HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Stall?

Old
04-07-2009, 06:37 AM
wizworm

vCash: 500
Jordan Stall?

Anyone else out there think Howson should get on the phone before the draft this summer to try and swing a deal for Jordan Stall? I think he'd be a great fit in Columbus under Hitchcock. He's a big body and plays a strong two-way game. I don't think he's the ideal #1 center to play with Nash (he's not a true play-making center) but I would love to see what he could do lined up to Nash and given top six minutes.

Pittsburgh still has cap issues and Stall signed a 4 year deal worth $4 million a season so I'm sure they would consider moving him for the right price.

What kind of package would you be willing to give up to bring Stall to Columbus?

wizworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Never heard of him. Jordan Staal might be worth going after, though

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:44 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

John Taveras

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:50 AM
FiveHole23

Filatov, Brassard, Vorachek, Mason.

4 Names why we wont trade for Jordan Staal. They will all be better than Staal and we will need the money for them.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
BluejacketNut

I dont think we'll be active at all in the forwards market, short of hopefully resigning Williams. With Brassard and Filatov in the wings, I dont see them adding to the forward side. I think the blueline can use some additions, I think an upgrade to Russell would be welcomed unless he shows a dramatic change in size and also a replacement/upgrade for Backman and Klesla

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizworm View Post
I don't think he's the ideal #1 center to play with Nash (he's not a true play-making center) but I would love to see what he could do lined up to Nash and given top six minutes.
I would love to see what Derick Brassard could do lined up with Nash and given top six minutes.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
I would love to see what Derick Brassard could do lined up with Nash and given top six minutes.
Unlike wizwom, you will get your wish next season.

Agree wiz, that Staal would be a good fit with the CBJ, but IMO Vermette is where Staal would be - that acquisition makes Staal even less likely than he already was.

Old
04-07-2009, 07:17 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Agree wiz, that Staal would be a good fit with the CBJ, but IMO Vermette is where Staal would be - that acquisition makes Staal even less likely than he already was.
Correct. Jordan isn't half as good-looking as Antoine.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:27 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Unlike wizwom, you will get your wish next season.
As I've said before, I would not be surprised to see Vermette get the first look on the top line, next year. One possible lineup:

Juice-AV-Nash
RJ-Brassard-Vorácek
Modin-Williams-Torres
Chimera-Malhotra-Boll

Dorsett/Murray

Many things can change between now and then, but I still think Filatov will begin the season in Syracuse. The biggest difference may be on the backline - I think they have to add a legitimate threat to QB the powerplay. A defenseman who can keep the puck in the zone would be nice, too - Williams is awful at that!

Last edited by pete goegan: 04-07-2009 at 07:32 AM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

As was already mentioned the D still needs addressed with some offensive potential beyond Russell but I don't agree that Staal at $4M per year the next 4 years hurts our ability to sign our own players. In 4 years

Nash remains signed for several more years with his salary on the decline
Brassard is pushing UFA status (dont' think that would get that far though)
Voracek is still under RFA guidelines
Filatov is coming off his 1 year deal after his 3 year entry level deal
Mason is sill under RFA guidelines
Russell would be in his arbitration year
Any additional 1st round picks would still be on their entry level contract

Granted some of the players above will be seeing nice raises but as long as Columbus holds their rights there is little option for them within the NHL. So in my opinion he could fit and wouldn't be out of line with regards to money but I don't think it's our primary option any more. There is also that Vermette guy who can play any position and having 3 good centers would be amazing.

Personally I would like to see Patrice Bergeron be an option. Salary is a little higher but Boston has some decisions to make which could make him a little less expensive to get. ???

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:07 AM
EDM

Dead on Pete.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:14 AM
blahblah

This ship has probably passed us in the night.

I suspect any overhaul will come from as a defensive right handed shot that can play the point on the PP.

