HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects for Proven Vets...Draft picks vs Proven Vets

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 07:42 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Prospects for Proven Vets...Draft picks vs Proven Vets

What do you think? I read somewhere, never trade a young guy for an old guy... I'm not sure I agree with it, but sometimes it can come back and bite you in the a$$. that being said, looking at the moves the Habs made, Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev is a good deal, and could be a great deal if Alex plays well helps in the playoffs, it's a great deal if he does that and we sign him to a new deal... Will Balej come back and bite us in the a$$? I think we can all agree it may happen but not a sure thing. BG has taken a calculated risk. The Dowd deal is a great deal because we had lots of draft picks and the organization has a ton of prospects, so we add Dowd who is a major upgrade over JJ. BG thankfully didn't part with Hainsey,Hossa and Co. down in Hamilton. On a side note, are the Leafs going for it or what? They have put all their apples in this year's cart and are going for the Cup, their fans must be excited... in the Leafs camp, giving up young guys and draft picks are a way of life. Any thoughts guys...

Old
03-10-2004, 08:01 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
What do you think? I read somewhere, never trade a young guy for an old guy... I'm not sure I agree with it, but sometimes it can come back and bite you in the a$$. that being said, looking at the moves the Habs made, Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev is a good deal, and could be a great deal if Alex plays well helps in the playoffs, it's a great deal if he does that and we sign him to a new deal... Will Balej come back and bite us in the a$$? I think we can all agree it may happen but not a sure thing. BG has taken a calculated risk. The Dowd deal is a great deal because we had lots of draft picks and the organization has a ton of prospects, so we add Dowd who is a major upgrade over JJ. BG thankfully didn't part with Hainsey,Hossa and Co. down in Hamilton. On a side note, are the Leafs going for it or what? They have put all their apples in this year's cart and are going for the Cup, their fans must be excited... in the Leafs camp, giving up young guys and draft picks are a way of life. Any thoughts guys...
Blong, you've been here a long time, so I'm pretty sure you've read A LOT here never to trade a young guy for an old guy. These boards are littered with that sentiment, which I suppose isn't surprising since the HF in HFboards stands for "Hockey's Future".

Anyway, I think prospects and draft picks (even first rounders) are really overrated around these parts. It's as if some posters just won't be satisfied unless 80% of the team is made up of kids from lesser leagues. Why they just don't watch AHL teams is beyond me. I like the Alex Kovalev trade a lot. But for the quick injury, he became our best winger, and we did not have to give up a useful roster player in return.

As for the Leafs, they've gotten older but they've gotten better. Leetch and Francis, in particular, are stand-up guys that have earned a ton of respect from their respective former teammates and coaches. Those kinds of talented veterans are invaluable. Unless the Leafs are forced to rely on Trevor Kidd, I like their chances. God, that's painful to say!

Old
03-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Mike8

Good points anon.

I like the Francis and Leetch deals for Toronto. The Leafs have often gone after fiery players in the past and it's resulted in some problems for the team in the playoffs I believe. Not enough balance between fiery characters and intelligent, disciplined veterans. Leetch and Francis bring the discipline, intelligence, leadership with a good amount of skill to the table to have a strong presence.

It's interesting that Johansson brings a similar calm, mature leadership presence to the ice as well as Francis and Leetch.

Looks like the new Leafs GM has identified a problem with the makeup of the team: too many similar players (of the fiery variety), and looked to balance that off with three excellent discplined leaders.

Will make for an interesting team dynamic.

Old
03-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Habs4ever

Wel correct me if i'm wrong but Leafs were already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Good points anon.

I like the Francis and Leetch deals for Toronto. The Leafs have often gone after fiery players in the past and it's resulted in some problems for the team in the playoffs I believe. Not enough balance between fiery characters and intelligent, disciplined veterans. Leetch and Francis bring the discipline, intelligence, leadership with a good amount of skill to the table to have a strong presence.

It's interesting that Johansson brings a similar calm, mature leadership presence to the ice as well as Francis and Leetch.

Looks like the new Leafs GM has identified a problem with the makeup of the team: too many similar players (of the fiery variety), and looked to balance that off with three excellent discplined leaders.

Will make for an interesting team dynamic.

loaded with leadership, and clutchj player bringing in more of similar doesn't address their weakness, in essence they can't play their young guns now which might slow team down, and it could come back to haunt them, its great to acquire veteran for young team, but toronto is already over the hill in that department.

Closed Thread