HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plane Crash in Clarence...

Old
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I believe this is the house that was hit:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...70357368818314

If so, there is no way only one house is damaged.
One witness was talking about "a small brick house" so it may have also struck the one immediately to the right in that shot.

Two firefighters injured, one has been released.

Flight 3407.

Condolenses to any touched by this tragedy.

02-13-2009, 07:06 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
One witness was talking about "a small brick house" so it may have also struck the one immediately to the right in that shot.

Two firefighters injured, one has been released.

Flight 3407.

Condolenses to any touched by this tragedy.
I looked at a slideshow on MSNBC.com that had a photo taken from the yard of the house next to that small brick house (grey house with a little porch) & from that vantage point, it looks like that little brick house is the one that was hit.

It's going to be a difficult weekend, I think.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
here's a audio of the KBUF traffic control between 10 and 10:30 pm. It's really intriguing how things went down. It's much less dramatic than the spliced edited for sound bites, but it's much more detailed on how they were talking to a couple flights about Icing and also about the "localizer" (electronic landing equipment) fluctuating at 1500ft which is 900ft above ground.

Audio link here

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who was inolved. So sad.

RIP.

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Hope everyone who posts here all the time and their families are safe. joshjull too!
Very doubtful joshjull would have been on that call. He's BFD, (city), I believe.

One of the places I stay when I'm back in WNY is 2 miles west directly off of Clarence Center road.

There are a bunch of parks / fields all along there. Makes you wonder if the crew was trying to / capable of avoid(ing) houses if they could...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:10 AM
CrankyJay

Dunno if this is possible, but my wife and I could have sworn we heard the crash all the way from where we live in Lancaster (near the high school). We were watching TV and just sort of looked at one another and then shrugged it off as the wind blowing against our garage door.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Tachycineta

wow, i was at work- my co-worker was picking up an air wisconsin flight (US Air affiliate) and saw the vehicles at the airport firsthand.

Prayers to everyone involved in and affected by this tragedy....

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
ranold26
The real Gahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Why would the Cleveland Control Tower be directing the flight in for a landing?
It wasn't Cleveland Tower, it was Cleveland Center/FIR. They handle all upper-level IFR traffic in that FIR sector. As a flight descends to its destination, the flight is transferred to that airport's DEP/ARR frequency, AKA Buffalo approach. This occured on the outer-marker of the ILS system, so the crew was likely in the process of doing their landing checklist[Flaps, gear, speedbrake, speed checks etc] when something horribly went wrong.
If I was a betting man, icing could have been a culprit here.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Dunno if this is possible, but my wife and I could have sworn we heard the crash all the way from where we live in Lancaster (near the high school). We were watching TV and just sort of looked at one another and then shrugged it off as the wind blowing against our garage door.
Doubtful. I'm in Williamsville about 30 seconds from Grenier Rd and I heard absolutely nothing. Some people that were closer than me reporting they didn't hear anything.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Even though I don't live in Buffalo, social networking, Google Maps and the internet in general make this so close to home. Here is the White Pages information about the person who lived in this house:

http://www.whitepages.com/search/Rev...caltime=survey

It is unbelievably sad.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

surreal. i had a client out in new jersey and i would take that exact flight home every thursday night when serving that client.

thoughts go out to all who have been touched by this tragic event.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Hopefully everyone here, along with their friends and loved ones are ok, because the community will never be. I've been watching CNN most of the morning after I heard an NPR report. CNN looks like they have one of the neighbors being interviewed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

This is just crazy. I heard about it last night and watched some coverage before bed but there was no video even from the local stations yet and it was still believed that it was a smaller plane than it was. To wake up and find out that 49 people passed is just nuts.

All my thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.

Still no word on any cause?

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Holy ****. Wow. What a tradegy.

It's going to be tough to get my fiancee on a plane next week.
Yeah, I'm going to have to take EXTREME caution to make sure my little guy doesn't see any of this coverage. It is his first flight and he is worried enough about the take off.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Terrible thing to have happen, but I'm amazed only one person on the ground was killed. Looks like the house was on the edge of some open fields to the west, with several more blocks of houses to the east. Not sure what kind of time the crew had, but it looks like they may have been going for the fields.

This isn't my area of expertise by any means, but if they were already relatively close to the ground and descending, I can see a major system failure only giving them a few seconds to act. If their first instincts were to try and steer clear of populated areas, that wouldn't leave them much time to make a distress call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
A lot of Sabres and former Sabres live in that General area. Clarence and East Amherst are fairly affluent districts in Buffalo Metro Area.
Growing up, my grandparents lived on Sheridan drive near Main, almost due south of the crash site. Interesting to know that so many Sabres are in the neighborhood.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

man that is horrible... RIP to Mr. Wielinski and the 49 people aboard the plane.

Was the plane a Bombardier Dash-8 by any chance??? I flew on one of those a few months ago from BUF --> LGA, and it was scary as hell - there were 15 mph (or so) winds when we landed, but the plane weighs so little, it made it feel like 70 mph winds.

I'm assuming it was some sort of mechanical failure -- maybe the Continental crew at Newark didn't de-ice thoroughly before takeoff?

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
OpethianSabre20

I just heard about the crash this morning because I was watching college basketball and went to bed afterwards. My deepest condolences to those who are involved with this in any way.

This whole thing seems dodgy to me though, planes just don't go straight down do they?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Clock

Quote:
Doubtful. I'm in Williamsville about 30 seconds from Grenier Rd and I heard absolutely nothing. Some people that were closer than me reporting they didn't hear anything.
Yeah, extremely doubtful. My boss lives about half a mile away and didn't hear / feel anything.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Terrible thing to have happen, but I'm amazed only one person on the ground was killed. Looks like the house was on the edge of some open fields to the west, with several more blocks of houses to the east. Not sure what kind of time the crew had, but it looks like they may have been going for the fields.
One witness reported the plane was heading from south to north right before it hit, and actually flew over the fire hall at the end of Long st. If that's the case, then it was completely out of control.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Struggle on Buffalo. Best wishes from Jersey

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
I'm assuming it was some sort of mechanical failure -- maybe the Continental crew at Newark didn't de-ice thoroughly before takeoff?
It was dry at Newark. There's thought that it built up rime ice on it's descent here.

Old
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
It was dry at Newark. There's thought that it built up rine ice on it's descent here.
Ahhh, I see... the more I'm reading about this though, the more it seems like it must have been some sort of mechanical problem and not a "controlled flight into terrain" (fog or snow causing poor visibility for the pilot)

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
Ahhh, I see... the more I'm reading about this though, the more it seems like it must have been some sort of mechanical problem and not a "controlled flight into terrain" (fog or snow causing poor visibility for the pilot)
Yeah the ceiling was 2100 ft. Either catastrophic mechanical failure or ice on the leading edge caused the plane to lose lift and it just dropped out of the sky.

Old
02-13-2009, 10:05 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Checking CNN, I noticed they had an article about flight 1549 being downed by canada geese (yeah, "downed" by geese - the CNN headline writers must enjoy puns.)

With the amount of open space in that area, I wonder if that's a possibility here as well. I assume a turboprop would be susceptible to birds getting sucked into the turbine, similar to a jet?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Leo W

I love about 2-3 miles away from where it crashed, I certainly heard it.. R.I.P. to all involved..

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote