HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gooch eats crow on....**Samsonov**

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 08:46 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Gooch eats crow on....**Samsonov**

Earlier this year I made the prediction that Sergei would be traded by the trade deadline. My reasoning was that his style, injury-proneness, and cost would be too much for Boston to eat...but a curious thing happened in Boston...the pressure to not sell off this year. Pickups of Nylander and Gonchar is proof to that pudding. And I must eat crow, b/c Sergei remains in Boston, and that is best for Boston fans as well, b/c the player is a talent.

Anyway...I must eat major crow on Samsonov but I did want to fill you in on why I thought he'd be dealt. He was certainly a requested commodity when it was near the trade deadline but Boston would not bite b/c he is very much a part of their plans. And it is good to see them spending a bit. Their spending philosopy (or more aptly, their lack of one) has really hurt them at times.

Other predictions right and wrong:

This year: i predicted Salo would move to Avs, after Marrkanan was dealt back to Edmonton, that was clear. I also felt Kolzig could have also gone, but obviously Kolzig's dictate that he needed to be starting goalie set his remaining in Washington in stone.

The Caps tried to "generate" rumors and sit out Kolzig, and there were interested parties...but the cost was high, his contract was hefty, and teams like Vancouver & Ottawa couldn't bite. And Avs did't want to take him to be their #1. I am surprised the Rangers didn't take him, however..since both teams are going nowhere this year..you might see a draft day deal with Kolzig being dealt to the Rangers. Blackburn will not be on the ice till July, and that is a long road to recovery for a guy who really needs a lot of minor league regularity to get consistency. They can ride with Dunham and McLennen...and rebuild. But they also have the money room for someone like Kolzig who is a cut above.

I predicted that the Isles made only one deadline deal...and only a dman to shore up the 5th or 6th slot. But, I had thought they'd take Ulanov from Edmonton.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:33 AM
PSUhockey34

I also felt Kolzig could have also gone, but obviously Kolzig's dictate that he needed to be starting goalie set his remaining in Washington in stone

No duh...you dont bring in $6.5 million dollar goalie as your number two guy, thats why the avs trade proposals never made that much sense b/c they were set in keeping aebischer as their number one...Salo was the perfect trade for the avs' situation, if aebischer goes south in the playoffs you got a guy who has a decent chance at bailing you out yet doesnt have a problem being the backup

As for Kolzig going to the rangers, I dont see each team being trading partners in this...both are in rebuilding mode and are looking for picks/prospects...so by default if the caps would trade kolzig to the rangers, it would be for picks and prospects which is exactly what the rangers dont want to get rid of

So what do the capitals do with kolzig now?

Old
03-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Titanium

Not a lot, probably!

Closed Thread