HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smaug's fearless predictions!

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Smaug

vCash:
Smaug's fearless predictions!

Well, okay I admit last years fearless predictions went a tad south .... something to do with being a little optimistic about some of the younger players, but erm, if no one remebers my predictions, I certainly won't be gauche enough to remind anyone what they were : )

Still, this years fearless prediction is that the Oilers will finally have some real scoring punch and they will challenge for the first seeed in their confrence.

Anyone agree?

Old
08-23-2003, 06:53 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Sorry Smaug but I think your optimism is in full gear again this year although I have no idea what your predictions were for last year. But think about it. We will probably have four sophomores - Hemsky, Pisani, Chimera and Semenov and there is a good chance we will have six rookies - certaininly five of the following - Rita, Stoll, Torres, Bergeron, Luomo, Lynch, Conklin, Salmalainen. That is nine or ten yung'uns on the team and as exciting as I expect them to be in today's nhl it is mistakes that determine the outcome of games far more than exciting moves and rookies and sophomores just make more mistakes. It is a law of nature. So that is why it is so encouraging to see the owner in Boston talking salary cap because until we can afford to develop our yung'uns we will constantly be in building mode.

Old
08-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Oi'll say!

As fearless as a pitbull on crack that prediction is. :p I think they'll be 5th.

z-Col
y-Det
y-LA
Van
Edm
Stl
Minn
Cal

Old
08-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
As fearless as a pitbull on crack that prediction is. :p I think they'll be 5th.

z-Col
y-Det
y-LA
Van
Edm
Stl
Minn
Cal
Still too optimistic.

Look for them to be battling for 8th AGAIN. If Salo falters even a tad, they could find themselves real close to the basement. My guess is 4th in the division and 10th in the conference...

Old
08-23-2003, 07:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

I'm picking 6th

I believe Salo has a rebound year especially since he would like the Oilers to pick up his option next year.

The Oilers also had of injuries to the top players last year.

Comrie signs (it just doesn't make a lot of sense for him to hold out), Hemsky has a great year. A rookie comes in and surprises.

Old
08-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Hyped

My standings in case anyone was questioning why I pick 10th:

1. Colorado
2. Dallas
3. Detroit
4. Vancouver
5. Los Angeles
6. St. Louis
7. Anaheim
8. Minnesota
9. Nashville
10. Edmonton

Old
08-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Jamie

1)Colorado
2)Detroit
3)Dallas
4)Anaheim
5)Vancouver
6)Edmonton
7)St. Louis
8)Nashville
12)Phoenix

And the Oilers will be in the top ten for team scoring. MY fearless predictions. (this would mean another matchup against the Stars, didn't do it on purpose but now it makes me think I must just be right)

Old
08-23-2003, 08:05 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
I'm going to say that it'll again be a dogfight for the bottom 4 spots, and Edmonton will finish 7th. I think Detroit will take the west - too many question marks still in Colorado, and Dallas just isn't there any more. Vancouver may even surprise Colorado to take 2nd or 3rd in the conference.

Old
08-23-2003, 08:33 PM
hockeyaddict101

I guess I should pick the top 8

Colorado
Detroit
Vancouver
Dallas
Anaheim
Edmonton
St. Louis
Minnesota

Old
08-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Rooks Oilers

My predictions are:

1.Colorado-everyone else thinks so.

2.Detroit-will be close with the Avs.

3.Dallas-only because of the stupid divisional rules.

4.St.Louis-lots of firepower, still lack a goalie.

5.Vancouver-no comments.

6.Edmonton-alot of heart, and like others have said....THE SALO FACTOR!

7.Anaheim-still think JS Giguere is overrated.

8.(TIE) Minnesota-that stupid TRAP factor comes into play here.
Los Angeles-if they can stay healthy and thats a big IF.

Rooks Oilers

Old
08-23-2003, 08:50 PM
outKast*

<b>Scenario #1 </b><sup> this is what happens if the Oilers get amzing goaltending from salo and above average defense</sup>

1. Detroit ----> <sup>thier defensive corps could shut down Colorado's frontline anytime. Goaltending is also much more superior.</sup>
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. St. Louis ---> <sup>hopefully we'll see the old Doug Weight and he can help St.Louis do something "great" </sup>
5. Vancouver
6. Los Angeles <sup>free agent signings will get them higher in the standings, but not far into the playoffs</sup>
7. Edmonton (homer)
8. Anaheim
9. San Jose
10. Minnesota<sup> big regression. i think most coaches should have tried to figure out a strategy to beat Jaque Lemaire's system. if they haven't then they should be fired. they shouldn't be in the playoffs with a line up like that. no offense to Wild fans, but that's my opinion. </sup>

<b>Scenario #2></b><sup> this is what happens if our defensive corps falter and Tommy Salo has another average season. if this happens, i predict that Kevin Lowe will trade Salo, Smyth, Smith, Dvorak, York. We will trade for younger players will a high upside and the cycle of never-ending rebuilding starts all over again. </sup>

1. Detroit
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. St. Louis
5. Vancouver
6. Los Angeles
7. Anaheim
8. San Jose
9. Minnesota
10. Edmonton

<b>Conclusion</b>

For this season, our defense is key. this position is so cruicial that it could make or break our season. the emergence of Semenov and the solidification of Eric Brewer as a #1 defenseman could increase our chances of having a successful season. We have a solid lineup on offense. i think we have a solid first and second line that can score. if our goaltending and defense can play great then i don't see why the Oilers can't make the playoffs this year.

Old
08-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Oilers Hockey

Mine:

x-Colorado
x-Detroit
x-Dallas
St. Louis
Anaheim
Vancouver
Edmonton
Los Angeles

In a perfect world:

x-Edmonton
x-Anaheim
x-St. Louis
Colorado
Detroit
Vancouver
Dallas
Minnesota

Old
08-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Jamie

One more fearless prediction, the Oil beat the Stars in the first round

Old
08-24-2003, 03:58 AM
Yanner39

I know Nashville is an up and coming team, but I really don't see them finishing ahead of Edmonton...The only team this year that wasn't in the playoffs last year that should be significantly improved is LA...They had the season they had because of injuries...

I don't know if Edm will challenge for 4th or 5th, but they will make the playoffs...It's funny, some posters are still picking Anaheim to make the playoffs, but are not picking edmonton to make them...Why? Because Anaheim went to the finals last year...That doesn't mean anything...THe 'canes missed the playoffs last year after going to the finals the year before...And I hardly put Anaheim in the group of elite teams...The ducks rode an hot goalie to the finals...

I don't know about the rookie count...Someone said 5 rookies...Let's see, Marchant's gone and Cleary and Swanson are gone...Both Cleary and Swanson spent alot of time in the pressbox last year, so there's 2 spots...And Marchant, well yeah, the Oilers will miss him, but not as much as they missed Weight...

It seems that year after year people think the Oilers will take a big step back...My prediction is that they will make the playoffs, maybe only at 7th or 8th, maybe even 6th...Last year, the Oilers had key players hurt (Smyth, Comrie, York) or below average seasons (Salo, Smith) and still made the playoffs...Could you imagine if everyone stays healthy and get back to playing the way they can...

Ok, I'll give the doubters the fact that they probably won't challenge for the division, but finsih below Nashville or 10th, I dunno...Unless the preds have done significant changes...

Old
08-24-2003, 05:30 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I don't know if Edm will challenge for 4th or 5th, but they will make the playoffs...It's funny, some posters are still picking Anaheim to make the playoffs, but are not picking edmonton to make them...Why? Because Anaheim went to the finals last year...That doesn't mean anything...THe 'canes missed the playoffs last year after going to the finals the year before...And I hardly put Anaheim in the group of elite teams...The ducks rode an hot goalie to the finals...
No, I'm saying they make the playoffs because with Federov and Prospal they are way better off than the team they went to the cup with. The only way they falter is with JSG and if they don't sign him before camp like San Jose did to Nabokov last year.

Actually, I would say that they (Anaheim) could/should finish ahead of LA. Also, watch out for San Jose. I hope I'm wrong, because I need a big year from Allison in my pool.

My prediction, Edmonton 8th... old habits die very hard! LOL

Old
08-24-2003, 06:27 AM
medicinehat lowetide

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goil
No, I'm saying they make the playoffs because with Federov and Prospal they are way better off than the team they went to the cup with. The only way they falter is with JSG and if they don't sign him before camp like San Jose did to Nabokov last year.

Actually, I would say that they (Anaheim) could/should finish ahead of LA. Also, watch out for San Jose. I hope I'm wrong, because I need a big year from Allison in my pool.

My prediction, Edmonton 8th... old habits die very hard! LOL

I think 8th is about right. There are several teams that could slide next season (St. Louis is a prime candidate. They're indetical to the 1982 Expos, tremendous talent in certain spots, but in others they have poor options) and some that will rebound (LA can't go backwards. It's not possible).

Here's my predicitions:

1. Colorado- Even though their goaltending is unproven, that doesn't mean their goaltending is poor. This Sauve kid has a nice resume, and Aebischer might grab the job and hold on to it for years. Their GM is a pretty good dealer, so maybe they showcase Sauve then deal him before the deadline (they always get things done before the deadline).

2. Detroit- They're a mess really, and if St. Louis had done a reasonably good job with their roster and dollars the Wings would be in danger. However, it's a veteran group and even without Fedorov they're loaded.

3. Dallas- They certainly have a reason to have a solid season, after the playoffs last spring. Lost a huge cog on the backline, and they won't be dominant.

4. Vancouver- I think their point total may well be higher than Dallas', but they don't (yet) have the horses to get by Colorado. The goaltending and 2line scoring keep them from the upper echelon.

5. Minnesota- This team is the 00's template for building a team, just like the NYI were the template 15 years ago. They have true top end talent, good goaltending, and a system that is effective.

6. Los Angeles- I've been watching Kings GM's build teams since the Juha Widing trade, and they've NEVER had this much high end young talent. Frolov, Cammeleri, Aulin, Grebeshkov, plus they just had a monster draft (Dustin Brown, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, Konstantin Pushkarov and Ryan Munce) so have lots of trade options.

7. St. Louis- This is an unbalanced club, and they're counting on old guys, hurt guys and unproven guys. Weird team.

8. Edmonton- They could finish higher if Salo shoots lights out, but it'll take awhile before they shake out the checking line and find the right powerplay combination (they didn't find one at all last season). I like this team much betterthan St. Louis and LA once the playoffs start, but they seem to have an established level which gets them 8th place.

Old
08-24-2003, 09:36 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I don't know about the rookie count...Someone said 5 rookies...Let's see, Marchant's gone and Cleary and Swanson are gone...Both Cleary and Swanson spent alot of time in the pressbox last year, so there's 2 spots...And Marchant, well yeah, the Oilers will miss him, but not as much as they missed Weight...
That was me that said there would be 5 rookies although MacT said earlier this summer that he thought there could be as many as 6. There will be at least one on defence because you have to count Bergeron as a rookie and there are only six around from last year. Conklin in goal gives a 2nd rookie and up front it very much looks like Torres has been given a spot with his one way contract and as far as I know there are only 3 natural centres left on the team so there is a good chance Stoll will be here and in spite of what were apparently bad playoffs I'm expecting this is Rita's year to start even if he is gone (like Henry last year) early on. They gotta try him. They will be young again. And I know most of those rookies have put in their time in Hamilton. They are not 18 but they are still rookies added to 4 from the year before. So I don't think they will take a big step back but I do think they aren't ready for prime time. I'll get off the fence now and list my guesses.

1. Detroit - that defence is scary
2. Colorado - goalie still unknown - defence falls off after 1st 3
3. Dallas - I hate this but L.A. still has questions in goal
4. Vancouver - I hate this too but I think they are at their peak
5. Los Angeles - Murray is a good coach - a lot of injuries last year.
6. St. Louis - Quenville's last year
7. Edmonton - younger, faster, cheaper - the usual
8. San Jose - they stripped the team but still have talent
12. Nashville - They work hard too
13. Anaheim - Gigure comes back to earth, Federov has his money
14. Columbus - money moves them up
15. Phoenix - poor Wayne

Old
08-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Mizral

Solid predictions, Hyped. I have Edmonton around 10th at the moment, however with a couple shrewd trades by Lowe, or a renisance for Tommy Salo, the Oilers could easily make the playoffs again.

Old
08-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Oi'll say!

We all have our fav's and there are some people whom we all think get a bit too much icetime or whatever, but the bottom line is that this is the same team as last season minus Todd Marchant and some bench warmers. They were completely hobbled for a quarter of the season and still got 92 points, how can anyone seriously predict that they'll slide down as far as tenth (78pts)?

This is a team with too many quality forwards to work into the lineup, and our d (at this particular moment) is better than it was at the beginning of last season.

We still have top tier goaltending, and our coach is comitted to paring down the lineup b4 the second last exhibition game this year so we'll hopefully avoid the early season slump.

Have any teams below the Oil improved significantly enough to overtake them?

I don't see it happening.

There are more teams ahead of Edm that will be dropping than there are teams from below who will be challenging.

Old
08-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Oilers Hockey

...And I didn't expect any less from Les Miserable, who thinks the talent level of the Oil and Flames are even.

Old
08-24-2003, 02:15 PM
riles

predictions:

1. Detroit - Still the best, have an amazing d corps.
2. Colorado - Pure offense, even with suspect goaltending they will shoot everyone oit.
3. L.A. - Everyone stays healthy and they're a team to be reckoned with. Were a top team with one great line, now have secondary scoring.
4. Dallas - Same old team, still get it done.
5. Edmonton - We gotta play Dallas, this is assuming we go and get a top 4 D.
6. Vancouver - Naslund and Bertuzzi need some help.
7. Anaheim - Giguere will put up good numbers again, but there will be a little fall off from the playoffs.
8. St. Louis - Old team, little future other than Jackman, Weight has to lead the charge.
-----------------------------------------------------------
9. Minnesota - Not enough offense to squeak in.
10. Nashville - Up and coming, hard working...but not enough talent at this point.
11. San Jose - Need a complete reversal to do any higher and a great season from Nabokov, will miss Nolan and Selanne. Marleau can't carry them.
12. Phoenix - Younger team with some nice players, but not ready yet.
13. Calgary - Still need major help up front, but have a good young D.
14. Chicago - Falling off.
15. Columbus - Starting to come together.

All the teams out of the playoffs will be pretty close.

Old
08-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Smaug

vCash:
Well, I see the consensus seems to be that the Oilers will finnish somewhere between 5th and tenth in their confrence.

We shall see

One thing is certain, at least in my mind. Many people will be surprised this year as far as wich teams will be in the hunt for a top four ranking.

Old
08-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug
Well, I see the consensus seems to be that the Oilers will finnish somewhere between 5th and tenth in their confrence.

We shall see

One thing is certain, at least in my mind. Many people will be surprised this year as far as wich teams will be in the hunt for a top four ranking.

All I am hoping for is a Playoff Berth, and a little better luck, not to mention reffing in the first round.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Mizral

Last bump, I promise

Old
12-23-2003, 07:52 PM
icarus

Nevermind... I see these posts are old

Closed Thread