However, I fully expect Filatov to be on our opening day roster.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
wizworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
As was already mentioned the D still needs addressed with some offensive potential beyond Russell but I don't agree that Staal at $4M per year the next 4 years hurts our ability to sign our own players.
That was my thinking too. I think there's enough room to fit Staal in and still re-sign our young guys but I guess a lot of that depends on how much the salary cap will fall in the coming years and how much the team is willing to spend. They have some flexibility though since they have no huge, long term contracts currently on the books. We still need to sign Nash and the young kids but I think Staal could be a big addition to the core of this team.

But I can't argue that upgrading the backend will probably take priority over signing/trading for another forward this summer. We need someone back there to run the PP! But if he's available I'd love Columbus to go after Staal. I think he'd fit perfectly in Hitch's system.

wizworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizworm View Post
That was my thinking too. I think there's enough room to fit Staal in and still re-sign our young guys but I guess a lot of that depends on how much the salary cap will fall in the coming years and how much the team is willing to spend. They have some flexibility though since they have no huge, long term contracts currently on the books. We still need to sign Nash and the young kids but I think Staal could be a big addition to the core of this team.

But I can't argue that upgrading the backend will probably take priority over signing/trading for another forward this summer. We need someone back there to run the PP! But if he's available I'd love Columbus to go after Staal. I think he'd fit perfectly in Hitch's system.
I think Pittsburgh would either want one of the "untouchables" or a couple 1st round choices. Staal is a nice to have, but not a definite need. I think Howson will work to fill the teams needs: re-sign Nash, a PPQB, and a better bu goalie.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Skraut

We passed on Staal on when we traded for Vermette. In Vermette we got our 2nd line center who had been held back by 2 big centers ahead of him in the depth chart. We don't need another.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I've said it before and I'll say it again--I don't want Jordan Staal. He's not a true #1 center or even the 2nd best Staal brother. He's overrated from playing on a heavily offensive team like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh would likely want us to overpay for him on top of it. Screw that.

Focus on the backend in the offseason and find someone who can shoot a freaking bullet from the blueline and keep the puck in the zone.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again--I don't want Jordan Staal. He's not a true #1 center or even the 2nd best Staal brother. He's overrated from playing on a heavily offensive team like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh would likely want us to overpay for him on top of it. Screw that.

Focus on the backend in the offseason and find someone who can shoot a freaking bullet from the blueline and keep the puck in the zone.
While I agree with the second part. The first part is a little interesting.

He's not being payed as a true #1 center, so why are you beating on that drum? Watching the Pens play, he's pretty strong on the puck. He and Malkin can cause some headache's for teams. He also doesn't seem to be all the hesitant to go to the net, something we can't claim for a lot of our players. I'm trying to watch is play with and without the puck, and I don't think his play is inflated by their team.

He is only 20, I think he'll improve. I don't love him, but I don't hate him either.

The simple answer really, is with Vermette and Brass here, are we really willing to spend that kind of money on another top 6 center? I'm fairly comfortable going into next season with Vermette. We can re-sign Manny and maybe Williams and have some cheaper depth in the event of injuries.

Frankly, this is the most comfortable I've been with the top 6 going into an offseason. I think things all come down to the Nash negiotations on what we end up doing.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
LeeAuer

Send a message via AIM to LeeAuer
THREAD HIJACK!!!

Somewhat related... since everyone is convinced we're going to go after a PPQB, who would you realistically like to see back there?

Along those lines, if we get a good PPQB, do we split Commie-Hejda if they are a good defender too? I would highly expect not to see them split until one is traded or signs somewhere else in a few years.

LeeAuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
We passed on Staal on when we traded for Vermette. In Vermette we got our 2nd line center who had been held back by 2 big centers ahead of him in the depth chart. We don't need another.

Yep. Brassard, Vermette, Malhotra, Peca, Filatov, Novotny, Gratton

We're flush at center for next season and Staal would cost more than any of our current centers.

