HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Startling numbers..

Old
02-11-2011, 08:21 AM
NativityPlayground*

vCash: 500
Startling numbers..

Washington Capitals

68 points / only 150 goals forward

only 136 goals against

Buffalo Sabres

57 points / 155 goals forward

155 against

This brings me back to last night with the game tied 2-2 late in the 3rd and Miller getting beat by slapshot from the point (mind you , he had a clear view of the shot) and it rang of the post !

I think you know where I am going with this, hell even Vokoun's save % was better then Miller's entering that game last night .

His focus...., in not all games... but quite a few seems a bit off .

Who would have thought to this point in the season that the Sabres would have more goals than the Capitals and having Miller that the Sabres would still be 11 points behind them in the standings ?

Not me !

I really regret this team not getting Marty back here in the offseason not to be the "number 1 " guy but to give Miller's mind it appears more than anything a rest every once and again .

If this organization is serious about a run this year , they had better address the back up goalie position because Miller alone will not get us there , the numbers bare that out as almost fact !

Leave Enroth be an let him keep playing the "number 1" guy in Portland , but they do need to get Lalime outta here and attain someone who can actually play and not just be Ryan's cheerleader !

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
If this organization is serious about a run this year
That would be some seriously delusional thinking on their part, if they were.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
fightclubber25

miller definitely isnt giving it his all this year, game in game out. whether its something he cant control or its a simple distraction, i dono.. but the results are clear. hes getting beat with clean shots that vezina goalies shouldnt be.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Pengo

I agree with you about getting a backup goalie. Even if we don't make any blockbuster trades, anything can happen in the playoffs (plus we still have to get there first), and only a rested Miller would make that possible.

Lalime has to go. I understand that he has friends on the team, but that is absolutely the wrong reason to make him the backup goalie in the NHL. There are many good/decent backups in the league (Auld, Raycroft, LaBarbera, Clemmensen, Garon, Hedberg, etc.) who could gotten for a relatively low return in a trade. And of course we could also bring up Enroth.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

They need a new backup goalie but... c'mon really? That position is going to have no discernible difference on how serious this team will be about making a playoff run.

Unless this team gets about 7 or 8 points up over 9th place, Miller's going to get ridden (rode?) until he breaks. It doesn't matter if it's Lalime, Enroth or anyone else wearing the toque.

Last edited by Ruckus007: 02-11-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Washington Capitals

only 136 goals against

Buffalo Sabres

155 against

This brings me back to last night with the game tied 2-2 late in the 3rd and Miller getting beat by slapshot from the point (mind you , he had a clear view of the shot) and it rang of the post !

I think you know where I am going with this, hell even Vokoun's save % was better then Miller's entering that game last night .

His focus...., in not all games... but quite a few seems a bit off .

Who would have thought to this point in the season that the Sabres would have more goals than the Capitals and having Miller that the Sabres would still be 11 points behind them in the standings ?

Not me !

I really regret this team not getting Marty back here in the offseason not to be the "number 1 " guy but to give Miller's mind it appears more than anything a rest every once and again .

If this organization is serious about a run this year , they had better address the back up goalie position because Miller alone will not get us there , the numbers bare that out as almost fact !

Leave Enroth be an let him keep playing the "number 1" guy in Portland , but they do need to get Lalime outta here and attain someone who can actually play and not just be Ryan's cheerleader !
Nobody told you can't say anything bad about Miller in here, did they.
I personally believe Ryan should start 55 games a year and be pushed by a backup. It will make him better.
The most immediate problem is we have 16 games in March. I'd like to know how they solve that. Fly Enroth the day before maybe. Lalime sucks but to expect him to do anything at all when he's barely played this year is insane. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO START LALIME ONE GAME!!!
You can ride Miller but no goalie on the planet should be playing 16 games in 30 days.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Pengo

If Miller is rested, then he will be much sharper during the playoffs and might get hot at the right time.

If he isn't rested (which will happen if Lalime is still the backup), then he will tire out and we'll have no chance. Some would argue that he's tired out as it is.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Kruschiki

Two thoughts:

(1) It took a while for them to shake out the defense and individual dmen TOI.
(2) Miller had a pretty bad injury to start the season.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
They need a new backup goal but... c'mon really? That position is going to have no discernible difference on how serious this team will be about making a playoff run.

Unless this team gets about 7 or 8 points up over 9th place, Miller's going to get ridden (rode?) until he breaks. It doesn't matter if it's Lalime, Enroth or anyone else wearing the toque.
This man speaks the truth.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
If Miller is rested, then he will be much sharper during the playoffs and might get hot at the right time.

If he isn't rested (which will happen if Lalime is still the backup), then he will tire out and we'll have no chance. Some would argue that he's tired out as it is.
I completely agree.

But the coach hasn't shown any evidence that he's going to start consistently giving Miller games off. Heck Ruff might believe the 2+ periods he got off in that Isles game a few weeks might count...

I personally think Miller will get a game off in the next couple of weeks but to suggest that the backup position is some sort of priority? Until they clinch a playoff spot Miller's going to play almost every minute so I don't see what the importance of the backup position is. They can roll the dice with Lalime or Enroth or Leggio or Jim Corsi. To me, there's no desperate need to acquire a guy who might play 2 consequential games.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Pengo

Quote:
But the coach hasn't shown any evidence that he's going to start consistently giving Miller games off.
Back in 06-07 Ruff gave Biron just under 1/4 of the starts (I think...my numbers might be off somewhat, but I didn't include the four games that Miller was out).

Even that would be welcome. Lalime might start one or two games for the rest of the season at this rate.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Back in 06-07 Ruff gave Biron just under 1/4 of the starts (I think...my numbers might be off somewhat, but I didn't include the four games that Miller was out).

Even that would be welcome. Lalime might start one or two games for the rest of the season at this rate.
Ruff and the gus in front of Marty both had confidence in Biron. The only guy who has seemed to engender confidence from both the coach and the team since then has been Mikael Tellqvist.

02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I completely agree.

But the coach hasn't shown any evidence that he's going to start consistently giving Miller games off. Heck Ruff might believe the 2+ periods he got off in that Isles game a few weeks might count...

I personally think Miller will get a game off in the next couple of weeks but to suggest that the backup position is some sort of priority? Until they clinch a playoff spot Miller's going to play almost every minute so I don't see what the importance of the backup position is. They can roll the dice with Lalime or Enroth or Leggio or Jim Corsi. To me, there's no desperate need to acquire a guy who might play 2 consequential games.
Really. You don't think two games are important. Four points. What place in the standings do you think the Sabres are in exactly?
Miller cannot play 27 out of the next 29 games. The games are much more tightly packed together in March. Look at the sked.
It's crazy to think lalime will put any points up. Look at his record and now he's rusty. I'll settle for Enroth being brought up but they are too hit and miss for playoffs to consider Lalime even for two games.

Old
02-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Washington Capitals

only 136 goals against

Buffalo Sabres

155 against
What does this have to do with anything? Because I understand the context of your post, I assume this should mean "OMGZ, the Caps have given up fewer goals with rookies than Miller has, and they neverz play defenze!!!" Actually, the Caps are pretty good defensively this season. That's mostly a product of having Carlson and Alzner a year older and back there full-time, but their forwards have been far more responsible. Being that I live in their market, I can say with certainty that they're a far better defensive team than most people realize. In fact, I believe they're in the top-10 best defensive teams in the NHL.

Quote:
I love this quote. First, we're ripping Miller now for shots that almost went in. How pathetic. Second, you made up the situation. I watched two different sets of highlights that showed multiple posts and crossbars, and the Florida post they showed was in the first period when Miller was screened--the Florida announce team said Miller didn't even see it.

People love to point out the softies--every goalie gives them up, btw--but those same people very rarely point to the three huge saves he made immediately before and after allowing a cheap one.

Quote:
Even Vokoun? Uhhh, you're aware Vokoun's one of the best goaltenders in the league, right?

Quote:

Not me !
I still don't understand the point, and how it relates to Miller.

Quote:
The first valid thing you said in your entire post. Most people wanted them to upgrade their backup goaltender situation. But they didn't.

Quote:
First of all, the backup won't be playing in the playoffs. Second, this new backup goaltender is going to play, what, maybe 2-3 more games than Lalime/Enroth will play. That 2-3 games is going to make a big difference? Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Quote:
I'm all for getting a better backup, but, again, I don't see what it's going to change at this point. At most, he gives Miller 2-3 fewer starts than Miller will otherwise receive. And I don't see how that makes Miller much better in the playoffs.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Miller needs a game off. I think that would help his mental fatigue more than physical fatigue.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What does this have to do with anything? Because I understand the context of your post, I assume this should mean "OMGZ, the Caps have given up fewer goals with rookies than Miller has, and they neverz play defenze!!!" Actually, the Caps are pretty good defensively this season. That's mostly a product of having Carlson and Alzner a year older and back there full-time, but their forwards have been far more responsible. Being that I live in their market, I can say with certainty that they're a far better defensive team than most people realize. In fact, I believe they're in the top-10 best defensive teams in the NHL.

I love this quote. First, we're ripping Miller now for shots that almost went in. How pathetic. Second, you made up the situation. I watched two different sets of highlights that showed multiple posts and crossbars, and the Florida post they showed was in the first period when Miller was screened--the Florida announce team said Miller didn't even see it.

People love to point out the softies--every goalie gives them up, btw--but those same people very rarely point to the three huge saves he made immediately before and after allowing a cheap one.

Even Vokoun? Uhhh, you're aware Vokoun's one of the best goaltenders in the league, right?

I still don't understand the point, and how it relates to Miller.

The first valid thing you said in your entire post. Most people wanted them to upgrade their backup goaltender situation. But they didn't.

First of all, the backup won't be playing in the playoffs. Second, this new backup goaltender is going to play, what, maybe 2-3 more games than Lalime/Enroth will play. That 2-3 games is going to make a big difference? Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

I'm all for getting a better backup, but, again, I don't see what it's going to change at this point. At most, he gives Miller 2-3 fewer starts than Miller will otherwise receive. And I don't see how that makes Miller much better in the playoffs.
Yea, I have to pretty much agree here. Miller played pretty well last night. To rip on him for not stopping a shot that wasn't even on net is a bit harsh. Also, Vokoun is a very-good goaltender. I would love to see him on a playoff-calibre team, as long as the Sabres weren't the team playing against him.

Saying that, next year the Sabres need a decent backup they can use to rest Miller. I think that would take care of any "focus" issues he has.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Really. You don't think two games are important. Four points. What place in the standings do you think the Sabres are in exactly?
Miller cannot play 27 out of the next 29 games. The games are much more tightly packed together in March. Look at the sked.
It's crazy to think lalime will put any points up. Look at his record and now he's rusty. I'll settle for Enroth being brought up but they are too hit and miss for playoffs to consider Lalime even for two games.
I do think 2 games could be important.

I don't think there would necessarily be a difference between an exhausted Miller, a rusty Lalime, a rusty "other" backup, or Enroth. Whoever is Miller's backup won't play much the rest of this season so I think that negates whatever differences in talent there may be in whoever may start.

Old
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Miller needs a game off. I think that would help his mental fatigue more than physical fatigue.
He had 10 days off between games. We can't just not count those days he had to recharge the batteries. He never had 10 days off last season because of the Olympics.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

Fair enough. I could surmise that 06-07 was Miller's first full-length NHL season (obviously he missed a lot of time with the wrist the previous year) and they were so good from the outset that Ruff didn't have as much pressure to start his #1 than he's had since. So Ruff might have been less tentative with Miller back then. Of course I say this as someone who would like to see Miller playing 60-65 games a year but I think as long as Ruff is the coach, he's going to play Miller as much as he possibly can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ruff and the gus in front of Marty both had confidence in Biron. The only guy who has seemed to engender confidence from both the coach and the team since then has been Mikael Tellqvist.
You know, I used to feel that way but I went back and looked at Tellqvist's game logs and... maybe they seemed more confident with him in net but the sample size is so small. I could suggest that Ty Conklin had a start against Florida that was better than anything Tellqvist did. And of course Thibault pitched two shutouts...

Old
02-11-2011, 02:55 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Resting Miller more would have been a good idea throughout the season, but with the season winding down and Ruff having zero confidence in Lalime, it is what it is.

I would agree with jlr ... If this organization thinks they are taking a legit run at the cup this year, they are delusional.

Last edited by vcv: 02-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Boose30

i totally agree on getting a new back up. the organization must have zero confidence in him since he hasnt actually started a game since late november. what going to happen is theyre going to ride miller like they usually do and hes probably going to get injured forcing lalime to start. then managements gunna sit back and wonder why we didnt make the playoffs. if this team is serious about making the playoffs this year theyll go out and get a guy that does more than just open and close the door on the bench

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

What would be the argument against bringing up Enroth next season as the backup?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
What would be the argument against bringing up Enroth next season as the backup?
There wouldn't be one. Many believe Enroth will be the backup next season.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I do think 2 games could be important.

I don't think there would necessarily be a difference between an exhausted Miller, a rusty Lalime, a rusty "other" backup, or Enroth. Whoever is Miller's backup won't play much the rest of this season so I think that negates whatever differences in talent there may be in whoever may start.
Very short sample but Enroth has been better than Lalime. We know what we get with Patrick. Not much.
Enroth is an unknown still.
I personally would be playing the backup 4-5 games rest of the year.
Lalime would probably go 1-3 in that stretch but maybe 0-4. If Enroth can get you two more points, isn't it worth it?
To me it is. I hate the playoffs when the Sabres are out.
We'd get crushed by the Flyers, unless refs make calls which they don't in playoffs. If we limb to 7th? Who knows.

Old
02-12-2011, 08:13 AM
HogtownSabresfan

MANCHESTER, N.H. - T.J. Brennan had a goal and two assists, Jhonas Enroth made 35 saves and the Portland Pirates overcame a disadvantage in shots on goal for a 3-1 win over the Manchester Monarchs in a battle of the Atlantic Division's top teams Friday night at Verizon Wireless Arena.