inception of this franchise we've had goalie and defensive problems and he promised that was going to be his No# 1 priority, but no, nothing is done. I'm sad for the players as well the loyal fans that come to watch the Thrashers play each night. As we head for the exits once again shaking our heads telling ourselves wait until next year, well there will be no next year, maybe half a season, which will mean no All-Star game in Atlanta. In the movie the "Gladiator", the line "you must win the crowd first", well they had the crowd and now management is slowly losing them. It's a whole lot easier to keep the fans than it is to get them to come back!
I'm inclined to agree with you. The points you made are true and valid, and on the surface I can't debunk any of those points and wouldn't try.

But I still believe those statements I made earlier. We simply don't know enough about the jobs these GMs do. We don't not a staff full of experienced people who know about all the various player personnel issues reporting to us, we do not know the financial structure of the team and the limits/non-limits that he has to operate within; and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the things we don't know. I just find it hard to understand why people insist on making judgments based on only a few pieces of info, and even those we are no experts on. Trust me, if we do find out he has been doing a crappy job, I'll be one of the first in line to call for his head. But right now I won't. Heck, I can't. I don't know near enough for my opinion to be in anyway informed. I'm more apt to believe others around the game, men with experience in this area. All I've heard is respect for DW as a GM. Maybe they don't see him as the best, but they do respect his abilities in the position and believe he has done a good job over the years. The fans and the media are pretty much the only ones calling him bad. The media does it because creating a stir is a good way to get readers, us fans do it because we don't know any better.

I know the Ottawa situation doesn't parallel ours completely, especially when it comes to the fans. They were always going to have fans, for us it's more of a slippery slope. But the Sens sucked, and I mean bad, for four years. Awful doesn't describe it. Year five, respectable. Year six, a smidge better. And we know what's happened since then. I'm not saying that will happen to Atlanta, the two situations are different. But the same basic design has gone into both. And who knows, maybe our build-up has been better given the change in the economic climate making it more difficult for some of these smaller teams to stay afloat.

I'm not saying you're right, or wrong. I honestly don't know. And unless someone here is a team executive, I can't see how anyone here really knows either. I don't have enough info and/or experience in the matter to tell you if the team management is actually letting us down. This isn't a cop-out either, I truly believe that this is something that we as fans can't judge and I see it as useless to point fingers unless you know who they should be pointed at.

Closed Thread