I really don't see Howson making any big moves this offseason. We're a very good team(3rd or 4th in the West since the ASB) and we're only going to get better as Russell, Brassard, Mason, Voracek, and Filatov mature.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Doug19

I'm very happy with our forwards, the only moves we will see this year are depth moves for Columbus/call-up and maybe a defender that can play every night (not a Backman or Rome type).

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
section 204

Forget Staal, and while we're at it, we might have to forget Jason Williams.

I'm sure that other teams have noticed that given the right opportunity, the guy can be a point producer with flexibility to play on the wing as well as qb the pp. He won't be a bargain unless he just absolutely loves the Blue Jackets organization and wants to give us a discount. He's got 46 pts on the season, and he played the first half of the year on the Titanic in Atlanta. He'll command 3-4 mil. per and much to the surprise of many fans, he'll be a fairly hot commodity this summer. This year's Ron Hainsey.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
While I agree with the second part. The first part is a little interesting.

He's not being payed as a true #1 center, so why are you beating on that drum? Watching the Pens play, he's pretty strong on the puck. He and Malkin can cause some headache's for teams. He also doesn't seem to be all the hesitant to go to the net, something we can't claim for a lot of our players. I'm trying to watch is play with and without the puck, and I don't think his play is inflated by their team.
No you're right, he is very strong on the puck and has the type of body and game that Hitchcock loves. He's more of a goal-scoring center and I'm not as interested in getting one of those as I am a playmaker. Our teams overall passing skill isn't very good and hasn't ever been very good. I don't think Jordan is much of a passer. He's not playing as a #1 center in Pittsburgh and I wouldn't want to play him as a #1 here, yet that's what we need until Brassard proves he can take that spot.

I guess 'inflated stats' is a bit subjective. I don't think his stats are lying about the type of production he can achieve. I only meant that his stats wouldn't be as high on our team based on the fact that Pittsburgh plays an offensive minded game where we play the reverse. All in all he's not a bad player, just a player that I don't like. I have to admit that he's one of those guys that I'll be following closely for the next few years to see if I'm justified in my read of things.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Rimers stache

DO NOT WANT HIM!!! I think we have 6 legit top forwards. And a veteran third line, with modin, malhotra, torres would be great. Where does filatov fit in?

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
No you're right, he is very strong on the puck and has the type of body and game that Hitchcock loves. He's more of a goal-scoring center and I'm not as interested in getting one of those as I am a playmaker. Our teams overall passing skill isn't very good and hasn't ever been very good. I don't think Jordan is much of a passer. He's not playing as a #1 center in Pittsburgh and I wouldn't want to play him as a #1 here, yet that's what we need until Brassard proves he can take that spot.

I guess 'inflated stats' is a bit subjective. I don't think his stats are lying about the type of production he can achieve. I only meant that his stats wouldn't be as high on our team based on the fact that Pittsburgh plays an offensive minded game where we play the reverse. All in all he's not a bad player, just a player that I don't like. I have to admit that he's one of those guys that I'll be following closely for the next few years to see if I'm justified in my read of things.
Fair enough, I tend to agree with a lot of what you wrote other then I think his production would probably be fairly close on this team.

Nice reponse.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yep. Brassard, Vermette, Malhotra, Peca, Filatov, Novotny, Gratton

We're flush at center for next season and Staal would cost more than any of our current centers.

I really don't see Howson making any big moves this offseason. We're a very good team(3rd or 4th in the West since the ASB) and we're only going to get better as Russell, Brassard, Mason, Voracek, and Filatov mature.
For the record Brassard and Vermette are the only two signed for next year and I don't see Filatov breaking into the NHL as a center (although I wouldn't mind it since he'll play low in the lineup anyway).

I think if you look at that group of centers there are two potential top 6 centers, 1 wing who will be a center(maybe) one day and 4 fourth line/AHL centers in that group. I'm not saying go get Staal but I still think it's an area of need for this club. You also need to add Williams to that list. Although not a classic 3rd line center, he has offered a good game for Columbus since coming over.

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote