HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plane Crash in Clarence...

Old
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
aceface33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflohockeygirl View Post
You don't know much about these people, do you?

They don't give a **** about human rights. They believe humanity is depraved and that everything bad that happens - including genocide, I would imagine - is punishment from their vengeful god.

They had a notice on their Web site last weekend thanking god for the plane crash. They thanked god for that tsunami, for 9/11, for Hurricane Katrina. It's not so much that they're "pro-genocide" as that they're pro-anything they can twist into "god's punishment" for our collective acceptance of teh gay.

It always comes down to that we don't do enough to condemn teh gay.
I just can't understand people like this.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:54 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreRT View Post
This is irrelevant to their cause. ANYONE who is not one of them is a target. You have to read some of their literature, as difficult as it is, to grasp how insane these people are. Essentially, they believe the Apocalypse is coming (much like the Millenialists of the 19th and 20th centuries) and everything we do has contributed to it. They are also Bibical literalists so everything you and I do and say is EVIL unless it is explicitly supported by the Bible. The fact that she is a human rights activist is irrelevant because she probably tolerates gays, divorce, etc. and that makes her a viable target.

I study early American religion and sadly these are not the first people to twist Christianity into something this insane.

I may go down to the memorial on Sunday to participate in the human shield. My only reservation is that I am a hot head sometimes and I would not want to do anything stupid.
Looking at their comments, as much as I could stomach, they are protesting the fact that she is calling for compassion and mercy for (gasp) foreigners. They state that she should focus on saving Americans, presumably the only 'real' Christians.

Nope, not the first group to distort Christianity into some wretched bile, and sadly will not be the last. Fortunatley the vast majority of the roughly 2 billion Christians emphasize compassion, sacrifice for others, and mercy. For example, the numerous local churches demonstrating compassion by holding services and bringing food and support to the devastated familes; you know, the ones they are protesting against.

I guess this group missed a few pages, like the greatest commandments being loving God, and loving neighbor as yourself. Not sure about their steadfastness to literal interpretations, assuming they are not plucking out their offending eyes.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
A Storm of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
that's exactly it. these people are looking for reaction. if you give them no reaction, they lose.
How powerful would it be to see hundreds of Buffalo natives, hand in hand, standing with their backs to these people, in prayer or song, sheltering the families of the victims from their hate? If I didn't have an 2 year old and a 6 week old, I'd be there doing just that.

A Storm of Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I just can't understand people like this.
And that's probably a good thing, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpix33 View Post
How powerful would it be to see hundreds of Buffalo natives, hand in hand, standing with their backs to these people, in prayer or song, sheltering the families of the victims from their hate? If I didn't have an 2 year old and a 6 week old, I'd be there doing just that.
I don't know what's going to be going on, but if something peaceful is happening, I'm bringing Julia...

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
A Storm of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflohockeygirl View Post
I don't know what's going to be going on, but if something peaceful is happening, I'm bringing Julia...
If I could find a babysitter for Lilia, I would bring Liam. He'd be warm enough in my carrier. However, Lilia is sort of the opposite of "peaceful" and its probably not a good idea to bring her to something like that.

A Storm of Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...2279169&ref=nf

Old
02-21-2009, 09:10 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

http://www.ubfreethinkers.org/2009/0...tion-with.html

Old
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Ghills23

The one year anniversary is tomorrow and since I won't be on here to post anything all weekend I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words last year. It has been a lot of sadness and a lot of love and gratitude from the community.

I ask you one thing please write your senators and congressman asking them to pass legislation to require pilots to have better training so no other families have to go through heartache.

My aunt was only one life lost on a Flight of 49 and one death on the ground but with better pilot training and longer hours required I firmly believe this tragedy could have been avoided.

If anyone is interested there is a 10 mile walk tomorrow morning, "Finishing the Flight", from the crash site to the airport.

http://flight3407memorialwalk.eventbrite.com/

God bless and rest in peace Aunt Mary Belle and all other lives lost on that fateful night one year ago.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I can't believe it has been a year already. My son's birthday will always have a little sadness to it now for me.

I also remember having to keep my son away from all news sources after this last year because he was going to be going on his first flight ever a few days after this happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I can't believe it has been a year already. My son's birthday will always have a little sadness to it now for me.

I also remember having to keep my son away from all news sources after this last year because he was going to be going on his first flight ever a few days after this happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, it's one of my other Aunt's birthdays too so it is a really sad day for her.

I've never been on a plane and after this I'm not sure if I ever will.

Old
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
If anyone is interested there is a 10 mile walk tomorrow morning, "Finishing the Flight", from the crash site to the airport.

http://flight3407memorialwalk.eventbrite.com/
That is awesome. I wish I lived closer. Good luck with tomorrow and the weekend, Ghills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I can't believe it has been a year already.
I know. Shocking how fast time goes by sometimes....

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

*bump*

Hard to believe it's been 2 years...

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Why would you remind everyone of this?

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
*bump*

Hard to believe it's been 2 years...
Wow, it's already been 2 years. It seems like it wasn't even a year ago. Time flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
To remember and honor those who tragically passed away in the accident on it's 2 year anniversary?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:54 AM
CaptPantalones

Lost a girl I knew from college and a friend of my moms on that plane.

I was less then 2 miles from the crash when it happened, but didnt know anything about it until we left the bar and took our friend home to Lackawanna/Alden and could see the smoke.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:24 AM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I was working at the Buffalo airport when the plane crashed.. we all thought it was a prop 2-seater plane. Then we got a call from Continental informing us that they believe it was their aircraft as they lost signal.

As I was leaving work I walked by family members of the victims who were waiting for their loved ones. That was tough, I couldn't even look them in the eyes.

They we're told the news about 10 minutes after I had left.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Ghills23

R.I.P. Aunt Mary Belle and all the other lives lost in this tragedy.

A lot was done this past year. My family as well as all the other families of the this tragedy fought hard for aviation safety.

President Obama signed the bill into law back in August that resulted in many changes to improve on aviation safety.

http://www.3407memorial.com/index.php

Old
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:

A lot was done this past year. My family as well as all the other families of the this tragedy fought hard for aviation safety.

President Obama signed the bill into law back in August that resulted in many changes to improve on aviation safety.

I am sorry for your loss. I know a lady who lost he daughter in thsi crash and she hasn't been the same ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne
It sucks but its just one those things that we as a community need to remember and honor. Its a disgrace that something like this neededto happen to open up the governments eyes to the farce that Continental was becoming. I only flew them once but never again, To get back here I flew JetBlue and the experience has a whole was great and I plan on flying with them next time I do....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Tachycineta

I work at a hotel that hosted the victims of the crash and the FAA workers for a month. What a terrible time. I remember seeing it on the news when I was getting to work. That's all we did all night- stare at the tv. My dad knew Alison DF.
Prayers are still with the victims' families and friends.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I am sorry for your loss. I know a lady who lost he daughter in thsi crash and she hasn't been the same ever since.

It sucks but its just one those things that we as a community need to remember and honor. Its a disgrace that something like this neededto happen to open up the governments eyes to the farce that Continental was becoming. I only flew them once but never again, To get back here I flew JetBlue and the experience has a whole was great and I plan on flying with them next time I do....
I love Jet Blue. Flew them to Florida ~1 week after this happened. I've only ever flown a few times in my life (3 total trips) but JB was the best flying experience that I've had.

On topic: As sad as today is in local history everyone is right we certainly need to remember it and honor/remember/pray for etc all those envolved.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I work at a hotel that hosted the victims of the crash and the FAA workers for a month. What a terrible time. I remember seeing it on the news when I was getting to work. That's all we did all night- stare at the tv. My dad knew Alison DF.
Prayers are still with the victims' families and friends.
If it's the hotel I'm thinking off can't recall the name. They did a great job and were very accommodating to all my family members from out of town.

We also went thereto get shuttled to the crash site a few days after. All the hotel and Red Cross staff were very sympathetic.

Old
02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Lost a girl I knew from college and a friend of my moms on that plane.

I was less then 2 miles from the crash when it happened, but didnt know anything about it until we left the bar and took our friend home to Lackawanna/Alden and could see the smoke.
I remember Teppo saying he could hear the explosion that night. I was in college about ready to go to bed when I stopped into a friend's room and saw he was watching the breaking news on TV. I didn't go to bed early that night after hearing about that.

I still remember how the Sabres handled it like it was yesterday. We played the Sharks the night after the accident and Lindy and Rivet both spoke and reached out to the victims and their families before the game that night. We won in the shootout 6-5 and the Sabres hoped that would help ease a little bit of pain. More importantly, all of HSBC arena stood to respect those we lost before the game started. It was nice to see a community come together like that, players, coaches, fans, and all.

Quote:

I'm glad Obama got that done. I saw Air Force One depart from the airport that day after he was done here and I'll never forget that.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I can't believe it's been two years...

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote