HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plane Crash in Clarence...

Old
02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

vCash: 50
slightly OT, but how did that "buffalogeek" site get hold of the ATC communications so fast??? Is that stuff public-domain, or what?

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
The Real

vCash: 500
Really sad. Hug your family today guys.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Dunno if this is possible, but my wife and I could have sworn we heard the crash all the way from where we live in Lancaster (near the high school). We were watching TV and just sort of looked at one another and then shrugged it off as the wind blowing against our garage door.
Had a similar experience -- thought my son fell out of bed, went upstairs to check and he was still bundled up, sound asleep. It was around the reported time of the incident.

02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
slightly OT, but how did that "buffalogeek" site get hold of the ATC communications so fast??? Is that stuff public-domain, or what?
liveatc.net

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Checking CNN, I noticed they had an article about flight 1549 being downed by canada geese (yeah, "downed" by geese - the CNN headline writers must enjoy puns.)

With the amount of open space in that area, I wonder if that's a possibility here as well. I assume a turboprop would be susceptible to birds getting sucked into the turbine, similar to a jet?
Current conversation is about wing ice.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
zbubble

Quote:
With the amount of open space in that area, I wonder if that's a possibility here as well. I assume a turboprop would be susceptible to birds getting sucked into the turbine, similar to a jet?
I think the prop would shred the birds before they got to the intake. I doubt it was birds though - 10:20 at night they are sleeping.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
liveatc.net
ahhh, you learn something new every day... thanks!

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Juni

Thoughts from way over here are with everyone, hope nobody from here has anyone caught up in anything at all.

Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

has anyone heard anything from Joshjull yet? He's a firefighter in the area, isn't he?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
has anyone heard anything from Joshjull yet? He's a firefighter in the area, isn't he?
He's BFD city, I believe, and at one of the older stations.

Highly doubt he'd be on a call that far east, as it's:
1) out of their jurisdiction (By a relatively long way), and
2) I think Clarence / Harris Hill area is volunteer, but I haven't lived in WNY in a while.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Yeah, I'm going to have to take EXTREME caution to make sure my little guy doesn't see any of this coverage. It is his first flight and he is worried enough about the take off.
Haley's Dad called Sara saying he didn't want her on a plane. Of course he's probably going to get Haley all worked up over it instead of doing what you are. But I've already got a few tricks up my sleeve in case she gets scared (I don't think she will). And in his infinite wisdom, he said "Why don't you drive down there instead?"

Last edited by vcv: 02-13-2009 at 09:52 AM.
vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar View Post
I love about 2-3 miles away from where it crashed, I certainly heard it.. R.I.P. to all involved..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Had a similar experience -- thought my son fell out of bed, went upstairs to check and he was still bundled up, sound asleep. It was around the reported time of the incident.
It's odd. There are people here at work that are within 2 miles of the site and didn't hear anything. Then people 5+ miles that claim they did. Wonder what's going on with that...

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
2) I think Clarence / Harris Hill area is volunteer, but I haven't lived in WNY in a while.
Correct.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

thoughts and prayers out to relatives and friends of victims, just horrible........i live about 30 mins from here but im away at school and i couldnt believe it when i heard about this

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

FAA rep was saying that eight different crews of fire fighters were at the scene and taking three hour shifts so as not to get overworked.

My sympathies to all who lost a loved one or friend.

My wishes for safety in completing the task at hand for all emergency responders, and abig thanks to them also.

I have already had my secretary tell me she lost a friend on that flight. This is such a small community, so many of us will be touched one way or another.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
jpb

I was reading the CNN report on this, and they spoke with a David Luce - anyone have any idea if he's related to Don?

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:

You are correct we (the BFD) did not respond to this incident. Had it occured at the airport or closer to the city maybe but not that far away.

I was working last night and was wondering if they were going to send our Hazmat crews out but it wasn't necessary. As far as I know only our Salvation Army mobile canteen responded to supply the emergency crews with coffee, water, etc. I would also guess are department chaplain went as well since he is very involved with many of the departments in the area.

I believe the airport sent its firecrews out with their foam rigs as soon as the crash was reported.

My family had some anxious moments. My brother was due back from a business trip last night Thankfully he landed safely about 40mins after the crash. But my heart was in my throat waiting to hear from him.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-13-2009 at 11:26 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Ugh.

RIP and condolences to all those involved.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
It's odd. There are people here at work that are within 2 miles of the site and didn't hear anything. Then people 5+ miles that claim they did. Wonder what's going on with that...
Don't know. Just thought it was odd is all.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
jayintro86

Quote:
Terrible thing to have happen, but I'm amazed only one person on the ground was killed. Looks like the house was on the edge of some open fields to the west, with several more blocks of houses to the east. Not sure what kind of time the crew had, but it looks like they may have been going for the fields.

This isn't my area of expertise by any means, but if they were already relatively close to the ground and descending, I can see a major system failure only giving them a few seconds to act. If their first instincts were to try and steer clear of populated areas, that wouldn't leave them much time to make a distress call.

Growing up, my grandparents lived on Sheridan drive near Main, almost due south of the crash site. Interesting to know that so many Sabres are in the neighborhood.
article from wgr550 about sabres who live near crash:

Hockey not on the mind of the Sabres

Paul Hamilton Reporting

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- Many of the Sabres live very close to the crash site in Clarence Center of Coninental flight 3407. The thought of hockey tonight against San Jose was really not on the team's mind.

Lindy Ruff was visably upset speaking after the morning skate. Ruff said, "It's an incredibly sad day for our city. We've talked about it and it's going to reach a lot of people. You've got to get through it, it's an area where a lot of us live, everybody is going to know somebody that is going to be touched by this. It's a tough day for Buffalo." Ruff added, "It's all about the people we lost, the families that were touched and all our feelings go out towards them first then we'll worry about playing a game after that."

Patrick Lalime's brother in law actually saw the plane.

Teppo Numminen lives a block or two away and said, "I heard the plane coming while I was in bed and it sounded really weird, it sounded really close to us then I heard a little poof afterwards. I was thinking that doesn't sound good so I looked out of my window to see the red skies." Numminen lives on the approach to Buffalo/Niagara International Airport and has thought about it. "We hear lots of planes every night coming in, and I don't know if you always wonder, but you're used to it and we know how save it is to fly so we're comfortable with it."

Jaroslav Spacek lives a street away. He said "I saw the smoke, but decided to stay home. I got many text messages from home (Czech Republic) because my parents and my wife's parents wanted to make sure we're OK because they know Clarence Center." As far as tonight's game goes Spacek said, "Everybody's mind is somewhere else and then we have to play the game, but we have to come hard and do something for the city of Buffalo."

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
CrankyJay

Ugh...just found out at a company meeting this morning that 4 of my co-workers were on that flight. I am literally sick to my stomach right now.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:53 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Ugh...just found out at a company meeting this morning that 4 of my co-workers were on that flight. I am literally sick to my stomach right now.
I'm so sorry.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Holy crap, I'm sorry to hear that.

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

So many kids I know are around that area, over the summer that is where we hang out. By the 4 corners, thank god none of my friends were hurt.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
That's awful. Sorry to hear that, Quickdraw. Condolences.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote